April 27, 2024, 11:44:22 AM

Author Topic: Full scouting report on Bahrain  (Read 3692 times)

Offline gohb

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Full scouting report on Bahrain
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:11:14 AM »
Hi--it’s Peter Goldstein from Planet World Cup. I’m doing a preview of T&T-Bahrain for the website, but it’s pretty general, for general audiences. For you guys I thought I’d do a full scouting report on Bahrain, based on the tapes of two games: their 0:1 loss home to Japan, and their 0:1 loss at Iran. I didn’t see the games against Uzbekistan, which were played under a different coach. But he used the same players, and according to one account, the same tactical scheme. I can’t guarantee it, though, and of course they might always come up with new tactics for T&T.

(I apologize in advance for the long post, but I thought I’d get all the information in one spot.)

In the games I saw, Bahrain played a 3-5-2. They’re a fast team that relies primarily on the counterattack. They rarely press high up the field; they let you get into their own half, and then work to deny space and intercept passes. Their speed makes them dangerous on the counter; they have some good passers who release fast runners in attack. They’re not as strong if they have to build slowly.   

Although the team is fast, they’re not particularly strong, and are vulnerable to physical play, particularly in midfield. T&T may have to get more physical than usual in order to win the 50-50 battles.

Bahrain’s back line are ordinary markers; they sometimes leave a little space in front of the line where attackers can find room to operate. How much space there is may depend on whether they decide to play #17, Hussein Ali Baba, in a picket role in front of the back 3 (see below). A logical tactic for T&T would be to get Latapy or Yorke in that space to send Stern John through, or drop John back at times to combine with the midfielders. The left side of Bahrain’s back 3 is weaker (again, see below), and this may provide opportunities for Carlos Edwards.

Most of Bahrain’s attacking strength is through the middle. The main playmaker, #10 Mohammed Salmeen, and the main attacking midfielder, #13 Talal Yusuf, operate best in the center of the pitch, although Yusuf occasionally drifts wide. They have a wide man, #29 Mohammed Hubail, but he doesn’t seem as effective. I haven’t seen #30, Alaa Hubail, their top striker.

They have two tall defenders, #3 Abdulla Marzooq and #16 Sayed Mohammed Adnan, who defend well in the air. At the other end of the field, they tend to keep the ball on the ground, which might cause problems for Marvin Andrews and Dennis Lawrence.

Despite the two tall defenders, Bahrain seemed a bit shaky at times defending set pieces. Iran’s goal came on a corner kick. I think T&T may have chances there. On Bahrain’s set pieces, Yusuf is very good at curling the ball into the area, but they probably don’t have the height to take advantage.

Because Bahrain defends so well, and will probably play for 0:0, I think T&T will have to go forward early and often, with Aurtis Whitley a full partner in the attack, and Silvio Spann (assuming he starts at right back) on the overlap. They’ll have to risk a bit, and hope the defense can deal with the counter. If T&T takes it too deliberate, a scoreless draw is very likely.

Now the individual profiles:

Keeper

#1, Hassan Ali. He had a good game against Japan, not so good against Iran. Against Japan he commanded his area very well, but against Iran he hung back on his line too much, particularly on set pieces. It might have been nerves, since he got stronger as the game went on. In both games he looked solid, but not exceptional, stopping shots. I think he’s a good keeper who may have had an off day against Iran.

Defenders

#3, Abdulla Marzooq. Plays on the right side of the 3-man line. Tall and mobile, very good technically. Can be spectacular at times, but on occasion can get caught out. Will join the attack every once in a while.

#16, Sayed Mohammed Adnan. Plays in the middle. Tall, smooth, intelligent sweeper-type. Reads the game well. Sort of the ice to Marzooq’s fire.

#12, Mohammed Basheer Juma. Plays on the left. The weakest of the three. In the games I saw, he tended to come out at the wrong time and leave gaps. He has good cover (see below, midfielders), but T&T may be able to take advantage by loading up on that side. Yorke, Whitley, and Spann should be ready to combine with Edwards.

Midfielders

#14, Salman Isa. Left wingback. Very fast, very quick feet, good tackler, more effective in defense than attack. Most vulnerable when you run right at him, and that might be Edwards’ best approach.

#7, Sayed Jalal. Left midfield. A lot like Isa, fast, an excellent tackler, basically a defender. Plays on the left, but can cover the whole field if necessary.

#10, Mohammed Salmeen. Central midfield. A deep-lying playmaker, smooth, a passer more than a dribbler. Effective at getting the ball out on the counter.

#17, Hussein Ali Baba. Right midfield or defensive midfield. A little larger and not quite as fast as Isa or Jalal. Reads the game very well. His natural position is in front of the back 3, but may also play on the right. A first-class long passer.

#13, Talal Yusuf. The danger man. Excellent attacking midfielder or withdrawn forward. Fast, very good dribbler, he can take apart defenses and either score himself or set up teammates. Willing to shoot from middle range as well.

Forwards

#29, Mohammed Hubail. Best as a right winger, but can play right wingback if Yusuf plays as a forward. Very fast, only fair technically, not a good defender. Didn’t do much in the games I saw, but has scored some goals in the qualifiers.

#9, Husain Ali. All-purpose striker, can dribble a bit, can play both centerforward and support man. Didn’t make much impact in the games I saw.

#30, Alaa Hubail. The star. He’s been out with injuries, so I didn’t see him play, and it’s not clear how fit he’ll be for the playoffs. But everyone agrees he’s the man, and when healthy he scores a lot of goals. According to descriptions, he’s small, fast, and hard-working.

Like I said, I didn’t see the Uzbekistan games, so the new coach may have altered the scheme a bit. But he used the same players, and I think we would have heard if he’d made drastic changes.

Hope this helps. Go Warriors!

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Full scouting report on Bahrain
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:15:27 AM »
Thanks 4 the rundown. This is useful info.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:20:54 AM »
Many thanks!

Despite the two tall defenders, Bahrain seemed a bit shaky at times defending set pieces.

I saw some highlights of the Uzbek leg 1 playoff and it looked like Uzbek had  a few good chances from free kicks, hit the bar on one.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:28:01 AM »
Thanks a million for this useful report on the Bahrain team!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:36:30 AM »
Excellent Peter.
The picture gets clearer now
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 07:46:55 AM »

(I apologize in advance for the long post, but I thought I’d get all the information in one spot.)
doh worry, tallman not here!!! so we could post how long we want!!!  ;D
Flex a lil more lenient :D.
seriously though..thanks for the rundown.

Offline trinimuse

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:59:46 AM »
Thanks Peter, we always look forward to your articles on Planet Worldcup.. Somebody who have BeenieMan's email, send this to him nah?...!

Offline 2 B OR NOT 2 B

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 08:03:08 AM »
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn !!!!!
this is so true , all what u said is f**kin true .
it seems that u r a coach or something !!
anyway there are still some points that u dont know and can suprise u and ur team .

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 08:10:38 AM »
I think we could Deal with Bahrain.

The Key will be breaking them down for the first goal.
I expect them to defend from the start and play on the break.

Our defense is not as suspect to the counter attack because Dog and Andrews are stitting back more now so there is less space to exploit in the back.

Also if we start Cyd Grey and also Avery have decent speed to cover.
It may however be better to start Spann as a more attacking option in the first leg.
and take the risk on the counter.

Latapy will unlock their defense

It will be up to stern to stop missing goals.

I would like to see Yorke in the box more to try to get some finishing and leave the defensive midfield for whittley and Birchald to run.

If this game go perfect

we will get 3 goals in the first half and then force them to chase the game.

If the tides are turned and they have to force the game and we play them on the break they will never break down our defense and they will leak goals to our counter attack.

Especially if we bring on speedy Jones or scotland.

The First goals for TnT is the Key.

Stop them in midfield like we did the mexicans and score our chances

It will be Bye Bye Bahrain.

Licks for so

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
I would like  Sancho in the backline replacing Tallest if not injured because Sancho is faster which seems to b one of our problems and a better tackler as well.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 08:31:09 AM »
I doubt bennie will replace sancho with tallest.

he tends to coach by keeping the same squad unless forced to make a change due to suspension or injury.

and tallman has been playing well even though he not quick

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 08:33:32 AM »
Thanx for the info... Much appreciated

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 08:53:15 AM »
thanks Peter.

Offline talal_13

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 08:53:36 AM »

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 08:59:56 AM »
tks man
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 09:02:15 AM »
Just want to say I enjoy your writing. very professional, knowledgeable on both CONCACAF and football in general.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 09:11:35 AM »
   Thanks a million Peter.

Regards,

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 10:31:11 AM »
nice report dan :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

TrinInfinite

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 10:37:48 AM »
very good report mr.goldstein, look forward 2 hear ur breakdown of us in de future

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 10:44:00 AM »
yea peter thanks alot i hope u aint give a report like dis to

bahrainwarriors. net :beermug:
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 11:04:10 AM »
If this analysis is really from Peter Goldstein, it can be useful.

Tallman or someone else (with TTFF connections), can you see that this analysis is passed on to the TTFF Admin?

Thanks again Peter!

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 11:58:38 AM »
thank you very much, good points well done.   :beermug:

but wouldn't beenie have this info already? as in a week ago or more.

but again cheers  :beermug: sir.  i enjoy reading your articles.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 12:01:25 PM »
however dis could also be a bahrain fan also, wit very good analytical skills, verification may be needed here, but pass de info to beenhakker and we'll see if it concurs with what he has

Offline gohb

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 12:15:21 PM »
however dis could also be a bahrain fan also, wit very good analytical skills, verification may be needed here, but pass de info to beenhakker and we'll see if it concurs with what he has

It's really me. But, like football king said, I'm sure Beenhakker has all this information and more.

Peter

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »
Thanks again Peter!

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »
That has to be Peter. It's no way 2 people can register the same name and he has posted before.

Thanks for the report.  :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 02:19:39 PM »
Thank you for your report Peter..... I will pass on your report to the TTFF....
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 02:40:52 PM »
Nice analysis Peter.  i must admit that u got alot of information from those 2 games, and we all appreciate the help.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Alsalman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 06:12:07 PM »
Good job peter, I think you are pretty spot on  ;)

1]; } ?>