May 01, 2024, 01:25:32 AM

Author Topic: aslylumseeker how dis meat does taste?  (Read 5404 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wha kinda meat is dat?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »
I was naive to think that the whole dog in Chinese food thing was a myth but those two videos and pic brought me to reality. Those Koreans are just heartless with the torture before the kill them so it can taste better??? :cursing:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: aslylumseeker how dis meat does taste?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
with all the hole in de wall chinese restaurants in trini and the lack or lapse by authorities to inspect these establishments most ah we must b eat dog already.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:32:16 AM »
Dog is a delicacy in chinese cuisine... much the way we does eat wild meat.  No doubt in certain localities it might be more common.  People seeing these images and running with it, making it seem as though everybody in China (and expatriate storefront restaurants) does eat dog.  I didn't watch the videos, and have no plans to watch them... but how is torture of the dogs different from the inhumane treatment of cattle in the slaughterhouses of the beef industry? 

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:48:32 AM »
yeah, anyone visit a abattoir lately? or how about a halal/kosher abattoir?

I like my meat, but i don't habour any notions that a slaughterhouse is anything but animals being slaughtered for human consumption.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »
Dog is a delicacy in chinese cuisine... much the way we does eat wild meat.  No doubt in certain localities it might be more common.  People seeing these images and running with it, making it seem as though everybody in China (and expatriate storefront restaurants) does eat dog.  I didn't watch the videos, and have no plans to watch them... but how is torture of the dogs different from the inhumane treatment of cattle in the slaughterhouses of the beef industry? 

It isn't except for sentiment and more importantly backing by big business. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Pur_Trini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
I didn't watch the video either.  As for the picture, if instead of dog the meat was lamb or beef, most people would not bat an eye-lid.

It's easy to condemn other cultures.  I have heard people express surprise and horror at the thought of eating Agouti, which they associate with rats.  As far as I am concerned though, eating Agouti is perfectly normal/acceptable.

The first time I visited France, I was given a steak.  I looked at it and thought "beef", but it didn't have the texture of beef.  Turns out I was eating horse meat - which is a delicacy in France!  No lie - after getting over the initial misapprehension and surprise I had to admit it was real nice......
.........and may God bless our Nation.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »
personally i dont see any problem if one culture eat dog...not too far away in st. lucia they does eat cyat....tink of it,we eat gouti,manicou,lappe,ants eater,porqupine and de typical american would not put pig foot,cow foot,chicken foot,neck or ox tail in they mouth,just sunday gone ah white gyul from kentucky tell me she cyar eat chicken with bone...as for the manner in which u kill the animal...cyar please nobody.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »

it isn't except for sentiment and more importantly backing by big business. 

Obviously it's because of the closer relationship that man has developed throughout our existence with cats and dogs that people view their inhumane treatment differently, duh!!  I'm quite sure it would be a lot less difficult to watch a video of the behind-the-scenes- goings on in a chicken farm or abattoir than it would be to watch these videos as even you can't stomach watching them.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »

To be honest, I don't know much about the treatment of cattle and I see your point but in that video there's a scene where they have about 6-8 dogs compressed together in a small cage on the bed of a truck to be transported to the slaughter house. In offloading the truck, those guys just push the cage off the back of the truck with the dogs inside the cage and let it drop in the street like a bag of rocks.
I know they're going to kill them but the difference is they want to make sure the dogs are horrified before they slaughter them so the meat can taste better so they do cruel things to terrify them. It was just tough to see them treat the dogs that way and I'm no dog owner nor one who can come to terms with the way people treat dogs like a human in a household but it was just an eye opener as to what goes on behind the scenes.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »

To be honest, I don't know much about the treatment of cattle and I see your point but in that video there's a scene where they have about 6-8 dogs compressed together in a small cage on the bed of a truck to be transported to the slaughter house. In offloading the truck, those guys just push the cage off the back of the truck with the dogs inside the cage and let it drop in the street like a bag of rocks.
I know they're going to kill them but the difference is they want to make sure the dogs are horrified before they slaughter them so the meat can taste better so they do cruel things to terrify them. It was just tough to see them treat the dogs that way and I'm no dog owner nor one who can come to terms with the way people treat dogs like a human in a household but it was just an eye opener as to what goes on behind the scenes.

do some more research and look into how animals are treated priot to and uo to slaughter.

Here is a link to start with.  Chickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KXZu65HpUA&feature=player_embedded

chickens and cows. Goto 4:58 and see what dey does do to the cow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BENEZH-C7s

I did not watch the dog video but dem cows have no chance and at 7 min onwards,. watch the blood flowing

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:55:52 AM by pecan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
  Obviously it's because of the closer relationship that man has developed throughout our existence with cats and dogs that people view their inhumane treatment differently, duh!!  I'm quite sure it would be a lot less difficult to watch a video of the behind-the-scenes- goings on in a chicken farm or abattoir than it would be to watch these videos as even you can't stomach watching them.

In your haste to offer your genius contribution you've somehow missed the gist of the question... which Kicker got.  The torture is no different... only our reaction to it (thanks for offering the obvious).  How we react doesn't change the fact that the animals are treated inhumanely in both food 'industries'. 

My disinterest in watching the video is just that... I have seen videos of dogs and cats being processed for food before and see no additional benefit to watching these.  I have also seen those very behind the scenes videos of the treatment of cattle at the slaughterhouses and come away with enough to know I don't need to see anymore.  So no, it would not be any less disturbing for me to see cattle tortured or killed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:09:34 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »

I grow up with dogs and became a cat lover after becoming an adult... I've seen videos of both being killed in china (along with monkey, but that's another story).  I've seen images of twitching cats hung by their necks after being hit with clubs on their heads to kill them... obviously not a very foolproof method.  The cats were then dipped in scalding water to remove the hair, before being processed for food.  The dogs very similar.

I've also seen images captured by a slaughterhouse worker of cattle being stunned by jolts of electricity to kill them... often with inconsistent results... before being put on the conveyor belt to be cut up.  The images included those of animals 'moaning' and even blinking, as they're being cut up.  I love my meat, but I have to admit it was enough to make me want to reconsider. When you read of the conditions on some chicken farms, with overcrowding and "fallen" poultry being used to add to chicken pellets to feed other chickens... is enough to make opt for a strict bread and beans diet.  Sometimes it's just easier for the public (counting myself) to live in ignorance and think of meat as the nice sterilized packages we pick up at the supermarket, and not the sentient animals that the packages are derived from.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »

That's what I meant by sentiment. 

There are many who feel the same way about cattle and other animals, as westerners by and large feel about dogs and other domesticated pets...so holding that constant yuh realize it's the same shit. 

If in the "beggining of time" mankind didn't develop the known today relationship with dogs and cats, and big business put their bucks behind dog farming for food production, (as they do behind cattle farming for e.g.), most of us wouldn't give a damn about what's happening to those dogs....

There's also a slanted social/societal dynamic at play here where popular western customs and morals dictated primarily by the North American and European superpowers are assumed to be or accepted as more "normal" , "civilized" or "acceptable" than those of the east for e.g...  That stigma (alot of which has been aided by shameless propaganda) adds to the shock value of this kind thing. 

As bakes say - killing an animal is killing an animal.  One should not be more shocking than the other...but it is - admittedly even so for me. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:49:28 PM by kicker »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »

In your haste to offer your genius contribution you've somehow missed the gist of the question... which Kicker got.  The torture is no different... only our reaction to it (thanks for offering the obvious).  How we react doesn't change the fact that the animals are treated inhumanely in both food 'industries'. 

My disinterest in watching the video is just that... I have seen videos of dogs and cats being processed for food before and see no additional benefit to watching these.  I have also seen those very behind the scenes videos of the treatment of cattle at the slaughterhouses and come away with enough to know I don't need to see anymore.  So no, it would not be any less disturbing for me to see cattle tortured or killed.

I needed to overstate the obvious because your question is obviously redundant, if not stupid.  We know for decades that chinese people eat every animal that walks and crawls the planet, but your inference that people are all supposed to feel the same way about the torture and slaughter of dogs as we do for "every day" meat and poultry, like you claim to, is where the stupidity begins and ends. But since you is d head-master, go on and teach.   
Kicker.  I know what "sentiment" means

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »

That's what I meant by sentiment. 

There are many who feel the same way about cattle and other animals, as westerners by and large feel about dogs and other domesticated pets...so holding that constant yuh realize it's the same shit. 

If in the "beggining of time" mankind didn't develop the known today relationship with dogs and cats, and big business put their bucks behind dog farming for food production, (as they do behind cattle farming for e.g.), most of us wouldn't give a damn about what's happening to those dogs....

There's also a slanted social/societal dynamic at play here where popular western customs and morals dictated primarily by the North American and European superpowers are assumed to be or accepted as more "normal" , "civilized" or "acceptable" than those of the east for e.g...  That stigma (alot of which has been aided by shameless propaganda) adds to the shock value of this kind thing. 

As bakes say - killing an animal is killing an animal.  One should not be more shocking than the other...but it is - admittedly even so for me. 

Killing a man is killing a man. too, Kicker.  But I'm sure most people can stomach a video of the death or demise of a stranger than we can of someone closer to us, given the nature of death being the same.  (those of us that can stomach such video in the first place) But there is no one person on this planet, your Jackass friend included, that is the authority on who should be shocked or more shocked one way or another, for what animal or another.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
do some more research and look into how animals are treated priot to and uo to slaughter.

Here is a link to start with.  Chickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KXZu65HpUA&feature=player_embedded

chickens and cows. Goto 4:58 and see what dey does do to the cow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BENEZH-C7s

I did not watch the dog video but dem cows have no chance and at 7 min onwards,. watch the blood flowing

Youtube removed the second video but the first one was still sickening despite it being about poultry. While watching it I said to myself like they trying to turn me into a vegetarian? In the end that was the premise of the documentry, not to eat meat as a way to say no to this type of animal cruelty. The shit man does just to make an extra dollar smh...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
I needed to overstate the obvious because your question is obviously redundant, if not stupid.  We know for decades that chinese people eat every animal that walks and crawls the planet, but your inference that people are all supposed to feel the same way about the torture and slaughter of dogs as we do for "every day" meat and poultry, like you claim to, is where the stupidity begins and ends. But since you is d head-master, go on and teach.   

If you find the question "obviously redundant, if not stupid" then why did you bother to respond?  If you are unfamiliar with the Socratic method then do yourself a favor and enlighten yourself.  It was deliberately phrased that way to prompt introspection followed by a rational response.  Your failure is understandable, but thanks all the same for trying.

But there is no one person on this planet, your Jackass friend included, that is the authority on who should be shocked or more shocked one way or another, for what animal or another.

You have to be a total dunce to read what I wrote and come away with me telling people what they should be shocked at.  Then again, why am I asking redundant questions...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:54:48 PM by Bakes »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:04 AM »

If you find the question "obviously redundant, if not stupid" then why did you bother to respond?  If you are unfamiliar with the Socratic method then do yourself a favor and enlighten yourself.  It was deliberately phrased that way to prompt introspection followed by a rational response.  Your failure is understandable, but thanks all the same for trying.

But there is no one person on this planet, your Jackass friend included, that is the authority on who should be shocked or more shocked one way or another, for what animal or another.

You have to be a total dunce to read what I wrote and come away with me telling people what they should be shocked at.  Then again, why am I asking redundant questions...

Save yuh Socratic  :bs: fuh closing arguments in d court room, imps.  Nobody on here is going to make any changes, conduct any introspection or feel any different in the long run.  Save but for one or two people that must be living in a black hole, everybody knows about the cruelty that goes on in meat and poultry slaughterhouses.  They might feel sorry fuh them animals fuh a minute, but they forget about dem when dey wolfing down dey roti,  dey stew and dey pelau.  At the end of the day, torture is wrong, but people will ALWAYS have more sympathetic sentiments towards dogs and cats than to chickens and cows' behinds....like yourself.   

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
Mango yuh not saying anything that we don't already know.

Bakes' question was obviously not a purely literal question, hence the reference to the socratic method - so your initial "duh" type response was not appropriate, as it was the obvious answer and didn't shed any more light on the issue....Clearly no one is disputing the fact that we have a different relationship with certain domesticated animals -that's the whole point...the point was probably more to discuss whether or not the conventional wisdom or the commonly accepted obvious answer (as you responded) is actually sufficient to warrant the disparate treatment of different types of animals, and use that as a platform to explore other potential reasons, or possibly even criticize/critique the accepted human rationale in this context...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

Bakes' question was obviously not a purely literal question, hence the reference to the socratic method - so your initial "duh" type response was not appropriate, as it was the obvious answer and didn't shed any more light on the issue....Clearly no one is disputing the fact that we have a different relationship with certain domesticated animals -that's the whole point...the point was probably more to discuss whether or not the conventional wisdom or the commonly accepted obvious answer (as you responded) is actually sufficient to warrant the disparate treatment of different types of animals, and use that as a platform to explore other potential reasons, or possibly even criticize/critique the accepted human rationale in this context...

kicker, your analysis of the question is missing the shift in context. the "tortured dogs" was in an asian context while the "cattle" and "slaughterhouse" reference was clearly from a western context. mango chow has a point.

bakes, how de hell you could be a lawyer when you cyah ask a proper question?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
kicker, your analysis of the question is missing the shift in context. the "tortured dogs" was in an asian context while the "cattle" and "slaughterhouse" reference was clearly from a western context. mango chow has a point.

ok  :-\

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »

kicker, I am not trying to say anything new or enlighten anyone here.  I am simply reinforcing what is already so obvious that neither you nor your esteemed friend can't see the forest from the trees.  (by the way, he is not telling us anything we don't already know, either.)  In yuh padnah attempt to impose his intellectual will on us here, he is forgetting that people would have already had their moments of introspection at the times of their own knowledge of how the animals we do consume for our basic nutrition and existence, are treated.  The two of you really think that most, it not all of us reading this thread don't already know how animals are treated in meat and poultry slaughterhouses? Nigga please!  Do you eat meat, kicker?  Do you love cats and/or dogs?  Have you ever asked yourself the Socratic question while having your own Socratic moments?  Has it made you done anything drastic to the cause, like become a vegetarian or join PETA? I seriously doubt it has and you are one of the more higher-thinking and enlightened ones among us, so where does that leave the rest of us?  Yuh padnah arkskin' d wrong qestion to d wrong audience.  "Duh!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »

There is no "asian context" or "western context" you tool.  The only context that matters here is the context of forumites reacting and responding to the slaughter of dogs for food juxtaposed against the slaughter of cattle for food. It matters not what is accepted/acceptable in Asian vs. western society.

...In yuh padnah attempt to impose his intellectual will on us here, he is forgetting that people would have already had their moments of introspection at the times of their own knowledge of how the animals we do consume for our basic nutrition and existence, are treated. 

how is torture of the dogs different from the inhumane treatment of cattle in the slaughterhouses of the beef industry?

You have to be carrying around one helluva inferiority complex in order to interpret the simple question above as an attempt to by me to impose my "intellectual will" on you lol.  You real pathetic yes dread.  And then yuh respond with some elementary b.s. about man's relationship with dogs and cats relative to cattle.  Everyone understands why the visceral reaction is different (your pedantic exercise notwitstanding), but man's relationship with domestic animals relative to livestock doesn't change the fact that torture is torture.  Kicker, soccerman and pecan (among others, I'm sure) got it... yet not surprisingly you and ribbit continue to struggle.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 02:49:25 AM »

There is no "asian context" or "western context" you tool.  The only context that matters here is the context of forumites reacting and responding to the slaughter of dogs for food juxtaposed against the slaughter of cattle for food. It matters not what is accepted/acceptable in Asian vs. western society.

...In yuh padnah attempt to impose his intellectual will on us here, he is forgetting that people would have already had their moments of introspection at the times of their own knowledge of how the animals we do consume for our basic nutrition and existence, are treated. 

how is torture of the dogs different from the inhumane treatment of cattle in the slaughterhouses of the beef industry?

You have to be carrying around one helluva inferiority complex in order to interpret the simple question above as an attempt to by me to impose my "intellectual will" on you lol.  You real pathetic yes dread.  And then yuh respond with some elementary b.s. about man's relationship with dogs and cats relative to cattle.  Everyone understands why the visceral reaction is different (your pedantic exercise notwitstanding), but man's relationship with domestic animals relative to livestock doesn't change the fact that torture is torture.  Kicker, soccerman and pecan (among others, I'm sure) got it... yet not surprisingly you and ribbit continue to struggle.

What YOU don't seem to get is that beyond the point of "getting it" no one is really going to care any more about the fate and turture of livestock and poultry any more than they care about cats and dogs.  We all know that "torture is torture" yuh c**t, but the same men names yuh call "and others, I'm sure", they aren't going to care in the long run, any more than they already do.  If yuh was really smart, yuh woulda known that before warming up yuh overqualified brain to carry out yuh Socratic exercises as it would take something far more effective than that to really get people to care.  So, flatter yuh self with your talk of inferiority all yuh want, hoss, all yuh does continue to do is show what an educated fool you are. 

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »
kicker, I am not trying to say anything new or enlighten anyone here.  I am simply reinforcing what is already so obvious that neither you nor your esteemed friend can't see the forest from the trees.  (by the way, he is not telling us anything we don't already know, either.)  In yuh padnah attempt to impose his intellectual will on us here, he is forgetting that people would have already had their moments of introspection at the times of their own knowledge of how the animals we do consume for our basic nutrition and existence, are treated.  The two of you really think that most, it not all of us reading this thread don't already know how animals are treated in meat and poultry slaughterhouses? Nigga please!  Do you eat meat, kicker?  Do you love cats and/or dogs?  Have you ever asked yourself the Socratic question while having your own Socratic moments?  Has it made you done anything drastic to the cause, like become a vegetarian or join PETA? I seriously doubt it has and you are one of the more higher-thinking and enlightened ones among us, so where does that leave the rest of us?  Yuh padnah arkskin' d wrong qestion to d wrong audience.  "Duh!"

Easy Mango lol... it not that serious and honestly, yuh starting to say some things that are totally beside the point and frankly not even making sense....who said anything about prompting a vegetarian lifestyle or joining PETA...or doing anything drastic for that matter?  And you say I'm missing the forest for the trees? hahaha.... Anyhow, "Duh" implies that you're stating the obvious for those who can't see it, which is clearly not the case which is why I said your response was inappropriate...that was my point (or part of it) but like you gone off on a tangent here which lacking relevance on all fronts - but at least you have ribbit's endorsement for what that's worth.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:33:48 AM by kicker »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
*Golf announcer voice*

"While tt and seeker carryover their inside joke. Mango and Bakes continue their underlying clash from previous posts and unrelated topics.  Kicker wades in, not as the usual voice of reason, but with a passive agressive verbal barrage

Unknowingly and unwillingly alliances have been drawn in the sand. let's see who gets voted off the thread after this commercial break"
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:11 AM »
LOL :D
I pity the fool....

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »
 :rotfl:

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
In addition to Dutty's commentary, there are a few other iems to consider:

1) Asylum has chosen not to answer TT's original query on the meat taste profile. I wonder why?
2) I hadda look up the "Socratic Method" and now I have a headache. How does one clear the head?
3) Why bring PETA into this? I am a card carrying member of People Eating Tasty Animals and I applaud anyone who would join this movement

1]; } ?>