March 29, 2024, 02:53:56 AM

Author Topic: Players Suspension and Bans Thread.  (Read 717 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Players Suspension and Bans Thread.
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
Daniel Sturridge handed worldwide ban
Joe Prince-Wright
NBC Sports

Daniel Sturridge has been banned from playing worldwide until June 2020 and fined $190,000 for breaching betting regulations.

The former Liverpool striker had his contract mutually terminated with Turkish side Trabzonspor on Monday and now it is clear why.

Sturridge, 30, was found guilty of breaching the FA’s gambling regulations ( he had provided his brother with “inside information” over a bet regarding a possible transfer to Sevilla) and was handed a two-week ban last July.

However, the English FA thought that punishment by an independent regulatory commission was too lenient and appealed the decision. Hence why Sturridge is now banned until Jun. 17, 2020.

In a statement posted on their website on Monday the FA revealed that FIFA have now issued a worldwide ban on Sturridge:

“Daniel Sturridge has been suspended from all football and football-related activity from today until the end of 17 June 2020. Following an appeal by the FA of the previous findings of the independent regulatory commission in this case, an independent appeal board has found that the regulatory commission misapplied the FA’s rules in relation to the use of inside information and made findings of fact which could not be sustained.

“As a result, the appeal board has found proven two further charges which were originally dismissed. Other factual findings of the regulatory commission were left undisturbed. In relation to the sanction, the appeal board agreed with the FA that the penalty originally imposed on Mr Sturridge was unduly lenient and therefore increased his effective playing ban from two weeks to four months. The appeal board also doubled the fine to £150,000. FIFA has confirmed that the suspension will be of worldwide effect.”

RELATED NEWS

Daniel Sturridge ‘devastated’ as he breaks silence after being banned from football
Alex Pattle
The Independent

Daniel Sturridge has admitted he is “devastated” to be banned from football until June for breaking betting rules and called on companies to be prevented from taking bets on player transfers in the wake of the decision.

The ex-Liverpool player is suspended from all football and football-related activity until the end of June 17 after the Football Association successfully appealed against the initial punishment given to him last summer.

Sturridge, 30, was handed a two-week ban and £75,000 fine last June after an independent regulatory commission found he had given his brother inside information on a possible move to Sevilla during the January 2018 transfer window.

At the time, the FA revealed it had appealed against the commission’s findings as well as the sanctions imposed, believing them to be too lenient.

And an independent appeal board has now found the commission misapplied the FA’s rules in relation to the use of inside information and made findings of fact which could not be sustained.

The appeal board has therefore proven two further charges and agreed with the FA that the penalty originally imposed on Sturridge was unduly lenient, increasing his effective playing ban from two weeks to four months.

His fine has also been doubled to £150,000 and FIFA has confirmed that the suspension will be of worldwide effect.

On the decision, Sturridge told his official YouTube account: “This has been a very long drawn out process over the last couple of years and difficult to concentrate on my football.

“I am going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends freely without the real risk of being charged.

“I feel the betting companies and the practice and process of people placing bets on players’ moving clubs has to be stopped and although the appeal panel had recognised I hadn’t bet and no one else had bet, I was still charged.

“It was very disappointing and upsetting for me to hear the news that the appeal panel had overturned the original highly qualified panel’s ruling.

“With that being said, it is devastating for me and I’m absolutely gutted about it. My season is over and I am devastated.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Players Suspension and Bans Thread.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 12:51:56 PM »
Too bad for Sturridge, I sure hope he learns from this. I didn't know he left Liverpool but I wonder why he didn't stay in the premier league,  I'll be surprised if other clubs didn't want him. I was thought he was a good forward just Liverpool might've been too loaded for him right now.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Players Suspension and Bans Thread.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »
He is made of glass and tissue paper and is possibly a hypochondriac. You'll be paying for him to test different treatment tables.

1]; } ?>