April 18, 2024, 10:57:34 PM

Author Topic: Willis Plaza Thread  (Read 38835 times)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Willis Plaza Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
If Plaza going Dubai, he eh reaching further than the duty free shopping or in-transit lounge. #nothisfinaldestination

He could do a job - the quality out there is artificially inflated by expensive imports. Given his style he could cause some trouble initially - don't know if over time they'll find him out though.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
East Bengal agree terms with Trinidad and Tobago striker Willis Plaza
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
East Bengal agree terms with Trinidad and Tobago striker Willis Plaza
By Đức Đồng (goal.com)

The Red and Golds have lagged some way behind their arch-rivals in completing their foreign contingent, but are trying to catch up now.

Kolkata giants East Bengal have agreed terms with Trinidad and Tobago international Willis Plaza, two weeks before starting their I-League campaign.

Plaza, who now plays for Trinidad based club San Juan Jabloteh FC, has been a regular member in the national squad. However, he has rarely enjoyed first team football, having made only six starts in last four years for the Soca Warriors.

The Trevor James Morgan-coached outfit has two foreigners in their ranks right now - Haitian striker Wedson Anselme and Ugandan defender Ivan Bukenya. They have also roped in FC Goa winger Romeo Fernandes, after signing the likes of Jackichand Singh, Rowllin Borges and David Lalrinmuana.

The side played a practice match at Siliguri on Thursday and won the contest 3-0 with Wedson scoring one and setting up the other two. They will start their I-League campaign at home against Aizawl FC in the curtain-raiser act on 7th January.
Kingfisher East Bengal FC are set to rope in Trinidad & Tobago striker Willis Plaza for I-League 2016-17
eastbengaltherealpower.com

East Bengal are likely to seal the deal with a striker from Trinidad and Tobago.

29 year old Willis Plaza has played 23 matches for his country. He has scored 7 goals with the national team. His last international goal came against China in the last FIFA Friendly Trinidad and Tobago played in June. The 6ft 2 inches tall striker also scored 5 goals in 8 appearances for his present club San Juan Jabloteh in this season.

Willis name has been referred by East Bengal’s new assistant coach Warren Hackett, who also hails from the Caribbean islands. Hackett hails from St Lucia but has spent most of his career in England. The striker has recently played a match against Ma Pau on Wednesday in the Trinidad & Tobago Pro League. The match ended in a 1-1 stalemate.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2016, 04:34:55 PM »
6-2. I did not know he was that tall. Good luck. Go make some money, Breds!!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2017, 11:32:39 PM »
Plaza made his debut in the I-League coming off the bench at the start of the second half. He had a sniff of goal off a sequence of play that followed a free kick, but was unable to convert. Final score East Bengal 1 Aizawl FC 1 following EB FC's 90' equalizer. Aizawl scored through an EB FC own goal in first half stoppage time.

Match was the season opener.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
East Bengal striker Willis Plaza recalls his cricket days with Sunil Narine
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
East Bengal striker Willis Plaza recalls his cricket days with Sunil Narine
By Sujata Sarkar (oneindia.com)

East Bengal's new foreign recruit Willis Plaza, who is a former Trinidad and Tobago national team striker is the latest sensation among the club fans.

Coach Trevor James Morgan too was impressed by Plaza’s silky footwork and his approach like a quality opportunistic striker in the team’s opening I-League match against Aizwal FC.

But the international footballer, who has represented Trinidad and Tobago at the senior level 23 times and scored nine goals, has an interesting story. Plaza in his school days was a cricket player. He revealed: “I was so serious that I had planned my career in the school days that I would be a cricketer in future.”

That time Plaza’s close friend was Sunil Narine, the prolific spinner from West Indies who stole the heart of the cricket in the IPL through his unorthodox but piercing bowling.

Plaza further said: “Narine was a very close friend of mine. We used to study in the same school. We used to practice cricket almost together.

"I also used to bowl but at the same time, I used to bat also in the middle-order. We had the same idol that time.

"That was Brian Lara. We used to dream of becoming famous like Brian Lara. But finally, I had to depart from cricket.”

The football coach of Plaza’s school advised him to leave cricket and start playing football.

He added: “Actually, my football coach knew about the financial condition of my family. My father was not a rich man.

"He had to struggle to feed us. So, my football coach in the school advised me to start playing football.

"He said I would not be able to continue with cricket later as it is an expensive game comparing to football. Today, I thank him for the perfect advice.”

Sunil Narine had made debut in international cricket in 2011. Plaza had his debut with Trinidad andTobago in the very next year.

Plaza, however, informed that he is still in touch with the West Indian spin bowler. The 29-year old striker said, “I still have communication with Narine over the telephone.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
But that 10000 when converted to USD is only about 200usd. Them cyah be serious

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »

This is India notEngland.

That's about 50-60 chicken  roti on  the street.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09:58 PM »

That is 200 US more than what he would get for a MoM performance in the pro league
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2017, 12:14:00 AM »
Not even $200. About $150. But nothing to sneeze at given the cost of living. Also nothing to sneeze at given TT Pro League wages.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
Agreed with the opinions expressed above. I just thought that the way the stadiums seemed fullish there may have been more money involved.  ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »
It may be more than they saying. Maybe they don't want the bandits in TT to know how much he really making.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
WATCH: A first-half brace by Willis Plaza gives East Bengal FC a 2-0 win over Densill Theobald's Mumbai FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BUaC7v5LwiQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BUaC7v5LwiQ</a>
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:16:32 PM by Flex »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
That 2nd goal was sweet.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
That 2nd goal was sweet.

Was a classique!!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
Look Densil Theobald yes, lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
WATCH: Willis Plaza notches his fifth goal of the season in East Bengal’s 3-0 win over Chennai City

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/89gX9rDHjO4?start=657" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/89gX9rDHjO4?start=657</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
big difference receiving allmost perfect passes, eh?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
i guess plaza finally found his level.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »
based on the Highlights, passes, control, finishes, defending, what level would you determine that to be ?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2017, 08:41:30 AM »
based on the Highlights, passes, control, finishes, defending, what level would you determine that to be ?
the level where he could score in back to back games netting a brace and looking like revaldo while doing so.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
How about, the level where he can get the kind/quality of service and/or the team structure, allowing him to do so   ;)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2017, 02:10:25 PM »
How about, the level where he can get the kind/quality of service and/or the team structure, allowing him to do so   ;)

Yuh think any of them teams in that league could beat Ma Pau?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
Indian league not at a bad level. Diego Forlan struggling for goals in this same league. Plaza deserves his credit

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
Just for clarification. Forlan was in the Indian Super League. Which is an 8 team big money tournament that attracts big name former stats.

Plaza and Theobald playing in the I-League which is the Indian domestic league.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »

if they beat Central, I wouldn't be surprised. Would you really ?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »
Nice run by Plaza

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »

if they beat Central, I wouldn't be surprised. Would you really ?

As much as of a surprise as Sutton United beating Leeds United in the FA Cup
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2017, 03:45:29 PM »
Is the service better or is the defending of that service worse?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
Is the service better or is the defending of that service worse?
not sure, but watching the rest of the game available, the zone coverage seemed ok, the man marking a little relaxed..but if the defending WAS overall relatively weak, then they won't need a Plaza to be scoring, any decent striker would..about the goals doh, he still had to work, he made the right runs and received the correct passes, on his goals, defense made decent attempts without fouling.
 I would say he better than this league, but he was a top scorer in our league too... what I did see, the passers were seeking him out rather than hitting him a 'btw, since yuh here', as occurred for him in the few practiced Ntl setup.  Football is decent everywhere, but I think Plaza may be capable of stronger leagues given the right circumstance and of course a run of luck..all strikers need a good dose of that
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:06:46 PM by maxg »

1]; } ?>