March 28, 2024, 03:32:23 PM

Author Topic: I did not know this about Jamaica  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I did not know this about Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNdrLgC98U8&feature=related
Come on preacher, shame on you.  this clip has been out there for yrs, and the documentary is almost 20 yrs old, if not more.

right now jamaica cooling down and it look like trinidad wants tuh take their place.

i don't want to come across as unkind, ignorant and silly, but IMO, black/ caribbean / african ppl was not really ready for independence, bc apart from being extremely self centered, we are an ignorant uncouth kind of people, fact! and lack patriotism and responsibility to each other.

black folks need a lot a lot a lot of education!!!!!!!! i can't stress enough how much education we need horse! in reality, we not ready @ all @ all @ all for this kind of heavy responsibility, and it shows, bc we failing miserably.

governing your own self calls for responsible focused well rounded caring politicians and leaders, and most of these caribbean and african nations are filled with self serving backward corrupt dictators and politicians.

the only caribbean or african independent nation i've seen that shows any sign of capable self governance is barbados, and maybe that's bc it's britain's play ground, and they put more care into helping them remain stable for selfish reasons.   JMAO.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:18:21 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
Come on preacher, shame on you.  this clip has been out for yrs, and the documentary is almost 20 yrs old , if not more. right now jamaica cooling down and it look like trinidad want tuh take their place.

i know it will come across as unkind, ignorant and silly, but it's ah fact, black ppl was not really ready for independence, since we are a really ignorant and uncouth kind people for the most part, and lack responsibility to each other and patriotism.

black folks need a lot a lot a lot of education!!!!!!!! i can't stress enough how much education we need horse, in reality, we not ready @ all @ all @ all for this  kind of heavy responsibility, and right now we failing miserably.

governing your own self calls for responsible focused well rounded ppl, and most of these caribbean and african nations are filled with selfish backward corrupt dictators and politicians.

the only caribbean or african independent nation i've seen that show any sign of capable self governance is barbados, and maybe that's bc that's britain's play ground, and they put more car into helping them remain stable.   JMO.

Very thoughtful post, just cool. I would also add that the reason why so many majority African societies find themsleves in the sorry predeicament that they are in is because the state of so many black families is broken. As I may have commented on here, a wise Jewish Kohan (i.e. a Jewish priest) has taught that "family is the center of all living." The words are simple, but the implications of them are so profound.

So many black families are broken. Broken families translate into broken communities which translate into broken municipalities, which translate into...well I am sure you get my drift.

The black family must become strong again.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
Yeah I knew about the gang thing but I had no idea if was politically sanctioned and worst than that, created to maintain political platforms.   That is very sad. 

Concerning government and personal leadership becoming the platform for strong leaders, I think we will get there.  Remember JC the idea of personal leadership is not something akin to our society.  And if it is, the answers to what's next isn't thought of or available.  Again, just the history of the Caribbean is saturated with the residue of colonial thinking.  But I believe the right leaders can and will be produced.  Hopefully in the next 90 years or so. (just 2 generations)    And assuming that there is anything left over from the world bankers, we can become a solid society with solid development and financial systems in place.   I believe our people can do more than is expected.

Do you know of any government policy in T&T to reverse the "brain drain?"

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Come on preacher, shame on you.  this clip has been out for yrs, and the documentary is almost 20 yrs old , if not more. right now jamaica cooling down and it look like trinidad want tuh take their place.

i know it will come across as unkind, ignorant and silly, but it's ah fact, black ppl was not really ready for independence, since we are a really ignorant and uncouth kind people for the most part, and lack responsibility to each other and patriotism.

black folks need a lot a lot a lot of education!!!!!!!! i can't stress enough how much education we need horse, in reality, we not ready @ all @ all @ all for this  kind of heavy responsibility, and right now we failing miserably.

governing your own self calls for responsible focused well rounded ppl, and most of these caribbean and african nations are filled with selfish backward corrupt dictators and politicians.

the only caribbean or african independent nation i've seen that show any sign of capable self governance is barbados, and maybe that's bc that's britain's play ground, and they put more car into helping them remain stable.   JMO.

Very thoughtful post, just cool. I would also add that the reason why so many majority African societies find themsleves in the sorry predeicament that they are in is because the state of so many black families is broken. As I may have commented on here, a wise Jewish Kohan (i.e. a Jewish priest) has taught that "family is the center of all living." The words are simple, but the implications of them are so profound.

So many black families are broken. Broken families translate into broken communities which translate into broken municipalities, which translate into...well I am sure you get my drift.

The black family must become strong again.

Kali if you get the chance check a documentary called  'Made in America'   It's about the South Central Gang history.  I'm confident that the issues with poverty is America is institutionalized based on race and class.   I'm confident that if people are given a really fair shake communities would be better.   Ghettos and set up. 

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

Take a read JCool. A little insight into why we haven't progressed. Just look at the opening chapter(the answer is within it) starting from 'Gentlemen':
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Perspectives_1/Willie_Lynch_letter_The_Making_of_a_Slave.shtml
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:21:07 PM by Trini1 »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Trini1  Willie Lynch is a made up character.  He was not a real person.  Actually heard it last week from a buddy of mine that did the research for one of his art projects entitled, 'How to make a God and a Slave.'   Hey used some "Willi Lynch" audio but the story he discovered is false.   The methods aren't but there's no Wille Lynch. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:22:49 PM by Preacher »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
It doesn't really matter whether he is real or fake(thanks for letting me know though), the methods mentioned in it are real....A lot of the black community(if we can call it that) is still trapped.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:29:42 PM by Trini1 »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »
It doesn't really matter whether real or fake(thanks for letting me know though), the methods mentioned in it are real....A lot of the black community(if we can call it that) is still trapped.

No doubt about that.  We need something reshaping the lens that was created for us.  I think a good education and now access to information on the internet will speed these changes along.  White superiority is really a colonial idea less than 400 years old. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »

Take a read JCool. A little insight into why we haven't progressed. Just look at the opening chapter(the answer is within it) starting from 'Gentlemen':
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/Perspectives_1/Willie_Lynch_letter_The_Making_of_a_Slave.shtml
Bredren, don't want tuh come across as arrogant and a know it all, but i've read this yrs ago, even have the little book that the NOI sold in their books store titled "wille lynch syndrome".

i have a library in my house bro, and none of it pertains to fiction, it's all historical and fact based.  let me just correct you on your observation if i may. the willie lynch syndrome have nothing @ all to do with the predicament we find ourselves in, post independence.

after all the africans were not on the plantations when this tactic was implemented, instead they were colonized and different tactics was used on them altogether, and yet they are the worst managed and governed independent states in the world.

personally, i believe that black ppl were not ready for such an undertaking, and now we're paying for it quite darely. the colonizers knew before hand that they would fail, bc in order to self govern properly and effectively, you must have love for state (patriotism), educated in the ways of governance and financial support, of which we had none.

trinidad got lucky bc we struck oil, but had we limited resources the like of jamaica, haiti or guyana, we too would've been killing for political control (which brings opportunity to the hopeless) and would've possibly decayed quite earlier.

we had billions @ our disposal, but instead of building the economy and the infrastructure, our leaders and politicians decide to do the opposite, steal and embezzle.

this happened bc of a lack of love for the state and it's inhabitants. when a leader's main concerns are self centered, and not for the state, they seek only the welfare of their inner circle. this audacious mind set is a result of lack of education (and i don't mean books), and pride in it's responsibilities to the state, mind you, this mentality still permeates in our society to this day!

classic example, our footballers. they play football for recognition and clout, and not for the love and respect of the game. they have more respect for an arsenal or barcelona shirt than the national shirt. that's bc they are a product of that lack of true patriotism, that love and care for everything that pertains to the state, and if needs be, giving their very lives to protect and up keep the well being of the state.

trust meh horse, it scarcely have trinis, jamaican or guyanese outside of military personnel who would pick up arms and die for their state if needs be! same with most of these colonies where black ppl govern, they not giving their lives to protect nothing but their own selfish interest!  that's just the plain ole truth. 

fact iz, we were certainly not ready for self reliance, and the colonizers knew that all too well, and i'm pretty sure when they need a chuckle to brightened their gloomy days they tune in to the former colonies, i'm also sure that they sit around laughing their arses off at the selfish clueless n!gger trying to rule himself.
hek, i'd laugh too!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:51:36 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:46 AM »
It doesn't really matter whether real or fake(thanks for letting me know though), the methods mentioned in it are real....A lot of the black community(if we can call it that) is still trapped.

No doubt about that.  We need something reshaping the lens that was created for us.  I think a good education and now access to information on the internet will speed these changes along.  White superiority is really a colonial idea less than 400 years old. 
Trini1  Willie Lynch is a made up character.  He was not a real person.  Actually heard it last week from a buddy of mine that did the research for one of his art projects entitled, 'How to make a God and a Slave.'   Hey used some "Willi Lynch" audio but the story he discovered is false.   The methods aren't but there's no Wille Lynch. 

I coulda told you that.

one of the things i that really irks me about reverse racism, is the unfounded falsehood that they spew just to gain leverage, and organizations like the nation of islam, hebrew isrealites and other over zealous groups that proclaim pro black identity, like certain elements of the rastafari movement are totally guilty of that.

they tend to invent and embellish history, of which i've been a victim of for decades, and it's just as disappointing and annoying when a black person lies to gain some form of leverage, and in the same breath has the gall to accuse the whiteman of manipulating history, (which they did) but still these pro black groups has no right to follow suit in order to do damage control.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:23:35 AM by just cool »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 02:45:19 AM »

Bredren, don't want tuh come across as arrogant and a know it all, but i've read this yrs ago, even have the little book that the NOI sold in their books store titled "wille lynch syndrome".

i have a library in my house bro, and none of it pertains to fiction, it's all historical and fact based.  let me just correct you on your observation if i may. the willie lynch syndrome have nothing @ all to do with the predicament we find ourselves in, post independence.

after all the africans were not on the plantations when this tactic was implemented, instead they were colonized and different tactics was used on them altogether, and yet they are the worst managed and governed independent states in the world.

personally, i believe that black ppl were not ready for such an undertaking, and now we're paying for it quite darely. the colonizers knew before hand that they would fail, bc in order to self govern properly and effectively, you must have love for state (patriotism), educated in the ways of governance and financial support, of which we had none.

trinidad got lucky bc we struck oil, but had we limited resources the like of jamaica, haiti or guyana, we too would've been killing for political control (which brings opportunity to the hopeless) and would've possibly decayed quite earlier.

we had billion @ our disposal, but instead of building the economy and the infrastructure, our leaders and politicians decide to do the opposite, steal and embezzle.

this happened bc of a lack of love for the state and it's inhabitants. when a leader's main concerns are self centered, and not for the state, then they seek only the welfare of their inner circle. this audacious mind set is a result of lack of education, (and i don't mean books) and pride in it's responsibilities to the state, and this mentality still permeates in our society to this day!

classic example, our footballers. they play football for recognition and clout, and not for the love and respect of the game. they have more respect for a barcelona or arsenal shirt than the national shirt. that's bc they are a product of that lack of true patriotism, which is love and care for everything that pertains to the state, and if needs be, giving their very lives to protect and up keep the well being of the state.

trust meh horse, it scarcely have trinis, jamaican or guyanese outside of the military personnel who would pick up arms and die for their state if needs be! same with most of these colonies where black ppl govern, they not giving their lives to protect nothing but their own selfish interest, and that's the plain truth. 

fact iz, we just not ready for self reliance, and the colonizers knew that all too well, and i'm pretty sure when they need a chuckle to brightened their gloomy days they tune in to the former colonies, and i'm also sure they're just sit around and laughing their arses off at the selfish clueless n!gger trying to rule himself.

Point taken, I just stumbled upon it this year and found it interesting but obviously I've now been enlightened. Still a sad state of affairs...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 03:09:18 AM »
Gawd.. not this Willie Lynch shit again.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »
Someone mentioned in an earlier post the "Tragedy of The Broken Family"...this is the root of the issues on the African people globally. A by product of "Spiritual Warefare" from the beginning of time. The enemy destroyed Adam and Eve family...where there is no LOVE there is no unity which leads to corruption in every facet of our existance. The Jews and other ethnic groups have figured this out and we are still playing catch up. The families who have strong bonds internally show the qualities of good self governance, discipline and unity. If the leaders are void on genuine LOVE and filled with brokeness, they lead their entire nations into corruption, lawlwssness and destruction through selfish motives wrapped in policy and governance.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »

;D

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
JC I hear you on the lack of pride for country where it concerns Caribbean people.  Somehow though I can't hit that with to broad a brush.  You making it sound like we just watless(worthless).  I will agree as Contro made the point in another thread, we need to teach our own history to our people.   And tell some good stories.  For to long we're being taught someone else's history.  In the story of course they are the champions and we are the victims.   I have never heard one story of a Trinidadian slave rising up against the master.  I know of the Maroons from Jamaica, Mr. Toussaint from Haiti but nothing from Trinidad.  I think we have failed at telling our story to our people.  No compelling story?  Then nothing to be proud about. 

The stuff Trinis proud about is how cool we are, nice people, good party, carnival, soca and calypso.   And these are very very good and cherishable things.  But none of that stuff significantly affects our GDP.  :)

I asked this before.  Is the government offering any incentive for Trini professionals working abroad to come back home?   Reverse the Brain Drain?   My wife begging me to move back.  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:39:37 PM by Preacher »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Let me make my position clear on this independence matter, bc i don't want to be misunderstood, whcih seems to happen around here quite frequently.

now i not exonerating the colonialist in any way, IMO, they are the ones who deserves 2/3 of the blame if not more, for the deplorable state of most these former colonies.

IMO the british should've implemented transitory governance, for @ least 50 yrs, teaching and instilling and implementing pride, efficiency and patriotism in a ppl who had none, and let us not fool ourselves, there were ppl who were living in these colonies that had ties to other places and not necessarily to the colony it self, and did see themselves as being trapped by the state and not so much part of it.

chinese, portuguess, and indians ppl for instance were there less than 100 yrs and still had dreams of return to their native land,  even some africans who were freed just over 100 yrs were made to feel less than welcomed, and struggled immensely just for a daily bred, had no real love and pride in the state.

it's not like china, india or certain countries in africa who had thousands of yrs of history and ties to their country, and yet still, they still found themselves in turmoil bc of power hungry dictators and selfish mad men, but @ least they had pride in their state.

the west indian had no clue as to what he was doing and had no financial support, and under these circumstances the british had no right to grant independence! like i said, the transition should have taken @ least 50 yrs, with an interim government meticulously mentored and supervised by the colonials with tip top financial support and transparency,

but off course this didn't happen, and we all know why. the crown was taking a hit in the pocket, not that they were losing, but they weren't making enough to hold on to this burden, and with the advent of the industrial revolution, cash crops were rendered obsolete, and technology, oil, and manpower on the main land became king.

right now, it's ah shame how much catching up these former plantation slave colonies have to do, no thanx to the mother country of course.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:52:25 AM by just cool »

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
JC: The objective of "Spiritual Wickedness" is to steal, devour and destroy, so the Colonialist would have no integrity or obligation towards restoration or commitment to make whole anyone they have had their hands on. The wickedness still exists not in the form of obvious physical slavery, but in financial and psychological dimensions...graphed into psycho-socialization , global economic trade policy and governance. They still dictate to a certain extent through the educational system and its content which is designed to shape idealogy and loyalty. (That's why you often insists that Trinis need to educate themselves...literally!) Unless there is a renewing of the mind from top to bottom these nations will continue to be playing catch up. Freedom and Independence has to be understood on a very personal level for a nation to thrive and overcome the "fallout" residue of colonialism.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:47:04 PM by CK1 »
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
JC: The objective of "Spiritual Wickedness" is to steal, devour and destroy, so the Colonialist would have no integrity or obligation towards restoration or commitment to make whole anyone they have had their hands on. The wickedness still exists not in the form of obvious physical slavery, but in financial and psychological dimensions...graphed into psycho-socialization , global economic trade policy and governance. They still dictate to a certain extent through the educational system and its content which is designed to shape idealogy and loyalty. (That's why you often insists that Trinis need to educate themselves...literally!) Unless there is a renewing of the mind from top to bottom these nations will continue to be playing catch up. Freedom and Independence has to be understood on a very personal level for a nation to thrive and overcome the "fallout" residue of colonialism.

Plain talk.  CK1 it's hard to look to government as the only answer to personal issues.  You hit the nail in your previous post though, concerning the institution of the family and the role it plays in a healthy society.  As you can see the beneficiaries of slavery knew this all to well.  What they couldn't take was the universal laws God set up.   It is at this junction we all get to choose personal responsibility. Even if some want the see the bible as old time social commentary.  :)  It does say "The sins of the fathers are passed to the 3rd and 4th generations."  It also says "Sin is a reproach to all people but righteousness exalts a nation"  Both these scriptures are anchored in the health of the family institution. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:13:35 PM by Preacher »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
JC I hear you on the lack of pride for country where it concerns Caribbean people.  Somehow though I can't hit that with to broad a brush.  You making it sound like we just watless(worthless).  I will agree as Contro made the point in another thread, we need to teach our own history to our people.   And tell some good stories.  For to long we're being taught someone else's history.  In the story of course they are the champions and we are the victims.   I have never heard one story of a Trinidadian slave rising up against the master.  I know of the Maroons from Jamaica, Mr. Toussaint from Haiti but nothing from Trinidad.  I think we have failed at telling our story to our people. No compelling story?  Then nothing to be proud about. 

The stuff Trinis proud about is how cool we are, nice people, good party, carnival, soca and calypso.   And these are very very good and cherishable things.  But none of that stuff significantly affects our GDP.  :)

I asked this before.  Is the government offering any incentive for Trini professionals working abroad to come back home?   Reverse the Brain Drain?   My wife begging me to move back.  :)
But we do preacher, but these house n!ggers who made up the teachin curriculum in the MOE was busy making a pay check and nothing else. precher , yuh also have to understand that trinidad was not a typical slave colony.

yuh must read the history of trinidad and tobago (by none other than, DR Eric williams). i read this book @ least four times and although he did not cover every aspect of what took place from the inception, he did however, give enough details to have a general idea of what went on initially.

breds, almost every country that had slaves, encountered revolts. in trinidad we had the comaboule riots, of which jouvert has it's origin. we also had the slave revolt where the slaves escaped and took to the laventille hills, and many more stories of uprising and decent, even in barbados with a slave name bussa.

yuh also have to understand why these things were not taught in our class rooms. trinidad unlike jamaica and other slave colonies were not taken good care of by the spaniards.

there were very little plantations, it was under developed, and we had no gold, which was the spaniards main focus, and we only had about 10,000 slaves on the  whole island on cocoa plantations. it's only after the french revolution the spaniards decide to collaborate with the french, and they came in with their slaves to develop and establish trinidad as a bonafide plantation colony.

after the french came in and began governing in 1783, they brought in their citizens who were mainly plantation owners who brought slaves from gaudelope, martinique, st lucia, grenada, dominica and st vicent. these ppl did not have an affinity to trinidad, and were only there for profit.

in 1797 less than 15 yrs of governing trinidad, the french settlers under spaniard rule, lost trinidad to the british. the british then decided to develop trinidad as a model slave colony. they brought in more slaves, the bulk being from guyana, then grenanda, and st vincent. the french and spaniard plantation owners and settlers were allowed to stay, and were given tax incentives in return for sugar production.

from the inception, trinidad was in no way ah stable society, we suffered underdevelopment by the spaniards, exchanged hands twice, from the spaniards to the french and finally the british in 1797.

in addition to that, we also had an influx of indentured workers after the abolition in 1834-1838, and as early as 1834 they began bringing in indentured workers. the first were the protugues, then the french, who didn't cut it and the vast majority died from the harshness of the plantation, the weather and diseases, with the bulk of the survivors going back to portugal, with only ah remnant remaining which settled in trinidad.

they then brought in the chinese, who also didn't cut it on the plantation. a lot of them didn't come with their women so they found it hard to settle and left, finally the british brought in the indians in 1844 as indentured workers, which worked out in the end.

@ the turn of the century, trinidad was a very progressive society with a stable thriving economy, which began to attract immigrants from all the over the colonies, both investors and settlers alike, from grenada, st vincent, barbados, guyana martinique, syria, lebonon, jews from europe, and even ppl from the USA running from jim crowe's oppressive laws.

so yuh see preacher, we were not like jamaica or haiti who had hundreds of yrs to form a bond to the island, no! we didn't have ppl who had enough time to develop a strong affinity to trinidad, and most saw trinidad as ah place of refuge, and had their hearts else where.

even today, most trinis don't really have love for trinidad, even though they bask in the glory of being trini. but the love, patriotism and connection is not there.

coming back to the main topic. this was never about trinidad, but rather the former colonies who didn't stand a chance on their own.

i believe independence was ah huge mistake especially in the english caribbean. IMO we @ least needed to be groomed into it, not thrown. after all, if you want to make a comparison, it's like taking your 14 yr old son and putting him out there on his own with no money and no marketable skills, just a bag of clothes and a tooth brush, "make it how yuh could kid".

now tell me, in most cases, wouldn't this kid get off to a rocky start with little chance of being successful ?                              positive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:51:01 PM by just cool »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »
Very interesting defense of the no national pride view.  Very informative too.  What's the name of Eric's book? 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »

;D

I hope allyuh realize that this "Willie Lynch" thing is a hoax.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
I have never heard one story of a Trinidadian slave rising up against the master.  I know of the Maroons from Jamaica, Mr. Toussaint from Haiti but nothing from Trinidad. 

Preacher, you can't be serious. They never taught you guys about Daaga and the uprising at the St. Joseph barracks(now the St. Joseph police station.)???!!!!  I learn that in St. Joseph RC by a teacher named Mr. Dolly. That is where Daaga(the now silent revolutionary who sits in parliament) got his name from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Joseph,_Trinidad_and_Tobago

Also noteworthy in the history of St. Joseph was the rebellion which occurred during British rulership of the island in 1837. The principal figure in the rebellion was an African who described himself as a chief called ‘Daaga'. This hero, who refused to be regarded as a slave, mustered support from his fellow Africans who were part of the Third West India Regiment, which was stationed there at the time. Although the rebellion was quickly quelled, it remains a momentous event in the struggle for African liberation in Trinidad and Tobago. St. Joseph was also the first area in Trinidad to have a railway service in operation.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:54:54 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
We , trinis just have to read and write we own history, whether, Afro, Indo, Euro, Amerindian, Chinese. It is OUR history.  Preacher here is a next one about the Arena massacre.

Missions were established as part of the Spanish colonization. In 1687, the Catalonian Capuchin friars were given responsibility for the conversion of the indigenous population of Trinidad and the Guianas. In 1713 the missions were handed over to the secular clergy. Due to shortages of missionaries, although the Missions were established they often went without Christian instruction for long periods of time. Tensions between priests and Amerindians led to the Arena Massacre of 1699, wherein the Amerindians murdered the priests. After being hunted by the Spanish, the survivors are reported to have committed suicide by jumping off cliffs into the sea.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
Preacher, here is a list again. After you read this, you can't say you din know.

http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c609142/ie/timeline_of_unrests_frame.html

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
Yeah Deeks thanks I booked mark that page.  If the school you referring to is St. Joseph Boys RC, then that's my old school self.  Can remember a Mr Dolly.  I know a Mr Bissessar.  :)  I took Common Entrance in 85. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:08 AM »
Very interesting defense of the no national pride view.  Very informative too.  What's the name of Eric's book? 
Preacher, i gave you the title , but you missed it.

dr williams wrote quite a few books, here's a list of some of his work.

"the history of the people of trinidad and tobago"

"from columbus to castro"

"inward hunger"

"capitalism and slavery"

"documents of west indian history"

"education in the british west indies"

i think he wrote more than what i've listed, but i don't know them all.       positive.

PS: here a little thing i found on the camboule riots.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canboulay_Riots

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:21:04 AM by just cool »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:45:41 AM by just cool »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
Yeah Deeks thanks I booked mark that page.  If the school you referring to is St. Joseph Boys RC, then that's my old school self.  Can remember a Mr Dolly.  I know a Mr Bissessar.  :)  I took Common Entrance in 85. 

I went St. Joseph RC also.  Played football and cricket in the valley. And used to bath in the river in a pool near the bridge. I don't know if that pool exist anymore. But in my times it was super. Especially about 2 days after a heavy rainfall. The water used to be high. I did common entrance in 68. I lived in Leonville, accross from WASA.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

I went St. Joseph RC also.  Played football and cricket in the valley. And used to bath in the river in a pool near the bridge. I don't know if that pool exist anymore. But in my times it was super. Especially about 2 days after a heavy rainfall. The water used to be high. I did common entrance in 68. I lived in Leonville, accross from WASA.
Yeah real cricket and football in the valley.   Ah time ah find a puppy in the valley bring it home.  In the road a fella say "your mudda send you to school, you bringing home dog?"  I take the dog back.  :)  Good school though.

1]; } ?>