March 29, 2024, 02:36:39 AM

Author Topic: Carlos Edwards Thread  (Read 34116 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos Edwards Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »
WATCH: Former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carlos Edwards talks about his time at Sunderland AFC.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AWpzSUFaEYY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AWpzSUFaEYY</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2020, 05:46:51 AM »
WATCH: In this 45-minute plus conversation, former national midfielder Carlos Edwards talks about his days at St Anthony's College under head coach Nigel Grosvenor, his transition to Wrexham AFC, what his current status as a youth coach at Ipswich Town is like, and what his hopes are for football in Trinidad and Tobago.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5h7cz9R2UkU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5h7cz9R2UkU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
Former Ipswich Town player Carlos Edwards relieved of managerial duties at Woodbridge Town
By Liam Apicella (Suffolk News)

On the eve of the 2020/21 season getting under way, Woodbridge Town have decided to part company with manager Carlos Edwards.

The former Ipswich Town player signed dual registration terms with higher-league Bury Town last season and he went on to make six appearances for the Isthmian League North Division outfit.

And it is that link with the Blues that has prompted the Woodbridge board to make their decision, though they added he remains signed on as a player.

A Woodpeckers statement read: "Carlos has been playing for Bury Town on occasions that there hasn't been a fixture clash with Woodbridge, with the consent of WTFC.

"However, the board insist that as manager, Woodbridge Town Football Club and the required duties associated with the role should come first. This is for the benefit of the players, supporters and the club as a whole.

"This level of commitment is a must and unfortunately it has recently become an issue that the board believe have made the manager's position untenable.

"Carlos has had his first taste of English non league football with us and we have been very fortunate to share that part of his career with him.

"He really has been a joy to watch and has been a vital part of the team during the past three years. We have been privileged to be able to gain from his experience as an ex-professional."

Woodbridge also revealed the former Trinidad & Tobago international has been replaced on a caretaker basis by Glenn Snell, who has drafted in ex-Debenham LC and Harleston boss Leon Moore for support.

Moore told the Woodbridge website: "I'd like to thank the chairman and Woodbridge Town for giving me this opportunity to come in as caretaker manager alongside Snelly.

"It's not an ideal situation we find ourselves in (this close to the start of the season) but Glenn and I are here to win as many games as possible, whilst playing an entertaining brand of football.

"We've had a positive reaction from the players and it's time to look to the future. I'm looking forward to meeting the fans who are going to be vital over the coming weeks to get behind the team."

The duo's first game is the Emirates FA Cup tie against Biggleswade on tomorrow night (7.45pm).

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ex-Ipswich star Edwards signs full-time for Bury Town
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
Ex-Ipswich star Edwards signs full-time for Bury Town
By Carl Marston (Bury Mercury)

Bury Town fans had a taste of Carlos Edwards in action for their side last season, and now the 41-year-old ex-Ipswich Town star is set to play a bigger part in the Blues’ 2020-21 campaign after signing full-time for the Ram Meadow club.

Edwards turned out for Bury from last February, whenever his main club Woodbridge Town, for whom he was joint player-manager, didn’t have a fixture. It was a dual registration that worked out well for both clubs.

But the Trinidad & Tobago international is no longer part of the set-up at Notcutts Park, having stood down as manager, and so is free to turn out at Step Four for ambitious Isthmian League North outfit Bury.

Ben Chenery’s side begin their season with a trip to Northamptonshire tomorrow, for an FA Cup preliminary round tie at Step Five Cogenhoe United, of the United Counties League.

Blues boss Chenery said: “I am very pleased to have Carlos with us full time.

“His experience will be invaluable for our young side, and he is still a terrific player.

“The rest of the squad will learn a lot from him and he is a great person to have around the club.”

Veteran Edwards is still remarkably fit, for a 41-year-old, having originally begun his professional career in the UK with Wrexham in 2000. He signed for Ipswich in the autumn of 2009 from Sunderland, for a combined fee of £4m with Grant Leadbitter, and went on rattle up 192 appearances for Town, initially as a winger under Roy Keane and then as a right-back under Paul Jewell.

He is set to celebrate his 42nd birthday next month, on October 24, but should still be capable of doing a fine job for Bury Town, probably in the middle of the park.

Meanwhile, Woodbridge Town put out a statement at the start of this month, with regards Edwards, saying:

‘The Woodbridge Town Management Board have regrettably taken the difficult decision to relinquish Carlos Edwards of his managerial duties at the club with immediate effect.

‘The decision was certainly not taken lightly but one which the entire board were forced to make .... for the best interests of The Club.

‘Carlos has been playing for Bury Town on occasions that there hasn’t been a fixture clash with Woodbridge, with the consent of WTFC.

‘However, the board insist that as manager, Woodbridge Town Football Club and the required duties associated with the role should come first. This is for the benefit of the players, supporters and the club as a whole. ‘This level of commitment is a must and unfortunately it has recently become an issue that the board believe have made the manager’s position untenable.

‘Carlos has had his first taste of English Non-league football with us and we have been very fortunate to share that part of his career with him.

‘He really has been a joy to watch and has been a vital part of the team during the past three years.

‘We have been privileged to be able to gain from his experience as an ex-professional.’

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
But the Trinidad & Tobago international is no longer part of the set-up at Notcutts Park, having stood down as manager, and so is free to turn out at Step Four for ambitious Isthmian League North outfit Bury.

It HARD for these writers to refer to Carlos as "ex" or "former" T&T international. Well, ah guess dey right. He still balling and we might still be calling.   ;D

#howtocreepto100 #yuhneverknow #abnormalNC

And look ah next one (from Reply #107)

The Trinidad & Tobago international, 39, who played almost 100 times for the Caribbean island, including in the 2006 World Cup Finals, as well as more than 170 times for the Blues, is back living in Ipswich after a spell in his homeland.

Dey does call him ex or former everything else but international. Ah feel he send palos ah Century 21 sign for de igloo in Sea Lots.   :rotfl:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:38:44 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
‘I bear no grudge’ – ex-Ipswich Town star Carlos Edwards on his Woodbridge Town exit
By Carl Marston (East Anglian Daily Times)

Carlos Edwards has spoken out and insisted that neither he, nor Woodbridge Town, bear any grudges after the two parties parted company at the start of this month.

Ex-Ipswich Town star Edwards, a former joint player-manager at Notcutts Park, has signed full-time with Bury for this season and played a key role in the Ram Meadow club’s 1-0 win at Cogenhoe United in the preliminary round of the FA Cup on Saturday.

An earlier statement issued by Woodbridge Town had revealed that the Thurlow Nunn Premier club had been forced to ‘relinquish Carlos Edwards of his managerial duties at the club with immediate effect,’ a decision ‘made for the best interests of the club.’

But the Woodpeckers also wished Edwards all the best within their official statement, and insisted that they felt ‘privileged to be able to gain from his experience as an ex-professional,’ while the 41-year-old himself still holds the East Suffolk club in high regard.

“I bear no grudge with Woodbridge, and Woodbridge bear no grudge with me,” insisted Edwards following the FA Cup win at Cogenhoe.

“It’s all been very amicable, and I will always be grateful to Woodbridge Town for giving me my first chance in non-league football.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Woodbridge, since 2017, and they have an excellent young team there. I wish them all the best for the future.

“But I now want to do well at Bury, and it’s a chance to play football at Step Four level, while I still can. When the opportunity arose, I had to take it. Hopefully, I can still do a job at this level. It’s a chance to help out the younger players,” said Edwards.

Veteran Edwards is still remarkably fit, for a 41-year-old, having originally begun his professional career in the UK with Wrexham in 2000.

He signed for Ipswich in the autumn of 2009 from Sunderland, for a combined fee of £4m with Grant Leadbitter, and went on rattle up 192 appearances for Town, initially as a winger under Roy Keane and then as a right-back under Paul Jewell.

He is set to celebrate his 42nd birthday next month, on October 24, but on Saturday’s evidence at Cogenhoe, he can still be very effective at Isthmian League North level with Bury this season, as a defensive midfielder.

“I’d like to score a couple of my trademark goals for Bury, but that maybe later in the season because I’m playing in a deeper role,” said Edwards.

“It might take a while now. I might have to bully a few of the lads like Cemal (Ramadan) to get on a few penalty-taking duties!”

Edwards continued: “The aim is to get in the top six, that is the aim this season.

“Our aim is to be up there challenging for honours, that should be the aim of all of us. If we can finish in the top two that would be a bonus.

“Saturday was a battling win (1-0 victory at at Cogenhoe). The gaffer (Ben Chenery) did his homework in midweek and we came with a game-plan, which worked well.

Long may it continue.

“With the quality that the boys have, hopefully my experience can help with a bit of talking about what it takes to win a game.

“I’m looking forward to the season, hoping to play a few games. I’m sure the gaffer will be sensible, with my game playing me whenever possible.

“We have a few injuries and niggles, and it’s going to be a long season.

“I will just play my part whenever possible. The gaffer is looking for promotion this season, and we are all pulling in the right direction.

“For me, regardless of what level you are, it’s always going to be a a challenge.”

Bury have been drawn at home to Brightlingsea Regent in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup, to be staged at Ram Meadow next Tuesday, September 22.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2020, 05:40:03 PM »
I joke about the longevity of Carlos Edwards, but I've learned since then that one of his contemporaries has not only made a return to the field, but is said to be one of Latas' reinforcements to boost the Barbados squad. Emmerson Boyce ... Intriguing.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »
Former Town star Carlos Edwards having a huge impact at Bury – but when will he score?
By Carl Marston (East Anglian Daily Times)

Bury Town are by no means a one-man band – they have the core potential to be a very successful team this season – but Carlos Edwards has added that missing ingredient at Ram Meadow.

Former Ipswich Town star Edwards, who celebrates his 42nd birthday later this month (on October 24), delivered a man-of-the-match display in the middle of the park during Saturday’s FA Cup 4-1 triumph over Waltham Abbey.

The Blues have been drawn at home to Nuneaton Borough in the third qualifying round of the competition, following Saturday’s success achieved in front of a Covid-19 restrictions capacity crowd of 400.

Fellow Suffolk club Leiston’s reward for a 2-1 win at Leighton Town in Saturday’s second qualifying round is a home match against AFC Telford United.

The draw was made this lunchtime.

Bury will fear no one, after a terrific start to the season, helped by Edwards’ calming influence in midfield – he signed up with the Blues this summer, after parting ways with Woodbridge Town, where he was a joint player-manager.

“Carlos does all the simple things so well. He’s such a calming influence on the pitch,” enthused Bury boss Ben Chenery.

“I think it gives the players a huge lift when Carlos is playing, because they feel as though they gain confidence from him.

“He’s been there, seen it and done it.

He has time on the ball. He played further forward to start with (against Waltham Abbey), and then sat further back later in the game.

“I’m just amazed he hasn’t scored yet! But he’s getting closer,” added Chenery.

The Blues are attracting all-ticket capacity crowds at the moment – that was the case on Saturday, and also applied to the previous midweek league clash with Great Wakering Rovers, which ended in such controversy.

That game was called off due to fog, with Bury leading 5-0 with just seven minutes remaining. The Blues are still hoping that the Isthmian League will decide that the result should stand, rather than insist on a replay.

“We have submitted our report, and so has the referee,” explained Chenery.

“The League meets again in another month, when we hope that common sense will prevail.”

As regards the all-round strength and potential of his squad this season, Chenery explained: “It takes time to build something special.

“We are building something here and we are improving all the time.

“The players have put something back into the club with this cup run, and this will go some way to making the club sustainable during some very difficult times.

“We are getting 400 fans to every game – the fans are turning up in their droves.

“It’s funny really. We could probably have got 600 in here (for the FA Cup tie against Waltham Abbey), because there is so much interest in the club.

“I thank the supporters. They are creating the buzz, they are buying the tickets and they are coming through the gate.

“The club is in a very healthy position, but I am fully aware that we have to make sure we stay humble ,and that we keep our foot flat on the pedal.

“We must not change from our identity; we stay focussed.

“I feel there is a good buzz in the camp, and I have built a core group.

“The likes of Carlos Edwards, Ollie Snaith, and Baris Altintop have come in and improved us still further for this season,” added Chenery.

Bury still have a number of injured players waiting to come back, experienced players like Ryan Stafford, Ryan Jolland, Joe White, Ollie Fenn and Ryan Horne,

The Blues are home to Dereham Town in the Isthmian League North this Saturday.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
Passion from Carlos Edwards: 'You can't be an Ipswich player and not push for promotion... This is Ipswich Town we are talking about!'
By Mike Bacon (East Anglian Daily Times)

Former Ipswich Town skipper, Carlos Edwards, says Blues players have promotion 'in the palm of their hands' and its up to them to 'go the distance'.

In a passionate plea, the 42-year-old who played almost 200 times for the Blues and was players' player-of-the-year in the 2011/12 season believes, despite Town's recent poor run of form, the team are more than capable of promotion, and should look to grab it with both hands.

He also says Town's injury crisis should act as a spur to fit players to retain the shirt - not ever be worried they are set to lose their place.

"For the Ipswich players, promotion is in the palm of their hands. As a player, it is up to you to take it and go the distance," Edwards said.

"Ipswich are too much of a big club. You can't be an Ipswich Town player and not push for promotion in any division you are in. This is Ipswich Town we are talking about here.

"I played for Ipswich and Sunderland. And now look, you have two of the bigger clubs in English football fighting to get in the top six of League One. That's crazy.

"Ipswich shouldn't be fighting to get into the play-offs, they should be top three."

Edwards, who is currently plying his trade for Bury Town in Isthmian North, was a popular member of both Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy Town teams. He signed for the club in September 2009, along with Grant Leadbitter, for a combined fee of £4m. He left Town five years later.

And he's not convinced injuries to the Blues team should stop their progression.

"Fortunately, as a player, I never had to hope someone got injured for me to get a run of games," he said.

"Then again, I used to be pushing all the time. If the manager didn't want me to play, fine. But if I had the shirt, I wanted to keep it.

"If a player is injured and you are in the team, you must make sure he has a nightmare trying to get back in the team when he is fit.

"That's how it was when I played. Today, too many players have a run of games because someone is injured, but in the back of their minds, mentally, they are already thinking when so and so comes back, he'll play.

"But you can't think like that, hell no. You have to make sure when that player is fit, he has to wait, he has to wait for you to get injured before he gets his place back.

"Ipswich are good enough to go up. I have no doubt they can go the extra mile."

Edwards is still coaching at youth level with AFC Sudbury, while playing for Bury Town. He was doing some coaching at the Ipswich Academy, but not know.

The non-league game is currently suspended and there is talk it will be null and voided, something Edwards hopes won't happen.

"I don't want to think of it," he said.

"It would really be tough because the boys at Bury and the management have worked really hard this summer to get fit, both physically and mentally. We went on a good cup run, but have only played four league games and it is obviously a headache to even think about it being written off.

"Of course everyone's health is more important, but I hope they can find a way to get the season up and running."

But if it is null and voided, will that be it for Edwards - he will be nearing 43 years old when next season starts?

"You put me on the spot!," he laughs.

"I think I would say, I'd give it another year. I enjoy it that much. I think some of the younger lads like having me around, even though I think some of them think I'm about 25!

"I have no problem playing 90 minutes because I'm naturally fit. If the gaffer wants me to stay another year that's fine by me. But I'm happy for the boys to step up and give me less playing time if that's the way it is.

"But say, I did pack up, I would still be in the thick of it at Bury. Ben Chenery, the chairman, Russell Ward and Alan Lee, it's a fantastic back room staff for that level.

"They have the recipe for success."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
WATCH: Carlos Edwards discusses his early days in football and his time at Sunderland.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vOYUEWPaf2A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vOYUEWPaf2A</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Carlos Edwards reveals what it was like to play under Manchester United icon Roy Keane
By Jake Bacon (talkSPORT)

Roy Keane will send ‘shockwaves’ through Scottish football if he is appointed Celtic’s new manager. That’s according to Carlos Edwards, who played under the Manchester United legend at both Sunderland and Ipswich.

Despite not managing a club since leaving Ipswich in 2011, Keane is one of the bookmakers’ favourite to succeed Neil Lennon at Celtic, who surrendered their Scottish Premiership title to Steven Gerrard’s Rangers this season.

And Edwards, who was signed by Keane for Sunderland in 2007 before linking up with him again at Portman Road two years later, has backed his former manager to be a hit in Glasgow.

“If Roy gets the job, give him time, that’s all he needs to be successful,” he told talkSPORT.

“It would be massive. All you’ve got to do is look at Stevie G at Rangers. He’s been in the job for almost three years and you can see the big change.

“Now, with a new face and a new challenge coming into that Scottish league, it would be even bigger.

“Roy Keane vs Steven Gerrard, who had battles with each other for Manchester United and Liverpool, that would send shockwaves through Scottish football.

“He would get the backing of the fans there. He’s been out of management for a long time, but I don’t think it would be a concern because he is a football man.

“He knows the ins and outs, he’s played at the highest level. He’s been an assistant to Martin O’Neill [at Aston Villa, the Republic of Ireland and Nottingham Forest].

“So just being around football for such a long time, I don’t think it would be beyond him.”

Keane guided Sunderland to the Premier League in the 2006/07 campaign, before leading the Black Cats to a 15th-placed top-flight finish.

The Irishman resigned from his role in December 2008, but jumped back into management with Ipswich four months later where he signed Edwards for a second time.

Edwards revealed his teammates used to up their games in training due to Keane’s accomplishments as a player, which saw him win seven Premier League titles.

The former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder said: “He used to join in on the training sessions quite a lot. He used to love that.

“He used to take the mick out of some of the guys sometimes because he still had those touches.

“By him joining the training, it gave the guys that extra spark to impress him a bit more. That was a good sign.

“Sometimes he’d just sit back and watch the training and have his second in command and first-team coaches do a bit.

“When it came to the nitty, gritty side of it, making sure everything is solid and secure in team selection, he was the man at the forefront.”

But Edwards, who now plies his trade with non-league club Bury Town, admitted Keane went ‘overboard’ with his criticism of players at times.

He added: “I got a few bollockings for messing up in games and causing a few goals, but I never got the brunt of it.

“Roy had his moments when he let a few steams out, which is understandable.

“He went overboard at times, but as a player you had to sometimes take it on the chin and just try to move on.

“When emotion gets the better of you, which happens to most people, a few words were said.

“In my career with him, I never saw him physically go at anyone, but words can hurt a lot. There were times he could have dealt with things in a different way.”

Edwards recalled how every player had to always be on their ‘A-game’ under Keane.

“There were always tough moments because every player had to be on their game,” the 42-year-old added.

“If training started at 9am, he would like you to be at training maybe an hour before, he’d like you to socialise with your teammates and have a bit of breakfast.

“The guys bought into the philosophy he brought in because you’re only seeing each other for a short space of time during the day, but he wanted us to be more connected on and off the field.

“Everybody had to be on their A-game when it came to him, not just in games, but in training, in the way you carry yourself, because you’re not just representing a Roy Keane player, you’re representing the club.

“So he made those things very, very clear to the players.”

Keane is often seen dishing out harsh truths as a television pundit on Sky Sports. And Edwards insists what viewers see on television is exactly what you get in person.

He explained: “Roy was very hard to read. He had a good pokerface. I always say to people what you see on the television with Roy is exactly the way he is in person.

“He’s not changing for anyone. He will tell you it as it is and go about his business.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »
Edwards appointed Women’s Senior Team Assistant Coach.
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association is pleased to welcome Carlos Edwards to its National Teams set up as the former international has been appointed as Assistant Coach for the Senior Women’s National Team.

Edwards, a UEFA B Licence holder, will join head coach Kenwyne Jones and his staff which is currently preparing the current squad for the start of the 2022 CONCACAF W Championship, Women’s World Cup qualifying round . Edwards’ appointment takes place on the heels of the departure of previous assistant coach Charlie Mitchell.

Edwards was appointed after the TTFA worked with Jones to determine a shortlist of qualified candidates who share a similar coaching philosophy and who Jones has a synergy with given the short time frame.

On taking up the position, Edwards, 43, expressed delight and enthusiasm on joining Jones’ team.

“When I got the call from Kenwyne indicating his interest in me coming on board, obviously for me it was a no brainer. It was an opportunity for myself to work for the country once again and try to give something back. I know it’s not going to be easy but nothing good comes easy as I can vouch for with my experience on the playing side of it,” Edwards told TTFA Media.

“Now the opportunity comes to do a bit of coaching, to pass on a bit of knowledge and to work with my former teammate. And it’s something special. I am looking forward to hit the ground running really hard.

“I will try to do what I have to in order to make Kenwyne the best manager (coach). That’s part of my job which is to assist and make Kenwyne as good as possible and to obviously give the ladies something they haven’t get seen from my side in terms of my input as a coach,” added the former Sunderland player.

“I hope everyone on board will pulling in the right direction because it is an opportunity for the women’s team to achieve some success. I am grateful for the opportunity and looking forward to it.”

Edwards worked as a coach in the TTFA U-15 set up in 2016 and has also worked with the Ipswich Town Academy. He is also attached as the head coach of the AFC Sudbury U-15s and worked as a coach with Bury Town in England.

Jones, a teammate of Edwards in the 2006 World Cup squad, commented on the appointment, saying “I think Carlos is a fantastic addition to the national set up. He is another player who has played for the country, representing at the highest level and now being able to be involved in our football again in a mentoring capacity. We are absolutely delighted to have him on board and we hope that this could be another point in building for our future as Trinbagonian coaches and players,” Jones said.

The full squad will assemble for a residential camp next week leading up the opening CONCACAF W Qualifier against Nicaragua carded for February 17th at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Further details on the upcoming fixture will be presented in due course.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2022, 04:07:02 PM »
Win or lose. I’m happy that experienced individuals are giving back of their time.  :applause: :salute: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2022, 07:18:50 AM »
Win or lose. I’m happy that experienced individuals are giving back of their time.  :applause: :salute: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Entirely curious wording ... especially the giving back of time bit ... Iz like yuh foreboding non-payment.

Welcome to the ride Carlos Edwards. Learn and succeed.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2022, 12:49:53 PM »
Played for Both: Former Sunderland and Luton midfielder Carlos Edwards
By Christopher Nicholson (si.com)

He will always be best known for that goal, the one that sent us back to the Premier League. Yes, of course I am talking about that absolute screamer against Burnley.

Born in Trinidad and Tobago, Edwards attended St Anthony's College in Westmoorings, the same as future international and Sunderland team-mate Kenwyne Jones. He started his professional footballing career at Defence Force in the T&T Pro League (Trinidad and Tobago professional league).

Edwards moved to England after a successful trial at Wrexham in 2000 signing for a fee of £250,000. It's fair to say that Edwards time at Wrexham was a successful one.

Helping the team to promotion to the Second Division in 2003, Edwards also made the PFA Third Division team of the year. He made the team of the year again the following season.

Edwards also won his first bit of silverware when Wrexham took the Football League Trophy in 2005.

At the end of the 2004-05 season Edwards left Wrexham on a Bosman transfer, joining this weekend's opponents Luton on a three-year deal. He became a popular figure at Luton, winning the Young Members Player of the Season award during his first season at the club.

Edwards was a part of the Trinidad and Tobago squad that took part in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. This was the first and, so far, the only time Trinidad and Tobago failed to get past the group stage, picking up just one point.

Along with the rest of the squad (which included other former Sunderland players Kenwyne Jones, Dwight Yorke and Stern John) Edwards received a Gold Class Chaconia Medal - this is the second highest state honour of Trinadad and Tobago.

In January 2007, after being convinced by then Sunderland boss Roy Keane, Edwards was to link up with fellow national teammate Dwight Yorke. He signed a three-and-a-half-year deal with the Black Cats for a fee of £1.5 million.

It's fair to say Edwards' Sunderland career started positively, with him scoring five goals during the rest of the season and helping the Blacks Cats gain promotion back to the Premier League.

In fact, it was Edwards' winner in the 80th minute versus Burnley that confirmed promotion to the Premier League - and what a goal it was; an absolute screamer. Drink it in.

Edwards' first full season at the club was to be a frustrating one hampered by injury. Only two games into the season he fell victim to a hamstring injury, then shortly after returning from that injury he suffered a leg fracture. He returned towards the final months of the season and contributed to Sunderland's survival in the Premier League.

The following season saw some new faces at the club, meaning game time was hard to come by for Edwards. He joined Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers in October 2008 on a three-month loan. His time at Wolves was a short one though, and he was recalled in November after only six appearances for West Midlands side.

Reuniting with former manager Roy Keane, Edwards joined Ipswich in September 2009 with fellow Sunderland team-mate Grant Leadbitter for a combined fee of £4 million.

Edwards' time at Ipswich was a success, winning Players Player of the Season in 2012, and in the same season he became Ipswich captain. However, in the 2013-14 season Edwards found games hard to come by and in March 2014 he joined Millwall on loan.

His move to Millwall was made permanent in May 2014 when he signed a one-year contract, however an injury early in the season ruled him out of most of the 2014-15 season. Edwards was released at the end of his one-year contract but later re-signed for Millwall for the 2015-16 season, helping them reach the League One play-off final - which they lost to Barnsley.

On leaving Millwall Edwards returned to Trinadad and Tobago to play for Ma Pau Stars in the TT Pro Leagues. He then signed a short three-week contract at TT Pro League team Central FC to take part in the Caribbean Cup.

In 2017 Edwards returned to Sussex and joined non-league Woodbridge where he became joint player-manager in 2019. He then left to join Isthmian League's Bury Town - where he had already been playing due to an arrangement with Woodbridge which allowed him to play for Bury Town when he didn't have a game for Woodbridge.

He is still playing at Bury Town at the age of 43 and also holds a coaching role at Ipswich, a role he has held since 2018.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2023, 02:39:41 AM »
Have we seen the end of the Jones, Edwards coaching era ? I guess since they didn’t have a ticket to observe the U 20’s.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2023, 09:32:34 AM »
Former Ipswich Town, Sunderland and Luton Town player Carlos Edwards signs for Hadleigh United
By Liam Apicella (Suffolk News)

Hadleigh United have secured the services of former Premier League player Carlos Edwards.

The 44-year-old, who played every minute of Trinidad & Tobago’s campaign at the 2006 World Cup, made almost 500 league appearances in English football’s top four divisions, turning out for the likes of Wrexham, Luton Town, Sunderland in the top flight and Ipswich Town.

More recently he has been playing for Bury Town at Step 4, but he has now switched to fellow Suffolk side Hadleigh United in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division.

A post on Hadleigh’s Twitter feed read: “We would like to welcome Carlos Edwards to the club.

“Carlos will bring plenty of experience to the club on and off the pitch. We are delighted to get this one over the line. More signings to be announced soon.”

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2023, 01:35:29 PM »
I guess that means he not coming to player-coachwe O40 fete match team. Dem paying he 💰, we full on 🍺 and 💨 yuh know, Carlos.

1]; } ?>