Our players are far better than those in the USL
0 (0%)
It is a terrible idea as it would be too costly
2 (33.3%)
It is a terrible idea as our players are not good enough
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: May 24, 2012, 01:09:08 PM

Author Topic: Should Trinidad and Tobago field a team in the USL?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Should Trinidad and Tobago field a team in the USL?
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:23 PM »
The United Soccer League (USL) is a lower division soccer league in the United States where many Trinidad and Tobago players ply their trade with the hope of breaking iinto the MLS.  Currently, their is a team formt he Caribbean, the Antigua Barracudas, in the league.  It seems to me that it would be a good idea for a Trinidad and Tobago based team in that league that would provide some local players with an opportunity to be exposed to a higher quality of play and provide an opportunity to be seen by MLS scouts.  Is that a consideratiion by local entrepeuners? IF not, why not?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should Trinidad and Tobago field a team in the USL?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
I see what youre saying here but i really dont think this is necessary. Players will be scouted if they play in the CCL. A team playing in the CCL faces better competition and has more opportunities to impress than in the USL. It is more important to play well in a competition than where you play. If we put a T&T team in the USL and they play poorly then it wont help. Now if we wanted to put a team in the Venezuela leagues i would strongly agree with this. However i understand that this is less likely to happen

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
I don't think the proposed benefits are worth the expenditure. We have had a ton of our players in that league over the years, so it's not like we necessarily need a team in that league in order to get our players exposed to that market. The environment may be more professional, but I'm not sure if the level of play is that much different than our Pro League.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
I see what youre saying here but i really dont think this is necessary. Players will be scouted if they play in the CCL. A team playing in the CCL faces better competition and has more opportunities to impress than in the USL. It is more important to play well in a competition than where you play. If we put a T&T team in the USL and they play poorly then it wont help. Now if we wanted to put a team in the Venezuela leagues i would strongly agree with this. However i understand that this is less likely to happen

I agree with putting a team in the Ven.  league. I don't see why it can't happen. Cannadian teams play in the MLS and is not a big deal. And then Swansea and Rexham plays in the English league. The only reason why it will not happen is the people who control football in outter  space. The other reason may be the Ven. may not agree to it.

But I would love to see us have a team in the Ven. league. I guess they may have to start in div2 and work their way up. I would not mind at all. As a matter of I have a name for the team. Atletico Trinbago!!!!! I even have the uniform for the team. Flamengo design red and black and River Plate whites.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:48:24 PM by Deeks »

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
it will help some players .......but alot of trinis do not aspire to the usl .....but it wont help trini football as only a 23 man squad will be used and with our mentality we sending a bunch of over d hill oldmen instead of youth....and we cah afford to be sending a team all over d states every other week

1]; } ?>