April 18, 2024, 08:18:43 AM

Author Topic: Best Roti Shops  (Read 10503 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Best Roti Shops
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:25:53 AM »
What's your take. These are according to Maco Caribbean

http://www.macocaribbean.com/Articles/999/Trinidad-and-Tobagos-Ten-Best-Roti-Shops-.html

1. Wings, Sawmill Trace, Pasea, Macoya

‘The best of the best’.  Even Machel Montano can’t resist the pull of the roti! Though everything is good, the curry duck can actually be described as bliss. The approach here is simple and fundamental, but well done. The buss-up-shot (paratha) is almost transparent when held up to light - thin, silky, heavenly.  No beef, no boneless chicken available – boneless is for girls anyway. The homemade “mother in law” is the perfect pepper compliment, but go easy if it’s your first time. The place has character, beer and rum available, service is good but parking can be tricky.

2. Shianne’s, Cipriani Blvd

Variety for days! If you can’t find something you like here, chances are you are in the mood for KFC, not curry. The chicken is awesome, the goat is wonderful (and I’ve heard the shrimp is pretty good!) Three different types of pepper sauces are available - red, green and yellow. There are sides a-plenty to choose from, so don’t miss out on the pumpkin and bodi (long green beans).  If you need some advice ask Shianne herself as she is often there and on hand to tell you all about her favourite cricket stars. Good character, great food, no alcohol, and terrible parking.

3. Don’s Roti, Morne Coco Rd, Petit Valley

This one is probably one of the more unassuming locations for a truly great roti shop - hidden amongst a strip of dive bars in the midst of Petit Valley and is referred to as one of the finest roti’s in the country. Don’t be afraid to wind your way through the drunks and homeless folk that sometimes decorate the front - this is a true roti hot spot. Once inside you may have a wait, but it’s worth it!

4. Highway Roti Shoppe, Uriah Buttler Highway, Freeport

To get to this place you must first park illegally on the side of the highway, make your way across a small bridge. No wrapped roti, they serve all buss up shot and meat, which means you get to sop up all that ‘nirvana of curry goodness’. All meats are top class. You also have the unique option of “dougla” (a curry/stew blend). Service is fast, no alcohol, a slight crisp on the buss up shot.

5. No Name, Yellow building, Behind Royal Castle Maraval

The roti may look small but it packs pleeeenty goodness, and you are almost guaranteed that the gravy will run down your arm! Must drink a red solo with this roti for old time’s sake. Its a brilliant tribute to long time roti shops. Fast, inexpensive and straight to the delicious point!

6. Patraj, Backchain Street, El Soccorro

It’s impossible to talk about roti without mentioning The Original Patraj on Backchain Street in San Juan. Possibly the most famous roti shop in the country, it was established in the 1970s. A great roti shop in a legendary location, but be wary of the crowd. The line can stretch from the front to the parking lot. 

7. Sylvie’s, Backchain Street, El Soccorro

Directly opposite Patraj is Sylvie’s. A bustling roti shop that some say surpasses the most famous roti shop of all. Possibly it’s because their batches are smaller and the roti just as soft and silky as it’s meant to be, this place is good! Try the shrimp roti with their home made pepper sauce and you’ll find out exactly why people opt for her instead.

8. Ali’s, Backchain Street, El Sccorro

Great curry! Completely worth the long line and the inevitable traffic. Inside you can expect some sketchy patrons, but sit tight, the boss lady has it all under control. Take it to go.

9. Rena’s Roti Shop, Old Milford Rd, Scarbrough, Tobago

It’s a little harder, but you also find very decent roti in Tobago! Rena is friendly Trini that makes a delicious roti with all the fixings, guaranteeing a filling meal. Delicious, rich curry but expect a wait.

10. Blue Hut, Mt Irvine Beach, Tobago

Possibly the most beautiful place in the world to eat a roti. Overlooking the world famous Mt Irvine waves, the lovely lady will make the whole roti right in front of you. She won’t make too many, so get there early and ask her to tell you about life in Tobago. Make sure to walk with something to drink while you wait. The roti will not disappoint, and the view is breathtaking.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Best Roti Shops
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »
This has to be an old article because Shiannes has moved from Cipriani blvd about 2 yrs now and are located obliquely opposite 96.7 on tragarete rd and corner woodford st. That said...they expensive and the quality drop big time.

I could endorse all the others and yes they tasty. The yellow building behind Royal Castle in Maraval not bad, but where they located dread...dey have a drug block there in Boissiere and is level piper lurking.

I would like to offer Vinushtas on Edward St in the Nealco food court as a contender and I also give big big pips to Mona's Roti in Vistabella...a Mona's does lash...real hard.

Long time a Govieas Roti on Marli Street and a Dopsons Roti before they moved to Maraval road were roti to contend with...now that giving yuh level heartburn...dey ent choonkeyin the curry good.

But my personal favourite and real people does scorn it...a pavement dosti roti from Khanhi on St James main road, by Mooneram St. Corner.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:39:19 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »
This has to be an old article because Shiannes has moved from Cipriani blvd about 2 yrs now and are located obliquely opposite 96.7 on tragarete rd and corner woodford st. That said...they expensive and the quality drop big time.

There was no date, but it's on the front page of the blog, plus the 2 comments were from the last 2 days. I guess they just based it on old info.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
Wings is damn good...plus the set up nice.
Get the chicken...only take the duck if you staying at home...  :D
whey boy!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
Not me and that Wings nuh.. Is only every now and then i will take a dip.

Ah mean it does taste good eh, but something about that curry does sit down on me whole day.

If i eat that for lunch, i not eating again till the next day and forget a sweat or any physical activity. That curry does ride yuh hard.

Lovies in Tunapuna to de world..

And Shiann's for a Shrimp buss-up.

Will have to sample a couple others from that list.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »
Ann's by the old airport does lash.

still love meh hott shoppe in st james tho
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
Jackie just past Mt Irvin by the surfers beach.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
wings have ah wicked curry pork and buss up shot....but the best curry is ah river lime
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »
Alis is de best hands down, when ah land dais one ah de fuss places ah does go.  On de foreign front Tree House in LA had a wicked roti, doh ah eh eat one in a while, add Bake N Tings to dat list in Brooklyn, ah find NY fuh we large population hardly have good roti spots, come like a chipotle chain fuh mexican food.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »

went to school in puna for 7 years. after breakin biche d next stop was lovies where we somtimes got caught from the teachers who went to buy there..ahhh...good times...

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 04:44:39 AM »
sombody need to pull up a map and mark these spots down so i could sample them...........
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
highway roti is absolute garbage..Inside gran couva by the small cricket field have a bess lil roti shop too..
Back in Trini...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
So they just opened a place here in Palo Alto, CA next to my favorite deli that sells "Burrotis".

Checked it out, nothing to do with T&T apparently, but still curry filled roti - but also you can add rice and fresh ingredients like cucumber, lettuce, tomato. I suppose the name is inspired by the high Mexican population around here.

http://www.tavaindian.com/Blog/?p=373

I'll have to try one the next time I'm over there.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
So they just opened a place here in Palo Alto, CA next to my favorite deli that sells "Burrotis".

Checked it out, nothing to do with T&T apparently, but still curry filled roti - but also you can add rice and fresh ingredients like cucumber, lettuce, tomato. I suppose the name is inspired by the high Mexican population around here.

http://www.tavaindian.com/Blog/?p=373

I'll have to try one the next time I'm over there.

once had a date wid a young lady dat sey ah roti was nuttin more dan a indian burrito, she only lass one date
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Maybe a burrito is a Mexican roti.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »
I eh no south man, but ah find dis blog/article eh mentionin nutten from south.  And from wha I understand, some a de bess roti from South.  Meh cousin dem does swear by some place by Marabella roundabout.  I know back in de day, we used to leave town and drive quite Siparia fuh roti from a place call Ibahar's.

South peeps....allyuh fall een nuh. :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:31 AM »

There is a decent Roti Shop in Boston that I go to sometimes. They have the full range, shrimp, goat, boneless and bone-in chicken and beef, even kuchela. But they also have other local food, peas and rice, stew fish, mixed veg macaroni etc.

It does turn my stomach to see people come in, order a "wrap" and fill it with rice and peas, stew chicken, cabbage, carrots and onions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:48:55 AM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:04 AM »
palos marabella have quite a few roti spots off the main road that decent. Had a small roti place right by the police station, don't know if it is still there nah. My personal favourite is a lil place in St Margarets Claxton Bay. Still stop there anytime I heading south.
Never had roti regularly in Debe and Penal so can't comment on there.
Anyone who like Hott shoppe from mucurapo shud be shot.
Back in Trini...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 07:22:58 AM »
Hott Shoppe with their pale roti skin in a travesty.

My favourite was a tiny shack between Montrose and Todd's Road in central, run by an old couple.
It real outta the way but I used to have business up that side on a weekly basis.
Man that thing was delicious, and their pepper sauce was excellent. 
I used to get a giant vegetable roti for $4. This is ten years ago so it probably triple in price now.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »
Would love to comment on the "south" good roti, but the only roti I ever purchased in TandT was street food in St James late carnival monday night when meh belly was bawlin. So you cud imagine how good that tasted. the other is the spot in bago that Observer mentioned (good call dey Observer).

Some Toronto joints cud match or rival any in Trinidad and Tobago. But if have a few that does over-do it with the curry. thing does stain your fingers green for days!

Make at home:
http://youtu.be/j0WsEmdkIh4

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »

went to school in puna for 7 years. after breakin biche d next stop was lovies where we somtimes got caught from the teachers who went to buy there..ahhh...good times...
for real....lovies have some good eatin.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »
Palos lard yuh bring back memories dey. Ibahar  :beermug: was boss roti. Plus man use to stop along what was called the Debe Mall side of the road roti, sahina, doubles, etc etc.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

giggsy11

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
Ms. Dolly in St. James almost opposite Mucurapo Girls. Don't know if she still in business.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
palos marabella have quite a few roti spots off the main road that decent. Had a small roti place right by the police station, don't know if it is still there nah. My personal favourite is a lil place in St Margarets Claxton Bay. Still stop there anytime I heading south.

apps boy...dem used to make good roti boy...for real i wonder if that still around.   man used to rate up  karamath's on coffee street also but i never really buy from them.   

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »

apps boy...dem used to make good roti boy...for real i wonder if that still around.   man used to rate up  karamath's on coffee street also but i never really buy from them.   

Yuh mean Humming Bird! Good roti late night and some sweet daughters  ;D
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

was dealin a west ting while goin poly...she rate up hott shoppe roti so much...after buyin it, seein it, an eatin it, i realised i should start endin d relationship

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »

Yeah, been to this one as well by the police station, but it's been a few years.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
Back in de day it used to have Mangal's by de corner of de Savannah and Belmont Circular Road (jes after de roundabout to go by Hilton).  well papa, dat was a MASSIVE forkane roti!  And de dhal phuri was such dat wit each bite, peas flyin everywhere.  De curry wasn't exactly de bess...lil oily fuh my taste but dey didn't used to hold back on de meat.

Yuh could EASILY get 3 meals outta dah 1 roti.  Pressha

Somebody mention Gouveia's on Marli St.  Dat was right in meh neighborhood (used to live on Woodford St dem times) and was a bess roti.  Mr. Gouveia self wit he glasses and what seemed like a permanent smile painted on (kinda made him look lil weird) used to sell dem heself.

Dese days, Shianne on de corner of Woodford St and Tragaret Rd (where de original woodford cafe used to be) is very good.  Still like meh Patraj too.  And of course, yuh cyah beat a Don's on a Friday

Where I livin in vancouver, it have one place yuh could go to get roti.  It eh bad but is not de bess needah but when yuh have no choice, yuh take wha yuh could get.  It have a lady called Bebe does make a bess dhal phuri (my favourite) and buss up shut, but yuh have to order from she.  When last ah was in Toronto it seem like it have roti shop EVERYWHERE.  And all kinda people....chinee, white people, african, middle easterners, etc know bout it and does have it regular fuh lunch.  Tings sure changed from when I used to live dey in de late 90's.  Hopefully one day, Vanouver will get so.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:37:50 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
They had a lady in St James, use to sell in the back of her house, can't remember name. Use to have to walk up the side of the house and go to the back. Good roti, with choice of bodi or chana. As a South man I have to give her props.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »

karamaths is meh wife family......have some ah they dahlpuri in de freezer right now.

1]; } ?>