April 19, 2024, 12:33:26 PM

Author Topic: West Indies vs England - Second Test  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
West Indies vs England - Second Test
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
After winning the toss and choosing to bat, W.I closed day one on 304/6.  An excellent unbroken  7th wicket stand  between Sammy and Samuels of 168 rescued W.I's from the brink after another top-order collapse. Sammy 88 n.o and Samuels 107 n.o. :applause:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: West Indies vs England - Second Test
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
 :beermug: :beermug: good fight
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
It's good that Marlon made a hundred. He appears to be in good form. I hope he and Sammy can extend their partnership tomorrow. West Indies  at the very least need to make 400 to be competitive.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
Was following on Cricinfo and just turned to see how they finished at stumps.  Damn, what a recovery.  Looks like Samuel has learned a thing or two from Chanders, after that 1st test partnership.  Good to see some discipline creeping into the other batsmen on the field.  And skip ain't do too bad either; he seems to be coming in with the bat these days.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
Will we have a full squad after this test?
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
If Sammy get dat 100 a national holiday in St.Lucia
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
If Sammy get dat 100 a national holiday in St.Lucia

;D
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 04:09:57 AM »
I was one who thought Sammy wasn't worth his place on a West Indies team but he is proving to be a capable bat at test level,so far so good,if he carries on in that way there should be no arguements about his inclusion on the team but I dont think he has the instincts of a captain.We know Bravo's ability as a test cricketer which is not in doubt and if there is a choice between Sammy and Bravo the latter will win hands down,now what about Pollard and Russell,even those 2 are considered better than Sammy.Many great batsmen have started off as bowling all-rounders I wonder if Sammy is heading in that direction,it seems that way and I hope he continues bcaus we need batsmen and even bowlers come to that.Sammy appears to be a nice down to earth sort of bloke and I do like him,but as cappo we can do better,best of luck to him and the team...a hundred please.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »
The top order putting real pressure in the rest of the line up, leaving the middle guys to constantly pull the fat out of the fire. Too often WI not capitalizing on the changes in momentum or pressing their advantage.

Barath needs to hold his shape and keep his stance closed a bit more instead of trying to work the straight deliveries to the onside. In England he will go down to slip all day with a simple outswinger pitched on middle and off. That is what Anderson and England basically doing to him all day.

Bravo and Powell trying to force things and pushing too hard at deliveries so it is only a matter of time before  slips come into play  with any swing or lateral movement off the pitch.

Look at how Chanders played at Lords and in the first innings....not much movement and playing the ball at the last minute with soft hands. Some of his boundaries were just pushes into the gaps.

But that is the difference between novice and experience.

We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
Bullshit score !
Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:40 AM »
I think for the next Test they should  bring in Nash for Edwards.

BN is in form and presently in England.

VB

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 05:16:15 AM »

VB

Edwards should never be on any test team again...he just isn't test material. Also, I think I've had just about enough of Barath..He has been given ample opportunities to prove himself at international level but he has failed consistently...enough is enough.  Simmons should be considered for an opening spot sooner rather than later, I just hope he distinguishes himself in the upcoming series against a fairly strong India A team.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »

VB

Edwards should never be on any test team again...he just isn't test material. Also, I think I've had just about enough of Barath..He has been given ample opportunities to prove himself at international level but he has failed consistently...enough is enough.  Simmons should be considered for an opening spot sooner rather than later, I just hope he distinguishes himself in the upcoming series against a fairly strong India A team.

Edwards has has a poor run affected by injury and loss of form. His record to date (prior to this tour) is decent enough so I wouldn't just say "he is not test material." As I said before Barath has some minor things to iron out and needs to be a bit more patient ...especially in England.

I thing Simmons should be in the team but he does himself no favors by not cementing his place.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
Michael Vaughan, BBC Test Match Special

"In the 80s when Viv's team used to hammer England, West Indies had better players than England, now England have better players than West Indies, who only seem to have five players. The top four's techniques don't look quite ready for Test cricket. I don't think England have got out of third gear, I don't think they have been stretched that much. I always think at the end of a Test match how many West Indies players would get into the England side? I'd say probably none."

Dis man is ah arse. Chanderpaul, Bravo, Samuels, Edwards and Roach could make dat team.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
BACK 2 WHAT WE USUALLY DOES LOOSE IN 4 DAYS.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »

VB

Edwards has has a poor run affected by injury and loss of form. His record to date (prior to this tour) is decent enough so I wouldn't just say "he is not test material." As I said before Barath has some minor things to iron out and needs to be a bit more patient ...especially in England.

I thing Simmons should be in the team but he does himself no favors by not cementing his place.

Edwards is a fantastic player. However, like his countrman Braithwaite he's experiencing a lack of form. It happens.
Bravo, Edwards and Braithwaite started this batting crap. The first two had a fantastic 2011.
Bravo is battling through the lack of form. however, Edwards needs to be rested.

Nash was unlucky not be in the 16. Apparently a double century and good form in the regionals was not good enough.

VB
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:46:59 AM by vb »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
Not just the top 4 batsmen are to blame, but the WICB and coach as well. How many England players missed this series as a result of the IPL?= 0. Compare that with the west indies IPL players who should be in the team. Gayle, Narine, Bravo. I will suggest we will win the one dayers with a full strength squad.

The coach, well, how on earth can these batsmen be so susceptible to LBW and it not be corrected by the coach. These guys forever playing back to balls they should be forward to. What's the point of a coach?

Offline Conquering Lion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »
Not just the top 4 batsmen are to blame, but the WICB and coach as well. How many England players missed this series as a result of the IPL?= 0. Compare that with the west indies IPL players who should be in the team. Gayle, Narine, Bravo. I will suggest we will win the one dayers with a full strength squad.

The coach, well, how on earth can these batsmen be so susceptible to LBW and it not be corrected by the coach. These guys forever playing back to balls they should be forward to. What's the point of a coach?

It is easier for England players can choose to forego IPL because of their salary, sponsorship and retainer contract structure .

Batsmen are geting trapped LBW because they are hesitant in their strokeplay and are neither moving forward or backward. If you look at Samuels, he is trying to push forward and playing late with soft hands. He is in form and mentally seems so have a good idea about what he is trying to accomplish each innings he plays.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:23 AM »

It is easier for England players can choose to forego IPL because of their salary, sponsorship and retainer contract structure .

Batsmen are geting trapped LBW because they are hesitant in their strokeplay and are neither moving forward or backward. If you look at Samuels, he is trying to push forward and playing late with soft hands. He is in form and mentally seems so have a good idea about what he is trying to accomplish each innings he plays.

Exactly, the WI have tried. They've offered players good packages by WI standards, however, they simply cannon compete with the IPL

VB

1]; } ?>