March 28, 2024, 12:15:07 PM

Author Topic: Willis Plaza Thread  (Read 38578 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Willis Plaza Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
Excellent indeed!

But he can't seem to replicate it for the NT. Is it that we don't play to his strengths? Or the lever is higher.

I honestly think it is a combination of both.Great to see the variety of goals he scores. He is in the mold of the typical T&T striker. But how would he fare with stingier defences. . .

I thought he played well vs Wales, he was holding the ball up, turning and dribbling past defenders. Just he only got to play the first half but to me he was one of our better players.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
Excellent indeed!

But he can't seem to replicate it for the NT. Is it that we don't play to his strengths? Or the lever is higher.

I honestly think it is a combination of both.Great to see the variety of goals he scores. He is in the mold of the typical T&T striker. But how would he fare with stingier defences. . .

I thought he played well vs Wales, he was holding the ball up, turning and dribbling past defenders. Just he only got to play the first half but to me he was one of our better players.

Great to hear. Didnt get to see the game. Just highlights. I couldn't come to conclusions from that
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2019, 08:08:05 AM »
WATCH: Willis Plaza gets off the mark with his first goal of the 2019/20 I-League season in Churchill Brothers FC Goa's 3-0 win over Minerva Punjab FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XtjceroRRr4?start=272" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XtjceroRRr4?start=272</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
WATCH: A brace by Willis Plaza and goals by Robert Primus and Radanfah Abu Bakr lead Churchill Brothers FC Goa to a 4-2 win over Mohun Bagan.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MGD0_jUok9M?start=20" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MGD0_jUok9M?start=20</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Nice, the T&T players with the 4 goals. Stadium looks full, Plaza and those guys must feel good playing in front of a big crowd. Also look like quite a few foreign players plying their trade in this league.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2019, 07:00:26 AM »
Cyrus there doing his thing in defense, lol.

"Another mistake by Daniel Cyrus"
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2019, 07:25:56 AM »

That "another" is de kicker.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2019, 02:08:41 PM »

That "another" is de kicker.
He’s shit in a poor league against weaker opponents. I rest my case. get rid from our national team, I don’t care who else he destroys as long as it’s not us.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »

Oh gyad Daneil, Poojarie send yuh skatin from the box to de corner flag.
Doh let dem do yuh dat nah man!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »
WATCH: A Willis Plaza header gives Churchill Brothers a 1-0 win over East Bengal

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E6SJgfzwGgg?start=496" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E6SJgfzwGgg?start=496</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »
Willis Plaza Roped in by Mohammedan Sporting for new season of I-League Second Division
voiceofindiansports.com

Mohammedan Sporting Club ahead of the forthcoming 2nd Division League beefed up their squad with the signing of Trinidadian ace Willis Deon Plaza.

The 33-year-old marksman becomes the Black Panthers’ second foreign signing for the 2nd Division League and the first ever Caribbean player at the club.

General Secretary Mr. Sk. Wasim Akram was delighted with the newest addition to the squad and said, “We are very excited to get a player who will be committed and focused. It is vital as well to have players who have experience, because we have a very good bunch of young players but you also need a good weight of experience in your team and Plaza will contribute to that.”

Football Secretary Mr. Dipendu Biswas said Plaza’s addition was an important one, given his penchant for scoring. “Plaza has a proven track-record when it comes to scoring and this is an area we needed to strengthen on the squad. The goals aside, he even has an eye for a quality final pass and we’re looking forward to working with him.”

Plaza, who was in talks with the Black Panthers after getting released by East Bengal in January 2018 before the deal didn’t materialize, said he was glad to have finally made the move.

Having completed formalities, an excited Plaza said, “I am delighted to sign for Mohammedan Sporting Club. It’s a great club with top players and passionate fans. I want to score goals for the club and help the club to qualify for I-League.”

“When I got the offer from Mohammedan Sporting Club, I didn’t hesitate for one moment that I want to be here,” the former East Bengal striker added.

“I am excited for the new challenge, I am here to make my contribution and I will be doing my job as best I can,” Plaza concluded.

Plaza, who began his journey in Indian football with East Bengal in 2016, showed his class with Churchill Brothers. Plaza scored 43 goals for Churchill in all competitions since joining the Club in March 2018.

RELATED NEWS

Plaza signs with I-League Second Division Black Panthers.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T striker Willis Plaza has signed with Mohammedan Sporting Club ahead of the forthcoming Indian 2nd Division League on a free transfer.

The 33-year-old marksman becomes the Black Panthers’ second foreign signing for the Second Division League and the first-ever Caribbean player at the club.

General Secretary Sk. Wasim Akram was delighted with the newest addition to the squad and said, “We are very excited to get a player who will be committed and focused. It is vital as well to have players who have the experience because we have a very good bunch of young players but you also need a good weight of experience in your team and Plaza will contribute to that.”

Football Secretary Dipendu Biswas said Plaza’s addition was an important one, given his penchant for scoring. “Plaza has a proven track record when it comes to scoring and this is an area we needed to strengthen on the squad. The goals aside, he even has an eye for a quality final pass and we’re looking forward to working with him.”

Plaza, who was in talks with the Black Panthers after getting released by East Bengal in January 2018 before the deal didn’t materialize, said he was glad to have finally made the move.

Having completed formalities, an excited Plaza said, “I am delighted to sign for Mohammedan Sporting Club. It’s a great club with top players and passionate fans. I want to score goals for the club and help the club to qualify for I-League.”

“When I got the offer from Mohammedan Sporting Club, I didn’t hesitate for one moment that I want to be here,” the former East Bengal striker added.

“I am excited about the new challenge, I am here to make my contribution and I will be doing my job as best I can,” Plaza concluded.

Plaza, who began his journey in Indian football with East Bengal in 2016, showed his class with Churchill Brothers.

A former San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC striker, Plaza scored 43 goals for Churchill Brothers in all competitions since joining the Club in March 2018.

In the abrupted 2019 season, Plaza who also enjoyed two years in Vietnam netted eight goals in 14 matches, after topping the scoring chart in 2018/2019 with 21 goals, his best output as a professional.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:26:03 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
WATCH: Willis Plaza opens the scoring with a low shot past the keeper in Mohammedan SC's 4-1 win over ARA FC.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lekUWKYHwYM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lekUWKYHwYM</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
Plaza wins I-League promotion
T&T Express Reports.

WILLIS Plaza’s stay in the third tier of Indian football was short-lived. The 33-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international has won promotion with his new club Mohammedan SC.

After just a few matches with his new team, Mohammedan Sporting Club have been promoted to the I-League First Division, the second tier competition created after the fusion this season of India’s two major football leagues. The “Black Panthers” enjoyed an unbeaten run in the Hero I-League Qualifiers 2020 that took place from October 8-19, within an isolated bubble in Kolkata and Kalyani. It was the first sporting tournament to be held in the nation after the Covid-19 lockdown. The competition saw Mohammedan get the better of local rivals Bhawanipore FC 2-0 in their penultimate match which amounted to a virtual final. The I-League First division begins this month.

Although Plaza’s club emerged as the champions of the Hero I-League Qualifier, Mohammedan general secretary Wasim Akram isn’t willing to get into celebration mode right at this very moment.

“The results in the Hero I-League Qualifiers are something we are proud of. But I won’t call it a success because I feel it’s a place we deserve to be forever, and we have just reached there. Once we compete in the Hero I-League and win it, then I would label it a success,” Akram added.

“Qualifying to the Hero I-League means a lot. From the time I joined this club, looking at the support base and the pan-India presence we have, I realised that playing in the second division is not something we want to do. The relation of the Hero I-League and Mohammedan is far from over. Now, we are here. Better late than never. We were unbeaten in the qualifiers and we want to carry forward the same spirit and energy in the I-League as well,” the club general secretary said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »
WATCH: India-based forward Willis Plaza joined the Senior Men's Team training this week and told us his thoughts on playing under Terry Fenwick again. Fenwick first signed Plaza at San Juan Jabloteh.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DM66FwgcXZE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DM66FwgcXZE</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Plaza confident T&T football can return to its best days
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2020, 07:56:42 AM »
Plaza confident T&T football can return to its best days
T&T Guardian

India-based T&T senior national football team striker Willis Plaza is confident that this country can get back to playing its best football of recent times under new coach, Englishman Terry Fenwick.

The 33-year-old Plaza was speaking after a national team training session yesterday (Friday) at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, at which re-installed Normalisation Committee chairman Robert Hadad paid a visit and addressed the national squad and its staff.

Signed by Mohammedan SC during the off-season in the Indian I-League and a key part of their successful promotion run, Plaza said working with Fenwick can also serve to work in his favour.

A former Central FC and San Juan Jabloteh striker, Plaza who was joint top-scorer in the I-League in 2019 said, "Actually, it’s a plus for me working with Fenwick knowing the type of football he plays and the type of person he is, and know that I played with him before I know I can fit in his system and I am just happy to be here.”

Reflecting on his time in India during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and having to stay in lockdown for most of that period, Plaza said, “Trust me, it was a real break down in your mindset when it comes to being a bread winner for your family and being away from your family and just being away from your country, it was really difficult.

"You lose the love, the vibe and everything especially when you are out there alone and I am just grateful to be back in Trinidad and I have now started to find back the love for the football and everything."

Commenting on the state of the professional game in India where he has been plying his trade for the past three seasons with Churchill Brothers and now with Mohammedan, Plaza said it's difficult now because the football has taken a hit.

He added, "The game has moved from 10/10 to about 6/10 because the money has dropped, the support has also dropped and I think it all has to do with India being so high risk with the coronavirus.

"The social distancing is very strict over there in India and I don’t think it’s a life for a footballer at present, and I am not sure if I will be going back as well.”

Looking ahead to his training stint Fenwick and the national team, Plaza said everyone can expect to see him working hard and aiming to make the country proud again.

"We are a bit behind so we now have to try and catch back that level and bring the country back to where it was in our football. I'm confident we can get there because I know coach Terry Fenwick has been working towards it behind the scenes during the pandemic and most of the players understand what it will take and are willing to work hard and I think we will get there," said Plaza.

RELATED NEWS

Willis Plaza recalls dealing with pandemic in India.
T&T Express Reports.

Covid struggles

LIVING with the Covid-19 pandemic has made life so difficult in India that striker Willis Plaza is considering not returning to Mohammedan SC where he signed just a few months ago, and scored a few vital goal during their 2020 promotion qualifiers which began on October 8, with five teams vying for a spot in the I-League.

The round-robin competition ended on October 19, with Kolkata giants Mohammedan Sporting Club drawing 0-0 with Bengaluru United, taking them up to the I-League (second flight) for the first time since 2015, by registering three wins and a draw in four games.

Plaza, 33, was 2019 joint top-scorer in the I-League and had played in India since 2017, while also having stints in El Salvador and Belgium. Despite recent successes and having had multiple seasons in India with the East Bengal and Churchill Brothers clubs, Plaza is wondering whether India is the place to be now, given that the country has over nine million cases of Covid-19.

“The money has dropped, the support has also dropped and I think it all has to do with India being so high-risk with the coronavirus,” Plaza said. “The social distancing is very strict over there in India and I don’t think it’s a life for a footballer at present. I am not sure if I will be going back.”

Plaza spoke of the difficulty of isolation in India and having to do it because he is the breadwinner for his family. Under such conditions football became more of a job than a passion.

“It was really difficult,” he stated, “you are out there alone and I am just grateful to be back in Trinidad and I have now started to find back the love for the football and everything.”

Plaza is also glad to be back in the national team under coach Terry Fenwick, under whom he won TT Pro League titles at local clubs San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC. Speaking at Fenwick’s session on Friday, Plaza felt comfortable working with the Englishman again.

“It’s a plus for me working with Fenwick knowing the type of football he plays and the type of person he is, and knowing that I played with him before, I know I can fit in his system and I am just happy to be here.”

Plaza hopes to regain a place in the national team for the Concacaf and FIFA World Cup qualifiers next year, having last played for Trinidad and Tobago in a 1-0 friendly loss away to Wales under head coach Dennis Lawrence in early 2019. Plaza thinks a lot of hard work is needed leading up to next year’s competitions.

“We are a bit behind so we now have to try and catch back that level and bring the country back to where it was in our football,” Plaza said, “ most of the players understand what it will take and are willing to work hard and I think we will get there.”

Video - Plaza : I'm eager to reconnect with Fenwick

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:58:55 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
Willis Plaza returns to India to join Delhi FC.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »
WATCH: Willis Plaza gets his first goal for Delhi FC when he scores the opener in their 2-1 loss to Indian Navy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rxgrHoCukAw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rxgrHoCukAw</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2021, 09:04:46 AM »
WATCH: Delhi FC's Willis Plaza bags a brace in a thrilling 2-2 draw with Bengaluru FC. Plaza's performance earned him the Man of the Match award.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TbNsoCYwOgA?start=18" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TbNsoCYwOgA?start=18</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
WATCH: Willis Plaza's goal ensured that Delhi FC advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2021 Durand Cup after defeating Kerala Blasters 1-0. Plaza is currently the top scorer in the tournament with four goals to his name.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cRdk0YeQA6I?start=11" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cRdk0YeQA6I?start=11</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
WATCH: A Willis Plaza header sparks Delhi FC's 5-1 come-from-behind win over Corbett FC.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fNiQAeDXwqY?start=109" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fNiQAeDXwqY?start=109</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>