April 15, 2024, 10:36:25 PM

Author Topic: Facebook IPO: $5 Billion Filing to Sell Stock in May  (Read 9204 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Facebook IPO: $5 Billion Filing to Sell Stock in May
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »
Facebook Backers Plan to Sell Up to $5.5 Billion in Stock
By Sarah Frier - May 3, 2012 9:42 PM PT

Facebook Inc. (FB) investors Accel Partners and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) plan to sell as much as $1.8 billion in shares of the top social network, becoming two of the biggest sellers in the planned initial public offering.

Goldman Sachs is selling 13.2 million shares, worth as much as $461.6 million at the high end of the range outlined yesterday by Menlo Park, California-based Facebook. Accel Partners, an early investor in Facebook, intends to sell as much as $1.3 billion of shares.

Facebook unveiled plans yesterday to raise as much as $11.8 billion in the largest-ever Internet IPO. Executives including Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg and backers such as Digital Sky Technologies will sell a total of 157.4 million shares for as much as $35 apiece, according to a regulatory filing. None will unload their entire holding.

“You don’t like to see insiders getting out, and they’re selling a little more than expected,” said Erik Gordon, a professor at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. “It certainly shows in some people’s minds that the price is pretty full, because if you really thought that 12 months later the stock would be 50 percent higher, you wouldn’t leave that on the table.”

At the high end of the range, Facebook would be valued at $96 billion, and executive and investor sales would yield $5.5 billion. Existing shareholders paid an average of $1.11 a share for Facebook, the filing shows.
Goldman Sachs Sale

Facebook is offering 180 million shares to raise funds for general corporate purposes.

While Goldman Sachs is one of the IPO underwriters, it failed to win the lead role after scuttling a private sale of Facebook’s stock to U.S. investors last year. Facebook said in January 2011 it raised $1.5 billion from Goldman Sachs and Digital Sky Technologies, valuing the company at $50 billion. Goldman Sachs, affiliated funds and Digital Sky invested $500 million, while non-U.S. investors in a Goldman Sachs fund bought $1 billion of shares.

Michael DuVally, a spokesman for New York-based Goldman Sachs, declined to comment on the plans to sell Facebook shares. Richard Wong, a partner at Accel Partners, declined to comment.

Zuckerberg will offer 30.2 million of his 533.8 million shares in the sale, bringing him as much as $1.1 billion. The majority of his net proceeds will be used to pay taxes associated with exercising a stock option.
Accel, Digital Sky

Accel, the biggest outside holder, invested $12.2 million in Facebook in 2005 and owns 11.3 percent of Facebook’s Class B shares. At the high end of the proposed IPO price range, Accel’s remaining stake would be valued at about $5.7 billion.

Digital Sky is selling 26.3 million shares to yield as much as $919 million.

Selling may be smart for holders with large stakes who haven’t had a chance to diversify their assets, said Gordon, of the Ross School of Business.

Other selling stockholders include Elevation Partners, Greylock Partners, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), Zynga Inc. (ZNGA) Chief Executive Officer Mark Pincus and LinkedIn Corp. (LNKD) Chairman Reid Hoffman. The investors are selling only parts of their Facebook stakes.

Co-founder Dustin Moskovitz and early backer Sean Parker are holding on to their stakes in the IPO, though both may sell a portion if the underwriters exercise their option to buy additional shares. T. Rowe Price Group Inc. will keep its more than 5 percent holding.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-03/zuckerberg-facebook-backers-plan-to-sell-5-5-billion-in-stock.html

I thinking about investing in these stocks, I would like to know some of the forumites opinion on this type of investment.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook IPO: $5 Billion Filing to Sell Stock in May
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »
Personally I feel it go start off hot and sweaty nice and high....kinda cruise mid range in price and dive when the next best ting come along

same way facebook dus out myspace......someting else go blow out facebook in a couple years

...or so I Hopin because I go ketch ass to afford plenty shares when they first go public anyway ;)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
Personally I feel it go start off hot and sweaty nice and high....kinda cruise mid range in price and dive when the next best ting come along

same way facebook dus out myspace......someting else go blow out facebook in a couple years

...or so I Hopin because I go ketch ass to afford plenty shares when they first go public anyway ;)
I can't see them fading anytime soon with so much followers..If I see or sniff anything that can compete with them, then I'll have the option to either sell or trade.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:19:21 AM »
I was thinking of buying some of these shares only to hear from one of these wall pundits when facebook go public small fish like me would not have any chances it will be for big, big, big fishes only .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:14:49 AM »
I wouldn't touch it.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
when google had their ipo, they had some kind of auction to try to get some of the shares into the common man hands. this look like it might turn into a big boy event.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
Well I got 5G to play with, I going brave and hopefully I get some of it... Just got an account with Charles Schwabb.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »
Soooooo the news is that the launch eh as spectacular as originally thought......what all yuh think??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
 I thought there would be at least a $20 jump in the stock price because of insane, overzealous investors... It has to be disappointing for Facebook employees as well. Now they just start the grind of being a public company and hitting quarter to quarter number targets. Not as much fun as the build up (but probably fun to be rich on paper). Unfortunately, I don't see a bright future and expect the valuation to plunge off a cliff in the next few months... Here's why: "Underwriters stepped in to support the company's shares at the IPO price, according to a person familiar with the matter. There were more than 30 banks involved in the deal."

So, basically, the game was rigged. Big investors came in and made buys above the trade price to inflate the value. In in-person auctions, this is called "shilling." I took heat from some pundits when I said that investing in the Facebook IPO was a poor idea given the fact that most IPO's lose steam and value pretty quickly after opening on the market . . . chalk this one up to a veteran of the dot.com boom (and subsequent bust) . . . I mean does anyone remember Palm? Getting on the purported ground floor of an IPO is usually the equivalent of fool's gold. Wait a few weeks even months until the pre-market hype subsides before you decide if you want to invest.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
I thought there would be at least a $20 jump in the stock price because of insane, overzealous investors... It has to be disappointing for Facebook employees as well. Now they just start the grind of being a public company and hitting quarter to quarter number targets. Not as much fun as the build up (but probably fun to be rich on paper). Unfortunately, I don't see a bright future and expect the valuation to plunge off a cliff in the next few months... Here's why: "Underwriters stepped in to support the company's shares at the IPO price, according to a person familiar with the matter. There were more than 30 banks involved in the deal."

So, basically, the game was rigged. Big investors came in and made buys above the trade price to inflate the value. In in-person auctions, this is called "shilling." I took heat from some pundits when I said that investing in the Facebook IPO was a poor idea given the fact that most IPO's lose steam and value pretty quickly after opening on the market . . . chalk this one up to a veteran of the dot.com boom (and subsequent bust) . . . I mean does anyone remember Palm? Getting on the purported ground floor of an IPO is usually the equivalent of fool's gold. Wait a few weeks even months until the pre-market hype subsides before you decide if you want to invest.

what about doing a quick  smash and grab and get out while it still hot ........if it was hot that is ??? serious question
I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
Ah hear that Bono from U2, who was an investor with FB, make more money today than he ever made in his entire music career. And he is a big rock star. Insane.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:25:43 PM by ribbit »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »
If you have discretionary income, cast your faith to the wind!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

So, basically, the game was rigged. Big investors came in and made buys above the trade price to inflate the value. In in-person auctions, this is called "shilling." I took heat from some pundits when I said that investing in the Facebook IPO was a poor idea given the fact that most IPO's lose steam and value pretty quickly after opening on the market . . .

absolutely the game is rigged. the real money was made pre-IPO by 'accredited' investors, i.e. only open to people with $1,000,000 NAV. bono and other early pre-IPO investors were likely getting in at share prices of $1 or less. the game was to whip the the masses into a frenzy with 'ol talk of sky-high valuations on the first few days.  that way you have lots of suckers left holding the bag. now the next talk you hear will be how FB will be a failure so the shorts and warrants men could drive the price down and pick up more shares cheap. and everything will be kosher
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
 When Zucks sells off some of his shares and gives control to the investors, this stock go jump some. But that could be a while.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
Well I bought some of it... Only time will tell

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »
Ah hear that Bono from U2, who was an investor with FB, make more money today than he ever made in his entire music career. And he is a big rock star. Insane.

I don't knwo how much they does make touring and selling albums but supposedly a 100M investment is now worth 1B. Bono has been making it clear that he is the figurehead fro this investment group but it is not all his money. Big business has always been more profitable than people in the entertainment business.

However in Bono’s case, without the  music he wasn’t getting the seed money to invest and make 1000% profit, and without the fame the music bring he wasn’t gettinga chance to get in on the ground florr as an investor.

Well I got 5G to play with, I going brave and hopefully I get some of it... Just got an account with Charles Schwabb.

Airman I curious about your interste in FB. It have plenty IPOs and investment opportunities out there all the time. What is it about FB that has you so interested in it as an investment?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »
Airman I curious about your interste in FB. It have plenty IPOs and investment opportunities out there all the time. What is it about FB that has you so interested in it as an investment?

I woulda do it if I had the money and the price was lower and there was more VISIBLE optimism, but it look like d bulls stay in dey pen on dis one...............wouldna hold on to them for long though ...someting's up I can feel it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:44:54 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 08:09:25 AM »
facebook will fall down sooner or later and a new thing will take its place , remember Myspace?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
facebook will fall down sooner or later and a new thing will take its place , remember Myspace?

Remember the Dot.Com bubble... what exactly does FB produce?

Let me get this right. FB earns its revenue from those little ads that show up on the page. Except that 60% of people NEVER click on the ads and only a small percentage click on an ad occasionally. Nobody trusts FB with their CC or bank information so they don't buy through the site and a large percentage use an ad blocking software so they don't see the ads at all. GM pulls it's ads because they are "ineffective" and other advertisers are starting to question the value as well.

$38 a share? Sounds pretty steep to me. Google or Apple might be a better choice.

Google is coming out with a "mind reading software" that will taylor your searching and surfing to "suit" you! I would go with Google...

Zuck and Co., (Sept., 2010) reportedly and rumored to have made over 6 bill (from the stimulus) for selling the info of individuals who use their social network to the DHS/DOJ/&DOD. Your messages or post are no longer deleted, but archived or hidden and their servers are easily accessed by for the gov't to use.

Bono's 90mil went to 1.3 bil but this is the risk you take with venture capitalism. 

You never know now in business, Zuck is a friend of Obummer and thanks to Dubya, The Bushies, The Republican "There is no Establishment" Establishment, we have "too big to fail", a trend which this Administration has gladly continued....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:24:32 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
Well I bought some of it... Only time will tell

good luck with your investment friend. it will likely fall fairly swiftly in the short term. but it has good growth prospects over the long term.  when/if zuckerberg finally puts on his big boy pants and transforms fb into a revenue machine you will be a very happy man.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
I see fb leveling off at or around $12-$14.50 in the future..

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:17 AM »
I see fb leveling off at or around $12-$14.50 in the future..

doubt it will go that low, but i would take it at that price in the very short term. if they get it right it should be easily worth 10X that in a few years.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »

Let me get this right. FB earns its revenue from those little ads that show up on the page. Except that 60% of people NEVER click on the ads and only a small percentage click on an ad occasionally. Nobody trusts FB with their CC or bank information so they don't buy through the site and a large percentage use an ad blocking software so they don't see the ads at all. GM pulls it's ads because they are "ineffective" and other advertisers are starting to question the value as well.

Thats a bit of a myopic view of marketing analysis, you are thinking strictly in terms of click through as the determining factor, but think about what those little ads do for brand awareness.

Even if i never click on those ads, i can tell you that the most effective way for a company or brand to leave a visual impression on me is to put that ad in the corner of my facebook page, otherwise i would probably never know about it.

In terms of people not buying through the site, you can also look at that as a glass half full situation with plenty upside potential i.e. they can lock down the security and focus on building the e-commerce side to the platform much like an Amazon or Google, then earn revenue off sellers in addition to advertising.

I bought some shares, from a purely simplistic perspective i just think a company with that much of a market share that touches so many people the world over has alot of potential over the medium to long term. I feel like Facebook have plenty money to make once they focus on monetizing the business.

Time will tell i guess.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »

$38 a share? Sounds pretty steep to me. Google or Apple might be a better choice.

Google is coming out with a "mind reading software" that will taylor your searching and surfing to "suit" you! I would go with Google...

Zuck and Co., (Sept., 2010) reportedly and rumored to have made over 6 bill (from the stimulus) for selling the info of individuals who use their social network to the DHS/DOJ/&DOD. Your messages or post are no longer deleted, but archived or hidden and their servers are easily accessed by for the gov't to use.

Bono's 90mil went to 1.3 bil but this is the risk you take with venture capitalism. 

You never know now in business, Zuck is a friend of Obummer and thanks to Dubya, The Bushies, The Republican "There is no Establishment" Establishment, we have "too big to fail", a trend which this Administration has gladly continued....

Facebook's value is in the store of aggregate data it's currently sitting on, not from those click-thru ads.  Selling personal information and anything that would provide insight into consumer habits is Facebook's main selling point.  The value of that asset isn't likely to depreciate anytime soon.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »

The bulk of FB revenue is from advertising.

Facebook's value is in the store of aggregate data it's currently sitting on, not from those click-thru ads.  Selling personal information and anything that would provide insight into consumer habits is Facebook's main selling point.  The value of that asset isn't likely to depreciate anytime soon.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »

The bulk of FB revenue is from advertising.

Pay attention tun tun...

Now see if you can figure out how residual value of that asset relates to devaluation of Facebook stocks as Daft was talking about.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:56:43 PM by Bakes »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
To be fair, by the end of this week we should have a fair idea of how this stock will continue to trade. I however maintain that the stock was priced too high when it entered the market.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »
To be fair, by the end of this week we should have a fair idea of how this stock will continue to trade. I however maintain that the stock was priced too high when it entered the market.

me eh no big analyst I coulda tell yuh dat :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
what de jail ?! .... ah hearing de new investors are suing FB, targetting de initial investors.

1]; } ?>