March 28, 2024, 03:57:22 AM

Author Topic: 6 Year Old Girl Arrested in GA  (Read 2217 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
6 Year Old Girl Arrested in GA
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »
6-year-old girl handcuffed by police over ‘tantrum’

By Eric Pfeiffer
Reporter Yahoo News
 .PostsRSS .By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – Tue, Apr 17, 2012....Email
Share40Print.....
6-year-old Salecia Johnson was handcuffed by police over alleged 'tantrum' (AP/13WMAZ.com)
It's been quite the day for 6-year-olds in the news. Earlier, we told you about the courageous, 6-year-old Texas boy who has already raised $10,000 for his Dad's cancer treatment.

In less positive news, a 6-year-old girl in Georgia was handcuffed by police and charged with assault after throwing a "tantrum" in her elementary school. Local tv affiliate 13WMAZ reports that Salecia Johnson, who is in kindergarten, was detained by police after her alleged outburst.

"Our policy is that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Chief of Police Dray Swicord, told the station.

Swicord said the officer who handcuffed Johnson is not facing an investigation over his actions. Swicord added that Johnson was handcuffed for her safety as well as the safety of others. She was taken to the principal's office after pushing two other students, according to a police report.

"The student was never placed in a holding cell or jail cell and the student's safety was of the utmost importance," Swicord said.

However, Johnson's parents are trying to organize a community protest against the officer's actions, including reported plans to contact civil rights activist and MSNBC host Al Sharpton.

The officer's police report says Johnson began tearing items off the school principal's office walls and was throwing furniture. The report says Johnson knocked over a shelf that injured the principal.

Johnson also was reportedly biting a doorknob and attempting to break a glass frame while jumping on top of a paper shredder.

"She has mood swings some days, which all of us had mood swings some days," Johnson's mother Constance Ruff told WMAZ. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

After Johnson was handcuffed, she was taken to the local police station and charged with simple assault and damage to property. However, because of her young age, Johnson will reportedly not be prosecuted.

"A 6-year-old in kindergarten. They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child," said Earnest Johnson, Salecia's father.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Year Old Girl Arrested in GA
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »
They had no business? What was they suppose to do?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
They had no business? What was they suppose to do?
although the mother's nonchalant reponse to her kid biting a door knob is really odd

maybe jus put her in the back of the car, handcuffs on a child that small does seem excessive

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
They do the correct thing...because they couldn't put a proper cutarse on her.

Yuh cyar win

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
Steups.

Dahs de mother reply? Yuh chile bipolar or someting or she just have no blasted training?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
They do the correct thing...because they couldn't put a proper cutarse on her.

Yuh cyar win
Steups.

Dahs de mother reply? Yuh chile bipolar or someting or she just have no blasted training?

Exactly. The fact the child chose to act like that reflects the poor rearing by the parent. Even so, putting handcuffs on the child is excessive. It would be easy to restrain the child without having to put her in physical restraints.

Even though I was spoiled as a child to a certain extent, the minute I even spoke back to a teacher, is a cutarse from the teacher and one from my parents when I got home.

That sort of discipline is so sorely missed in society nowadays.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »
How are handcuffs excessive but "licks" appropriate?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
:applause:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:35:40 PM by triniairman »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »

It depends on how one defines "licks" If it means beating someone as if you are in a fist fight, then that is definitely inappropriate and grounds for arrest. However, a lashes with a belt is more proportional in my opinion. That is based on the Trinbagonian culture that I grew up in. However, even allowing for the North American context, you mean to tell me that someone couldn't physically restrain the child if she was getting out of hand? The child is six after all and grown, able-bodied adults were involved.

Again, given the absurdity of some of America's laws regarding assault, I can understand the predicament that the teachers were in; that is why I think that some of these laws and overall norms in American society regarding discipline of children to be misguided.

As a result of this incident, there is a child who is now most likely traumatized from having to make a trip down to a police station where she was held in a jail cell? If I were a child, I could quicker get over a spanking (licks would probably be not be a good term here) than the psychological damage of being placed in restraints and carried to a police station.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
Standard police procedure... unless yuh name "witness" or "victim" nobody riding in de back of a squad car w/o handcuffs.  Matter of fact, supreme court say once yuh riding yuh getting search too.  As much as I sense a racial element to this (what are the odds the officers would be just as eager to reach for the 'cuffs if she was li'l six-year old "Meghan" or "Emily"?).. bet she li'l tail learn ah lesson too.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »
if you behave like an animal, they go treat you like an animal.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »
look like a next case for al sharpton to chase.

didn't they have a case some time back when de police tasered a child?

puts this in perspective.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »
look like a next case for al sharpton to chase.

didn't they have a case some time back when de police tasered a child?

puts this in perspective.

Yep, in your mind.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>