April 20, 2024, 01:11:51 AM

Author Topic: 2026 World Cup Thread  (Read 12120 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2026 World Cup Thread
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
serious talk Jeffrey????

who capable?

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) New CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb says a team from his soccer confederation should win the 2026 World Cup.

Webb made the declaration Wednesday after he was elected to lead 40 soccer nations of North and Central America and the Caribbean. The Cayman Islands banker was the only candidate to succeed disgraced former FIFA vice president Jack Warner. He resigned last June to avoid an investigation of a bribery scandal.

Webb told his members: ''The 2026 World Cup belongs to CONCACAF.''
FIFA President Sepp Blatter hailed Webb's election to the post, saying: ''The credibility of CONCACAF is back.''

One year ago, Webb's home country was one of four whistle-blowers on allegations of bribery, involving a longtime Caribbean strongman, Warner and Qatar's Mohamed bin Hammam, who attempted to run against Blatter.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Webb says 2026 World Cup title for CONCACAF
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »
I does cyar handle men who like to talk chupidness when they get in a big post.

Is not reach 2nd rounds he say yuh know..is not reach quarter finals yuh know..is win the holy grail he say.

Den again he mussbe mean USA or Mexico to take it...yeah that possible.

Not we coconut tree, shade sitting, rum drinkers..

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
He didn't say anything out of place there in my eyes!

Yuh have to show ambition for your federation as a new leader but let's hope he was serious and not giving us old talk as most politicians tend to do after winning an election when the feel good factor is high!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
I does cyar handle men who like to talk chupidness when they get in a big post.

Is not reach 2nd rounds he say yuh know..is not reach quarter finals yuh know..is win the holy grail he say.

Not we coconut tree, shade sitting, rum drinkers..

even this ah cyar handle...
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

The verdict is out on Webb. Even though it appears to be "mouthin" by Mr. Webb, I don't think he is saying anything outrageous. Mexico, with some luck can go very far. They and o lesser extent the US have the qualities to do Concacaf proud in a WC. Let us see what he has in store for CFU first before we start crucifying the man. CFU and Concacaf are the least of TT problem. Jack, TTFF(Watson, Taylor) and Anil are the impediment to the national team going anywhere.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:11 PM »
I think it safe to say that in my lifetime NO CONCACAF nation will win the World Cup.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Webb says 2026 World Cup title for CONCACAF
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »
I think it safe to say that in my lifetime NO CONCACAF nation will win the World Cup.

If chelsea could win a CL on luck anything possible
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
CONCACAF insists on hosting 2026 WC.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 01:53:07 AM »
CONCACAF insists on hosting 2026 WC
T&T Express Reports.

The governing body for soccer in North and Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF) is insisting that it should be allowed to host the 2026 World Cup tournament. CONCACAF lost its place in the queue when the world’s governing body FIFA abandoned its rotational policy after selecting Brazil as the 2014 host.

FIFA’s decision to award the 2018 tournament to Russia and the 2022 event to Qatar meant that CONCACAF would have to wait at least 32 years between tournaments after the US hosted the 1994 World Cup.

“From a CONCACAF perspective, our focus for the World Cup is 2026. We’re committed to that,” CONCACAF president Jeffrey Webb told a news conference in Manhattan on Tuesday. “CONCACAF was obviously hard done (by) when (the) rotation stopped; we were the ones who lost out because it should have been our turn after Brazil. When the rotation stopped, obviously it impacted us the most.”

The US, Canada and Mexico have all expressed interest in hosting the 2026 World Cup. However  Webb is encouraging the region to throw its weight behind one bid, although he did not rule out the possibility of a co-hosting arrangement.

“Obviously we believe our best chances is to put one member forward, one country forward, one bid forward, that gives us our best opportunity,” he said. “CONCACAF has 35 votes and of course if you split those votes amongst ourselves you’re defeating the purpose.”

The only co-hosted World Cup finals so far were organised by Japan and South Korea in 2002. FIFA has since said that any future joint bids would have to be organized under a single committee. Officials believe the US could join forces with either Mexico or Canada for 2026 if the countries could reach an agreement.

“I think it is very much possible,” said Webb. “FIFA did it in the past in 2002 with Japan and Korea and the experience from that was not too well.

“Obviously there are various costs and so forth increased by having two different local organizing committees in two different countries so from that standpoint I thought it (2002) was a logistical nightmare from my memory, but definitely it’s a possibility.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF insists on hosting 2026 WC.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »
Glad to hear it, it'd be nice for the region to get a bit of recognition. Mexico hosted in 1970 and 1986,and the USA in 1994, maybe a co-hosting between the US and Canada might be nice to improve the profile in Canada. Obviously I'd prefer a Trinidad hosting :p, but maybe a Caribbean co-hosting is a couple decades off
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:17:22 AM by Tiresais »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »
Scene: Office of Caribbean Football Union President, Gordon Derrick.

The telephone rings.

“Good morning, Bonjour, Buenos Dias, Goedemorgan, Guten morgen, Chow Baby, Gordon Derrick speaking.”

Photo: Recently elected CFU president Gordon Derrick

“Uhm, Good morning, Mr Derrick. Sepp Blatter here.”

“Ah, your Lordship. How are you, sir?”

“I’m very well, Mr Derrick. However, I have a couple of concerns that I need to discuss with you.”

“Fire away, your Highness.”

“Well, the first issue concerns a conflict of interest involving your football team, Antigua Barricuda. Does it seem fair to you that your team should gain automatic entry to the CFU Club Championship on the grounds that you are the President of the CFU?”

“Why not, your Majesty? If you recall, Mr Warner’s team, Joe Pubic, often competed in the CFU Championship.”

“Yes, but his team had to qualify; yours gets automatic entry.”

“But anybody can put together six or seven professional teams in Antigua and Barbuda and form a professional league. That would then give them an opportunity to represent the nation in the CFU alongside Barracuda.”

“So, if there is a professional league, Barracuda would take part and qualify that way?”

“O Great One, don’t be naive. Barracuda play in a far superior league to any local leagues. They would always receive automatic entry.”

“But don’t you see that it then appears you are giving your own team an advantage?”

“Your Highness, you will always get jealous people trying to criticise and cause trouble. Now what was the second problem?”

“Ah, yes. Your application to Mr Platini to host the 2020 Euros in the Caribbean.”

“Yes. A fantastic proposal, don’t you think, M’Lord?”

“Well, it’s certainly novel. But one of the key elements of the Euros is that they are held, well, in Europe.”

Read more ....
http://wired868.com/2012/07/01/euro-2020-is-coming-to-the-caribbean-maybe/

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 07:29:12 AM »
Didn't Antigua Barracuda fold? Antigua has a league - the two teams eligible by that criteria are SAP and Parham - last time I checked the regulations of the CFU Club Championship stipulate that every member nation has the right to one representative, and I thought (but can't find the file now, the new ones have a http error - http://www.cfufootball.org/index.php/latest-news/9290-2014-cfu-club-champions-cup-regulations) that was specifically said to be the champion of the highest competition in the country (in some it would be a cup).

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:32:12 AM »
Didn't Antigua Barracuda fold? Antigua has a league - the two teams eligible by that criteria are SAP and Parham - last time I checked the regulations of the CFU Club Championship stipulate that every member nation has the right to one representative, and I thought (but can't find the file now, the new ones have a http error - http://www.cfufootball.org/index.php/latest-news/9290-2014-cfu-club-champions-cup-regulations) that was specifically said to be the champion of the highest competition in the country (in some it would be a cup).

Tiresais, I think this is satire and was written a while ago when Gordon Derrick was President!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »

Tiresais, I think this is satire and was written a while ago when Gordon Derrick was President!

Hah indeed. The 3 American-league teams always had a guaranteed entry, which seemed a little off to me.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2026 World Cup Thread
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »
Luis Figo wants to increase WC participants. He will be running for the president post next FIFA election.

From BBC:

Luis Figo: Fifa candidate wants World Cup with 48 teams

Luis Figo would consider a bigger World Cup if he is elected to replace Sepp Blater as Fifa president.
Releasing his manifesto at Wembley Stadium, the legendary Portugal midfielder said he would look at increasing the number of teams from 32 to 40 or even 48.

Figo, 42, is one of three candidates challenging Blatter in the election on 29 May.

He also proposed sin-bins and reverting to the old offside rule interpretation.

Dutch federation president Michael van Praag and Jordanian Prince Ali bin Al Hussein are also in the running to become head of football's world governing body.

Former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter Milan winger Figo, who played at two World Cups, said on Thursday that the current format could be increased to 40 teams or Fifa could stage two 24-team competitions simultaneously on two continents, followed by a knockout phase in one nation.

He said: "Both these options are feasible with an extra three to four days of tournament play. If this expansion were to take place I believe that additional teams should come from non-European nations.

"We not only make sure that we include more countries from across the world, but also enable Fifa to raise significant increased revenues that can be used to invest in the growth of the game globally."

Figo, the 2001 Fifa world player of the year, also proposes:

Spreading half of Fifa's $2.5bn revenue over four years to associations to fund grassroots football.

Redistributing $1bn of Fifa's $1.5bn cash reserves to the 209 national federations.

Increased use of technology in the game, using sin-bins for unsporting behaviour.

Reverting back to the previous interpretation of the offside rule, "where a player is judged offside whether directly involved in the play or not".

Blatter, 78, has been Fifa boss since 1998 and said in June 2014 that he intended to run for a fifth term.

He was criticised for Fifa's handling of Michael Garcia's report into alleged corruption during the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31531664

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:35:14 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2026 World Cup Thread
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
North America emerging as leading candidate to host 2026 World Cup.
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

ZURICH -- North America became a stronger candidate to host an expanded World Cup in 2026 after the FIFA Council agreed on Friday that European and Asian nations should not bid again so soon after Russia hosts the 2018 World Cup and Qatar has the 2022 tournament.

"That has changed the landscape [of the 2026 contest] a little bit," said U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati, a council member.

FIFA said Europe would be put on standby only if "none of the received bids fulfill the strict technical and financial requirements."

That's unlikely if the United States bids as expected, either alone or together with Canada and Mexico.

FIFA favours co-hosting among regional neighbours, and a three-way bid could be more popular if the tournament grows to 40 or 48 teams under president Gianni Infantino's plans.

A decision will be made on whether to expand the tournament on Jan. 9-10, when the FIFA Council next meets in Zurich.

FIFA has targeted 2020 for its member federations to choose the 2026 host.

But Infantino, who was elected this year after promising voters a 40-team World Cup, stopped short of declaring North America as the most likely host region.

"It is still too early to say that," Infantino said. "We hope we have many bidders and we can choose ... who the best bidder is."

Still, CONCACAF, the regional body for North and Central America and the Carribean, has long been seen as the natural host for 2026, and its claim got stronger following Friday's developments. The United States was the last country in the region to stage the tournament in 1994.

"The answer is 'Sure,' it would be silly to say anything but that," Gulati said of a contest that could also include bids from Africa and South America.

CONCACAF lost out when a hosting rotation system approved during Sepp Blatter's presidency was abandoned before its scheduled turn in 2018 came around.

Back then, FIFA preferred to block continents from two World Cup bidding contests after hosting, but when statutes were updated in recent reforms, the rule said only one tournament had to be skipped.

Gulati said the new clarity in bidding would encourage an entry from the United States, which could be open to co-hosting with a neighbouring country.

"We now know some of the rules," said Gulati, FIFA's top American official. "We will look at it. We have great relationships with Canada and Mexico.

"We also have a country with 320 million people that has hosted a World Cup and with a lot of terrific stadiums and great infrastructure."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2026 World Cup Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 03:37:54 AM »
48 teams feature in World Cup 2026.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

FORMER national footballers Clayton Morris and Angus Eve have contrasting views on the decision by FIFA to increase the number of teams participating in the World Cup to 48 teams at the 2026 edition.

Yesterday, in Zurich, Switzerland FIFA members voted unanimously for the change from 32 to 48 teams. Since the World Cup began in 1930 the number of teams have increased throughout the years but the 16-team jump is the largest in the history of the tournament. At the inaugural competition in 1930, 13 countries competed, while 16 lined up in 1934, 15 in 1938 and 13 in 1950. From 1954 to 1978, 16 teams participated in the top football tournament, before 24 teams battled for World Cup glory between 1982 and 1994. Since the 1998 edition 32 nations have played in the World Cup.

In the current format, the CONCACAF region has three and a half spots in the World Cup, but the increase in teams may see CONCACAF getting six and a half spots in the World Cup.

Former Trinidad and Tobago Strike Squad captain Clayton Morris likes the move by FIFA to expand the tournament. He said, “I think it is a good incentive because every player’s dream is to play in a World Cup. They are giving everybody the opportunity to aspire to the highest level. “ Morris believes more countries will be driven to qualify for the World Cup.

“Other countries which at the moment may be lower than T&T in the FIFA standings would be all excited just as we are, which means they would step up their preparation, I know everybody would want to be on that stage so that makes it even tougher for us to get there and to maintain our level above them.” Asked if the standard of the World Cup will drop with more teams participating Morris explained, “It all depends on the domestic leagues in the different countries, if they keep to that (high) level I can’t see the World Cup standard dropping because that is what everybody would be aspiring to meet.”

Morris hopes the next generation of players would be inspired to became footballers and play at the World Cup. The former Strike Squad captain stated that with the increase in teams T&T should qualify for every World Cup from 2026 if proper planning is implemented like CONCACAF giants such as Mexcio, USA and Costa Rica.

Eve does not agree with the decision by FIFA. Eve stated, “I think it is kind of ridiculous, the players have so much football to play right now in respective clubs.

It tends to waterdown the tournament because by the time they reach the World Cup most of the players are usually tired by that time, the better players.” Eve, who believes it is a money making initiative by FIFA, said if more teams participate at the World Cup some of the countries will not be able to compete with the top football nations.

“To me the World Cup is a showpiece, you don’t want to waterdown something like that, it is every four years just as the Olympics. There is a qualifying mark that you have to get if you have to run in the Olympics so the standard of competitiveness is always maintained.

“I don’t think six CONCACAF teams could compete in a World Cup, I don’t think six African teams could compete in a World Cup. You are looking for the best teams to play so the competition would be competitive.”

Eve believes there is talent in T&T to qualify for future World Cups but the problem lies at the administrative level. “From what I am seeing from T&T, I think we definitely have ability, I think we have young players with a lot of ability and they are getting good experience on the outside (foreign leagues), but I have always said that our problem in T&T is administrative.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:56 AM »
FIFA's new 48-team format means we could see Tahiti vs Curacao! Welcome to the 2026 World Cup.
By Martin Samuel (dailymail.co.uk)

With the certainty of night following day, the members of the FIFA council voted through their wallets for a 48-team World Cup from 2026.

And now the fun begins. For the downside is not the 48th best team in the world lowering the standards at what should always be a globally representative, but elite, competition; it is the 148th.

Tahiti. The 148th-strongest team in the world but, if qualification reflected the FIFA rankings, one that could soon be a play-off away from the World Cup finals, as runners-up in the Oceania confederation. FIFA did not vote on the precise composition of their monster — let's call it the FrankenCup — because they prefer to eke out the nasty surprises, like all good horror auteurs.

But the clever money is on 16 for UEFA, nine from Africa, 8.5 from Asia, 6.5 for North and South America respectively and 1.5 for Oceania. The fractions represent play-off matches, so the lowliest qualifiers from Asia, North America, South America and Oceania would compete for two spots. And that would leave the door open for Oceania's second strongest to qualify: Tahiti.

This is not to dismiss their hard work or improvement. In 2012, Tahiti became the first country other than Australia or New Zealand to win the OFC Nations Cup — although Australia had decided they were Asian by then, so Tahiti's cup run consisted of two matches with New Caledonia and fixtures against Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands and Samoa.

They then went, by right, to the 2013 Confederations Cup, where they charmed everybody by showing tremendous spirit despite leaking 24 goals in three matches. They even scored in a 6-1 defeat by Nigeria.

And that is meritocracy in action. Tahiti were Oceania's champions. They deserved their place in Brazil just as Auckland City, Oceania's club champions, deserved their entry to the 2016 Club World Cup.

Yet what FIFA's council did on Tuesday went too far. A quarter of the planet is not a finals. Tahiti, as Oceania's second best, could end up playing the ninth strongest team in Asia — currently Qatar, 87 in the world, according to the rankings — for a place in the World Cup; or the seventh best team in North America, Curacao, ranked joint 75th. Tahiti versus Curacao. This is not a fixture that shouts elite competition. This is a holiday dilemma for windsurfers.

And it is an elite competition, the World Cup finals. The clue is in the word 'finals'. The idea that expansion is a noble aim because it gives everybody a go betrays the essence of the tournament. Yes, the World Cup should be open to all. But it is. Everybody competes from San Marino to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. But when it gets down to those late stages it should be all about the best.

That is the point of a final, in football, athletics, or any event. Only seven sprinters get to stand on the start line with Usain Bolt, because heats and semi-finals narrow the field to the most outstanding. Yes, in the heats, inferiors get their turn. But not in the final. The final is about The Best.

While attaching that claim to their latest round of overblown awards as a rebranding exercise, FIFA are ensuring the World Cup will be about the best no longer. It will welcome teams from outside the top 80, maybe the top 100, because this will guarantee more votes for president Gianni Infantino.

It will expand and expand, until China are almost certain to be in, because there is nothing FIFA love more than a dictatorship with a few quid. To argue that FIFA have not demeaned their competition is to argue that the athletes who ran a 48th best time of 10.36sec to Bolt's 9.81 had as much right to be on the start line for the Olympic 100metres final in Rio as he did.

We wish Solomon Bockarie, Vitor Hugo dos Santos and Zhang Peimeng well, but at some stage we want to see only Bolt and his genuine challengers in those eight lanes.

In 2018, there will be 14 from UEFA — including Russia as hosts — five from Africa, 4.5 from Asia and South America, 3.5 from North America and 0.5 from Oceania. It is easy to see where FIFA president Infantino is now targeting votes. Asian participation doubles despite not getting a team out of the group stage in 2014.

North America also does well having put one country in the quarter-finals since 2002, while Africa goes up from five to nine, despite providing just six of 80 knockout places in the World Cup's last five editions — including the first tournament to be held on the African continent.

In this, Infantino is no different from Sepp Blatter. He picks off confederations with glorified bribes — in this case the promise of £5.29billion in revenue and a berth at the big one even if, like China, you happen to be the 82nd best team in the world.

And this is all before we consider the travesty of the three-team group, with two progressing, which no amount of artificial rendering can overcome. The format is simple: A versus B, A versus C, B versus C. So if B and C beat A, then game three, B versus C, is a dead rubber.

And with 16 groups, there could be plenty of them. Equally, if A beats B, C beats A, then B beats C, all teams have three points. With so few matches, goal difference or goals scored might be level, too.

There is the potential for confusion on a par with Albania having to hang around at Euro 2016 only to be eliminated three days after their last game, when the third-place shake-up was calculated. Games might be decided on the toss of a coin, or a countback to qualification records. And first or second won't matter because the random nature of an overblown tournament will make knockout seeding irrelevant. In this case, three is certainly no magic number.

Already, tied games will require penalty shootouts in a bid to halt collaboration, meaning mediocre teams — and there will be plenty more of them from 2026 — can progress by playing for penalties. Anyone who saw Steaua Bucharest use that tactic to overcome Barcelona in the 1986 European Cup final will know how stultifying it can be.

'The more the merrier,' said Amaju Pinnick, president of the Nigerian Football Association. But it wasn't merry at the European Championship this summer. It was a dull, low- scoring tournament, played on the counter-attack, or between workmanlike, massed defences, the quality diluted by a bloated 24-team format. Yet as FIFA have now proved, that was only the half of it.

HOW THE NEW FORMAT WILL WORK AT THE 2026 WORLD CUP

Q: How will the group stages look?

Every team play twice in their three-team group. The top two advance to the last 32, when the knockout stages begin. Group matches ending in a draw could be decided by a penalty shootout to stop any final-game collusion.

Q: What other impact will 48 teams have?

More teams means more games. Eighty matches will take place, as opposed to the current 64. However, if a team reach the final, they will have played a total of seven matches, the same total as the current format.

Q: Where will the 2026 World Cup be held?

Not known yet, but the United States are expected to make an offer. They could be sole bidders, or come forward with a joint proposal alongside Mexico or Canada.

Q: Why did FIFA want the World Cup expanded?

Infantino vowed to increase the number of teams when he was campaigning to replace Sepp Blatter. His proposal appealed to a lot of the 211 FIFA members, many of whom do not normally qualify. Confederations outside Europe have felt disadvantaged for many years.

Q: When was the last time the World Cup was revamped?

Its inception in 1930 saw 13 countries take part. Only 16 qualified for the finals until the 1982 edition in Spain, where 24 teams competed. The current format of 32 teams has been used since the 1998 tournament in France.

Q: Who would get the extra 16 World Cup spots?

Yet to be confirmed.

One proposal could see Europe's allocation rising from 13 to 16 teams with Africa the biggest beneficiaries gaining an extra four places to nine. Asia would get 8.5 places, North and South America 6.5 each and Oceania 1.5. The half-places represent play-off spots, with the lowest qualifiers from Asia, North America, South America and Oceania battling for two places.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said: 'Confederations all have wishlists in terms of how many slots they would like. Discussions are going to take place but nothing is decided.'

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 06:01:20 AM »
With DJW and his minions we still eh making it
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 06:33:27 AM »
Nahhh that's why he hire saintfeit...he know we going 2026 :rotfl:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
There will hardly ever be two minnows playing each in this new format. With 16 groups of 3 it will be more of a combination of 1 weak team with 2 stronger teams. There may even be more death groups in the 16 as well.

My only concern is more knockout rounds, some of those games even if its two top teams turn out to be really poor. Group games tend to be a bit more open and entertaining.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
I am glad that it will be expanded. Yes, more minnows will be allow in. There will be lopsided scores, so friggin what! That is part of football. There will be upsets, I will guarantee that. But I think many of the minnows will be prepare because of the limit for margin of error. Just look at the recent 3 team tounament in TT. It was exciting, but not for us Trinis. A 3  team group will force country to prepare their teams better. The very first game for each team will be pivotal.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:56:41 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
John Williams: More teams at W/Cup positive.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The decision by the world governing body for football-FIFA, to expand the amount of teams in the World Cup to 48 has been described as a positive move for T&T, said David John-Williams, the T&T Football Association president. Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner, has however described it as foolish.

The FIFA Council unanimously decided in favour of expanding the World Cup to a 48-team competition as of 2026, following a third meeting of football’s supervisory and strategic body at the Home of FIFA in Zurich, Switzerland on January 9th and 10th. From the new format, the 48 national teams will be split into 16 groups of three, and the top two will advance to a 32-team knockout stage.

A report yesterday stated that the new 48-team format has been drawn up in such a way that there is no reduction in the overall number of rest days and a guaranteed maximum of seven matches for the teams reaching the final, while the current 32-day tournament duration is kept, so as not to increase the length of time for which clubs have to release their players.

Yesterday, John Williams said he found the change to be very interesting and positive, noting he will now look forward to what will be the allocation of teams for the Concacaf region, as well as the qualifying format.

The changes also include a merger of the CONMEBOL and the CONCACAF- the Confederation of North America, Central American and the Caribbean Football Federations.

CONMEBOL currently has four-and-a-half places for its 10 members, while CONCACAF has 35 FIFA members battling for three-and-a-half places. The local football boss refused to comment on whether he feels the merger will make it even more difficult for T&T to qualify for the World Cup, as it could face the mights or Brazil, Argentina, Uraguay, Paraguay, Chile and other top South Amnerica nations, as well as what the top teams from the CONCACAF, such as Costa Rica, USA, Mexico and Honduras among others.

According to John Williams, “We will just have to wait and see what the qualifying format will be like. I do not want to speculate what it will be, but what I do know is that we will definitely have to improve our performances on the field.” T&T are currently second from bottom in the CONCACAF qualifiers having lost both opening matches of the Final Round to Costa Rica 2-0 at home and Honduras 3-1 in San Pedro Sula.

Meanwhile, Warner believes it was foolish to expand the amount of teams in the World Cup, saying attempts should have been made to provide assistance to the weaker footballing nations first.

Warner who had provided a presence in world football’s decision-making for smaller Caribbean Football Union countries, said such a decision could not have been accepted had he been there, as he believes it will destroy the CFU. He described the decision as political.

According to Warner he cannot see any country that can host a World Cup tournament of 48 teams.

The decision came following a thorough analysis, based on a report that included four different format options, namely sporting balance, competition quality, impact on football development, infrastructure, projections on financial position and the consequences for event delivery.

The Council is set to discuss further details regarding the competition, including the slot allocation per confederation at its next meeting.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »
I don't think Conmebol and Concacaf should merge. If Mexico, US, CR want to go that is their choice.

Meanwhile, Warner believes it was foolish to expand the amount of teams in the World Cup, saying attempts should have been made to provide assistance to the weaker footballing nations first.

Shut your arse, you had 20 yrs to do that and you and your buddies tief the money.

According to Warner he cannot see any country that can host a World Cup tournament of 48 teams.

Shut your arse again. Japan and Korea co-hosted. Why can't US and Mex, or US and Canada, or US, Canada, Mex host it. Britain can co-host. France and Italy. Spain and Portugal. Sweden, Denmark, Norway. Argentina and Uraguay. Colombia, Euador and possibly Venezuela. Ghana and Nigeria. China by itself. You vex you not in the money pit again.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
I don't know why journalism is so bad in T&T.

They reporting that concacaf/conmebol merger as fact when it is pure speculation at this point because the slot allocation as well as qualifying procedure is yet to be worked out.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
I don't know why journalism is so bad in T&T.

They reporting that concacaf/conmebol merger as fact when it is pure speculation at this point because the slot allocation as well as qualifying procedure is yet to be worked out.

The same can be said for management and admin

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
If concacaf and conmebol merge we goose cook, weaker SA teams like Venezuela and Boliva will stand a chance of qualifying before us.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »
If concacaf and conmebol merge we goose cook, weaker SA teams like Venezuela and Boliva will stand a chance of qualifying before us.

Cfu needs two and a half spots

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 05:02:30 AM »
Yorke has mixed views on expanded World Cup.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Former national captain Dwight Yorke was in esteemed company in Zurich as he joined the likes of Diego Maradona and FIFA President Gianni Infantino for a mini-tournament at the FIFA head quarters featuring some of the best players to ever play the game.

Yorke was involved with the likes of Gabriel Batistuta, Carles Puyol, David Trezeguet, Eric Abidal, Marco Van Basten, Marcel Desailly and Women’s Player of the Year, American Carli Lloyd.

Yorke among all the ex-stars were guests at the Best FIFA football awards on Monday.

While in Zurich, Yorke took the opportunity to comment on the expansion of the FIFA World Cup to 48 teams.

“My biggest concern is that I don’t want the competition to have that loss of cutting edge, that sort of excitement,” he said.

“Everyone wants a piece of the pie and it is great to see but at the same time we need to make sure and safeguard that the football is the same quality that is aspired (to) and people expect to see when the World Cup comes around,” said Yorke.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
Gulati says U.S. WC bid 'secondary' to President Trump immigration ban
BY DOUG MCINTYRE (ESPN).

SAN DIEGO -- U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said on Sunday that the American federation still hasn't decided whether it will bid for the 2026 World Cup, while adding that he's taking a wait-and-see approach to how President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration might impact the potential bid.

"Sports obviously involves international movement and free movement of players, of ideas," Gulati told a small group of reporters at half-time of the U.S. men's national team's scoreless tie in a friendly match against Serbia.

"How this plays out in terms of international events, I think that's frankly a secondary issue right now. The issue involving the executive order and its implications are far broader than that."

Gulati declined to comment when asked if the United States Soccer Federation had a public stance on the highly controversial order, which temporarily bans entry to the U.S. of all refugees and most visitors from seven majority Muslim countries and sparked protests throughout the country and criticism from some governments around the world.

But Gulati also said he had no problem with U.S. captain Michael Bradley, who slammed Trump on Saturday in a message posted to his Instagram account, voicing his opinion.

Bradley wrote: "When Trump was elected, I only hoped that the President Trump would be different from the campaigner Trump [and] that the xenophobic, misogynistic and narcissistic rhetoric would be replaced by a more humble and measured approach to leading our country. I was wrong. The Muslim ban is just the latest example of someone who couldn't be more out of touch with our country."

Of the Bradley post, Gulati said: "I saw Michael's comments yesterday and they were clearly heartfelt. Absolutely no issue whatsoever."

As for if the current political climate in the country could influence whether the U.S. bids for the 2026 competition alone or along with one or both of North American neighbors Mexico and Canada, Gulati said the federation would continue to consider its options.

Earlier this month, FIFA approved the expansion of the competition from 32 to 48 teams in 2026, and FIFA president Gianni Infantino has said repeatedly that he's open to having two or more countries co-host the planet's biggest sporting event.

"We haven't made any commitments about '26," Gulati said. "The rules still haven't been completely clarified, although more of them are now known in terms of numbers of teams, joint bids, but the process is still very much up in the air. Until we know more about that we'll sit tight.

"We're challenged by a number of things that are going on in the world. So let's see how those play out over the next few weeks before we make any decision about co-hosting or going alone or bidding at all."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 04:53:32 PM »
It appears to be a tri-country bid. Mexi-Can-USA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/16/fifa-wants-shared-2026-world-cup-the-u-s-mexico-and-canada-already-were-planning-on-it/?utm_term=.5c9739449f37#comments

Soccer leaders in the United States, Mexico and Canada already were talking about a joint bid for the 2026 World Cup, so they likely were well prepared for FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s announcement Thursday that FIFA will encourage bidders for soccer’s biggest tournament to partner up.

“We will encourage co-hosting for the World Cup because we need FIFA to show we are reasonable and we have to think about sustainability long-term,” Infantino said, per Reuters. “[We could] … maybe bring together two, three, four countries who can jointly present a project with three, four, five stadiums each. We will certainly encourage it. Ideally the countries will be close to each other.”

The idea that one nation should host large sporting events like the World Cup or the Olympics has come under question of late considering the staggering costs associated with building facilities that become underused once the event ends. In Brazil, which hosted the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics, a number of publicly financed facilities built for those events already have fallen into a state of disrepair because of local arguments over who will maintain them. Sharing events such as the World Cup or Olympics would lessen the financial blow for countries that want to host.

With its neighbors as partners or not, the United States seems well positioned to host the 2026 World Cup with numerous stadiums already in place. Plus, the consensus is that it’s North America’s turn to host the event again. Countries in the European and Asian soccer federations are forbidden from bidding on the 2026 World Cup because they will have hosted the two previous tournaments, and the event was last held in North America in 1994.

“I think any one of the countries could probably put on a good show on their own,” Victor Montagliani, president of the North American soccer federation, said of the United States, Mexico and Canada in January. “But I think there seems to be a prevailing thought that a confederation-type bid with multiple hosts is probably good for football.”

The idea of a shared major soccer tournament hardly is new, either. Japan and South Korea co-hosted what was regarded as a successful World Cup in 2002, and the European Championship has been shared by multiple countries three times in the past. It will be held in 13 cities in 13 countries in 2020.

“It’s a good idea, and Europe has of course previously worked in this way on the European Championships,” Swedish FA chair Karl-Erik Nilsson told Reuters. “We are used to it and it works well, it makes it possible for more countries to arrange [tournaments], and in that way it is positive.”

The host or, more likely, hosts of the 2026 World Cup will be announced in 2020. It will be the first World Cup with 48 teams after FIFA voted to expand the tournament from 32 last month.

1]; } ?>