April 18, 2024, 12:08:49 PM

Author Topic: West Indies vs. Australia 3rd Test, Roseau Dominica  (Read 6514 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
West Indies vs. Australia 3rd Test, Roseau Dominica
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
Australia seek winning finish to Test season

Match facts
April 23-27, Windsor Park
Start time 1000 (1400 GMT)

Big Picture

Australia have retained the Frank Worrell Trophy but a drizzly draw is far from enough to satisfy Michael Clarke. He wants his first West Indies tour as captain to end in victory, and the Australians have that chance over the next five days in Dominica. The second-least populous nation that makes up the West Indies cricket team (after St Kitts and Nevis), Dominica is an unfamiliar venue for the Australia players, none of whom have played at Windsor Park before.

Not that it's that familiar to some of the West Indians either: the veteran Shivnarine Chanderpaul has played only one first-class game there. West Indies do have a Dominican player in their side, the spinner Shane Shillingford, and he should play a key role having been preferred to Devendra Bishoo, who has been released from the squad.

West Indies might have lost the chance to regain the trophy but they can take encouragement from the Test in Trinidad, where they looked like making a real go of their chase of 215 on the final day until the weather intervened. They also dominated the first three days of the series in Barbados, so while Australia will enter the match as favourites, a 1-1 series draw is far from out of the question.

Form guide
(Most recent first)
West Indies DLDLL
Australia DWWWW

In the spotlight
Darren Sammy has made contributions throughout the Test series - in fact, throughout Australia's entire tour - but this would be the perfect time for him to play a match-winning role. In Barbados, he removed Australia's openers and made a handy 41 himself in the first innings and in Trinidad he showed a willingness to promote himself up the order when the situation demanded it. If he can combine a fast-paced innings of substance with a few wickets, he will be one step closer to ending his first Frank Worrell Trophy series as captain on a high.

Australia's Test-only players have a six-month break after this match and as one of the few in that category, Ed Cowan would feel much better over the winter if he was coming off a big Test innings. Cowan has now walked out to bat ten times for Australia and has two half-centuries to show for it, but no hundreds. His contributions in this series - 14, 34, 28 and 20 - have not been failures but nor have they cemented his place in the side. The same could be said of his partner David Warner on this trip, but Warner already has two Test centuries to his name. At some stage, Cowan will need to take that next step as well.

Team news
Fidel Edwards finished the Trinidad Test with what the captain Sammy described as "a slight niggle" and he could be replaced by Ravi Rampaul. Bishoo has been released from the squad, so there is no chance of West Indies picking two spinners. The Guyana batsman Assad Fudadin has joined the squad but is unlikely to find a place in the starting line-up.

West Indies (possible) : 1 Adrian Barath, 2 Kraigg Brathwaite, 3 Kieran Powell, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Narsingh Deonarine, 7 Carlton Baugh (wk), 8 Darren Sammy (capt), 9 Shane Shillingford, 10 Kemar Roach, 11 Ravi Rampaul.

Injuries have forced Peter Siddle and James Pattinson to head home, which will mean a return for Ryan Harris after he was rested following his Man-of-the-Match performance in the first Test in Barbados. Michael Beer bowled well in Trinidad but is expected only to hold his position if the Windsor Park pitch looks especially spin-friendly. It appears more likely that the left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Starc will come in for his fourth Test.

Australia (possible): 1 Ed Cowan, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Matthew Wade (wk), 8 Ryan Harris, 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Ben Hilfenhaus, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Pitch and conditions
Windsor Park is still in its international infancy. In its first Test, between West Indies and India last year, only a third of the wickets fell to spin. In the two four-day matches played at the venue during the domestic competition that has just finished, no team managed 300 in an innings. The forecast suggests there could be showers throughout the Test.

Stats and trivia
Shivnarine Chanderpaul needs 82 runs to reach 10,000 in Tests
Should West Indies win, it will be the first time since 1999 a Test series between the two sides has not been won by Australia

Kemar Roach's ten-wicket haul in Trinidad was the first time a West Indies bowler had achieved the feat in a Test since Corey Collymore claimed 11 against Pakistan in Jamaica in 2005

Quotes
"I'm pretty sure all the boys will want to make this Test a good one for themselves personally and for the team because we've had a really good summer, we want to finish on a high before we get stuck into one-day cricket and the Twenty20 World Cup."
Michael Clarke

"When Australia came here everybody didn't give us a chance, but we've played a brand of cricket that we want to get used to. That said we've still got to get the victories and that's what we're looking for. To level a series against Australia would be another stepping stone for us."
Darren Sammy on the prospects of sharing the series.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:01:45 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: West Indies vs. Australia 3rd Test, Roseau Dominica
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:36 AM »
Australia have won the toss and are batting.
Ravi Rampaul in for Fidel Edwards, gets the first wicket:

Cowan lbw b Rampaul 1
Australia 1/1 (1.4 ov)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
Australia have won the toss and are batting.
Ravi Rampaul in for Fidel Edwards, gets the first wicket:

Cowan lbw b Rampaul 1
Australia 1/1 (1.4 ov)

D CAPTIN NOW DROP SOMEBODY OF RAMPAUL.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
was now coming to post this..jeez an ages man, yuh cant drop sitters against AUS...
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
was now coming to post this..jeez an ages man, yuh cant drop sitters against AUS...

ENTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »
Yuh think Sammy could hold on to ah catch?  Geez...they now talking on Cricinfo bout how his mind might be on bowling, and that is why it is better to have a batting captain.  And this is early morning....come on captain.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
as i said before the annoying thing with sammy is that his bowling stats are still very good and better than most of our frontline bowlers. But fact is he needs to contribute in other areas. Can't remember him having such a bad series in the field before.
Just hoping the drop doesn't cost too much. We need to exert some pressure on AUS
Back in Trini...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »
as i said before the annoying thing with sammy is that his bowling stats are still very good and better than most of our frontline bowlers. But fact is he needs to contribute in other areas. Can't remember him having such a bad series in the field before.
Just hoping the drop doesn't cost too much. We need to exert some pressure on AUS

We keep allowing them to work themselves out of somewhat difficult positions.  That's been the difference between the two teams this series; they've been able to wiggle out of some sticky situations and we haven't

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
Shillingford takes takes his third wicket of the innings.

Australia are now 157/5.

Keep it up guys.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
Australia 175/7 (78.1 ov)

4 for Shillingford.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »
Lets hope that Austraalia tail dont wag like the first test where from 285 for 8 they ended up declaring at over 400.We seem to be capable of knocking over the first 4 or 5 but things seem to get more difficult as we get to the lower order,something seems to be lacking with a lack of variety,2 off spinners,2 fast men and i medium pacer,would be nice to have a leg-spinning all-rounder.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »
Once again, can't deal with the tail.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
we let the pressure slip real bad...AUS go feel good that they got passed 300. And they are doing it looking relatively comfortable. It may be that the pitch has gotten better to bat on. At least I hope so and we can exploit the conditions when our turn comes to bat
Now booked my ticket to see WI warm up match against sussex in a couple weeks, hope they deal with the english conditions well when they come
Back in Trini...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
Finally!

All out for 328.

they double the score for the last 3 wickets. Lock Hard!  :banginghead:

:applause: for Shillingford though:

O   M   R   W   Econ      
42.5   9   119   6   2.77      

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »
Finally!

All out for 328.

they double the score for the last 3 wickets. Lock Hard!  :banginghead:

:applause: for Shillingford though:

O   M   R   W   Econ      
42.5   9   119   6   2.77      

U still :banginghead: by now I say u accustom.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »
... and the collapse begins

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
Why do the West Indies batsmen make part-timers like Warner look like Shane Warne? Darren Bravo certainly can't seem to play spin like Brian.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
Why do the West Indies batsmen make part-timers like Warner look like Shane Warne? Darren Bravo certainly can't seem to play spin like Brian.

Spin Darren Bravo and Lara should never b in d same sentence.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: West Indies vs. Australia 3rd Test, Roseau Dominica
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

Spin Darren Bravo and Lara should never b in d same sentence.

Hahaha
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 12:04:40 AM »
we let the pressure slip real bad...AUS go feel good that they got passed 300. And they are doing it looking relatively comfortable. It may be that the pitch has gotten better to bat on. At least I hope so and we can exploit the conditions when our turn comes to bat
Now booked my ticket to see WI warm up match against sussex in a couple weeks, hope they deal with the english conditions well when they come

Yuh on false hope brother.
This team no better than any of the teams for the past 10yrs.
A captain that cant bat, cant bowl, cant field.
The best possible West Indies team would be

Gayle
Simmons
Sarwan
Samuel
Chanderpaul
Nash
Ramdin
Bravo
Rampaul
Edwards
Roach

Others to make the trip
Deonarine
Darren Bravo
Bishoo
Shillingford
Best
Pollard

But you would never see that.
BTW ah going Leeds on the 23rd for the 1 day
Ah want de woman on de bass

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 02:10:10 AM »
fishs forget the leeds game and come the oval on the 19th for d ODI!
Back in Trini...

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55:55 AM »

fishs forget the leeds game and come the oval on the 19th for d ODI!

I got it wrong.
I'm in Paddington for meetings from 18th t0 22nd...... so is either I go to the meetings and keep mih job or go to the Oval and Leeds watch silly Sammy and his band of tossers lose or go to the people meeting and go to Trent Bridge on the Sunday and watch silly Sammy and his band of tossers lose the only T2O

I think is T20 time.  NYTWB come an see this one

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 03:05:11 AM »

Sorry man ah was thinking is like taking a drive down south but is a 3hr train ride from London !!
But I still think ah going.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 05:51:18 AM »

Yuh on false hope brother.
This team no better than any of the teams for the past 10yrs.
A captain that cant bat, cant bowl, cant field.
The best possible West Indies team would be

Gayle
Simmons
Sarwan
Samuel
Chanderpaul
Nash
Ramdin
Bravo
Rampaul
Edwards
Roach

Others to make the trip
Deonarine
Darren Bravo
Bishoo
Shillingford
Best
Pollard

But you would never see that.
BTW ah going Leeds on the 23rd for the 1 day

When I see this line up, I thought the post was from last yr. yes.

Unfortunately, the WI have been given about 16 days to get used to the conditions before the first Test starts.
I expect to give a better showing by the Third Test which will be around one month after their arrival.

In a perfect world, this should be the line up:

Gayle
Barath
Edwards
Darren Bravo
Chanders
Dwayne Bravo
Ramdhin
Rampaul
Roach
Narine
Shillingford

Reserves:
Simmons/Braithwaite
Samuels
F. Edwards
Sammy
C. Baugh

I would keep an eye on Sarwan, he just scored a century for Leic. His first FC century in a year. If he shows good form in the next two to three weeks, he should be considered. He's already well adapted to the conditions there.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:33:37 AM »

The team ah pick is for the tests eh. But how yuh could leave out Bishoo and Shillingford to pick untested Narine (pardon the pun) ?

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »

"Ravi Boprara will play against the West Indies, I'm sure of that. Eoin Morgan won't play the first Test. He will have to score a load of runs to get back in the side. England will beat the West Indies 3-0 unless it rains. I just can't see how the West Indies are going to get enough runs against England's bowling attack."

Vaughan was talking at the launch of NatWest's Locals v Legends series. The scheme offers local cricket clubs across England and Wales an opportunity to play a T20 match against a team of England legends captained by Vaughan, with an aim of providing a boost to club funds.

I would like to have him eat his words but unfortunately he is right.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »

The team ah pick is for the tests eh. But how yuh could leave out Bishoo and Shillingford to pick untested Narine (pardon the pun) ?

I picked that team for Tests too and Shillingford is my number 11 batsman on the team, three pacers and two spinners with Gayle as back up.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:49 AM »
One critical difference between the the performances of the two teams has been the batting of the wicketkeepers. Wade makes a hundred in the first innings of his second test. How many runs has Baugh made in the first innings of his 21st test?

To compete in the modern game, West Indies must have a wicket-batsman who can bat well.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
To compete in the modern game, West Indies must have a wicket-batsman who can bat well.

Fixed it for you.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 09:30:03 AM »

Fixed it for you.

You're right. The term "batsman" has to be applied loosely to describe the overall batting performances of the West Indies team.

*Sigh* time for my West Indies Cricket Supporters Anonymous Meeting...

1]; } ?>