March 28, 2024, 01:22:00 PM

Author Topic: Facebook IPO: $5 Billion Filing to Sell Stock in May  (Read 9135 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook IPO: $5 Billion Filing to Sell Stock in May
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
 :heehee:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
:heehee:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
something is surely up felt it in my bones
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
I'm hoping that the people who invested on here used funds they could afford to loose at least not count on for a very long time, seem like it will be a very rough ride in the short to medium term for FB
I pity the fool....

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
I was asking the question because I was genuinely trying to figure out if people are expecting FBs numbers to get much better, if they are looking at the brand and expecting it to do what Apple and Google did or if they are users of the product who have strong faith in it based on their experience of what it can do.

I just scanned the prospectus and I have to say that it does seem overpriced.

Based on its launch price, FB P/E ratio was over 100. The standard for a mature company is 20. Apple is 16, Google is 18 and them Oil companies in the single digits.

Now FB is obviously a company that people expect to grow and is in a unique market but its revenues would have to increase 4 times just to get within range of making the stock price in line with the market. Looking at their financials this is actually possible. Revenue increase 2X last year and almost 3 times the year before but…the trend is a downward trend. FB’s % revenue increases have gone down year on year as has their % increases in users.

Now if they do maintain a 2X revenue increase in each of the next two years by adding new streams they could easily become value but yuh still talking about buying a stock a couple years down the line for the same price as yuh could get it today.

They express some risks. One that jump out at me is an inability to make money off of mobile platforms. I don’t use FB, but is there something that stops them generating ad revenue on their phone apps? I ask because unless the app is inferior to the PC website I see more and more people making a shift away from PCs to mobile use of the web.

It also seems like the hype and publicity hurt the stock badly. As the next new thing the potential of FB is hardly a secret like Google or Apple (circa 2001) was. It seems that the time to get in on FB as a growth proposition was in 2006 and right now it is a stock to hold on to for a 5 years or more whereas they have less well publicised IPOs or other active stocks that could double your money in that time with the same amount of uncertainty.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
I was asking the question because I was genuinely trying to figure out if people are expecting FBs numbers to get much better, if they are looking at the brand and expecting it to do what Apple and Google did or if they are users of the product who have strong faith in it based on their experience of what it can do.

I just scanned the prospectus and I have to say that it does seem overpriced.

Based on its launch price, FB P/E ratio was over 100. The standard for a mature company is 20. Apple is 16, Google is 18 and them Oil companies in the single digits.

Now FB is obviously a company that people expect to grow and is in a unique market but its revenues would have to increase 4 times just to get within range of making the stock price in line with the market. Looking at their financials this is actually possible. Revenue increase 2X last year and almost 3 times the year before but…the trend is a downward trend. FB’s % revenue increases have gone down year on year as has their % increases in users.

Now if they do maintain a 2X revenue increase in each of the next two years by adding new streams they could easily become value but yuh still talking about buying a stock a couple years down the line for the same price as yuh could get it today.

They express some risks. One that jump out at me is an inability to make money off of mobile platforms. I don’t use FB, but is there something that stops them generating ad revenue on their phone apps? I ask because unless the app is inferior to the PC website I see more and more people making a shift away from PCs to mobile use of the web.

It also seems like the hype and publicity hurt the stock badly. As the next new thing the potential of FB is hardly a secret like Google or Apple (circa 2001) was. It seems that the time to get in on FB as a growth proposition was in 2006 and right now it is a stock to hold on to for a 5 years or more whereas they have less well publicised IPOs or other active stocks that could double your money in that time with the same amount of uncertainty.

This is the main thing (bolded) a few of us here at work could not get over.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »
This is the main thing (bolded) a few of us here at work could not get over.

I look at it again and maybe it is near-sighted to focus on revenue. As Bakes said the value is in the huge membership. I see other stocks valued on their subscriber base too like Netflix and Sirius, although these are services with paid subscribers.

And the stock is holding at $31 so it has found its level. It probably was just that 20% margin that was there for the insiders to make a little extra. Still a high P/E but if investors arte the stock based on its potential the value is what it is.

Also Google’s revenue at IPO was much less than FB and its P/E ratio was in the 60s.

Like Google, FB has a strong brand and a huge of web presence. Is facebook like the old AOL where you could go there and do spend most of your time on the web? I imagine that if they could licence music television and movies so you could get all your entertainment from a FB app on your TV or the FB site on the internet. The advantage of the app being that it integrates it with your FB features like updates, what friends ding, pictures, face-chat etc.

Also FB user base in the US and Canada is only 200M. The rest of that 800M is Europe and energing markets. Those markets like India could show the most % growth over time and be a cash cow for FB.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:15 AM »
Why not all this insightful dialogue BEFORE the IPO??  ::)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
Why not all this insightful dialogue BEFORE the IPO??  ::)

I'll be honest FB is not on my radar, which is why I was surprised at all the buzz on the stock. I only take a look at the thread after the IPO.

Plenty people dogging the IPO so I decide to look at the prospectus and see what the positives and negatives are.

Looking at it now, if people were expecting it to be a good investment at 38, it might be worth investing in at 31, especially if yuh have money to sit for a long time.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I end up selling all the shares I bought Monday. When I saw the words investigation, I was not prepared to play anymore. If only I could get my girl to sell, she so damn stubborn!! Lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
I end up selling all the shares I bought Monday. When I saw the words investigation, I was not prepared to play anymore. If only I could get my girl to sell, she so damn stubborn!! Lol

I think yuh pull de trigger too quick... prime reason why they shouldn't let allyuh play on E*Trade  :D

I'll never forget 3 1/2 yrs ago Lehman Brothers was selling at $33 a share Friday evening and I wanted to buy some short (not much, about 100 or so), but couldn't get the trade to go thru before market close.  Monday morning I wake up bright and early and stock open at $27. I blue mad 'cause dai'z $600 ah miss out on right dey.  Next thing ah say "it will drop more, lemmih still short some" only to find out the damn SEC placed a moratorium on short sales of Lehman Brothers stock. Stock end up closing at $3 a share that Monday evening.  Woulda be a nice $3,000 I coulda have :(

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

I think yuh pull de trigger too quick... prime reason why they shouldn't let allyuh play on E*Trade  :D

I'll never forget 3 1/2 yrs ago Lehman Brothers was selling at $33 a share Friday evening and I wanted to buy some short (not much, about 100 or so), but couldn't get the trade to go thru before market close.  Monday morning I wake up bright and early and stock open at $27. I blue mad 'cause dai'z $600 ah miss out on right dey.  Next thing ah say "it will drop more, lemmih still short some" only to find out the damn SEC placed a moratorium on short sales of Lehman Brothers stock. Stock end up closing at $3 a share that Monday evening.  Woulda be a nice $3,000 I coulda have :(
I'm new to it, so I will take this as a lesson learned and hope my girl have more luck with this stock. I'm on a military op right now, so I'll wait till I get back to do some research before investing again.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 09:20:16 PM »
I'm new to it, so I will take this as a lesson learned and hope my girl have more luck with this stock. I'm on a military op right now, so I'll wait till I get back to do some research before investing again.

Me eh no maverick investor neither, I mess around on Ameritrade and made ah li'l bit ah pocket change back in the day before the market crash.  I always had better use fuh mih money since then.... just last month they send mih ah notice saying they shutting dong de account because of inactivity.  Only reason ah say yuh pull de trigger too soon... I woulda keep de stocks and hold onto it fuh ah few years... I think the value will increase (as they figure out how to turn the info they have into money) over time, rather than decrease.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:22:29 PM by Bakes »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »

Me eh no maverick investor neither, I mess around on Ameritrade and made ah li'l bit ah pocket change back in the day before the market crash.  I always had better use fuh mih money since then.... just last month they send mih ah notice saying they shutting dong de account because of inactivity.  Only reason ah say yuh pull de trigger too soon... I woulda keep de stocks and hold onto it fuh ah few years... I think the value will increase (as they figure out how to turn the info they have into money) over time, rather than decrease.

bakes, ah telling yuh that is not how this game works. information depreciates over time. FB has had 5 years to make good on the info they have. truth is it is not easy to monetize this kind of info.

there is already a precedent - check gmail. google has been sitting on terabytes of personal emails and the best revenue stream they came up with is ad revenue. and google actually has industry leading analysis techniques which FB doh have.

fact is, a free membership base doh translate to money. like a padnah tell me, only a few companies figure out how to make money from the internet. ebay was one and paypal was the other. zynga might be a third, selling virtual products to suckersgamers. FB can try to be a middle man and skim something off of transactions or they can put up ads.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »

Based on the subsequent course of developments, I thought the personal element to this story was worth sharing.

Zuckerberg To Leave Harvard Indefinitely
Looking for employees, facebook.com creator visits campus
By Sam Teller, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER
Published: Tuesday, November 01, 2005

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2005/11/1/zuckerberg-to-leave-harvard-indefinitely-mark/

Mark E. Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of facebook.com, dropped in for some on-campus recruiting and announced he would be dropping out of Harvard indefinitely yesterday afternoon.

Following in the footsteps of Microsoft tycoon and former Harvard student Bill Gates, Zuckerberg has chosen computers over campus life.

“I’m not coming back,” he said. Facebook.com spokesman Chris R. Hughes ’06 left open the possibility that Zuckerberg might return several years down the road.

Zuckerberg, formerly of the Class of 2006, will forego a Harvard degree to run facebook.com, the second largest online social networking site and the 10th most-trafficked site on the Internet, according to Hughes.

Zuckerberg spent the morning meeting with computer science professors for help recruiting engineers straight out of college.

“The professors can identify who the smart students are,” he said, adding that he would prefer to hire younger engineers rather than programming veterans. “The job lends itself to people with raw intelligence rather than industry experience. And if you’re coming out of college, you have a really good idea of what facebook is.”

Zuckerberg said he has made similar recruiting trips to Stanford and Berkeley. He will recruit at MIT today before heading back to facebook.com’s headquarters in Palo Alto, Calif.

He said working for a startup company like facebook.com should be considered a viable alternative to consulting or investment banking, two of the most popular career paths for Harvard grads.

“A lot of people know facebook as a site, but not many think of it as a cool company to work for,” he said.

But students expecting a non-stop party in lieu of hard work may be disappointed. Zuckerberg characterized his company as “humble,” and added that his salary is just $65,000 per year.

Employees will also receive facebook.com stock.

Zuckerberg declined to comment on how much the company is worth, saying only that its estimated value is “a lot.” This summer, MySpace, the largest online social networking site, sold for $580 million.

Zuckerberg concluded his round of interviews by meeting with two sophomore programmers who discussed the addition of a music and band promotion feature to the site.

One of those two students said facebook.com’s widespread appeal makes it an attractive company to work for.

“You got the brand name going,” Jonathan A. Hyman ’08 told Zuckerberg. “It’s a verb, man!”

After those meetings, Zuckerberg, dressed inconspicuously in an orange Puma sweatshirt, jeans, and Adidas sandals, took time to chat with friends and potential employees.

“Well, we’ll just sit,” he said, plopping down on the pavement outside the revolving doors with his friend and former facebook.com employee Andrew K. McCollum ’06-’07.

“Hey Priscilla, do you want a job at the facebook?” Zuckerberg asked a passing friend.

“I’d love a job at facebook,” Priscilla Chan ’07 responded, offering him a Twizzler.

+++                                                               +++                                                          +++

And, of course he married Priscilla a few days ago.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:45:22 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
bakes, ah telling yuh that is not how this game works. information depreciates over time. FB has had 5 years to make good on the info they have. truth is it is not easy to monetize this kind of info.

there is already a precedent - check gmail. google has been sitting on terabytes of personal emails and the best revenue stream they came up with is ad revenue. and google actually has industry leading analysis techniques which FB doh have.

fact is, a free membership base doh translate to money. like a padnah tell me, only a few companies figure out how to make money from the internet. ebay was one and paypal was the other. zynga might be a third, selling virtual products to suckersgamers. FB can try to be a middle man and skim something off of transactions or they can put up ads.

Me eh no financial guru so ultimately I could be wrong... however I really have to laugh at your gmail analogy.  GMAIL??  When Google doh even have access to the data contained in the email?  Fella we talking about a data trove about consumer habits that FB currently possesses.  Members likes, dislikes, travel preferences, spending habits, profession, location.... tons of stuff that marketers have an keen interest in.  This is precisely the type of information that can be used to tailor products and services to consumers.

Google has nothing like this... which is why they've come up with G+ to try and mimic what FB does.  Gmail is by no means an appropriate comparison, all Google does with emails parse them with word recognition software to tailor third party ads to the owner of the account.  The Google Sense advertisers doh know you from Adam, their ad "targets" you anonymously.  This is a fully automated process that is nowhere similar to the direct marketing opportunities targeting specific individuals as offered by FB's data trove.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »

Me eh no financial guru so ultimately I could be wrong... however I really have to laugh at your gmail analogy.  GMAIL??  When Google doh even have access to the data contained in the email?  Fella we talking about a data trove about consumer habits that FB currently possesses.  Members likes, dislikes, travel preferences, spending habits, profession, location.... tons of stuff that marketers have an keen interest in.  This is precisely the type of information that can be used to tailor products and services to consumers.

Google has nothing like this... which is why they've come up with G+ to try and mimic what FB does.  Gmail is by no means an appropriate comparison, all Google does with emails parse them with word recognition software to tailor third party ads to the owner of the account.  The Google Sense advertisers doh know you from Adam, their ad "targets" you anonymously.  This is a fully automated process that is nowhere similar to the direct marketing opportunities targeting specific individuals as offered by FB's data trove.

wdf ?! google own gmail, run and maintain the servers, have context-specific ads served up in the column next to the email but "they doh have access to the data in the email"??!? steups. educate yuhself a little before yuh talk.

...And FB drop below $30 per share.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
Ribbit actually Bakes is correct!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Ribbit actually Bakes is correct!

DT, you are wrong. i can tell you first hand you are wrong.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
wdf ?! google own gmail, run and maintain the servers, have context-specific ads served up in the column next to the email but "they doh have access to the data in the email"??!? steups. educate yuhself a little before yuh talk.

So Google does read we email and them?  Anything else de voices telling yuh?  The funniest part in all ah dis, bless yuh heart... is that yuh actually believe yuh making sense.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
Ribbit- (I'm vacationing, so sorry for the delayed response)

You may be correct, but from what I have read from Google is that they siphon information from IP (header & packets). It's been so long since I've done Internet Protocol, but I think you can get a lot of info about a person by dissecting that information, without sweeping the actual content of the email. Couple that with your surfing and use of google as a search engine, your page will be filled with targeted tailored emails. Again you may be right and I'm not looking for an argument, just that my wife would bring me another bitter lemon with gin.

Why I did not invest in FB.

-Problems with production & sales of PC @ HP, more people going mobile.
-People at FB admitting before going public that their ads on Mobile are not doing as well as they thought it would.
-GM pulling it's ads from FB because the ROI was poor.
-FB not planning adequately to transistion into the Mobile Market.
-Way Way Way too overpriced to enter the market.
-40% of accounts are spammers.
-My broker saying NO!
-Thanks to Obummer, Pelosi and Reid since 2006, americans have lost a lot of Private Equity to support an IPO of this nature. Less people investing in the Market. Futures in Foreign lands are more and more profitable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:56:34 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 05:48:08 AM »

So Google does read we email and them? Anything else de voices telling yuh?  The funniest part in all ah dis, bless yuh heart... is that yuh actually believe yuh making sense.

Not sure if the correct term is 'read', but not sure how else to call it.

Google, youtube, FB..everyone (but google has mastered it), runs an algorithm (changes every month or 2 to keep people like me (internet marketer) on our toes so we can't beat it) that scans your gmail, youtube watching habits and surfing habits. This is why they can tailor ads that appear when you surf, watch videos and check your email. You are tracked (probably not by name specific) but you'll be amazed at what people like gmail know about you and your habits.

With my partnership with youtube I have a ton of stats on every video viewer who lands on my channel..  broken down to age, sex, location,  what videos he/she watched, preferences, how long they viewed videos/video, where they stopped watching .. info they collected when you created that youtube acc, that gmail acc..etc. How else could they provide, age,, gender etc to me?

This is not specific to any comments you made Bakes, but i'm speaking in general now to some things people spoke about in this thread.

Re: Facebook.

I won't pretend to know anything about investing, but online marketing and trends etc I know.. I stared working from home doing this online thing about 15yrs ago, when most people didn't even own a pc.

The kids are coming off facebook and have now latched onto Twitter and sadly they will get their hands on pinterest soon enough. the 35+ crowd are the ones on FB now and they have incredible buying power... not sure what FB is going to do with this. GM are idiots .. they simply didn't have the skills to properly work FB and get results. Spending millions does not guarantee success. The treated the FB campaign as TV and print media and didn't really take the time to connect and build relationships. I've been advertising on FB for 3 yrs now and my conversions are higher than advertising with google adwords (the ads you see on google search, youtube videos and within your gmail). Much cheaper and better roi. I've also advertised with Yahoo and MSN.

Draft is right, the BIGGEST growth is the mobile world. Take youtube as an example.. over 33% of all videos watched are done via a mobile device, two years ago that was less than 5%. However everyone is having a terrible time creating a delivery method which works. one that's non intrusive, creates an algorithm which will deliver relevant ads to the phone user and not slow down the load time on pages the user is trying to access. You'd think that the guys with the real money would have perfected it by now, but they (Google) is having a difficult time at it. The same can be said about FB and Apple. However Apple does have a working version of a mobile advertising platform which I tested on an app about 2 yrs back, but though it functions well, they (apple) can't convince advertisers to come on board. If FB can perfect the mobile ad delivery method I know they've been working on, it would do well as those people I mentioned above who have that buying power also access their FB pages with their mobile devices... and these are people who 'click' on anything shiny!

I recently started to test a mobile ad delivery company called Tapit, from down under and their system works well, but the payoff (for publishers) is very small as they too can't convince advertisers to come on board.

I strongly believe that the real money in FB is the data they have stored on users and the apps which runs off their platform. App and game developers pay a mint to FB to have their stuff on there. Additionally, the revenues from their advertising platform is solid and when they do perfect their mobile ad delivery, it will generate a ton of income for them. That said.. FB is only a success until the next thing comes around.. soon.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
Google, youtube, FB..everyone (but google has mastered it), runs an algorithm (changes every month or 2 to keep people like me (internet marketer) on our toes so we can't beat it) that scans your gmail, youtube watching habits and surfing habits. This is why they can tailor ads that appear when you surf, watch videos and check your email. You are tracked (probably not by name specific) but you'll be amazed at what people like gmail know about you and your habits.

Them algorithms can't be too accurate. Every time one of them ads pop up for me is offering me a woman to hook up with in the next town. How that related to my surfing habits is beyond me.

Seriously though I think that google does have similar access to information from mail, browsing, purchasing. They have profiles based on internet usage patterns similar to facebook. The advantage facebook has is the actual names. The patterns and associations of people based on their networks also allows facebook to refine and target better than google in theory and, I guess, the like/dislike is a form of direct survey that should be more powerful than passive measurements like internet usage pattern.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 07:23:09 AM »

Them algorithms can't be too accurate. Every time one of them ads pop up for me is offering me a woman to hook up with in the next town. How that related to my surfing habits is beyond me.

Remember that IP address and not machine (computer) is key here. See who else sharing your ISP and what they're looking for. Another thing with the email.. the language (text/keywords) used in emails can help trigger ads. For example.. if I were to go to YT and see what videos are recommended to me you'll see a ton of teenage related stuff.. my daughters may have accessed this on their machines, so using the same IP address it automatically thinks it's one of them. Well, until I actually log into my YT acc.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
Very engaging interview by Maria Bartiromo (CNBC) with NASDAQ CEO Bob Greifeld re: the IPO ... Rigorous questioning by MB. Should be available online shortly.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
well, ah win a bet on FB stock price as it fell below $20.

ha ha - jumbie, jdb, good luck trying educate dat yute.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »
Facebook: Peter Thiel cashes in stake for $396m

One of Facebook's earliest backers has sold most of his stake in the social network, making a substantial profit.

Peter Thiel, a venture capitalist and Paypal co-founder, cashed in 20.1 million shares, raising $395.8m (£251m) last week, official filings state.

Last week was the first time since Facebook's float that early backers could cash in their shares.

The value of Facebook shares have fallen sharply since their debut two months ago.

Mr Thiel had already sold shares worth more than $640m during the flotation, taking his total profit to more than $1bn.

Last week, Facebook released 271.1 million shares as the first so-called "lock-up" stopping early investors and employees selling their shares expired.

Another 1.44 billion shares, owned by early investors and Facebook staff, are set to be freed up by the end of November as five additional lock-ups expire.

Facebook Inc. three month chart
price    change    %
19.74    -
   -

Shares in the social network last night closed at $20.01, almost half the $38 that they floated at in May.

Despite the shares' dramatic fall, Mr Thiel, who owned around 10% of the firm thanks to his $500,000 investment in 2004, sold his shares for an average of $19.73.

Mr Thiel, who has sold 80% of his holding, according to his filing with US regulator, the Securities and Exchange Commission, still owns around 7 million shares.

Filings from venture capital firm Accel Partners, another early Facebook investor, indicated that it distributed over 50 million shares to its limited partners after the lock-up expired. It is not clear, however, whether the partners then sold the shares.

Data from financial information firm Markit indicates that the number of investors betting on the shares to fall further - so-called short interest - in Facebook is now at record levels.

According to Markit, 15.9% of the shares available to trade in the company are now being held by investors betting on a further share price fall.

"This is the highest it has been since Facebook floated," said Simon Colvin at Markit.

"It's not just over the past couple of days since the lock-up expired, but reflects a longer term negative sentiment."
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>