April 29, 2024, 03:17:09 AM

Author Topic: Fevrier wants better marketed Pro League  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fevrier wants better marketed Pro League
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »
Fevrier wants better marketed Pro League
By Renaldo Matadeen (T&T Newsday)

AFTER LEADING W Connection to their fourth Pro League title and first since 2005, coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier, has pleaded for more sponsors and corporate investors to take the game forward in Trinidad and Tobago. Fevrier outlined that this a major facet necessary for the league’s running to attract younger players into the sport and away from crime.

“Digicel has sponsored this edition of the Pro League and we are grateful for that but there are cricket competitions that are played one-off or over the course of a couple of weeks, and millions are dispensed in this short space of time to the participants and eventual winners. Yet the Pro League runs for nearly an entire season, which is close to a year, and the winners receive a couple hundred thousand dollars. More investors should present themselves,” lamented Fevrier. He expressed gratitude for the payments and prizes but admitted it was unfair to see much more money dispensed and pumped into other sports while a dedicated, season-long premier football competition suffers financially.

The former national coach admitted that it was hard for clubs to recoup earnings as it is exorbitant to run and maintain a club for such a long period without experiencing difficulty in recovering investments from the prize money.

“We (local clubs) need more marketing at the helm as it is a technological era and we must get people from home to come to matches. Market the league better and fill the stands. Do not give people an excuse to abscond from matches. Ensure they come out and in this internet age, we can appeal to the masses,” he continued.

He pointed to things such as Carnival, parties, cars, drinks and other consumer products that reap benefits of such marketing and vehemently called upon such methods to be employed to attract football fans.

“This can encourage growth of the game. More fans, means more money and the quality of the league raises with these incentives. The influx of players will rise, and with more youth, it is more quantity for the national team. That is how we can feed and input to the national level,” he professed.

“Millions from sponsors can raise the standard of the league and sponsors will get their mileage in advertisement over the course of the year and not just for a few weeks. It’s mutually beneficial and a win-win to all parties. Such incentive raises professionalism throughout with clubs and fans and it becomes more elite a league. We must reach the international standard that we see on television,” he confessed.

Using Twenty20 cricket as a reference, he also indicated that prizes such as player/coach of the month were accolades that needed to be reinstated. Fevrier confessed that this would lead to healthy jostling in the competition and spur younger players’ aspirations forward. He believes it would propel younger coaches, who may have a propensity to go abroad.

“Stadiums and grounds need to be improved. Referees’ quality and spectators are all part and parcel of the game. We need to uplift fans so they can see they are missing top football,” added the St. Lucian. He referred to areas such as Marabella and Arima where community football thrives and hoped that the Pro League would be getting a welcomed financial injection soon to enhance prosperity of the league. He concluded by voicing that football never left the communities and the grass-roots arenas but that it was the fans who failed to come out to support the league in droves.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fevrier wants better marketed Pro League
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Yeah boy coach...read on and go tell them.
We wont charge you for plagiarism here...as long as the message gets heard  ;D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
I would like to comment on this topic because I feel like I have some knowledge is the Marketing field. I ‘m work on my masters and it’s in Marketing. When a listen to these people talk about more market is needed I ask myself did the league have a plan yes marketing plan is required before you even start your business. One will notice that I said business you see the pro league operators may not see the pro league as a business. They may just see it as a means to make some money beg the government for hand outs and so forth.

I also ask this question did they the (Pro LEAGUE) determine what market in Trinidad they were going to focus on example young people between the ages of 18 – 25 or older people from 25-45 patrons with families, women, internet generation. How about this one who or what is my completion EPL, Spanish German hell all the league  that can be viewed on TV and internet. Have they the ( PRO LEAGUE) conducted surveys in Trinidad and Tobago to find out what percentage of the population is well and able to  go all over the island to view games or would they radder stay home a watch from the comforts off their homes.

What about product can the league put a product on the field that would have people coming out to see? Is it worth my time and energy. Is there a system to groom young player coming out of the school league. Is the public even aware of  the Pro League and what it means to hundreds of young players and why they need support. I’m afraid that the answer to these questions will never be answered because all this was supposed to be done before the league even started. 

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
Bally, I think most, if not all your ideas were discussed at length right here on the forum in a couple different topics since the league just started.  Do a search and check it out.  As a matter of fact the Admins could easily merge this topic when the time is right.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
I know i had some I’ve had input in those topics as well if you go way back you see some of them when we had the old forum I just pointing out the obvious   

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
I know i had some I’ve had input in those topics as well if you go way back you see some of them when we had the old forum I just pointing out the obvious   

Okay breddah  :)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »

Hi Bally, with the greatest of respect....before you can market a product, you must first market yourself. Your previous post was very hard to absorb because of poor grammar and spelling. One or two typo's are ok, but you need to use the spell check if you can. It doesn't matter if this is only a football forum....you know that all kinds of people read this board. Maybe Skeene or David John Williams are looking for someone to add to their marketing, but reading your post may turn them off??

As for the clubs, they never, ever make a profit. Its just not possible. Digicel put $600k per season into the league. A clubs monthly wage bill for playing staff will be between $50k and $100k and that's without coaches, physios, kitman, admin staff, Reserves, youth teams, training expenses, travel costs, uniforms, training kit, match officials fees, paramedic fees, ball boys, concession staff, gatemen, phone bills, office costs.

Williams, Mahabir, Shabazz and the guys at Rangers and Jabloteh (and Uncle Jack too) are contributing their own money to carry the clubs. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are keeping professional football alive.

Fervier is right about sponsorship. Carib will spend more on one fete than they contributed in a season of sponsorship. Football get the crumbs left over after cricket has eaten the pie. And if you check carefully, those who spend the corporate money are cricket fans. Of course, you get more attendance at cricket than football, but that really shouldn't be the case. After all, its easier to find 2 hours to watch football than all day to watch cricket.   

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »
I understand that money is needed eh, but to be honest, there is very little effort in my eyes, being made to even remotely attract the fans...the Pro League needs not just a proper marketing plan, but a proper business plan as well. In depth SWOT analysis etc. I know some will say men doing it for the love of the game, but at some point that just isn't enough, especially when we talking about money.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »
I wonder why football has hit rock bottom in terms of attendance and sponsorship. Growing up football has always been the main sport of the people, when the sport news came on at night; the football highlights were always first then cricket afterwards. I remember growing up as a SFN fan, the savannah used to be packed with Belmont supporters for every game. To me it seemed like an event because you saw everyone from the neighborhood, even young ladies from time to time. When SFN played Rangers you could even get a spot to view the game because the place was packed with Belmont and St. Anns spectators supporting their home based team and players. I’ve even heard lots of stories for the “older heads” about teams like ASL, Malvern, Peterborough, etc. and their games drew large crowds.  Now I get the impression that no one attends games anymore, or maybe it's just the Pro league games?

I find it shocking to hear the investors are willing to make contributions to cricket as opposed to football. I've witnessed many live club cricket games and the attendance was poor compared to football, at least in the north so I'm not sure what kind of return on investment financers would've gotten from cricket in the north at that time. I'm not sure what caused this turn around these days where cricket seems to be the main sport and football is declining. I have nothing against cricket but apart from the WI, to me some club games in the south and night cricket had large crowds.

Could it be that investors do not want to put capital in anything that JW is associated with? Is it because the product on the field at the Pro league games is not worth it to the fans? Is it because most of the Pro league teams are not really affiliated with a community so people of the area do not really relate with the teams or players? Maybe the Pro league admin lacks organization, structure and the league wasn't a well-executed plan?

I'm not sure what the answers are, perhaps it's all the above or I could even be way off base but I find it astonishing when I hear hardly anyone attends games and the league is lacks sponsorship. An idea could be to get someone from the cricket admin as a consultant to help the football association in finding ways to resurrect club football. Sorry for the long post but I thought I'd vent a little because I really cannot comprehend how club football is not generating support anymore.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:54:27 PM by soccerman »

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:20 AM »
This is ahh forum to voice our views on football matters not and English writing forum.
The first thing you have to implement when starting a new business or enterprise is a marketing plan.
There are proven methods of marketing which would include most of the stuff I posted and a lot more,  it would take a 10 page paper to complete. The Pro LEAGUE started in 1999 to help TTFF win the rights to host the Under  17 world cup. This was done for that sole purpose not to upgrade our football. I will not go into much detail because it’s irrelevant my point is this Pro League had three major changes in ownership in the last 10 years and no one has implemented a proper plan. The problem with you is everybody think they have to solution and nobody wants to implement it.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:57 AM »
Congrats to Fevrier , he seems to be consistent at this level! I know he learnt a lot from Gally who is the one who brought him from StLucia to play with one of the first semi pro teams we had in Trinidad and Tobago when he was player/coach!
He is doing a good job so far! Sorry not many fans coming out to support! We must realised everything is linked! National football is at an all time low! If things get fired up again and community based as suggested in the past by many of our top stalwatrts and now being considered by the Ministry of Sport maybe we will get better support! There is so much wrongdoing ,it is taking the fun out of football people are just fed up!
I am hoping good sense will prevail and things will be put right soon because the country desperately needs a fiilip!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »
All the things Charles mentioned is true. But right now local football sucks. Football unlike cricket does not have the WI/TT tandem. If local cricket is the dumps you have WI cricket look forward too. If WI cricket in the dumps you have the much improved local team to look forward too. If both in the dumps, well we know how it feels.

Football is all on its own. I don'twant to reharsh Jack era. It was what it was. We have to build back from scratch. The pro-league trying but they not able, especially on the marketing end. First of all the football season too long. AT this moment we should not follow the FIFA calender. We are not England and Spain and them Euros. In the 70s that had a better chance of success. Right now the season should go back to Jun-Dec. and possibly overlap in Jan/Feb. Make the season more compact. Do away with the Toyata Cup. Asked them to sponsor the FA trophy instead. The Police/DF/SOE issue not helping the league also.

Right now this league is too much of a roving league. Find a way to let them play as close at home as possible(for the "home" matches). We have discussed the issue of builds small community field to allow this to happen.

As difficult Thas it may sound, the proleague has to seperate itself from the TTFF. The people in the pro-league have to get a "charismatic" female or male to do their marketing. They need to convince their sponsors or potential sponsors that their is something in it for them(sponsors) and show them the benefits. THERE MUST BE TRANSPARANCY.  People who put their money want something in returnand also wants to see something good come out of their sponsorship. Just imagine all the companies that previously sponsored TTFF, reading about Jack saying Camps had the check, Camps saying Warner had the check. Watson and Groden saying that they were too afraid to step on Jack toes and so they did his bidding. Allyuh really think sponsors want to deal football with them. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:59:33 AM by Deeks »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
This is ahh forum to voice our views on football matters not and English writing forum.
The first thing you have to implement when starting a new business or enterprise is a marketing plan.
There are proven methods of marketing which would include most of the stuff I posted and a lot more,  it would take a 10 page paper to complete. The Pro LEAGUE started in 1999 to help TTFF win the rights to host the Under  17 world cup. This was done for that sole purpose not to upgrade our football. I will not go into much detail because it’s irrelevant my point is this Pro League had three major changes in ownership in the last 10 years and no one has implemented a proper plan. The problem with you is everybody think they have to solution and nobody wants to implement it.

Bally, my point was that in order to gain respect for your ideas and ability, you have to present yourself correctly, even here! As I said, the very people who could give you employment could be reading this right now.

If you have good ideas, why not approach the Pro League or one of the clubs? It would certainly assist in honing your marketing skills. A word of warning though...unlike business school projects, before you can design and implement a marketing plan, you will have to go out and win some sponsorship. Once you've achieved your funding, then you can build your strategy.

Its chicken and egg time. To achieve sponsors you need something of value to sell, and the ProLeague has minimal supporters and minimal T.V. coverage, so whats the buy in for a sponsor? Once you achieve sponsorship, then you may be able to use some money to market, but most clubs will require all of that money to run the team, so you're back to square one!

I'm not saying its impossible, but it sure ain't easy! But they certainly need some fresh ideas, so you should really contact the League or a club and get stuck in! 

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
Congrats to Fevrier , he seems to be consistent at this level! I know he learnt a lot from Gally who is the one who brought him from StLucia to play with one of the first semi pro teams we had in Trinidad and Tobago when he was player/coach!

My information is that Earl John (EJ) was the one who brought Fevrier to T&T at age 17 after seeeing him play in a match in Saint Lucia. He however played with Gally.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Who is Earl John? I know there a fellow St. Lucian called Earl Jean who played so years for Connection. He much younger than Charles.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »
Who is Earl John? I know there a fellow St. Lucian called Earl Jean who played so years for Connection. He much younger than Charles.

Earl John affectionately known as EJ was from Arima & was President Of Fulham Football Club (the fiirst club Fevrier played for). He also worked in Concacaf's office with Jack. He was a retired Principal Of the Chaguaramas Youth Camp, and was also at one time President of the Trinidad & Tobago Basketball Association. He unfortunately passed away sometime last year or year before (can't recall exactly) from prostate cancer.
I am sure persons on this board from Arima will have much more to say about EJ.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »

Earl John affectionately known as EJ was from Arima & was President Of Fulham Football Club (the fiirst club Fevrier played for). He also worked in Concacaf's office with Jack. He was a retired Principal Of the Chaguaramas Youth Camp, and was also at one time President of the Trinidad & Tobago Basketball Association. He unfortunately passed away sometime last year or year before (can't recall exactly) from prostate cancer.
I am sure persons on this board from Arima will have much more to say about EJ.

Now that you mentioned basketball, I seem to have a vague memory of the name. But meh pardner Sati Boodhoo started of with Fulham and played with Maple for a little. He told me that if Stuart Charles was a citizen who could have made TT team on the spot.

1]; } ?>