April 20, 2024, 01:19:11 AM

Author Topic: T&T bid for Carifta improvement  (Read 4444 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T bid for Carifta improvement
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
T&T bid for Carifta improvement
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Apr 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM ECT
Story Updated: Apr 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM ECT

Improvement is the goal for Team Trinidad and Tobago at this weekend's Carifta Games, in Bermuda.
Team manager Dexter Voisin described T&T's fourth-place finish at the 2011 Games, in Jamaica, as "a big disappointment".

"We definitely want to regain our position on the Carifta stage. We want to improve our position from last year."

Voisin told the Express that while all the team goals were not achieved at last weekend's Falcon Games, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, he was pleased with some of the individual performances.

Keshorn Walcott was outstanding, the Toco thrower winning the men's javelin with a 77.53 metres throw--a new national junior (under-20) record, as well as a Central American and Caribbean (CAC) junior record. Walcott will bid for a hat-trick of boys' under-20 javelin titles in Bermuda.

"As manager, I welcome that performance going into the Carifta Games," said Voisin.

Boys' under-20 sprinters Jonathan Holder and Jesse Berkley were also impressive at the Falcon Games. Holder finished third in the men's 100 metres final in 10.54 seconds, while Berkley won the boys' under-20 century title in 10.59.

"I was satisfied with what I saw, especially Berkley. That is a plus for us."

Kernesha Spann topped the women's 400m hurdles field in a personal best 58.61 seconds.

"Spann has been very consistent at the last three Cariftas. I remember her as a mere 12-year old on the team. Now, she has matured and is a senior athlete. I expect a lot from Spann at this meet."

Jereem Richards also clocked a personal best on the weekend, the World Indoor Championship 4x400m bronze medallist winning the boys' under-20 200m in 20.92 seconds.

In the boys' under-20 400m, Machel Cedenio struck gold in 47.73.

"Jereem's experience at World Indoors would have helped him a lot. He's still highly motivated.
"And Cedenio," Voisin continued, "looks very focused. I expect the best from Cedenio."

The team manager said there are "no major concerns where injuries are concerned".

"We're in a very good position, going into the Games. That's always a plus."

Voisin was scheduled to arrive in Bermuda yesterday.

The 45 athletes selected to represent T&T at Carifta 2012, as well as the other team officials and the medical staff leave for Bermuda today.

"The decision to take a smaller team," Voisin explained, "was based heavily on funding. Also, some coaches did an analysis of athletes over the past three to four years who went to the meet, and whether they got a medal or not. The analysis supported the decision to go primarily with qualifiers."

The 2012 Carifta Games start on Saturday and conclude on Easter Monday.

TEAM T&T
Boys' under-20: Jereem Richards (200, 4x100, 4x400), Asa Guevara (200, 4x400), Machel Cedenio (400, 4x400), Mark London (1500), Nicholas Landeau (1500), Ruebin Walters (110 hurdles, 400 hurdles, 4x100, 4x400), Kuniba Stewart (110 hurdles), Kern Alexis (400 hurdles, 4x400), Atiba Wright (long jump), Kevin Roberts (long jump, triple jump), Akeel Edwards (triple jump), Hezekiel Romeo (shot put), Keshorn Walcott (javelin), Akim Phillips (javelin), Jonathan Holder (4x100), Breon Mullings (4x100, 4x400), John Mark Constantine (4x100), Jesse Berkley (4x100)

Girls' under-20: Kernesha Spann (400, 400 hurdles), Domonique Williams (800), Dawnell Collymore (800, 1500), Shaunna Downey (discus), Marielle Pierre (discus), Cherisse Murray (shot put)

Boys' under-17: Nicholas Douglas (100, 200, 4x100), Ron Wright (100, 4x100), Jonathan Farinha (200, 4x100, 4x400), Andwuelle Wright (long jump, 4x100), Edson Moses (long jump, high jump, 4x400), Kenejah Williams (shot put, discus), Shaquille Singuineau (shot put), Precious George (javelin), Jamell Dacon (4x100), Nathan Farinha (4x400), Jamoul Pierre (4x400), Aaron Andrews (4x400)

Girls' under-17: Jeminise Parris (100 hurdles, 300 hurdles), Alisha St Louis (long jump), Ayana Glasgow (high jump), Meriah Freeman (high jump), Britney Bedlow (discus), Shaiann Charles (discus), Portious Warren (shot put), Chelsea James (shot put), Akidah Briggs (javelin)

Officials: Dexter Voisin (manager), Allan Baboolal (assistant manager), Nadine Hamid (throws coach), Ismael Lopez (throws coach), Robin Brereton (jumps coach), Wendell Williams (jumps coach), Edwin Skinner (sprint & hurdles coach), Althea Busby (sprint & hurdles coach), Gerard Franklyn (sprint & hurdles coach), Juleus Smart (middle & long distance coach), Anyl Gopeesingh (team doctor), Zephyrinus Nicholas (massage therapist), Jason Pilgrim (massage therapist), Lucretia Burns (chaperone), Dawn Washington (chaperone)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T bid for Carifta improvement
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
there are no 100 200 runners in the girls  under 17 and under 20 team wow were the times that bad ?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:11:28 PM by Trini _2018 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
Horrible, horrible day for T&T. I think T&T got 4 medals. NO gold! I guess this is what happens when a team of  44 athletes is sent. Dont expect T&T to improve on last year. This is shaping to be the worst Carifta ever for T&T. At this rate.... 20 medals max.

Good luck to the athletes!

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
Horrible, horrible day for T&T. I think T&T got 4 medals. NO gold! I guess this is what happens when a team of  44 athletes is sent. Dont expect T&T to improve on last year. This is shaping to be the worst Carifta ever for T&T. At this rate.... 20 medals max.

Five medals actually but you're right. An absolutely terrible Day One showing

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 01:56:24 AM »
Carifta Games Medal table

Jamaica 25 (12, 6, 7)
Bahamas 14 (6, 3, 5)
Guadeloupe 3 (1, 1, 1)
British Virgin Islands 2 ( 1, 1,0)
Trinidad and Tobago 5 (0, 3, 2)
Bermuda 2 (0, 1, 1)
St. Lucia 1 (0,1,0)
Curacao 1 ( 0, 1, 0)
French Guyana 1 (0, 1, 0)
St. Kitts/Nevis 1 (0, 1, 0)
Guyana 1 (0, 0, 1)
Barbados 1 (0, 0, 1)
Martinique 1 (0, 0, 1)
Dominica 1 (0, 0, 1)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

I don't think it's a matter of the quantity of athletes alone but the quality too. If we had 44 athletes that could get at least a bronze then we'd have 44 medals. A bit optimistic though lol.

The problem too lies in diversification- if we could have at least one good athlete in EVERY event and in EVERY age/gender group we'd be seeing better results. For example we have no Pole Vaulters, no boys in the heptathlon, we may only one or two throwers in separate events(we need one in all- shot, discus, javelin), no boys U-17 110m hurdles and the list goes on.

I think we lagging in the hurdles big time... Someone who finishes out of the medals in the 100 flat could be a champion in the 100 hurdles. They could be getting the 'slower' 100m runners or the 100m runners in general to try the hurdles.

The girls need to be better... I was dreading the day when Michelle and Kai moved up and out because i knew this was coming. I hope someone could get in there and help them- imagine we have no girls at all in any 100/200 and no 4x100m. I think we could have at least put together a relay team- at the falcon games we had about 3 girls running under 12s within the age limit and all we needed was one more:

Event 57  Women 100 Meter Dash
============================================================================       
    Name                    Year Team                    Finals  Wind Points       
============================================================================       
Finals                                                                             
  1 Wickham, Lisa             94 Concorde                 11.78   1.6  10          
  2 Davis, Nicole                Memphis Pioneers         11.84   1.6   8         
  3 Charles, Chelsea          94 Simplex                  11.87   1.6   6    11.865
  4 Durant, Kamaria           91 Simplex                  11.87   1.6   5    11.868
  5 Telesford, Aaliyah        95 P/Fortin N/Jets          11.91   1.6   4         
  6 Denoon, Zakiya            95 Zenith                   12.17   1.6   3         
 -- Mason, Shun-Shauna        91 Concorde                    FS   1.6       

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:19:16 AM by Trini1 »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:19 AM »
First gold!
Event 44  Girls Shot Put (3.0k) UNDER 17
===============================================================
    Name                     Age Team                    Finals
Finals                                                         
  1 James, Chelsea               Trinidad and Tobago     14.02m
  2 Gumbs, Trevia                British VI              13.47m
  3 Warren, Protious             Trinidad and Tobago     13.00m
  4 Albury, Keianna              Bahamas                 12.40m
  5 Wood, Brashe                 Bahamas                 12.17m
  6 Gayle, Paul Ann              Jamaica                 12.00m
  7 Harris, Venique              Jamaica                 11.99m
  8 Dorothal, Julianne           Aruba                   10.64m
  9 Jubithana, Yamorimy       15 Unattached              10.50m
 10 DeRosa, Tiara                Bermuda                  9.66m
 11 Barnett, Hadiyah             Bermuda                  9.01m

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
Finals                                                               
  1 Resias, Cliff                Bahamas                  10.67   3.6
  2 O'Hara, Michael              Jamaica                  10.68   3.6
  3 Douglas, Nicholas            Trinidad and Tobago      10.69   3.6
  4 Burke, Mario                 Barbados                 10.71   3.6
  5 Kerr, Ian                    Bahamas                  10.89   3.6
  6 Blake, Xandre                Jamaica                  10.92   3.6
  7 Wright, Ron                  Trinidad and Tobago      10.92   3.6
  8 Garraway, Tevin              Guyana                   11.09   3.6
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4CigRbOwSw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-4CigRbOwSw</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WEUJ7sTjog&amp;feature=relmfu" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-WEUJ7sTjog&amp;feature=relmfu</a>

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
Second Gold!
Event 53  Boys Discus Throw (1.5k) UNDER 17
    Name                     Age Team                    Finals
Finals                                                         
  1 Williams, Kenejah            Trinidad and Tobago     50.36m
  2 Maycock, Drexel              Bahamas                 45.35m
  3 Kitson, Shamar               Jamaica                 44.34m
  4 Gayle, Demar                 Jamaica                 44.20m
  5 Pratt, Denzel                Bahamas                 42.96m
  6 Simmons, Quinn               Bermuda                 38.22m
  7 Fredrick, Jonathan           Cayman Islands          34.34m

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
I know the medal count is difficult for us to bare. But is this not a development meeting for the future? This is sub Caribbean TF meet. Send all the potentials that you percieve have the pedigree to do soemthing big in the future. I honestly don't think the size of the squad should be the issue. The question is? Were they prepared properly. We have the 2nd largest population is the group. So we should she a squad at least as big as JA to let our girls and b oys get the experience. We are certainly defficient in certain area, especially for girls.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
It may only be a sub Caribbean TF meet but this is the premier junior meet in the Caribbean after High School champs in Jamaica. There's so much history- The Iaaf president likened it to the World Champs- SO many athletes get picked out to go to the USA to train just from here.

I think because we were so far away from Bermuda it would have proved costly to send a large squad.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
It may only be a sub Caribbean TF meet but this is the premier junior meet in the Caribbean after High School champs in Jamaica. There's so much history- The Iaaf president likened it to the World Champs- SO many athletes get picked out to go to the USA to train just from here.

I think because we were so far away from Bermuda it would have proved costly to send a large squad.

These Games were in Bermuda in 2004 and we sent a full sized team. Trinidad and Tobago isn't any poorer than we were then. This all has to do with our current Minister of Sport refusing to fund athletes who do not make qualifying standards and the NAAA picking certain athletes from certain clubs and certain coaches who did not make the Standards but not selecting other athletes who just missed it even though they won their event(s) at the Trials.

There is no way we should not field a Relay Team in any Age Group or Gender. No excuse whatsoever! and BTW if funding is a problem, why did we carry 45 athletes and 15 officials?! We really needed a ratio of 1:3?!

How about leave home five of the officials and put five athletes in their place. That makes 10 to 50 or 1:5 which is at least a little more tasteful.

Last year we named 66 athletes and 18 officials. Now we cutting by 21 athletes because of lack of funding but only cut by 3 officials?! I hope the SHOPPING is nice in Bermuda!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:57:17 AM by fLaSh »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »
Lol point taken!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
Flash, you explained it better than me!!!!! I think we should partipate in every event, especially in the lower age group. The girls need to get same priority as the boys. They short changing our girls. We don't expect marginal athletes to go to WC and Olim. This is the meet we should give some of the so-called marginal the opportunity to perform.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
National Sports Centre - Site License
                          41ST CARIFTA GAMES - BERMUDA 2012                           
                     NATIONAL SPORTS CENTRE, DEVONSHIRE, BERMUDA                     
                           Visit: www.ondirun.blogspot.com                           

Event 6  Boys 200 Meter Dash UNDER 17
=====================================================================                 
    Name                     Age Team                    Finals  Wind                 
=====================================================================                 
Finals                                                                               
  1 Farinha, Jonathan         16 Trinidad and Tobago      21.28  -0.5                 
  2 Resias, Cliff             16 Bahamas                  22.06  -0.5                 
  3 Burke, Mario              15 Barbados                 22.23  -0.5                 
  4 Blake, Xandre             16 Jamaica                  22.28  -0.5                 
  5 Garraway, Tevin           16 Guyana                   22.67  -0.5                 
  6 Bridgewater, Alkronus     16 St.Kitts & Nevis         22.73  -0.5                 
  7 Simmons, Jaret            16 Bermuda                  22.97  -0.5                 
 -- Johnson, Theotis          16 Bahamas                     DQ  -0.5 IAAF RULE 163.3A
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_qoxmzcjIw&amp;feature=relmfu" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E_qoxmzcjIw&amp;feature=relmfu</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qt2pq3cotkE&amp;feature=relmfu" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qt2pq3cotkE&amp;feature=relmfu</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
This reminded me of Southern Games long time. The riddum section is the baddest. Congrats to the TT athletes. There is always next year.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
Johnson, Theotis          16 Bahamas                     DQ  -0.5 IAAF RULE 163.3A

what that really means?????????

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
http://world-track.org/2012/04/carifta-games-medal-count-update-on-day-3/

that's old stuff Deeks

T&T finished third on the medal table with six gold medals, nine silver and seven bronze—a grand total of 22. The Jamaicans were first, and the Bahamians second...... express

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
My favourite excuse this year is that "it was cold".
So $%^& what?
Those kids from those cold islands gained some sort of advantage? Best you don't even say anything anymore.

The "challenges" excuse from last year surfaced again, too.  :pissedoff:

JUST ONCE, just one time, I want to hear this from someone in charge of that Carifta team:

"It is unacceptable that there is a continued and ever-widening chasm between our and Jamaica's performance and that our neighbours to the north, the Bahamas, with 1/4 of our population, continue to dominate us. I am hereby promising a change in attitude and expectations for future TnT Carifta teams"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:27:14 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
So $%^& what?
Those kids from those cold islands gained some sort of advantage? Best you don't even say anything anymore.

JUST ONCE, just one time, I want to hear this from someone in charge of that Carifta team:

"It is unacceptable that there is a continued and ever-widening chasm between our and Jamaica's performance and that our neighbours to the north, the Bahamas, with 1/4 of our population, continue to dominate us. I am hereby promising a change in attitude and expectations for future TnT Carifta teams"

Based on what I read in the press... Whoever was in charge actually applauded the performances. Not to take anything away from the young athletes.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
So $%^& what?

Based on what I read in the press... Whoever was in charge actually applauded the performances. Not to take anything away from the young athletes.

Of course they applauded the athletes.  The athletes did well. It is the poor administration and coaching that held them back.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>