March 28, 2024, 12:15:53 PM

Author Topic: Men's U-17 Thread  (Read 89755 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Men's U-17 Thread
« Reply #780 on: February 08, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »
Jamaican Coach laments lack of offensive sharpness even as U-17 Boyz sweep Trinidad and Tobago
By Sherdon Cowan (Jamaica Observer)

Though their goalscoring attributes were again lacking, Head Coach Merron Gordon believes his Under-17 Reggae Boyz have shown enough potential across their two friendly games against Trinidad and Tobago to prove competitive at the upcoming Concacaf Championship in Guatemala.

Gordon's views came shortly after the young Reggae Boyz again bettered their Caribbean neighbours 1-0 win courtesy of Adrian Reid's fourth-minute penalty at St Elizabeth Technical High School Sports Complex here on Tuesday.

They also won Saturday's opening contest by a similar scoreline at Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex.

While they dominated proceedings for most of the contest after Reid converted the 12-yard kick, the Jamaicans were found wanting in the final third, as they squandered a few chances, some of which were from point-blank range.

Orane Watson in the 40th, Dylan John in the 52nd and Dustin Cohen in the 56th were the guilty players.

Their profligacy allowed the young soca warriors to grow into the game, but they too failed to make the most of their half chances.

Still, Gordon expressed pleasure with the intent shown by his team, which he believes is something to build on, particularly from a defensive perspective.

"A win is important; you know at this age sometimes the players are very inconsistent, but I think defensively we are still sound. I think we can be a little sharper in the final third, I don't know if it's jitters, but it's something that we need to build on little by little because sometimes you can really grow in a tournament and really do well," Gordon told journalists in his post-game assessment.

"We are not finding the goal as much as we would like, but we won the game which is also important because one goal is still a win. Yes, we want to score more goals because we created a lot of opportunities but such is football. The most important thing is that they scored a goal and then they really stuck to the task and defend it," he added.

Despite the 2-0 aggregate defeat, Trinidad and Tobago's Head Coach Shaun Cooper also took heart from his team's display.

"I think it was a good exercise for us. This is our fourth game so we are going forward steadily. Today's game was a little different from the last game; I think we had a number of chances and if we had shown a little more purpose it would have been different, but a very good exercise," Cooper said.

Both Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago enter the Concacaf Championship in Guatemala vying for qualification to this year's FIFA Under-17 Men's World Cup in Peru.

The Jamaicans are scheduled to get their qualifying campaign started on February 12 against Cuba in Group C. Their next slated challenge is against Guadeloupe two days later, before facing Costa Rica on February 16. T&T are set to clash with United States, Canada, and Barbados in Group F.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 10, 2023, 11:44:26 AM »
The uk player   has not received is passport yet the minister sign yet
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 10, 2023, 02:23:09 PM »
Cardines gets Trinidad and Tobago passport
TTFA Media

We are pleased to reveal that Men’s National U-17 Player Rio Cardines obtained his Trinidad and Tobago Passport on Friday February 10th, 2023 and is now eligible to represent this country in International Football.

Rio. will now fly out along with team manager Christo Gouveia to join the rest of the Team in Antigua, Guatemala and will arrive there on Saturday morning for the Concacaf Men’s U-17 Championship.

Rio’s grandfather Patrick Cardines and his grandmother are both Trinidad and Tobago-born. Rio, who is attached to English club Crystal Palace, was born in Stevenage, England.

“I’m delighted to have finally obtained my Trinidad and Tobago passport. It’s been my dream as a kid to play football for Trinidad and Tobago and hopefully now I can realise this ambition and go on to make a valuable contribution for many years to come,” Rio said.

The TTFA wishes to express its gratitude to the Minister of National Security,the Honourable Fitzgerald Hinds and his Ministry, the Ministry of Legal Affairs and the Mayor of Port of Spain Mr. Joel Martinez for their assistance and efforts during the process of securing Rio’s passport.

It is our hope that Rio’s success in obtaining his passport will foster an environment that facilitates similarly talented players of Trinidad and Tobago descent being able to represent the various National Teams.

Trinidad and Tobago takes on Canada on Saturday from 6pm TT at the Estadio Pensativo and that match will be aired live on FS2. T&T then takes on United States on Monday with a live broadcast on FS1 at 9:00pm TT followed by the closing group match against Barbados on Wednesday from 6:00pm on Fox Soccer Plus.

The Trinidad and Tobago squad arrived in Guatemala City on Thursday night from Kingston, Jamaica where it was based in a two-match Residential training camp over the past week.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 10, 2023, 05:30:06 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 11, 2023, 04:19:21 PM »
i see cooper start rio and red card

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 11, 2023, 04:28:43 PM »
This team looks poor. A lot of mistakes and misplaced passes

Offline lucky4life

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 11, 2023, 04:38:52 PM »
And this Canada team isn't even GOOD

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 11, 2023, 04:42:07 PM »
This team looks poor. A lot of mistakes and misplaced passes

we have fallen back .
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:51:26 PM by Trini _2026 »

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2023, 05:55:00 PM »
And this Canada team isn't even GOOD
Exactly!!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 12, 2023, 10:05:18 AM »
There's nothing that you can say about Canada apart of how ordinary they look, we look just a little worse but can still score 2 goals,and with 10 men.I hope we can improve and that's not out of the question.

PS. I have beaten off Cancer over the past 7 months with Chemo Therapy at a Hospital in London.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 12, 2023, 10:15:51 AM »
There's nothing that you can say about Canada apart of how ordinary they look, we look just a little worse but can still score 2 goals,and with 10 men.I hope we can improve and that's not out of the question.

PS. I have beaten off Cancer over the past 7 months with Chemo Therapy at a Hospital in London.

Congratulations brother!!! True warrior.

On another note…that youth man we give a passport and fly een…all yuh sure the youth didn’t think is volleyball he came to play instead of football??

Second half showing was aloooot better…I hope Cooper change his tactics and let the guys ply the ball instead of just defending in our half like they did in the first half.
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 12, 2023, 12:31:04 PM »
Canada defeats Trinidad and Tobago 3-2 in CONCACAF Men's U-17 tournament opener
The Canadian Press

Kyler Vojvodic scored twice as Canada hung on to defeat Trinidad and Tobago 3-2 in its opening match Saturday at the CONCACAF men's Under-17 championship.

The Canadians dominated play, with six corners in the first half alone but went into the break only up 1-0 despite Trinidad going down a man in the 19th minute. They led 2-0 and 3-1 in the second half only to see the stubborn Soca Warriors battle back each time.

Chimere Omeze also scored for Canada, which improved to 5-2-2 against Trinidad in CONCACAF men's under-17 play.

The 20-team tournament, which runs through Feb. 26, will send four teams to the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru in November. The world championship was originally slated for 2021 but was postponed because of the pandemic.

Canada has been to seven of the past 18 men's U-17 World Cups, hosting the event in 1987. It has never advanced past the group stage including last time out in Brazil in 2019 when it went 0-3-0.

Mexico won the CONCACAF U-17 Championship in 2019, defeating the U.S. 2-1 after extra time in the final at Bradenton, Fla. It was the Mexicans' eighth title at this age level. The Canadians lost 4-0 to the Americans in the 2019 semifinal.

The Canadians, coached by Andrew Olivieri, continue Group F play Monday against Barbados and Wednesday against the U.S. Barbados and the U.S. played later Saturday in the second half of the doubleheader at Estadio Pensativo.

The three top teams in each of the four opening-round groups advance to the knockout phase. They will join Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic in the round of 16. Those four teams advanced directly from CONCACAF men's U-17 qualifying play.

Trinidad went down a man early when Rio Cardines was red-carded for a hand ball, throwing his arm up to keep a Canadian header out of the goal. But goalkeeper Ailan Panton, guessing correctly, dove to his left to stop the ensuing penalty from Vojvodic.

Vojvodic, a 16-year-old from Port Coquitlam, B.C., who is with the Vancouver Whitecaps academy, redeemed himself in the 27th minute, tapping a low cross past Panton after a nice dummy run by Lucas Ozimec for a 1-0 lead.

Panton made a fine diving save off an Omeze shot in the 59th minute but was beaten two minutes later when, after a short corner, Gael de Montigny found an unmarked Omeze in front of goal and the Toronto FC academy forward headed the ball home.

Panton's mother, Wendy Fitzwilliam, was crowned Miss Universe in 1998.

Substitute Malachi Webb answered for Trinidad in the 67th minute, beating the offside trap for a breakaway before dribbling around onrushing goalkeeper Nathaniel Abraham. Webb's angled shot just beat a chasing Canadian defender into the goal.

Vojvodic roofed a shot from just inside the penalty box one minute later to restore Canada's two-goal lead.

Lindell Sween made it interesting in the 80th minute, curling a beautiful free kick from outside the penalty box over the Canadian wall and past a diving Abraham.

The Canadian starting 11 included midfielder Alessandro Biello, son of Mauro Biello who doubles as an assistant coach with the Canadian senior men's team and director of Canada Soccer's under-18 to under-23 program. Mauro Biello won four caps for Canada as a player.

Alessandro Biello, who is part of the CF Montreal academy, is also the nephew of former Canadian international Nick De Santis.

Head Coach Cooper later credited his side for their gutsy showing.
TTFA Media.

“It was a great response from the boys after going a man down,” Cooper told TTFA Media.

“We showed resilience and played for a result nevertheless. I think we started off very nervous especially when playing out of the back. I have seen us do it much better. There were too many mis-directed passes.

“I think the sending off of Rio affect the team’s confidence especially being double penalized for still a questionable handball. Several officials at the game thought it was to close to call especially in real time. We looked back at it and frame by frame photos showed Rio’s hand in the air but Panton’s hand played the ball in front of Rio’s hand.

“We just paid the price for his hand position and we have to move on from it. I think the lack of experience to settle after that incident showed for a while and the first goal came shortly after.

Can’t ask for more from the boys

“As a coach you can’t ask for more from the boys after the first half. They played with good spirit and after a tactical change at the half we fought to get back into the game. We pulled a goal back but immediately lost concentration after scoring which I think went down as a lack of experience, knowing you are must vulnerable when you have just scored.

“The plus is we played 70 plus minutes and never gave up. I think we should all commend the boys for that effort. They won the hearts of the spectators who were present by the ovation they got after the game. This was not the best game I have seen them play but the effort was second to none, which shows the character within the squad.

Next Game will be interesting

The next game will be another interesting one seeing how matured the US looked against Barbados. They really controlled the game effortlessly and Barbados is not a bad team by the look of things especially in the first half. This was just a well prepared US team they came up against. We will have to be much more clinical in our passing and movement off the ball against this well experienced and organized US team to get a positive result.

Lineups

Trinidad and Tobago (4-2-3-1): 1.Ailan Panton (GK); 7.Rio Cardines [Red card 19], 3.Joshua Figaro, 2.Jaden Williams (6.Aydon Caruth 46), 4.Lyshaun Morris; 15.Armani Rowe, 8.Josiah Ochoa (captain) (19.Tyrell Moore 90); 11.Derrel Garcia (13.Vaughn Clement 68), 12.Jeremiah Cateau (14.Tau Lamsee 68), 18.Dominic Wilson (17.Malachi Webb 46); 9.Lindell Sween.

Unused substitutes: 20.Jaden Ottley (GK), 5.Samuel Duncan, 10.Michael Chaves, 16.Jeremiah Niles.

Coach: Shawn Cooper

Canada (3-1-4-2): 1.Nathaniel Abraham (GK); 5.Chimere Omeze, 6.Lazar Stefanovic (captain), 13.Richard Chukwu; 4.Alessandro Biello; 2.Theo Rigopoulos (12.Aidan Fong 72), 10.Antoine N’diaye (20.Andrei Dumitru 46), 8.Jeevan Badwal, 3.Gael De Montigay (15.Victor Fung 72); 19.Kyler Vojvodic (7.Ibrahim Higazy 84), 11.Lucas Ozimec (9.Erik Pop 72).

Unused substitutes: 18.Alexander O’Brien (GK), 14.Ruben De Sa, 16.Etienne Godin, 17.Liam MacKenzie.

Coach: Andrew Olivieri

Referee: José Fuentes

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

2023 Concacaf U-17 results (Sat 11 February)

Group F

Canada 3 (Kyler Vojvodic 27, 68, Chimere Omeze 61), Trinidad and Tobago 2 (Malachi Webb 67, Lindell Sween 80)

United States 5 (Cruz Medina 25, 43, 90+3, Keyrol Figueroa 86, Taha Habroune 89), Barbados 0

Group E

Mexico 9 (Gael Álvarez 2, Isaac Martínez 14, Fidel Barajas 17, Stephano Carrillo 23, 45, Álex Valencia 72, Joaquín Moxica 86, José Urias 89, José Arroyo 90+2), Curaçao 0

Panama 1 (Kevin Walder 16), Guatemala 0

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:27:35 PM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 13, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »

Wow Frico. God Blessings Breds. Did not know You going thru this. My moms who is 87 just got the news from her doctors that her results after chemo is negative. Blessings, Blessings !!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 13, 2023, 03:10:47 PM »
Shawn Cooper proud of T&T U-17s in 3-2 loss to Canada
T&T Newsday

Trinidad and Tobago's Under-17 boys football coach Shawn Cooper has praised his team’s fight in a 3-2 defeat to Canada in their opening match of the Concacaf Men’s Under-17 Championship at the Estadio Pensativo in Guatemala on Saturday.

The US defeated Barbados 5-0 in the second group match on the evening to lead the group heading into Monday’s clash with T&T at 9 pm T&T time.

T&T suffered an early blow when English-born Rio Cardines was shown a straight red for a handball offence near the goal. From the resulting penalty, goalkeeper Ailan Panton came up big with a low save to his left to deny Kyler Vojvodic.

“It was a great response from the boys after going a man down,” Cooper said.

“We showed resilience and played for a result nevertheless. I think we started off very nervous especially when playing out of the back. I have seen us do it much better. There were too many misdirected passes.”

Vojvodic, who plays with the Vancouver Whitecaps Academy, redeemed himself in the 27th minute, tapping in a low cross past Panton after a dummy run by Lucas Ozimec, to give Canada a 1-0 lead.

Panton made a diving save to stop a Chimere Omeze shot in the 59th minute but was beaten two minutes later when, after a short corner, Gael de Montigny found an unmarked Omeze and the Toronto FC Academy forward headed the ball home.

T&T pulled a goal back when substitute Malachi Webb beat the offside trap for a breakaway before dribbling around onrushing goalkeeper Nathaniel Abraham. Webb’s angled shot just beat a chasing Canadian defender into the goal.

But Canada hit back as Vojvodic roofed a shot from just inside the penalty box one minute later to restore Canada’s two-goal lead.

Lindell Sween made it interesting in the 80th minute, curling a beautiful free kick from outside the penalty box over the Canadian wall and past a diving Abraham.

Speaking more about the red card, Cooper said, “I think the sending off of Rio affected the team’s confidence especially being double penalised for still a questionable handball. Several officials at the game thought it was too close to call especially in real time. We looked back at it and frame-by-frame photos showed Rio’s hand in the air but Panton’s hand played the ball in front of Rio’s hand.

“We just paid the price for his hand position and we have to move on from it. I think the lack of experience to settle after that incident showed for a while and the first goal came shortly after.”

Cooper said he was proud of his team’s effort in the second half. “As a coach you can’t ask for more from the boys after the first half. They played with good spirit and after a tactical change at the half we fought to get back into the game. We pulled a goal back but immediately lost concentration after scoring, which I think went down as a lack of experience, knowing you are most vulnerable when you have just scored.

“The plus is we played 70-plus minutes and never gave up. I think we should all commend the boys for that effort. They won the hearts of the spectators who were present, by the ovation they got after the game. This was not the best game I have seen them play but the effort was second to none, which shows the character within the squad.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 13, 2023, 03:24:12 PM »
Their second goal against us, our stopper lose track of the guy who ran past him for a tap in. Hopefully they tie or beat US and beat B'dos. Tall order, but doable.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:27:34 PM by Deeks »

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 13, 2023, 06:45:04 PM »
Wish we could stop being proud of a loss and just do better.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 13, 2023, 07:14:39 PM »
Yup proud of a loss usa up 2 nil

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 13, 2023, 07:15:36 PM »
This guys chasing shadows  :omg

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 13, 2023, 07:16:14 PM »
The pace is to much

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 13, 2023, 07:27:11 PM »
Barbados held usa 2 nil to till the 85the we are down 3 nil at 25 min

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 14, 2023, 04:01:54 AM »
This trinidad U17 coach sucks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqtO7XExFkI

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #801 on: February 14, 2023, 08:20:22 AM »
T&T Under-17s hunts first points versus USA.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

The Shawn Cooper-coached T&T Under-17 men’s football team will go after their first points at the 20-team CONCACAF Under-17 Championship n Antigua City, Guatemala on Monday when they meet USA in their second match in three days at the Estadio Pensativo in Antigua from 9 pm.

T&T will have to do without the services of Stevenage, England-born midfielder Rio Cardines of Crystal Palace after he was red-carded in their hard-fought 3-2 loss to Canada in their tournament opener at the same venue on Saturday.

Cardines who only got his T&T passport on Friday was issued a straight red card by referee Jese Fuentes in his first match for a handled ball on the goalline to deny Canada’s Chimere Omeze from scoring a header off a right-sided corner taken by Antoine Sedar N’Diaye in the 19 minutes.

From the resulting penalty, T&T goalkeeper Ailan Panton, the son of former Miss Universe Wendy Fitzwilliam made a save low to his left to deny Kyler Vojvodic and keep the game scoreless.

Vojvodic made amends five minutes later when he fired Canada ahead from open play which they held until the half-time whistle before they added to their lead in the 61st minute when an unmarked Omeze headed past Panton for a 2-0 advantage.

Despite being a man down, T&T managed to cut Canada’s lead in half in the 67th minute via substitute Malachi Webb of St Benedict’s College, who replaced Dominic Wilson at the half-time interval, as he tapped into an open net after rounding goalkeeper Nathaniel Abraham.

But the young Soca Warrior’s joy was short-lived as Vojvodic soon restored Canada’s two-goal lead with a thumping right-footed blast to make it 3-1 with his second item of the match inside a minute of the restart.

Against all odds, the determined young Soca Warriors got a second goal through San Juan North Secondary’s Lindell Sween’s left-footed free-kick to cut the score to 3-2 following a foul committed by Omeze to set up an interesting final nine minutes.

In the end, T&T came up just short of what would have been a very commendable draw, while the USA hammered Barbados 5-0 led by Cruz Medina of the San Jose Earthquakes with two goals, in the 25th and 43rd minutes’, the latter on an exquisite shot from long distance, to give his team a 2-0 lead.

Keyrol Figueroa and Taha Habroune added late goals in the 86th and 89th to make it 4-0 before Medina tacked on a last-minute score in the 90+3’ to complete his hat-trick and a 5-0 scoreline.

Before the T&T and USA encounter, Canada will go after its second win from as many matches in the group when it faces Barbados at 6 pm, while in Group E, eight-time competition winners and defending champions Mexico and Panama also go after their second wins against Guatemala and Curacao respectively.

The Mexicans began the defence of their title with a 9-0 mauling of Curacao, and Panama edged Guatemala 1-0 in their Group E openers also played on Saturday at the Estadio Nacional Doroteo Guamuch Flores in Guatemala City.

The T&T boys then close out their round-robin group campaign against the “Bajans” on February 15 from 6 pm, with USA and Canada facing off at 9 pm.

Group H which is made up of Honduras, Haiti, El Salvador, and Suriname kicked off at the Estadio Pensativo in Antigua on Sunday, while Group G featuring Costa Rica, Jamaica, Guadeloupe, and Cuba began in Guatemala City, also yesterday.

After the group stage, the top three nations in each group will advance to the knockout stage, joining the four 2022 Concacaf U-17 Men’s Qualifiers (CU17Q) group winners: Bermuda, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico.

The round-of-16 matches will take place on February 18, and 19, at both venues, followed by the quarterfinals on February 21, and 22 with the semifinals set for February 24, and the finals on February 26 in Guatemala City.

All knockout stage matches will be played in a single-match direct elimination format, and the four semifinalists will qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Cup Peru 2023.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #802 on: February 14, 2023, 08:32:14 AM »
USMNT U-17’s stay perfect with victory over Trinidad & Tobago.
sbisoccer.com.

The U.S. Under-17 men’s national team made it two victories out of two at the Concacaf U-17 Championship after defeating Trinidad & Tobago 3-1 on Monday.

Gonzalo Segares’ squad used three goals in the first half to set the tone before hanging on for a second group stage win of the competition. American goalkeeper Adam Beaudry made two saves in goal, continuing a strong defensive run so far for the USMNT U-17’s.

The USMNT U-17’s needed only 11 minutes to break the deadlock with Micah Burton delivering the opening goal. Taha Habroune’s cross into the box was redirected towards goal by Burton, as the young attacker watched the ball land into the top-left corner.

The Americans kept the pressure on and Sawyer Jura’s low cross in the 14th minute was tapped home by Paulo Rudisill for a 2-0 advantage. It was Rudisill’s first goal of the tournament.

Taha Habroune benefitted nicely to score the USMNT U-17’s third goal of the match, receiving Rudisill’s pass in the box before taking one touch and drilling home from point-blank range.

Trinidad & Tobago cut its deficit to two goals with Derrel Garcia scoring off a sensational strike, but it would end up as a mere consolation in the final scoreline.

A total of 15 players saw playing time for the USMNT U-17’s in the victory. Up next is a final group stage showdown with Canada on Wednesday.

Concacaf Under-17 Championship Results

(Mon 13 February)

USA 3 (Micah Burton 11, Paulo Rudisill 14, Taha Habroune 24), Trinidad and Tobago 1 (Derrel Garcia 78)

Canada 2 (Liam Mackenzie 21, Alessandro Biello 28), Barbados 0

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago (4-2-3-1): 1.Ailan Panton (GK); 6.Aydon Caruth, 3.Joshua Figaro, 4.Lyshaun Morris, 5.Samuel Duncan (16.Jeremiah Niles 77); 15.Tau Lamsee (12.Jeremiah Cateau 46), 8.Josiah Ochoa (captain); 11.Derrel García, 10.Michael Chaves (17.Malachi Webb 77), 9.Lindell Sween; 19.Tyrell Moore.

Unused substitutes: 20.Jaden Ottley (GK), 13.Vaughn Clement, 18.Dominic Wilson.

Coach: Shawn Cooper

USA (4-1-3-2): 12.Adam Beaudry (GK); 13.Aiden Harangi, 15.Christian Diaz, 5.Stuart Hawkins, 3.Sawyer Jura; 8.Pedro Soma (captain); 19.Paulo Rudisill (17.Keyrol Figueroa 58), 20.Christopher Aquino, 11.David Vazquez (18.Ezekiel Soto 58); 14.Taha Habroune, 9.Micah Burton (10.Cruz Medina 82).

Unused substitutes: 1.Duran Ferree (GK), 2.Oscar Verhoeven, 4.Tyler Hall, 6.Edwyn Mendoza,  7.Brain Carmona Romero, 16.Adrian Gill.

Coach: Gonzalo Segares.

Watch - Highlights

RELATED NEWS

U-17s fall to USA 3-1
...hope to progress against Barbados on Wednesday
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

T&T's Under-17 footballers conceded their second defeat of the CONCACAF Under-17 Championship in Guatemala on Monday night at the Estadio Pensativo in Antigua, going down 3-1 in Group F.

However, striker Derrel Garcia scored the goal of the match to assure that his team is still in with a chance of progressing to the next round of the competition as the third team when they face regional neighbour Barbados in their final match today at 6 pm at the same venue.

Trailing 3-0 late in the match, Garcia, who was one of two scorers for T&T in their opening 3-2 loss to Canada on Saturday, executed perfectly from a ball that was whipped in from the left side by substitute Malachi Webb in the 79th minute.

Garcia connected sweetly on the volley to place it wide of goalkeeper Adam Beaudry, who for most of the game, had an uneventful match.

Earlier, the US dominated the affair and could have had a larger margin of victory, thanks to the battling effort of T&T goalkeeper Ailan Panton. Panton's defence was called into action as early as the third minute when a right-sided attempt reached the legs of Micah Purton, but under pressure from Josiah Ochoa, Purton hit his shot wide.

Panton, on at least two other occasions, foiled the US attacks in the early moments but he could do nothing in the 11th minute when Taha Habroune eluded a sliding tackle by Lyshaun Morris inside the T&T area and whipped the ball inside for Purton to meet with the inside of his right foot, past Panton for the early lead 1-0.

Purton had another chance to give his team a 2-0 advantage when he was picked out from another right-side centre that he hit agonisingly wide of the post in the 13th minute.

One minute later, the USA got their goal. Sawyer Jura found himself at the end of a long diagonal ball on the left side and he centred for Paulo Rudisill to flick it past Panton for a two-goal cushion in the 14th minute.

By then the USA, who defeated Barbados 5-0 in their opening match, were well in control. And apart from ensuring one-way traffic in the T&T half, they received a third goal in the 24th minute. This time T&T defender Joshua Figaro was culpable.

The defender overran a right-side centre in his area that targeted Habroune. It allowed the US player to collect freely and slot the ball past Panton for a 3-0 scoreline.

With T&T trailing 3-0 at the halftime interval, coach Shawn Cooper was still able to inspire his charges, who came out re-energised thereafter.

Tyrell Moore got some room on the right side in the 69th minute, and his powerful low drive from just inside the area slipped through the grasp of Beaudry, but it went just wide of the USA post.

At the other end, Panton, at least three times, had to be alert to keep out Christopher Aquino from inside the T&T goal area.

T&T's goal came against the run of play.

Garcia, though, would have the last of the T&T chances in the 82nd minute. Served a through ball on the right side of the area, Garcia hit powerfully to goal, but Beaudry pushed it wide of the goalpost to preserve a 3-1 victory.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:01:35 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 14, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
The three us goals all had an element of luck.  All square passes boy.......  First one deflected off our defender, 2nd one went through the sliding defender's legs, third one, I eh know what happen dey but it went right through the defender again.
On the first goal we were outnumbered on the right side, I thought that was a risky situation compounded by the defender sliding and missing with no one behind him as backup. Still the deflection on the eventual pass across the box could have just as easily taken the ball away from danger.
On the third, I thought the late underlapping run should have been tracked better, still our defender could have easily gotten a good touch to block the cross.  Millimetres made a difference.

Congrats to young Derrel Garcia on a stunning strike, not even Messi does hit like dat.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:18:22 AM by Peong »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 14, 2023, 12:30:06 PM »
The three us goals all had an element of luck.

At the same time, if the USA's decision making and shot selection were better, we could have been looking at a rout by halftime. Time and time again they were in prime positions to score. They had 32 shots, but only 9 on goal. We had 7, with 3 on goal.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 14, 2023, 12:47:35 PM »
The three us goals all had an element of luck.

At the same time, if the USA's decision making and shot selection were better, we could have been looking at a rout by halftime. Time and time again they were in prime positions to score. They had 32 shots, but only 9 on goal. We had 7, with 3 on goal.

The goalkeeper save like hell. We could have gotten about seven in we backside. The team have some spunk, but they need more of everything to succeed at the next level.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #806 on: February 15, 2023, 01:00:16 AM »
CONCACAF U17 Champs: T&T remain confident despite loss to US
T&T Newsday Reports.

T&T’s quest for qualification from Group F in the Concacaf Under-17 Championship was hindered by North American powerhouses, the United States, on Monday evening. However, the young Soca Warriors can hold their heads high following stellar performances in their first two games as they prepare to battle for advancement in the final fixture of the group.

T&T’s U17 team fought valiantly against a better-prepared US outfit but fell to a 3-1 defeat at the Estadio Pensativo in Antigua, Guatemala.

The young Warriors also lost their opening match 3-2 to Canada, having played with ten men for 70 minutes. Malachi Webb and Lindell Sween were the scorers on the night.

Shawn Cooper made five changes to the starting eleven following the sending off of Crystal Palace midfielder Rio Cardines in the match against Canada. Injuries to Jaden Williams’ and Armani Rowe also forced the T&T boss to switch things around, as he brought in Tyrell Moore, Michael Chaves, Tau Lamsee, Jeremiah Niles and Aydon Caruth.

The young Warriors took the field prepared to scrap for opportunities and keep a tight defensive block in a compressed 4-4-2 formation against one of Concacaf’s best teams.

On the evening, the US out-shot the Warriors 32 to seven and had the superior spell of possession, holding 75 per cent of the ball as opposed to T&T’s 25 per cent. When it came to corner kicks, T&T stood their ground to defend the majority of the American’s 12 set pieces from the field’s vertices.

However, the match was firmly decided within the first 25 minutes as the US clinically took their chances against the Warriors, who struggled to deal with the American’s pressing game in the early stages.

In the 11th minute, the US retained possession from a cleared corner kick and played it into the box for Taha Habroune on the right side of the pitch. The midfielder then evaded his defender and played a drilling cross through the Trinidadian defence to Micah Burton near the middle of the six-yard line, and the striker tapped the ball into the left side of the net.

The Americans doubled their lead three minutes later when Sawyer Jura drove towards the byline before playing the ball across the goal into the goal area for Paulo Rudisill to score his first goal of the tournament.

The score would then be 3-0 to the US in the 24th minute as Rudisill turned provider to set up Habroune, who tapped clinically tapped the ball into the net and give the Americans a solid lead.

At half-time, Cooper altered his team to set up a flat line of five players in midfield. This change proved to be successful as T&T limited their opponents and were able to create more chances of their own in the attacking third.

However, unlike the match against Canada, there was no fight-back from the Warriors on this occasion. But St Benedict’s standout Derrell Garcia netted a consolation goal for T&T as the budding midfielder volleyed Malachi Webb’s cross off the bounce past the diving US goalkeeper to ensure that there was no American clean sheet.

Following the match, T&T coach Shawn Cooper told TTFA Media, “The team conceded three soft goals which were down to individual mistakes, lack of concentration and composure in key moments. All of this are learning experiences (that) the boys are getting while playing only their fourth international game and second competitive game.”

Despite the two losses, T&T’s qualification hopes are still alive going into the final fixture of the group. The Warriors just need a draw against Caribbean neighbours Barbados later today to clinch a place in the quarterfinals.

Barbados themselves have lost their two opening matches – 5-0 to the US and 2-0 to Canada – and stand on a goal-differential of -7, while TT are on -3. Therefore, one point would be enough for the young Warriors to advance. But Cooper’s team will be battling for all three.

Ahead of the fixture, the T&T coach expressed, “Going into the Barbados game, we hope to continue from the second half against the US. We are carrying a couple of injuries to key defenders but we are hoping they recover for the match and our medical team will be working with the players to get the best possible situation.”

“Our hopes in moving forward depend on a positive result against a very stubborn Bajan team that will also be looking for a victory to move to the next round.”

T&T’s battle with Barbados is scheduled for 6pm (TT time) at the Estadio Pensativo on February 15.

Offline lucky4life

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 15, 2023, 05:36:20 PM »
Trinidad 0 BARBADOS 1in the 77 minutes

Offline lucky4life

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 15, 2023, 05:58:29 PM »
Trinidad 1 BARBADOS 1 in extra time