June 17, 2024, 07:37:44 AM

Author Topic: 2026 World Cup Thread  (Read 17177 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2026 World Cup Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2024, 03:46:47 PM »
@Peong, I feel that Andre Raymond have a crap foot agent. Andre Raymond was playing 4th division Portugal. He clearly above that league. He should be playing on the CPL at least. If he goes into the CPL, I guarantee his presence will be felt just like Reon.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2024, 08:08:12 AM »
Woodley, Gilbert, Spicer in Eve's 39-man provisional squad
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

National coach Angus Eve has picked a 39-man provisional squad that sees call-ups for Dantaye Gilbert (Jong - PSV), Tyrese Spicer (Toronto FC), and Steffen Yeates (Pacific FC), as well as several players who created a stir at the last two international friendly encounters with Guyana at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

They include veteran marksman Kevon 'Showtime' Woodley and Ezekiel Kasar of Point Fortin Civic. The squad will be used to prepare for the coming matches against Grenada on June 5 and the Bahamas on June 8 in the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.

Eve only a day ago received news of Honduras being his opponent in the Concacaf Nations League on September 6 away, with French Guiana also being a counterpart four days later on September 10. Eve's charges will then face Cuba in two matches away and at home on October 10 and 14 in Group B.

Eve, when asked for his thoughts on the group he described it as tricky.

"I wanted to play Jamaica actually because you know what happened to us in the Concacaf Gold Cup, so we're a bit sore with that, but we wanted to be back in the 'A' League so we wanted to play these types of games. You could imagine an opportunity to play them at home at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the people really want to come out and see the Jamaicans and see how we match up against them because they think that we are a different team than the one in the Gold Cup," Eve said yesterday.

According to Eve- " Honduras, good unit, well coached and I think they're in transition, kind of like us. They're not a team to take lightly at all, these Central American teams are very competitive and you look at French Guiana. We played them at the Gold Cup and beat them on penalties and they had guys in the team who played with Paris St Germain and that kind of thing, so they're still going to have these types of players coming into the group, so it would be a tricky match for us."

"And then Cuba, you see what they did at the Gold Cup, they're an extremely competitive unit and we have to play them twice, so they're a very tricky team, but we want to be here, we want to be playing these games and these games are going to get us back to where we want to be," Eve noted.

The Soca Warriors will carry the burden of a World Cup qualifying spot which has been made easier by the World Cup being hosted in the Concacaf region by Canada, USA, and Mexico. Eve will have a busy schedule with his players having to contest the Nations League and the World Cup Qualifiers.

This he also described as tricky for his charges. " Based on how it is stretched out, it's going to be a tricky one because I keep saying that we don't get the time to expose players. Anytime we play, it's a tournament scenario, but if we can get the opportunity to expose players in the Nations League we will but we do not want to come out of the 'A' League so it's very tricky."

"If you continue to play the players, they're playing at their clubs, they're coming back to play, they're doing a lot of traveling to play for the national team, so we want to limit the amount of flying so the nations league team may be a little bit different, but still trying to maintain our position in the 'A' League while trying to qualify for the Gold Cup."

PROVISIONAL SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Denzil Smith (Club Sando), Aaron Enill (Prison FC), Christopher Biggette (Defence Force), Adrian Foncette (Miscellaneous Police FC);

Defenders: Aubrey David (CS Cartagines—Costa Rica), Alvin Jones, Robert Primus (both Miscellaneous Police FC), Isaiah Garcia, Justin Garcia (both Defence Force), Josiah Trimmingham (Montego Bay Utd—Jamaica), Shannon Gomez (San Antonio FC—USA), Andre Raymond (unattached), Jesse Williams (Chattanooga FC—USA), Sheldon Bateau (SK Beveren—Belgium), Leland Archer (Charleston Battery—USA), Triston Hodge (Hartford Athletic—USA), Ross Russell (Terminix La Horquetta Rangers);

Midfielders: Duane Muckette, Michel Poon-Angeron (both AC Port of Spain), Kevon Goddard (Defence Force), Andre Rampersad (HFX Wanderers—Canada), Kristian Lee Him (Eskilstuna—Sweden), Matthew Woo Ling (Defence Force), Noah Powder (Northern Colorado Hailstorm—USA), Dantaye Gilbert (Jong PSV—Netherlands), Steffen Yeates (Pacific FC—Canada), Molik Khan (Minnesota Utd II—USA), Daniel Phillips (St Johnstone FC—Scotland), Ajani Fortune (Atlanta United—USA);

Attackers: Kaile Auvray, Nathaniel James (both Mount Pleasant FC—Jamaica), Real Gill (Northern Colorado Hailstorm—USA), Reon Moore (Pacific FC—Canada), Malcolm Shaw (Cavalry FC—Canada), Levi Garcia (AEK Athens—Greece), Tyrese Spicer (Toronto FC—Canada), Ezekiel Kesar (Point Fortin Civic), Kevon Woodley (Morvant Caledonia Utd), Ryan Telfer (HFX Wanderers—Canada).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2024, 12:43:32 PM »
Angus other countries have players flying back also.. He should just shut his mouth ... Exposing Exposing Exposing players 🤧
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2024, 07:23:07 PM »
Eve hopes Soca Warriors stay fit for World Cup qualifiers
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

HEAD coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men's senior football team Angus Eve is keeping his fingers crossed that his players will remain fit ahead of the first Fifa World Cup qualifier against Grenada with players lining up for their clubs just days before the qualifier.

T&T will play Grenada at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on June 5 at 7.30 pm. On June 8, T&T will then play The Bahamas away from home.

A 39-member provisional squad was named on Friday.

Speaking to the T&T Football Association media, Eve said, "These 39 (players) are the ones we think...can give us the best chance to start off on a positive head and try to win these two matches and start off with six points in the qualifiers, one game at a time."

Eve is hoping to start a camp between Saturday and June 3. He said it is difficult to start before as players will be unavailable because of club football.

The head coach is hoping none of his players get injured. Many of the foreign-based players are active, while many of the locally-based players will play in the First Citizens Cup Knockout final between AC Port of Spain and Defence Force on Wednesday at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo at 8 pm.

Eve said, "Players' safety (is a concern) and all these kinds of things. It is terrible that the window starts on the 3rd (of June) and we have to play on the 5th, so players have to travel on the 3rd, most of the players. On the 1st and 2nd we still have players playing matches outside. We have the locally-based players playing in a final this coming week, a couple days before the game. We still have to look and see who will come through those games unscathed."

A few players have received first-time call-ups including Tyrese Spicer, Dantaye Gilbert and Steffen Yeates.

"Young Spicer has been doing tremendously well for Toronto FC," Eve said. He wanted Spicer and another upcoming player Wayne Fredericks II, who was not named on the squad, to play earlier this year. "We did try to get him and Fredericks for the two Jamaica friendlies (in early March)...but he (Spicer) had an injury at that point in time and also Fredericks had an injury in that time, so we never got them. It is a delight for us to actually have the opportunity to call him (Spicer) up. He has been doing very well for his club."

Speaking about Canadian-based Yeates, Eve said, "We have been behind Steffen Yeates since last October. There were some administrative issues...but we think we are very close (to sorting out his documents), so we wanted to put him in the training squad, so just in case that his documents come through he will be already in the squad. We have really been having good conversations with him."

Eve did not want to call up Netherlands-based Gilbert right away. "We have been following Dantaye...the tricky thing about these things is that when a young player goes to Europe you want him to settle in at his club first before you drag him out of his club. If he stays over there for three, four months and get in the system and get in the training that they have out there...if they could do that quality training in that high-intensity environment then he is going to be better for us when he comes back to the national team."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2024, 08:03:15 PM »
Hislop: A World Cup return for Trinidad and Tobago would be heaven
FIFA.com

Trinidad and Tobago’s lone appearance at a FIFA World Cup™ came at Germany 2006 when the Caribbean nation captured the imagination of neutrals in going toe-to-toe with European powers Sweden and England.

At the centre of it all was goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, a late injury replacement for the team’s opener against a Zlatan Ibrahimovic-led Sweden, who dazzled in goal to secure a point in his country’s first ever World Cup match.

Now, 18 years later, Hislop works as a pundit for ESPN, appearing across the company’s signature football studio show, ESPN FC, and other programming. He still keeps close tabs on football in Trinidad and Tobago and the current state of the national team, which begins qualifying on 5 June against Grenada.

Hislop spoke to FIFA about Trinidad and Tobago’s upcoming qualifying campaign, along with some cherished memories from Germany 2006.

FIFA: How are you feeling about Trinidad and Tobago going into qualifying?

Shaka Hislop: I feel as though we are getting there, and with our games against Grenada and Bahamas, we should get through those comfortably. When I say comfortably, I mean we should win those. Whether we are in a position to be beating some of the smaller Caribbean countries by four or five, as was once the expectation, I’m not sure, but I think we should win those.

What’s your assessment of the team's progress under coach Angus Eve?

I’ll put it as a work in progress. We have always been drawn to more attacking, more flair-oriented football and this team has been fairly pragmatic. That being said, my own experience in football says that if you want to build a winning team, you start with the defence, so that maybe plays into Angus’ plan and what we hope is a successful World Cup qualifying campaign.

Which current players stand out to you?

The young goalkeeper that we have, Denzil Smith, I think he’s simply outstanding. I’ve seen him play five games and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with everything that I see from him. I think he’s an incredible talent. Without question he’s the brightest we’ve seen at that position in the last 15 years, so we have the makings of a good team with a solid defensive set that we can build from.

Would you like to see Trinidad and Tobago include heritage players?

While FIFA recognises people with grandparents who are citizens of countries as being eligible to play for that country, in local terms, unless you have a parent born in Trinidad and Tobago, you don’t qualify. That puts us behind the 8-ball in terms of at least another generation of players being eligible where maybe we could find some of that attacking talent we need. But I think there is a bigger picture to this. I think having the wider diaspora be recognised as full Trinidad and Tobago citizens has a greater knock-on effect than just sport. I think it can prove a boost to the economy in terms of people coming back and buying property, setting up businesses or investing in Trinidad and Tobago without some of those red tape hurdles that they now have to navigate.

Let’s talk a walk down memory lane. When I mention Germany 2006, what immediately comes to mind?

Just the mention of it gives me goosebumps. I played 15 years of professional football, 10 of those in the Premier League, and the summer of 2006 was easily the highlight of my career. As careers go and as things happen, there is no better way for me to walk away from the game than at that level.

10 June 2006, World Cup opener against Sweden. Kelvin Jack was slotted to start as goalkeeper, but then what happened?

I knew Kelvin was carrying an injury, but I thought he’d be able to make it. As Kelvin is warming up, he walks by me and says something and I thought he said he couldn’t make it, but I wasn’t 100-per-cent sure what he said. I focused on him as he walked up to [head coach] Leo Beenhakker. I’m about 20-25 yards away, so I’m not sure what was being said, they have a short exchange and then Leo looks at me and calls me over and asks, 'Are you ready?' and I say, 'Yeah, I’m ready for this.'

Do you ever go back and watch that Sweden game?

There isn’t a lot about the game that I remember and I avoid the highlights as much as I can… I’ve never watched the match all the way through. I’ve maybe seen bits. World Cup 2006 is still my fairy tale. I feel like if I go back and watch it all over again, all of the sudden it becomes real, and I kind of like it as a fairy tale.

You nearly got a similar result against England. What’s your recollection of that contest?

We nearly got it. It was a David Beckham cross deep into the far post and Peter Crouch got up over Brent Sancho. The way he towered over Brent, I knew something wasn’t right. Brent had competed with him all day long. He clearly has a height advantage over Brent, but Brent was really clever in how he played Peter and then all of the sudden Peter beat him easily, and so something wasn’t right…. If only we had VAR back then! (laughs) For all the people who don’t like VAR, I wish we had it in 2006. Maybe we would be telling a different story.

What would Trinidad and Tobago qualifying for the World Cup mean to you?

I would be able to go to my footballing heaven a happy man. I experienced it as a player and it was a fairy tale, it was surreal, it was every adjective you care to throw at it, but I want to go back as a fan. I last put on the colours in June 2006 and have remained a fan ever since. I would love to go experience the fan zones, mingle with fans from other countries and be able to talk about Trinidad and Tobago in the way that I see it and with the pride that I feel about home.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2024, 12:59:27 PM »
Squad picked . I am baffled how Gill made  this team with hardly any playing time ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2024, 06:26:51 PM »
Any reason given for Spicer's absence?

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2024, 06:52:51 PM »
@peong...Herdman said Tyrese is going to use the break to rehab a niggling injury, even though he continues to play for Toronto (started again today).
I think Herdman (The Paymaster) has a valid point though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My unabashed excitement and optimism from Angus' provisional squad carries over to the final squad selected for the Grenada/Bahamas games.

Like Angus finally getting a clue with his selections!

No Bateau, Jesse, Primus and Russell Jr., not surprising at all.
Triston has to be pulled square and counselled on his annoying tendency to talk to the officials...once Raymond is fit though it shouldn't matter.

This may be the BEST midfield that Angus has ever selected since he's been in charge.

No surprise in the forwards selected, didn't think Auvray would make it, Malcolm Shaw benefits from Tyrese's absence, he better talk to Real Gill to find out how to shield the football the way a national footballer should.

It is now virtually impossible for Angus to mess up the staring 11...I foresee two victories in these two games, and I have been Angus' BIGGEST critic. :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 07:13:10 PM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2024, 07:24:07 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago squad

Goalkeepers: Denzil Smith (Club Sando), Aaron Enill (Prison FC), Christopher Biggette (Defence Force),

Defenders: Aubrey David (CS Cartagines—Costa Rica), Alvin Jones (Miscellaneous Police FC), Justin Garcia (Defence Force), Josiah Trimmingham (Montego Bay Utd—Jamaica), Shannon Gomez (San Antonio FC—USA), Andre Raymond (unattached), Triston Hodge (Hartford Athletic—USA),

Midfielders: Michel Poon-Angeron, Duane Muckette (both AC Port of Spain), Andre Rampersad (HFX Wanderers—Canada), Noah Powder (Northern Colorado Hailstorm—USA), Dantaye Gilbert (Jong PSV—Netherlands), Steffen Yeates (Pacific FC—Canada), Daniel Phillips (St Johnstone FC—Scotland), Ajani Fortune (Atlanta United—USA),

Attackers: Nathaniel James (Mount Pleasant FC—Jamaica), Real Gill (Northern Colorado Hailstorm—USA), Reon Moore (Pacific FC—Canada), Malcolm Shaw (Cavalry FC—Canada), Levi Garcia (AEK Athens—Greece), Kevon Woodley (Morvant Caledonia Utd), Ryan Telfer (HFX Wanderers—Canada).

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2024, 01:26:21 PM »
Fun fact:
Luke Singh (Ottawa) vs Telfer and Rampersad ( Halifax) live as we speak, Hfx leading 1-0 in 56 th minute.
The Ottawa team is 1st place in the league, Hfx is in last place.
Telfer and Rampy called up but still no Singh.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2024, 03:48:34 PM »
Singh has the ability to play as a CB and on the side. He should have been included.

I advocated for the coach. Now I'm questioning his selections. I hope he proves me wrong.

Offline Marcus868

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2024, 06:33:14 AM »
Fun fact:
Luke Singh (Ottawa) vs Telfer and Rampersad ( Halifax) live as we speak, Hfx leading 1-0 in 56 th minute.
The Ottawa team is 1st place in the league, Hfx is in last place.
Telfer and Rampy called up but still no Singh.

Glad we have players that we could look at and I know that Luke Singh is starting on the 1st place team in Canada right now, but non biasedly.... have you really seen him play??  :-\ ::) ::) He is similar to watching HACKSLOW for Oakland Roots, God alone knows how or why they there. I'm sure he would learn and improve, but he too sus to make the team now.

Offline Marcus868

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2024, 06:37:57 AM »
Singh has the ability to play as a CB and on the side. He should have been included.

I advocated for the coach. Now I'm questioning his selections. I hope he proves me wrong.

I always question this coach also, but Singh I think could chill out a lilbit, maybe one for later on, my question is why Judah Garcia home playing football in Point and we call Steffan Yeates in the 25 (who is a great player and I hope he makes our team soon, he would add flare and flavor to our midfield, but if I'm not mistaken his paperwork still not cleared for him to play for Trinidad). And well I understand coach wants to right the wrongs of the past and give showtime a run out, but why not KESAR?  ??? ???

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2024, 08:02:21 AM »
Singh can read the game and is skilled. I agree he is slow, but a Center Defensive player does not have to be the fastest player or defender on the field. His ability to win, control and distribute from that position is the primary requirement. However, on an additional note, his lack of speed handles opposing forwards in CPL, true it ain’t MLS, but what they’re are tortoises ? You remember speedy Lawrence and Andrew’s, Carlos putting clamp on Zlatan. Lalas shutting down an inform Yorke. There is place and time for players with ability in spite of certain liabilities, that’s why it’s a team sport.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2024, 10:14:22 AM »
I guess Bateau has fallen off a bit? How many center backs we have in that squad, 3?

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2024, 10:43:32 AM »
@Marcus868... you had me laughing with the HACKSLOW ;D

Maybe Judah not up to international football fitness? I don't know eh, I'm just speculating, cause he wasn't even in the provisional 39.
I understand the (possible :)) south bias for Kesar,  but I think he'll get his chance...he might replace Woodley as qualification goes on, unless Leacock jump een before him?

On the topic of Singh though, we really have to baby-step Angus, he finally see that men like Hackshaw, Jesse, Goddard et al, while tidy footballers are probably not international footballers, so Singh will eventually his chance.
Angus trusted Singh enough to start him against the US in GC '23 and bring him on against St Kitts, but he couldn't make the 39 prov? Granted IMFO the only person he could replace in the 26 is Triston Hodge, Angus not getting rid of David or Alvin, and Trimmingham deserves to be there.

So there's hope for Kesar and Singh :)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2024, 12:39:45 PM »
Eve names 25-man Soca Warrior squad for June 5 World Cup qualifier
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

VETERAN Morvant Caledonia FC striker Kevon ‘Showtime’ Woodley, Netherlands-based midfielder Dantaye Gilbert and Canadian-based Steffen Yeates have been selected to Angus Eve’s 25-man squad ahead of the June 5 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Grenada at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

Woodley, 37, received his first senior team call-up for two recent friendly internationals against Guyana on May 13 and 15. He scored in both matches which Trinidad and Tobago won 2-1 and 2-0. These goals, perhaps, affirmed him a spot in Eve’s final selection.

Woodley, however, is no stranger to national colours having represented in futsal and is T&T’s leading goal-scorer in beach soccer.

Additionally, Dutch-based midfielder Gilbert, 19, who plies his trade with Jong PSV, is expected to bring a different but welcome dynamic to the setup.

Yeates, 24, represented Canada at previous youth tournaments but has committed his senior career to the red, white and black. He plays for Pacific FC in the Canadian Premier League but has never featured for TT. On their inclusion to the senior team at such a critical stage, Eve said, “Age (Woodley) is not a factor. Sometimes we move players and they get upset and say different things. But I’ve always said age is not a factor. Kevon, in the last two seasons, came second behind Nathaniel James in goal-scoring.

“In this season, he’s the top scorer in the league. He deserved an opportunity, we gave him that chance and he scored two in both matches we had, and was one of the best performers in the two games against a decent Guyana team. It warranted his selection to the group. “

He confirmed that Yeates’ father is Trinidadian and they’ve been in close contact since October 2023.

“He’s committed to us earlier this year. His papers are finalising and we should have his papers in time so that he could be part of the squad on June 5.”

Notable omissions from T&T’s World Cup qualifier team are Toronto FC wingback Tyrese Spicer, Mount Pleasant Academy’s (Jamaica) Kaile Auvray and seasoned Belgian-based defender Sheldon Bateau.

Despite being named in Eve’s 39-man provisional squad, Spicer was left out because of a niggling injury while Auvray has not been getting minutes for Mount Pleasant.

“Kaile hardly played in his league and his confidence is not where it ought to be. We had several conversations and we’re hoping things will change for him so that we can use him in future games. He understands.

“Tyrese’s club said they’ve been dealing with some injury issues with him and they will prefer at this point in time that he stay back with them. They have a bit of a mid-season break where they think they could do some more work on his foot and we are in support of him. The young man being the best that he can be and if at this point in this time, the club feels that this is best for him we have to support him.”

Also making the final cut were AEK Athens forward Levi Garcia, while captain and defender Aubrey David, midfielder Andre Rampersad and winger Reon Moore gear up for the June 5 test. Joining them are Canadian-based attackers Malcolm Shaw and Ryan Telfer.

Eve said most of his Canadian-based players will join the team two days before the qualifier, since they play club matches on June 2, and travel to T&T the next morning. This means those players will rest on June 3, and have one full-squad training session on June 4.

Currently, 15 locally-based players are in-training in Trinidad, as they await the arrival of their foreign-based teammates.

On his first World Cup campaign as coach, Eve said he’s taking it “very seriously”.

“This is the beginning of something very big for us. In the last couple of World Cup campaigns, we didn’t do as well as we think we should have done. We’re looking to right some of those wrongs. The guys are well motivated to play.

“We have some challenges with players playing up to June 2, the day the (FIFA) window actually starts, and then travel. But we have dealt with these adversities before and I think we’re going into the campaign, all things equal, with a good squad of players, with a good mindset and trying to make the country proud again.”

T&T 25-man team for June 5 World Cup Qualifier

Goalkeepers: Denzil Smith (Club Sando), Aaron Enill (Prison FC), Christopher Biggette (Defence Force)

Defenders: Aubrey David (CS Cartagines—Costa Rica), Alvin Jones (Miscellaneous Police FC), Justin Garcia (Defence Force), Josiah Trimmingham (Montego Bay Utd—Jamaica), Shannon Gomez (San Antonio FC—USA), Andre Raymond (unattached), Triston Hodge (Hartford Athletic—USA)

Midfielders: Michel Poon-Angeron, Duane Muckette (both AC Port of Spain), Andre Rampersad (HFX Wanderers—Canada), Noah Powder (Northern Colorado Hailstorm—USA), Dantaye Gilbert (Jong PSV—Netherlands), Steffen Yeates (Pacific FC—Canada), Daniel Phillips (St Johnstone FC—Scotland), Ajani Fortune (Atlanta United—USA)

Attackers: Nathaniel James (Mount Pleasant FC—Jamaica), Real Gill (Northern Colorado Hailstorm—USA), Reon Moore (Pacific FC—Canada), Malcolm Shaw (Cavalry FC—Canada), Levi Garcia (AEK Athens—Greece), Kevon Woodley (Morvant Caledonia Utd), Ryan Telfer (HFX Wanderers—Canada)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2024, 05:13:22 AM »
Soca Warriors skipper Aubrey David: Total team effort needed to realise World Cup ‘dream’
By Roger Seepersad (T&T Express)

There is hunger, desire and belief in the Soca Warriors’ ranks ahead of their World Cup qualifying campaign.

And skipper Aubrey David said his players are keen on sending a message when they face Grenada in their first Group B match, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, tomorrow.

David, addressing the media ahead of the team’s training session at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella, yesterday, said all the players, as well as the coaching staff, share a similar vision of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup and he emphasised that it would take a total team effort to realise that dream.

“I think the team is very excited and geared up for this World Cup campaign. This is the first World Cup campaign for a lot of players and it is just for us to get off on the right foot, God spare life, and hit the ground running and send a message to the group,” David said yesterday.

“It doesn’t get bigger than the World Cup as everyone knows. This is the dream. As coach (Angus Eve) said, it has been a process and we have been playing games over the last few years (as part of that process) and we have been making significant improvement and I think it is just for us to now take one game at a time and go step by step, but I think the guys are motivated and ready to go,” he added.

David wants T&T to get off on the right track and that entails more than just scoring goals. “I think we want to get off on the right foot but not just scoring goals, we want a total effort from the team,” the T&T captain said.

“The more we keep them out, the more we give our attackers a chance and we’ve been scoring goals. The attackers have been in good form and goals can come from different places,” adding, “I just think we’re not going to put all the pressure on the attackers.”

He continued: “We need a whole team effort. We need to defend well, manage the game well, and also score some goals so we can send the right message to the group and we can get off on the right foot.”

Asked if the team was comfortable with the plans they have set for their opponents, David said: “It has been happening since we played in the Nations League. The majority of the squad, the core of the squad, already know the game plan and the ideas of the coach, so it is just to pass it on to the younger players and newcomers.

“We have seen that we have had significant improvement so obviously it means we have bought into the ideas of the coach and we just continue to build on it and be disciplined and take it step by step,” he explained.

Asked what it will mean for T&T to make it back to the World Cup, David believes it will lift the nation.

“We all know qualifying for a World Cup can help the country and we already know the violent situation and the negative energy we have around the nation and I think qualifying for a World Cup can lift us as a nation,” he reiterated.

“We can bring love to many communities and it can help us on the whole, not just footballing-wise but as a country,” David concluded.

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2024, 10:07:38 AM »
My problem with the squad is the age at certain positions and the forward thinking.
If the goal is truly the 2026 WC, how are we moving with an older squad. A 37 year old debutant? At the potential WC, he’s 39…with all due respect, he isn’t Lebron so let’s be real with ourselves.

You have defenders in their mid thirties who will be late 30’s by WC time. There are defenders who are younger, playing higher level and will set T&T up for longer term success. You can’t bring them in to play Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador when you had the opportunity to bring them in now. A player training at higher levels (not even playing) will bring more to the table than players in a local league.

Why not bring in a young Luke Singh for these games. I know Eve is wants to give locals the opportunity but need players playing at high levels to truly compete at qualifying for this WC. No Canada, US and Mexico is the chance to go for it.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2024, 01:42:28 PM »
Everybody who follows we football knows Angus clueless, so we have to lower expectations?
It took him THREE years to figure out Hackshaw should not be playing for the national team, and also that Bateau cannot make a simple accurate five yard pass?

Aubrey, will be 35, Justin will be 31 and Alvin will be 32 in 2026, those are the only old men in defense.

I'm guessing he will call Luke Singh eventually...again, is Angus we dealing with so who knows?

37-year old Woodley will be replaced by Tyrese Spicer (or someone else) by June next year when qualification resumes. By then the team might look different?

We going for six points in these two games, hopefully Levi watched Bongo Leacock against AC POS and can put the ball in de people goal :)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2024, 02:01:13 PM »
Asking from now, any potential links for the game tomorrow?

And for peeps who find links closer to game time, hit we up with it please?

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2024, 08:06:10 PM »
The issue is that’s half of your backline right there at that age. Who coming to replace them and how will they get integrated into the team and setup? Why not do that now? And I know you saying Angus is a mad man, but even a mad man can see somethings!

Woodley just ain’t making sense to me. Why not bring in a youth man from the TT pro league. Woodley is not going and do a thing as the games get better and tighter. And it’s not no Woodley hate, it’s just honesty in my view.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2024, 10:53:44 PM »
You're crazy, bro. Woodley is a good addition to the team. He has good composure on the football and in front of goal.  Here's a link to a YouTube video of a player called Roger Milla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJ0Zujnax0

Offline Marcus868

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2024, 05:48:08 AM »
You're crazy, bro. Woodley is a good addition to the team. He has good composure on the football and in front of goal.  Here's a link to a YouTube video of a player called Roger Milla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJ0Zujnax0

Bro, STOP IT ONE TIME......  :rotfl: :rotfl: you not going to start a comparison with showtime and ROGER MILLA!!!! Coach giving him these few games now because he deserving and he'll have a special moment to remember... this is not further than that... (well it Angus so we could only hope good sense prevails).

Offline Marcus868

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2024, 05:53:26 AM »
The issue is that’s half of your backline right there at that age. Who coming to replace them and how will they get integrated into the team and setup? Why not do that now? And I know you saying Angus is a mad man, but even a mad man can see somethings!

Woodley just ain’t making sense to me. Why not bring in a youth man from the TT pro league. Woodley is not going and do a thing as the games get better and tighter. And it’s not no Woodley hate, it’s just honesty in my view.

the age of our team will always come up and it brings Angus' scouting skills or team into question... we here in this group have found so many young players but he waits till ppl are late 20s (sometimes late 30s) to let them make a national appearance... there's a lot of scouting improvements that need to be made. Egs.. Stern John's son is 21 (I think) a defender, but we never heard much about him. Tino Quamina is probably 20 now, Kahlil John - Wentworth 23 ... but these men will never get called until they almost 30 and thats hopeful... under this administration.

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2024, 07:30:12 AM »
 Craziness! You just named 4 ppl that should be here! These men have trained at higher levels than some of these current players have played at. Makes no sense.
 I was watching some USL championship and there’s a starting CB for the 1st place New Mexico United squad who is Trini. Tony Herbert. You telling me the current squad has talent at the back who can out play Stern Son, Herbert or any of the players you’ve named?
This is one of the factors holding back T&T football. WC 2026 is a larger pool and no US, Mexico or Canada. Push needs to start from yesterday!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2024, 09:18:29 AM »
sorry. I would be using hushed voices if advocating for a New Mexico United man in my world cup squad, unless he winning MOM performances virtually every game.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2024, 10:18:28 AM »
Tony Herbert has played for us before. I never see him play but if he competent bring him.

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2024, 01:10:02 PM »
Kounty - But we have men from Unattached FC and police FC and Montego Bay Utd in the squad? Talk sense nah. We also have a 37 year old in d squad. Of a man playing 3rd division in India I taking him over a 37 year old debutant.
A man playing for ABC FC playing at a higher level than unattached FC. Steupssssss

Peong - there’s too many competent players missing out. How we taking so many pro league players when there are players training at a higher level than what the pro league games look like. Madness.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2024, 01:38:39 PM »
@kounty “hushed tones”🤣🤣🤣🤣

@biga84

Respectfully eh, but you’re coming across as a man who doesn’t really follow the national team. Listen to them others who been up on team for a minute.

Men tell yuh about Eve’s incompetence but you’re determined to say your piece — and that’s fine — but EVERYTHING hinges on THE COACH…so unless you have a direct line to Eve???

And bredda I see yuh mention Montego Bay in your comment, do you know plays for them and is on this current team? I feel you do not know who that player is🙂

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 01:50:48 PM by Fyzoman »

1]; } ?>