April 19, 2024, 12:40:01 AM

Author Topic: Who is better? Messi versus Ronaldo...The stats!  (Read 8707 times)

truetrini

Who is better? Messi versus Ronaldo...The stats!
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/messi-v-ronaldo-a-season-in-statistics

If wasn’t apparent before, the 2011/12 campaign has been the one that saw Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo move into a league of their own and join the greats of the game.

Between the pair of them, no record is safe. Ronaldo became the fastest player to score 100 goals in La Liga, reaching the landmark in a paltry 92 games, eclipsing Real Madrid legend Ferenc Puskas in the process.

The former Manchester United forward didn’t stop there; his hat-trick against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday meant he became the first player to notch 40 goals in consecutive seasons in Europe’s top four leagues.

Just three days before Ronaldo broke the 100-goal mark, Messi took centre stage by breaking Barcelona’s all-time goal-scoring record with a sublime hat-trick against Granada.

The Argentinian maestro has also broken the record for most goals in a single season in the Champions League, and became the first player to score five goals in a single Champions League game against Bayer Leverkusen in March.

Much of the praise this season has been directed at Messi and much of the talk has centred around whether he can stake a claim to the unofficial title of 'the greatest of all time'.

However it is Ronaldo’s Madrid who lead the title race by four points ahead of a mouth-watering El Clasico later this month, while the Portuguese international has scored more league goals this season than his illustrious rival.

So who do the numbers suggest is the best player out of the pair across all competitions GMF brings you all the stats you need to know in order to make your mind up on the question on everybody’s lips; who is better, Ronaldo or Messi?

La Liga

Hat-tricks: Ronaldo -  7     Messi - 6

Goals (Games):  Ronaldo - 40 (32)   Messi - 39 (31)

Assists: Ronaldo - 11    Messi - 14

Average shots/game: Ronaldo - 6.9   Messi - 5.5

Pass % completion: Ronaldo - 80.9%  Messi - 84.1%

Key Passes/game:  Ronaldo - 1.6   Messi - 2.6

Successful dribbles/game: Ronaldo - 1.8  Messi - 4.8

Average dispossessed/game: Ronaldo - 1.9  Messi - 2.7

Average passes/game: Ronaldo  - 37.6   Messi - 64.9

Accurate through balls/game: Ronaldo - 0.5 Messi - 1.5

% of team’s goals scored: Ronaldo 41.6 Messi  - 36.6

Penalties scored: Ronaldo - 11 Messi -  5

Champions League

Goals: Ronaldo -  8  Messi - 14

Assists: Ronaldo - 2 Messi - 4

MOM awards: Ronaldo - 3    Messi - 8

Shots per Game: Ronaldo - 7.4  Messi - 7.1

Attempts on target: Ronaldo - 24   Messi - 34

Dribbles per match: Ronaldo - 2.9   Messi - 3.9

Accurate long balls/game: Ronaldo - 0.8 Messi - 1.7

Accurate through balls/game: Ronaldo - 0.4  Messi - 1.4

Fouls against: Ronaldo - 14 Messi  - 23

Other Competitions/International

Goals in all competitions: Ronaldo -   52   Messi - 61 Hat-tricks:  Ronaldo -   7     Messi -  8

International goals (games) Ronaldo -   6(7)    Messi -  5(7)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:44:47 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is better? Messi versus Ronaldo...The stats!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
Avg passes per game and attempts on target.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »
I'll take Ronaldo over Messi, everybody else could hang on Messi balls ;D Ill only take messi if I could get Xavi and Iniesta with him

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
Stats don't lie but they can be used to shape any argument, one way or another. At the end of the day, it is always clear and evident that ronaldo is nowhere near Messi's class and Messi has done more on more winning teams to contribute to his various teams' successes than ronaldo could ever dream of contributing.  Messi makes space for players around him while ronaldo utilizes a lot of space that his RM teammates create for him. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
Stats don't lie but they can be used to shape any argument, one way or another. At the end of the day, it is always clear and evident that ronaldo is nowhere near Messi's class and Messi has done more on more winning teams to contribute to his various teams' successes than ronaldo could ever dream of contributing.  Messi makes space for players around him while ronaldo utilizes a lot of space that his RM teammates create for him. 

But doesn't that simply reflect their different roles and the different structures of their respective teams? And yes, I am defending Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has been splendid for Madrid.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:15:25 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »
Messi

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
messi is de boss.....and ah better playmaker
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
who Fu#king cares...we getting to see dem
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »

But doesn't that simply reflect their different roles and the different structures of their respective teams? And yes, I am defending Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has been splendid for Madrid.

You have every right to "defend" him, Sister.  Is no scene.  No matter how teams are "structured" though, Toppa, at the end of the day, it is still a team sport and neither player can achieve their end results without their teammates and their teams won't necessarily be as successful without their contributions either. But, with that being said, when you really look at what each player does with the ball at their feet, how they score and the kids of goals they score, there is no doubt in my mind that Messi is by far, the better player.  Yeah, ronaldo scoring some "nice" free-kicks.  But the way these balls are designed now, to encourage more movement, all a player really have to do is hit it very hard, which is what ronaldo does, and the ball will leave GK's in a mess.  I do recognize and give him credit for hitting the ball as hard as he does, but what Messi does with his free-kicks, to me, is more challenging and more artistic.  ronaldo will pick up the ball on the wing, do a couple few step-overs, flick de ball from behind one foot, knock the ball off, run in a space, receive the ball and tap it in.  Ok, dat cool, good fuh him....but yuh doh see him pickin' up de ball and running at or across or through a teams defense and chippin' ball over 'keeper head from close up and ting.  Just that one move he made on arsenal and Almunia alone is woth about 50 of ronaldo's step-overs...dem is movements of an artist and ronaldo is simply not dat type of player.  Messi does always deliver in big games.  ALWAYS.  Going all the way back to the U-20 World Cup in '05, Messi singlehandedly destroyed Columbia in the round 16, dismantled Spain in the Quartes and broke Barazilizn spirit early in the Semi's....de Final, well dat was a disaster because Nigeria got flat out robbed, but dize fuh a different discussion......and Argentina wasn't winning their Olympic gold in Beijing without Messi at all. I actually used to like ronaldo.....but between the diving (which, to his credit, he doesn't do as much of anymore) and the lack of a little more substance to his game, I don't hold him in as high esteem as his current fans do. 

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ˇHala Madrid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »
Messi has done more on more winning teams to contribute to his various teams' successes than ronaldo could ever dream of contributing.

Did you pluralize the word 'team' by mistake? Or were you referring to Barca and Argentina?

Because I can't remember Messi doing anything for Argentina? How many goals did he score in 360+ mins in South Africa?

Ronaldo on the other hand, has proven himself in the 2 best leagues in the world, and is far more useful for Portugal than Messi is for Argentina... When Pechofrio grows a spinal column and moves to England, then let's talk...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »
Messi has done more on more winning teams to contribute to his various teams' successes than ronaldo could ever dream of contributing.

Did you pluralize the word 'team' by mistake? Or were you referring to Barca and Argentina?

Because I can't remember Messi doing anything for Argentina? How many goals did he score in 360+ mins in South Africa?

Ronaldo on the other hand, has proven himself in the 2 best leagues in the world, and is far more useful for Portugal than Messi is for Argentina... When Pechofrio grows a spinal column and moves to England, then let's talk...

I pluralized it on purpose and I went on to give details so read again and tell me exactly how you quantify and compare what either player has done for their respective countries because I never see metro hoist any silverware at ANY (level of) competition fuh Portugal.  I love allyuh men that does use the english league as some sort of benchmark or proving ground for footballers.  What does playing in england prove when most english players cannot play outside of england? Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (the REAL one!) amd Romario never played in england so what that make them?  Pele and Maradonna never played there, either.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
The two best players in the game today...period. All this talk bout who better is subjective in my opinion. Most will say Messi cuz Messi has been on the winning team in recent years but say what you will, Cronaldo is just as important for his team as Messi is, and nobody in any other league impacts their team like they both do. Messi has the numbers, and youth on his side, but I think that there is also something to be said for  being able to be effective and dominant in multiple teams and leagues as well.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
Lionel Messi broke the 39-year record for most goals in a single season in a major European league, scoring for the 68th time to eclipse former Bayern Munich striker Gerd Mueller, in Barcelona's 4-1 victory over Malaga.

The 24-year-old converted penalty kicks in the 35th and 59th minutes, then chipped onrushing goalkeeper Carlos Kameni to score in the 64th for his ninth hat trick of the season.

Mueller had held the record since scoring 67 goals for Bayern Munich in 1972-73.

Messi has played 57 games for Barcelona this season. He has scored a record 46 goals in the Spanish leahue plus 14 in the Champions League, three in Spanish Super Cup, two each in the Club World Cup and the Copa del Rey, and one in the UEFA Super Cup

It was the 21st multigoal game of the season for Messi and his seventh league hat trick, tying the mark set by Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo this season.

Messi, a three-time FIFA player of the year, has 248 goals in 326 games for Barcelona.

Mueller scored 36 Bundesliga goals in 1972-73, 12 each in the European Cup and the German League Cup and seven in the German Cup.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
Who have more girls?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »
Who have more girls?

:beermug:

IMHO - If I was a coach and I needed to pick a player for my team, I would go with Ronaldo. But he come with a lill baggage (attitude). Messi may be the nicer guy but Ronaldo is more multidimensional (good in air, free kicks from distance, pace, strength etc).
We lucky to be seeing 2 great talents at the same time...

As for the argument of greatest of all time, everytime I hear that I laugh.
Players at the present will always be regarded as the best of all time.
These guys didnt want anything with Ronaldinho at his prime. kaka and Rivaldo at their best would be in the same class as them.
And non of these mentioned in the same level as Zizoux or King Ronaldo, so how dare they even be compared to Maradonna is beyone me.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 04:14:32 PM »
Who have more girls?

who more 'like' a girl?  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

1]; } ?>