March 28, 2024, 09:01:28 AM

Author Topic: ite car talk time again  (Read 8279 times)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
ite car talk time again
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
Time to lease again. I doh buy cars.

I had a Subaru Legacy and it was the WERSE-IST thing EVER!! :banginghead:
At the end of the lease I was SO blasted fed up, I jes hand them the key, buss a steupse and walked out.
So for now I am driving the mister car until I get the bad taste out meh mout.

so...go back in a Subaru? They have a sweet lil summ summ called the BRZ
or
the Hyundai Veloster?
The car I really want, I can't afford so ah does hush meh trap.
talk and gimme yuh advice.
 :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ite car talk time again
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
I think yuh juss throwing money away leasing cars... but dai'z just me.

I'm really impressed by what Hyundai has been offering of late... the Elantra is a nice li'l car, had one for a week in St. Thomas recently and bare use half ah tank ah dey $5 dollars a gallon gas.  Sweet to drive too.

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »
The veloster is a nice car, but wait until the turbo comes out in Summer..too slugglish

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:01 AM »
Bakes, I feel the opposite. Buying a car then watching it age and seeing my mechanic more than my mister...nah.
The Elantra is too tame for me.
We bought a Hyundai Accent for my son and a Ranger for hauling yard stuff and those cars are forever at the shop.
I want to get in a new car, drive it, hand it back and get another new car every few years. To me, cars are no longer an investment as they used to be.

TT, yes, they were telling me about the turbo and yes, I have a lead foot.  ;D I want to see it before I make the leap.
I also noted the Subaru BRZ is a rear wheel drive. Ent dais trouble in the winter?

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »
Yep, following my escape blowing a transfer case on me a couple of weeks ago I'm now in the market for a new ride (mind you, I killing this car @ 160,000 KM and counting)
Anyone looking @ mid suv's?  I like the escape but ford building so much sh*t lately that I have to look else where.  I'm also stuck between buying or leasing.  Can anyone say which one is better in the long term?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
Bakes, I feel the opposite. Buying a car then watching it age and seeing my mechanic more than my mister...nah.
We bought a Hyundai Accent for my son and a Ranger for hauling yard stuff and those cars are forever at the shop.
I want to get in a new car, drive it, hand it back and get another new car every few years. To me, cars are no longer an investment as they used to be.

TT, yes, they were telling me about the turbo and yes, I have a lead foot.  ;D I want to see it before I make the leap.
I also noted the Subaru BRZ is a rear wheel drive. Ent dais trouble in the winter?

If you don't mind a sedan...
Sonata is a nice ride if elantra too tame...Sonata handling is good and has some power
I test drove both but Sonata win that long time. sleek look, tons of features, great fuel consumption
you get a real good car for the value.  #3 sedan in its class behind the fusion (the hybrid version) and accord (boring car, but cyah beat a good honda) Not to mention if you in Toronto iz 0% financing...no point leasing with that going on cuz you getting a good warranty also
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:21:15 AM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Nah I will lease, that is not at question at all. The question is, what to lease.
Sonata looks very nice but it also looks like a sane car. The kind of car the President of the PTA might drive.
However, I have a little insanity (doh ack surprise nuh) and love a sharp, unusual look to my car. The Veloster supplies the unusual design as does the BRZ. Like them small and fast.  :D
Anything else like that out there?

Mr. Fix it. We had a Tribeca and loved it. But found belatedly, that it didn't have the power for its size. I'm told the new Tribeca does. Take a look at a Forester. Subaru offers good quality cars while still remaining affordable. The Outback is another good one.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

Ah did warn yuh bout da ranger yuh know

Anyway is clear you want ah overly reliable car…so forget all dem pretty ting buy a Toyota corolla  and ease yuh mind from mechanics

mr fix,Leasing use to be advantageous as yuh use put ah small downpayment, keep yuh money,, drive ah new car anD save de ress for yuh buyout residual or d/p on yuh new lease…but like PT say..so many dealers offerin zero down AND zero percent financing,,leasin eh make no sense (unless of course yuh is ah self employed authoress who does write off all she expnses drivin through the bush hustling she novel,in which case dem kinda people could afford used maybach)
ah buy de book btw...but honestly eh open it yet

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
Yep, following my escape blowing a transfer case on me a couple of weeks ago I'm now in the market for a new ride (mind you, I killing this car @ 160,000 KM and counting)
Anyone looking @ mid suv's?  I like the escape but ford building so much sh*t lately that I have to look else where.  I'm also stuck between buying or leasing.  Can anyone say which one is better in the long term?

Well me eh no financial expert, but most I read and the li'l bit ah common sense I have tell mih that buying better.  A lease is just what it is, ah long term rental.  Unlike your own car, you have no equity in the vehicle, yet you still responsible for everything else.  If yuh break it, yuh have to fix it, and to prevent it from breaking YOU is de one have to pay for maintenance and upkeep.  You also have to pay insurance, registration and all ah dat just as if it was yours, there are usually caps on how many miles per year you can drive it... and at the end of the lease you have to give it back with nothing but yuh memories of driving it in return.

Best bet is the CPO route, that way you don't have to take that initial depreciation hit as soon as you leave the lot... or at least it won't be as big as if you bought new.  Ownership gives you everything leasing offers, except perhaps a lower monthly payment and easy separation should you sour on the car.  But in the end it may just come down to personal preference... I certainly understand the allure of a new car every number of years.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »
The leases we've had, I did not pay a cent for probems. The slightest tick or rattle, I took it back, they fixed it and I drove away.
I paid for my oil changes. That's it. The mileage allowance was great. And I've taken it on some long runs often. The good thing is though, I'm only 5 miles away from work, so it was a no-brainer. I kinda liked handing it back and walking away. I don't get attached to cars.

If it were the way you described, then of course. But it wasn't.  ;D

Dutts, the Ranger is the work horse, but ohgawdoh, it's a pain. Doh like Toyota. Reliabilty is great eh but I'd like sharp looking too.
Glad yuh geh de book but go be gladder when yuh read it..dais why ah write it... ;D
It will be discussed on Facebook at month-end on See Nen Nen News Book Club. If you're a facebooker, come troo.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
The leases we've had, I did not pay a cent for probems. The slightest tick or rattle, I took it back, they fixed it and I drove away.
I paid for my oil changes. That's it. The mileage allowance was great. And I've taken it on some long runs often. The good thing is though, I'm only 5 miles away from work, so it was a no-brainer. I kinda liked handing it back and walking away. I don't get attached to cars.

Yeah what you describe is different from what I am more familiar with... but then again, I haven't really looked at the issue the past 4-5 years or so, so understandably things might be different now.  I real surprised that you didn't have to pay for maintenance though, because that to me was the part that was the biggest issue.

Here are a couple articles that discuss it Mr. Fix It:

http://www.smartmoney.com/calculator/autos/buy-or-lease-a-car-1302833645461/

People who lease their vehicles, on the other hand, can expect to be charged for every nick, tear or spill at the end of the lease. The cost of these repairs will be deducted from the security deposit.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-25/living/aa.lease.buy.car_1_car-leasing-lease-inception-monthly-lease-payments?_s=PM:LIVING

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=lease&subject=buy_lease&story=buyLease
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:49:35 PM by Bakes »

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

Yeah what you describe is different from what I am more familiar with... but then again, I haven't really looked at the issue the past 4-5 years or so, so understandably things might be different now.  I real surprised that you didn't have to pay for maintenance though, because that to me was the part that was the biggest issue.

Here are a couple articles that discuss it Mr. Fix It:

http://www.smartmoney.com/calculator/autos/buy-or-lease-a-car-1302833645461/

People who lease their vehicles, on the other hand, can expect to be charged for every nick, tear or spill at the end of the lease. The cost of these repairs will be deducted from the security deposit.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-25/living/aa.lease.buy.car_1_car-leasing-lease-inception-monthly-lease-payments?_s=PM:LIVING

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=lease&subject=buy_lease&story=buyLease

Yes man, I was never really a lease kinda guy but I wanted to know if that was even an option.  I'm looking into high end this time, something like the BMW X3.  Wandering if it would be better to buy in the US and pay the taxes when I cross de border.  As it stands a CPO with 75000 to 90000 km still costing around $30000 and I'm sure I can find a deal for less

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 02:28:17 PM »
Leasing a car is a matter of preference as someone mentioned earlier. Also depends on what you want out of it at the end.
The high end cars, of course, cost a lot to lease. A new Merck or Audi can run about $600. A new Beemer (depending on the class), can run the same. The car I really like costs almost $1,000 to lease, t'would be silly to lease since Dutty only buy one book. I can't afford it.
Different dealers offer different deals on purchasing and leasing. You need to do your homework. Our Subaru dealer never even looked at the cars we brought back. One had a little scratch where my daughter and her bike got too close. It wasn't deep of course. They raised no issues at all.
I've heard other leasors go over the car with a magnifying glass and charge you out the wazoo if it has even the suspicion of a nick.
We also built a relationship with the Subaru place and have leased from them for years. It was their leasing stance that encouraged us in the first place. We've just  leased a VW CC for the mister (now THAT is a man's car - nuff testosterone) but I can't tell you what that dealer may do. At the end of that lease I may come back in here with my dress over my head bawling for murder, who knows.
Having a prior relationship is a good thing though.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
Leasing a car is a matter of preference as someone mentioned earlier. Also depends on what you want out of it at the end.
The high end cars, of course, cost a lot to lease. A new Merck or Audi can run about $600. A new Beemer (depending on the class), can run the same. The car I really like costs almost $1,000 to lease, t'would be silly to lease since Dutty only buy one book. I can't afford it.
Different dealers offer different deals on purchasing and leasing. You need to do your homework. Our Subaru dealer never even looked at the cars we brought back. One had a little scratch where my daughter and her bike got too close. It wasn't deep of course. They raised no issues at all.
I've heard other leasors go over the car with a magnifying glass and charge you out the wazoo if it has even the suspicion of a nick.
We also built a relationship with the Subaru place and have leased from them for years. It was their leasing stance that encouraged us in the first place. We've just  leased a VW CC for the mister (now THAT is a man's car - nuff testosterone) but I can't tell you what that dealer may do. At the end of that lease I may come back in here with my dress over my head bawling for murder, who knows.
Having a prior relationship is a good thing though.

Yeah to this end, one of the articles I linked to suggested leasing with a larger company who may be more interested in doing repeat business with you... they might be more flexible on certain things.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
Glad yuh geh de book but go be gladder when yuh read it..dais why ah write it... ;D
It will be discussed on Facebook at month-end on See Nen Nen News Book Club. If you're a facebooker, come troo.

But wait.....I eh get my book yet.... :thinking: :thinking:  Its on Amazon already??  Where to get it??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
 :rotfl:
Brownsugar, it has been on Amazon since February! I posted it here somewhere. Had a thread all about the book. Ent you on my Facebook too?

The name of the book is "Across From Lapeyrouse"
It is available:
on KINDLE (www.amazon.com)
paperback on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles
NOOK (www.BarnesAndNoble.com)

if you want it personally autographed, you can get it on my website at www.CommessUniversity.com

A couple bookstores in Trinidad have it also:
Paper Based Bookshop in the Normandie Hotel
Reader's Bookshop in St. James.

If you get it in time, come join the bacchanal discussion on Facebook on See Nen Nen News Book Club.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 05:12:15 AM »
Well girl I remember getting some emails and thing and ah think I remember reading one that mentioned a book launch here in Trinidad.....and is like I was waiting on dat..... :-[

Ah goh organise by next weekend.....on the advent of pay day..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »
Come troo!

The T&T launch is right after carnival 2k13 at NALIS. Stay tuned.  :beermug:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
y'know if yuh dumb down yuh writin style and do a fifty shades of grey type a book...yuh could lease a bentley arnage without blinking
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
y'know if yuh dumb down yuh writin style and do a fifty shades of grey type a book...yuh could lease a bentley arnage without blinking

I tried dumbing down a few times. And sometimes I WAS dumb and didn't have to try.  :D
I've been accused of "trying a ting" when I was caught dumbing down. A professor once accused me of trying to make him look stupid when I pretended I didn't catch what he said. Another woman cuss me from a to z...so, ah give up and now I just stay real. Who like it, nice, Who doh like it, nice.
I've never read Shades of Grey so can't really comment. I've read some "best sellers" and wondered how come? I've read some back-of-the-shelf books and wondered why they weren't bestsellers.
Another part of the problem is that since I write with a huge Caribbean flavour, it doesn't appeal to the large publishers. It's why I created my own independent publishing company. We have a LOT of talent out there. I help them self publish.
The most painful part of what I do is when I hear a Trinidadian bookseller tell me "Trinis don't read".  ???  :bs:
yet, we line up to buy Harry Potter but would ask a local author to give we a bligh or family pricing on their book.  ::)

but...I shall struggle on...s'what I do. The Bentley will have to wait.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
Did anyone look into buying in the US and importing it to CA?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »

I did about 10 years ago...but that was when the us dollar was  real strong

Long story short, it wasnt worth it unless the car is very special...and then yuh does have to fight up to get warranty honoured
Now that we practically on par per dollar, might be worth another look.
There are companies that do the whole process for you.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

I did about 10 years ago...but that was when the us dollar was  real strong

Long story short, it wasnt worth it unless the car is very special...and then yuh does have to fight up to get warranty honoured
Now that we practically on par per dollar, might be worth another look.
There are companies that do the whole process for you.

Yeah looking at it, Toyota/Lexus/BMW/ will honour the warranty even in Mex.(used and not new)  Reading up on the process now and it seems like a good deal if you get something nice

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 06:02:29 PM »
Dutty whey you?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17:36 AM »
 :o  Dem books mus be REAL sellin in downtown beijing

If yuh playin at dat level yuh might as well go big and get de one with the supercharger, yuh does only live once

not my cup of tea tho,as the company that own that brand is pure Tata ;)....i more inclined to walk across the street and try on someting in ah size M3 or M5

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
boy ah wish.
Since I small I wanted a Jag eh, the ticket on the window say $88K, but I know the car look sweet but does ride wrongy-tongy after two trips to the grocree. Dem ting not in my reach. Have to sell more than 2 book.
we were across the street looking at a 2010 B'mer when I spot the black Jag and nearly get lick down to run across and take a snap fuh yuh.
Since the talk start I have test driven a Subaru BRZ - sweet lil ride but no back seat. It might to be a lease option because it en look like it would last longer than the Red House fire.
Drove a Hyundai Velostar, again, same ting, sweet ride as it new but it en look wholesome.
Now looking at a Jetta and one other but taking my sweet time.
I like car shopping and the mister like no better joke. He have me looking at cars I never even hear bout. Nissan have something called a JIVE. Every see it? Sweet rear and in front look like somebody mash it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:13:45 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »
Nissan spell de word JOKE with ah U

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
Dutty, Tata have a APB out on you.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
alright, so we are getting closer to the decision.
Looks like a purchase not a lease. The mister got himself a lease, so two leases makes no sense.
Waiting on the dealer to get his act together and write down a price that we can't refuse. Will hopefully post a shot of the new chariot soon.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »
Allyuh have real bank we, my car is over 30 years old.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>