April 28, 2024, 03:01:50 PM

Author Topic: Nizam Mohammed Thread  (Read 21931 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nizam a serial politician—Rowley
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »
The news we have been waiting for.....Winer boy Max revoke Nizam's appointment....yuh surprise mih dey Mr. President, ah eh goh lie....yuh surprise mih.....thanks for the pleasant surprise!!!...

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
Just came over the news that his position has been revoked.

Press conference going on now on 95.5 with the other members of the board.

Més que un club.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »
Look how Nizam turn into a modern day Dhanraj easy easy
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/blog/?p=5079

President Revokes Nizam’s Appointment
Published on April 4, 2011 in General T&T, Indian, Law, Opposition Party, Parliament, People's Partnership, Politics, Race and Identity and Security. 3 Comments Tags: George Maxwell Richards, Nizam Mohammed, President, PSC.

Nizam MohammedTHE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
TRINIDAD
REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Media Release

In the matter of the Constitution and of the Revocation of the Appointment of the Chairman of the Police Service Commission, as Chairman & Member.

His Excellency GEORGE MAXWELL RICHARDS, T.C., C.M.T., Ph.D., President advises that he has, with immediate effect revoked the appointment of Mr. Nizam Mohammed as Chairman and member of the Police Service Commission.

In so doing, His Excellency has exercised the power vested in him by Section 122A (1) (d) & (f) of the Constitution (as amended), all other powers thereto enabling and, after a most cordial meeting with Mr. Mohammed on Friday 1st April, 2011 when the business of the Commission was discussed.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
Wow... great posts.

I argued earlier that I didn't think that Nizam was racist... but I ent so sure now nah.  If he ent racist he sure as heck have some deep-seated prejudice in his heart against people of African descent.  I've also never been much of a fan of Selwyn Cudjoe... probably more b/c of my own biases... but he writes a very powerful rebuttal of Nizam's thinking, although to his everlasting credit he softens the denunciation of the man himself.

As for Nizam... I am stunned by this:

"forcing this half-baked idea of calypso and pan which, by the way, is not even indigenous to this country, down Indians throats"

I wonder what a man like Jit Samaroo would say about that?  I'm sure there are other Trinis of Indian descent who have embraced both artforms, whose names I am ignorant of, who would similarly stand up in protest to such nonsense.  Time for Nizam to pack he shit and ride out.

As for Kamla's statements from 2005, I understand the need for inclusivity, but to hold up the switch to the CCJ on the basis of racial politics is beyond absurd.  I hope all who help put she where she is now proud of their handiwork.  It is clear that Nizam wasn't speaking in a vacuum the whole time... and more and more it becomes apparent that Kamla and Anand were behind the scenes agitating as well.

There are many of Indian descent who embrace many of the artforms that are unique to Trini.  Whether they will stand up and chastize Nizam is another story (which I think is more of a Trini thing than a race or class thing). The embrace of culture swings both ways as well......I mean, Shorty, Jit and Rikki Jai are prime examples. Also, people laugh and joke about Morgan Job, but he makes some interesting points in his book on "race in trinidad." Unfortunately the message is often lost because of the messenger.

Having said that, I am glad that the President dropped the hammer on him, because that is the type of action that is lacking in T&T. If Kamla was a stronger leader all this talk would be mute because Nizam woulda think twice and tread carefully before running off his mouth.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
There are many of Indian descent who embrace many of the artforms that are unique to Trini.  Whether they will stand up and chastize Nizam is another story (which I think is more of a Trini thing than a race or class thing). The embrace of culture swings both ways as well......I mean, Shorty, Jit and Rikki Jai are prime examples. Also, people laugh and joke about Morgan Job, but he makes some interesting points in his book on "race in trinidad." Unfortunately the message is often lost because of the messenger.

Having said that, I am glad that the President dropped the hammer on him, because that is the type of action that is lacking in T&T. If Kamla was a stronger leader all this talk would be mute because Nizam woulda think twice and tread carefully before running off his mouth.

I hear what yuh saying... but I disagree.  I agree that Kamla is ah waste... if it eh involving fashion or foreign junkets then she eh business.  That said, Nizam thought he could say what he say not because Kamla is ah weak leader... but because Kamla echo his sentiments.  Kamla was right dey when Anand raise the same issue before the Fitzroy what-he-name police fella last month.  Nizam mistake was in playing loose with he words and overstepping he official mandate. 

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
So now that Nizam Mohammed is gone should we move on or we should have a round table discussion about the Indian and creole problems in Trinbago , I feel there is a serious problem  we pretend it do not exist I feel we should not let this opportunity pass us by, let us try to solve this one so we can make a better TRINIDAD & TOBAGO . Do not invite any politicans leave them out they create problems .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
So now that Nizam Mohammed is gone should we move on or we should have a round table discussion about the Indian and creole problems in Trinbago , I feel there is a serious problem  we pretend it do not exist I feel we should not let this opportunity pass us by, let us try to solve this one so we can make a better TRINIDAD & TOBAGO . Do not invite any politicans leave them out they create problems .

Do "Africans" ban they chirren from marriding ah "indian"  ??? or vice versa  ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2011, 04:10:52 AM »
YOU'RE FIRED!
President cites Constitution in revoking appointment of PSC chairman
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

President George Maxwell Richards yesterday acted decisively in the matter which has embroiled the nation over the past ten days in race talk, sometimes spawning acrimonious race debate. At 11.22 a.m, the media received Richards's brief statement that he had revoked the appointment of Nizam Mohammed as chairman and a member of the Police Service Commission.

In a nutshell, the President indicated that Mohammed was removed for two reasons: a) he failed to perform his duties in a responsible or timely manner and b) he demonstrated a lack of competence to perform his duties. The release from the President's Office said His Excellency had exercised the power vested in him by Section 122 A (1) (d) and (f) of the Constitution (as amended).

Mohammed yesterday blamed "racist journalists" for his plight.

It was Mohammed who on March 25 raised the issue of an ethnic imbalance in the Police Service, pledging as chairman of the PSC to address the matter with the help of Parliament. Mohammed also suggested that the imbalance had made it difficult for East Indians, whom he said constituted 50 per cent of the population, to support the Police Service.

With the exception of a few persons, Mohammed's statements to the Joint Select Committee of Parliament, were universally condemned.

In an immediate response yesterday, acting Prime Minister Jack Warner said, "His Excellency's carefully deliberated action is a clear indication that as a nation we are not prepared to countenance any statement that threatens the unity of our national state."

Stating that this had been an extremely difficult moment for the President, Warner said the population can be "absolutely assured" that the Head of State and the Government would always put the well-being of all its citizens first before sectoral interests, "which interests can easily divide us".

"Regardless of how painful such action may be, as a Government elected by the people of Trinidad and Tobago, we will always strive to do what is right," Warner said.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, currently on assignment in the United States, said the President had acted according to the Constitution "and I respect the decision of the President".

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley said yesterday the President had also acted properly. The actions and statements of Mohammed warranted an intervention by the President, an intervention called for by the office of the Leader of the Opposition and many citizens who were outraged by Mohammed's conduct and statement, Rowley said, adding that the office of the presidency was used to bring order in the governance of Trinidad and Tobago.

Rowley stressed that it was not a question of Mohammed chronicling who was in office at the executive level of the Police Service.

"It was Mr Mohammed's attempt to create the scenario of how they got there by virtue of racial preference, and then setting himself the assignment of fixing it to create a balance, the nature of which was questionable against his statistics and his understanding or misunderstanding of the situation," Rowley said.

He added that in seeking to "fix" the situation, Mohammed was giving himself an authority which he did not have under the law.

Rowley said "most offensive" was Mohammed statement, in seeking to explain the national crime wave, that because of the racial complexion of the executive of the Police Service, citizens (East Indians) were not co-operating with the police.

"That is offensive and demoralising to the Police Service, especially the executive officers who are charged with the responsibility of fighting crime in this country," he said.

Rowley added that on closer examination, the evidence did not bear out what Mohammed sought to portray to the country and the world.

He said despite Mohammed's dismissal, he had filed a motion in the Parliament, because some members of the Government had provided public support for Mohammed. Rowley said he wanted all MPs to state their position and whether they agreed with the stance taken by the Prime Minister.

Mohammed's tenure as chairman has been controversial from the inception. It began with strong objection from Rowley to the appointment of a "serial politician" to an independent commission.

On December 2, Mohammed was involved in a traffic confrontation with two police officers, Sean Batson and Marlene Gittens, at the corner of Independent Square and Henry Street in Port of Spain.

The officers claimed that he failed to obey a lawful instruction, but Mohammed counterclaimed that they were rude to him.

This incident sparked a campaign by Fixin T&T calling for his removal. Mohammed complained about the advertisements put out by the organisation and the Special Branch was sent to interview the directors of the organisation.

His statements to the Joint Select Committee, however, seemed to be the last straw.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar labelled his remarks as "reckless, ... divisive and senseless".

Warner, Rowley and the very party to which Mohammed belongs, the Congress of the People, crticised him and his own colleagues on the commission distanced themselves from his stance.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2011, 06:12:55 AM »

Do "Africans" ban they chirren from marriding ah "indian"  ??? or vice versa  ???

We don't keep statistics on that. Should we?

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »
Do "Africans" ban they chirren from marriding ah "indian"   or vice versa  

Yes it have Africans who would do that but i know it is a crime to marrid ah kneegar the way the Indians would put it like is a scorn something nasty ah know that for sure .  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:21:57 AM by zuluwarrior »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2011, 06:50:31 AM »
Do "Africans" ban they chirren from marriding ah "indian"   or vice versa  

Yes it have Africans who would do that but i know it is a crime to marrid ah kneegar the way the Indians would put it like is a scorn something nasty ah know that for sure .  

not always d case but I was wit one who was always on ah hide up scene so I learn what to look for.........it had one in d office here who was kinda intrestin, all kinda small talk an ting for weeks, a morning she walk in d building wit anoder lady dat wukkin by me, I passin an say mornin, nobody answer an she do like she never see me before is den wen I look close ah see d "famly" resemblance, dat was it dey, she does still get mornin not ah word else
I pity the fool....

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
“Eric Williams and Africans like yourself had this master plan to eliminate the Indian fact from this country, so you all set about to import Africans from the small islands lock, stock and barrel, without a second thought, if some were criminal elements or not, did not care were (sic) they will live, or how they will work or eat, as long as they shored up the African population, and voted for the dominance of all Indians, by forcing this half-baked idea of calypso and pan which, by the way, is not even indigenous to this country, down Indians throats. Well it has backfired, those same people make up the majority of poor in this country (because only poor [people] migrate for better living conditions) and are holding this country to ransom, especially their own African brothers.

“Nine out of every ten crimes committed in this country by an African is against his own kind. You and your kind refused to see, if it was not for Indians, who rent their homes and land to so many of those new arrivals there will be plenty more people living on the streets.” “You sir, continue to stir up this racial hatred, but rest assured, Indians know how to give back as they get, for whatever is dished out.”

So now we understand why there is preponderance of East Indians from Guyana.....Mr. Mohammed should also explain where they were first housed when they started coming to T&T.....didn't the mandir and the mosques provide temporary shelter as well as steered them towards gainful employment????

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:29 PM »
Ah never forget Kumarie....whey boy. Ah in standard 3 and this nice lil indian girl transfer into we class, boy she sweet. So one day ah make ah move and tell she ah like she  :-[ meh girl reply and tell me she always tort she woulda marrid ah nice lil indian boy. Ah never forget that at all.

Then one day this car pull up in front we house and this indian man come out and meh mudder start to laugh and cry, yuh know is she oldest brother Boyie  ???  Now everybody watching me like daiz yuh famalee. So I say me eh know, meh mother calling meh to meet meh uncle. The man daughter then come up a couple days later to spend de week, the girl straight outta Penal or Barrackpore. People want to know what going on with we famalee.

So Nizam could haul he cyat, I love all meh Trini people.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2011, 05:40:20 AM »
ACP: Send Ramesar packing over letter to Nizam
By Akile Simon

Story Created: Apr 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Apr 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM ECT )

ASSISTANT Commissioner of Police Fitzroy Fredericks is calling for the removal of president of the Police Service Social and Welfare Association, Sgt Anand Ramesar.

According to Fredericks, Ramesar must suffer a similar fate to sacked Police Service Commission chairman Nizam Mohammed over statements Ramesar made regarding the ethnic composition of the Police Promotions and Advisory Board.

Ramesar had written a letter to Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs, which was copied to Mohammed, highlighting concerns about the ethnic composition of the board.

Two weeks ago, Mohammed, in addressing a Joint Select Committee of Parliament, raised the concern expressed by Ramesar, adding there were too many Africans, as opposed to their East Indian colleagues, holding leadership roles within the executive of the Police Service. Mohammed had stated the PSC, with the help of Parliament, intended to change that.

Fellow PSC members Kenneth Parker, Martin George and Jacqueline Cheesman immediately distanced themselves from Mohammed's statements, which sparked outrage and widespread debate. Mohammed was also criticised by Government, the Opposition and several sectors of society.

President George Maxwell Richards, after meeting with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley last week, took the decision to terminate Mohammed's appointment with immediate effect on Monday. Fredericks had strongly condemned Mohammed's statements and called for his immediate removal.

Speaking yesterday on I95.5FM, Fredericks said Ramesar and any member of his executive who supported the letter must also be sent packing. He accused Ramesar of having a "hidden agenda".

"We thought that he had his own agenda, and there is a crisis of confidence by the membership of the Police Service, (and) Mr Ramesar has really not represented the interest of police officers at all. It's very disappointing (as a) founding father of the association, (I am) appalled by his conduct in this matter and other matters," Fredericks said.

"A lot of officers have expressed the view of wanting to withdraw from the association, and we said that they shouldn't withdraw, but there are processes within the rules that we need to follow in order to get his position, as well, revoked by the membership because there is a loss of confidence and he could no longer command. I think he has lost the moral authority to lead the organisation."

Fredericks, a former executive member of the association, said association members, under the rules, could access the letter written by Ramesar and could initiate the process of removing him.

Contacted last evening, Ramesar said the letter he wrote to Gibbs, which was copied to Mohammed, specifically spoke about the ethnic imbalance on the promotions board and was something reported previously in the media.

Ramesar said his executive will make the letter available to its general membership when they meet at the end of the month. He also dismissed statements by Fredericks that the association's membership had lost confidence in his leadership, saying he was in the process of fulfilling the burning issues affecting members.

Ramesar said, "I am disappointed by ACP Fredericks, who should have understood that the professional relationship with this executive would have been to communicate with the association executive, engage in some dialogue and engage himself with the correct information."

He maintained he did nothing wrong when he wrote the letter to Gibbs and Mohammed

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Fredrick is right just strt d proceedings 2 sent him packing.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
The Presidency of the Police Service Social and Welfare Association is a matter for the members the association. Fredericks like any officer has the right to his opinion on how they should proceed with the matter in question.However I can't see the benefit of making public pronoucements about Police business.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
Before we jump at Ramasar throat first we should read the letter Ramasar wrote , maybe what he wrote is not what Nizam said if what he said is legit i do not feel he should go . What about the police officers who made the woman strip in the middle of the road , made her strip and squat, I feel they should go also .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:43:24 PM by zuluwarrior »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »
Contacted last evening, Ramesar said the letter he wrote to Gibbs, which was copied to Mohammed, specifically spoke about the ethnic imbalance on the promotions board and was something reported previously in the media.

Every report I have read says this is what Ramesar raised... and he have a damn right to raise it, there must be diversity on the promotions board if we ever expect to see diversity in the senior ranks.  Not one ass wrong with saying that.  Until I read the letter mihself to see its contents then I'm not jumping on no bandwagon to get him removed.  Fredericks coming off like a jackass here... without more, he should be keeping all of this in-house instead of trying to capitalize on the anti-Nizam feelings to get Ramesar removed as well.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2011, 05:15:34 AM »
Warner: Nizam’s call to President absurd.
By: Sascha Wilson (Guardian).

Acting Prime Minister Jack Warner says it is “patently absurd” for dismissed Police Service Commission chairman Nizam Mohammed to ask President George Maxwell Richards to explain why he revoked his appointment. In an interview yesterday after attending the re-opening of Fort George Road, Moruga, Warner said: “In my humble view it is absurd to ask His Excellency to give an explanation for his actions.

“It is absurd and it tells you why we are where we are today, that we are questioning His Excellency and he must give explanation for why he acted as he acted. It has to be patently absurd.”   

Mohammed, whose appointment was revoked on Monday because of his controversial statements about ethnic imbalance in the Police Service, had asked the President to give reasons for revoking his appointment. Saying he found Mohammed’s request difficult to accept, Warner, who is also Works and Transport Minister, said Mohammed did not ask publicly why he had been appointed so he should not ask now why he was dismissed.

However, Warner quickly added he did not want to say much on the matter. “The Prime Minister has spoken, the leader of the Opposition has spoken and His Excellency has acted and as for me let the chips fall where they fall. I am not going to say anything (else) at this point,” he added.

Asked about calls for commission member Addison Khan, who supported Mohammed, to step down, he said: “I don’t want to say anything about Addison Khan, what he should do or what he should not do.  “I made a release on this matter and the Prime Minister will be back here on Friday and she will speak on this matter. I don’t want to say anything and even to be accused of being premature at this stage.”

Dismissing calls for the removal of the President for sacking Mohammed, Warner said: “There are some things in life that one must be dismissive of and that is one such thing.” He said he refused to dignify nonsense with a comment. Meanwhile, the President has since refused to comment on Mohammed’s call for him to state specifically and precisely why his appointment was revoked.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »
Meanwhile, the President has since refused to comment on Mohammed’s call for him to state specifically and precisely why his appointment was revoked

Guardian on some shit yes... Max di'n no "refused comment"... he said an explanation will be forthcoming soon.

As for Jack... he doh want to dignify the talk with a comment... but he commenting anyways?  And talking shit at that... of course Max should explain, the days of ruling by fiat are over.  But Max has every right to take his time with that explanation, loose lips is what brought us into this situation in the first place.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
Article from the Rafique Shah on the imbalance in the TTPS and one way to address it.

THE race-ratios in the Protective Services I mentioned last week would have changed significantly since my generation broke barriers back in the 1960s. In fact, even as I write, an Indian officer, Colonel Kenrick Maraj, is set to take office as the nation’s next Chief of Defence Staff. He will become the first Indian to hold the highest command position in the Defence Force.

When that happens, there will hardly be a ripple in the ranks. I am sure there are members of the TTDF who harbour racial sentiments. But they are always in the extreme minority. Indeed, from way back there have been cliques or cabals in the armed forces. But generally, among brothers-in-arms, race is never a factor. Soldiering is about putting one’s life in the hands of all troops you go into action with. You cannot ask for more confidence in “the other” than that.

I should add that in the relatively small corps of female officers in the Regiment, there is one Indian officer. There are many Indian corporals, sergeants and warrant officers. I’m sure, though, that if we “count heads”, as Nizam Mohammed did for the Police Service, the ratio of Indians to Africans will not reflect the race profile of the nation. Last week, I outlined some reasons for this disparity. From what I see on the ground, I sense Indians in the Police Service comprise 33 per cent or more of the unit’s overall strength.

Regarding Indians moving into the upper ranks of the Police, it should be noted that Dennis Ramdwar had moved to Deputy Commissioner (I believe) in the latter 1970s. Ramdwar was the officer who was in overall command of the police sent to San Fernando to stop the “Bloody Tuesday” march, staged by the fledgling ULF, on March 18, 1975. He gave the order to fire tear gas on what was a peaceful demonstration. The police proceeded to bludgeon frontline leaders like George Weekes, John Humphrey and Vernon Jamadar (among many others). Basdeo Panday and I escaped, thanks to our agility and the protection our supporters gave us.

Ramdwar also had the police rip the religious banners borne aloft by some pundits, imams and clergymen (to get around the law prohibiting marches, we had deemed it a religious procession). The officers bludgeoned the holy men, journalists and innocent civilians who happened to be on Coffee Street at the time.

So there we had the first senior Indian officer in the Police Service giving the order to inflict maximum violence on marchers, more than half of whom were Indians. In contrast, in the 1970 Black Power revolt, this Indian officer refused to be used to bludgeon mainly African demonstrators who defied the State of Emergency.

Instead, I led a mutiny, defied the high command and the political directorate, and paid the price for it. I need add that during the ten days of the mutiny, I led more than 300 men, 95 per cent of whom were Afro-Trinidadians. They were all heavily armed. They could have killed me (and Rex Lassalle) anytime they chose to, if they were so inclined. But they did not. Instead, they protected us for the duration of that revolt.

What I have illustrated is that any race balance in the Police Service or other arms of the Protective Services guarantees Indians no better treatment. Indeed, I know too many Indians who have had nasty encounters with police officers of their own race. The same can be said of treatment meted out to Afro-Trinidadians by officers of their own kind. Almost every week, there are protests against the use of excessive force, even allegations of murder, in the above context.

In any event, how does one redress this race imbalance? Let me add another pepper to the pot: why do we have so many Indians playing cricket, in contrast to the numbers who play football at the highest levels? We return to the issues of choice, of culture—not race.

The only mechanism I know of to redress imbalances in the Protective Services is national service. This would entail having young persons who fail to progress up the academic ladder, or who refuse to adopt some form of training to enhance himself or herself, conscripted for at least one year. The conscripts are brought under military-type discipline, and besides comportment and drill, they ought to graduate as potential recruits for the services. As a bonus, the nation’s fast-expanding criminal enterprises would be denied recruits.

Whenever this option surfaced in the past, it was shot down by the likes of Sat Maharaj. He swears that its sole purpose would be to “douglarise” the population…as if that is not happening without national service. If you want to have more Indians join the Protective Services, you have to make it attractive to them. And national service can do that.

I was among the officers and men in the Regiment who cleared the bush, literally, to make way for the first Chaguaramas Youth Camp. We then trained the boys not so much for military pursuits, but preparing them to face life. Of course, drill, comportment and discipline were pivotal to their development. Every so often, I would meet some of them who would thank me for what members of the Regiment did for them in their formative years.

Those who clamour for “affirmative action”, for redressing imbalances, are they prepared to accept national service as an instrument towards achieving their goals?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »
Professor Ramesh Deosaran sworn in as PSC Chairman

Wednesday 13th April, 2011

Professor Ramesh Deosaran has been sworn-in as the new Chairman of the Police Service Commission.

Speaking shortly after taking the oath of office at Knowsley Building today, Professor Deosaran said his first order of business is to get an assessment of Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs' performance over the last six months.

He also said under his watch, the Police Service Commission will examine claims of ethnic imbalance at the senior level of the Police Service.

The allegations first came to light last month when the then PSC Chairman Nizam Mohammed raised the issue at a Joint Select Committee meeting in the Parliament. Mr Mohammed said there were too few East Indians in leadership positions in the Service, suggesting that because of this, East Indians might not co-operate with the police, and might not feel protected by the police.

Since then, there were calls for Mr Mohammed's removal and he was dismissed by President George Maxwell Richards last Monday after he held separate meetings with the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader.

Professor Deosaran was sworn into office by Acting President Timothy Hamel-Smith who said today's ceremony came at a very critical time in the nation's history.

The new Chairman, who is a noted criminologist, confirmed plans to meet with the four other members of the Police Service Commission on Monday. He also plans to meet with Commissioner Gibbs next week.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
Ah really doh know what to make of this.....de officers eh pass the exam but they want to be promoted anyway??..... ??? :-\

Police officers call on Nizam for help
Yvonne Webb

Scores of First Division police officers who failed their promotions examination have turned to sacked Police Service Commission chairman Nizam Mohammed for help. This was revealed by Police Social and Welfare Association  President Anand Ramesar who also confirmed that the association has mounted a separate challenge on behalf of the failed officers.  The officers are seeking promotion from Assistant Superintendent of Police to Superintendent, Senior Superintendent and acting Commissioner of Police.

The examination was set by the Penn State University and the officers received verbal confirmation of their results on Wednesday. Many of the seniors offices are unhappy that they will not be promoted. They are insisting that they should be promoted based on their long and outstanding records of service and performance. Reached by telephone, Mohammed, who said he was fishing with his grandchildren in La Romaine, confirmed that a number of officers had spoken to him about legal representation.

“I am waiting until they get something official, to see if any representation ought to be made on their behalf,” he said. He said he would hold talks with the officers who were all puzzled about some changes in the system which were instituted without prior notice. “So we are looking at that. Something (a meeting) will be arranged once they get something official,” he assured. Ramesar said based on the assessment, officers had to make more than 65 per cent to be considered for promotion to the next rank. He said some officers made between 50 and under 65 per cent.

“We are not satisfied that dividing mark should be applied. We are looking at what would have happened historically when officers with marks less than 65 were promoted. The precedent must he followed,” he insisted. “The association is going to launch a challenge because we are saying that officers who would have scored beyond 50 marks satisfy the criteria internationally and they must be considered for promotion.”

He said there was no consultation with the association with respect to the dividing mark, which he said was flawed in procedure. “The association stands as the representative body and any procedure should have included consultation with us. We are going to challenge it from that position as well,” he said. Ramesar said the association’s secretary Michael Seales had already sent letters to Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs and newly-elected PSC chairman Dr Ramesh Deosaran on the matter.

“We are seeking to have that position reviewed and also to have officers included for consideration for promotion. The commissioner has that authority,” he said. Ramesar explained that the officers were tested on several books sent by the university for them to study. He said they were allowed ten weeks preparation, whereas in the past, the time allotted was three months. He said this was prejudicial to the officers. He added that while some officers were able to take leave to study, “not every officer was in a position to disengage himself from regular duties to take leave.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/04/16/police-officers-call-nizam-help
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2012, 04:23:29 AM »
President defends Nizam’s dismissal
By AZARD ALI Tuesday, June 5 2012

PRESIDENT George Maxwell Richards has responded to the lawsuit by Nizam Mohammed against His Excellency’s firing him as chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC) over remarks he made at a Joint Select Committee (JSC) meeting of Parliament about the ethic composition of the hierarchy in the Police Service.

The response to Mohammed’s lawsuit was not made personally by Richards, but through Senior Counsel Reginald Armour, who in an affidavit filed in the Hall of Justice, Port-of-Spain, stated he advised His Excellency that he (Richards) covered all constitutional grounds in dismissing Mohammed.

Armour also stated that based on his advice to Richards, he does not accept Mohammed’s contention in his lawsuit that His Excellency did not allow him an opportunity to first seek legal advice before dismissing him.

Mohammed named the Attorney General as the defendant in a constitutional motion, in which he contended Richards acted under political pressure, and did not give him an opportunity to defend himself. He is seeking to have Richards’ April 4, 2011 revocation of his appointment as PSC chairman, null and void.

Mohammed was appointed PSC chairman when the People’s Partnership came into government on May 24, 2010.

On March 25, 2011 at the JSC meeting, Mohammed, reportedly questioned an ethnic imbalance based on statistics, in the upper echelons of the police service.

The comment drew a firestorm of public comments and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar advised Richards, after consultation with the Leader of the Opposition, Dr Keith Rowley, to revoke Mohammed’s appointment.

Richards called in Mohammed on April 1, to a meeting at President’s House and three days after, revoked his appointment.

Mohammed filed the constitutional motion in which he contended he was not afforded by His Excellency, an opportunity to be heard when he sought time to retain a Queen’s Counsel from England. Mohammed’s lawsuit was filed by attorney Ravi Mungalsingh on December 16, 2011, who is instructing Senior Counsel Fyard Hosein.

Armour stated in his affidavit filed on May 14, 2012, that over the past five years, Richards has called on him for legal advice in respect of his performance and functioning of his office as president. “On such occasions, in the normal course, I would attend on His Excellency at President’s House where we would meet. I would then receive from His Excellency by discussion, and by His Excellency sharing with me sight of documents received or issued by him,” Armour stated.

Armour went on to state in his affidavit, discussions and documents he studied relating to Richard’s revocation of Mohammed’s appointment, citing extracts of Mohammed’s statements at the JSC meeting. Armour stated that his role was to advise Richards on the functioning of the PSC and the constitutional role of the Office of the President. Armour further stated that he has reviewed Mohammed’s constitutional motion with Richards and has taken certain instructions in respect of certain statements Mohammed adduced.

Armour went on to state that he received from Richards, a copy of the unrevised verbatim notes of the JSC meeting. Additionally, the Senior Counsel stated in his affidavit, His Excellency furnished him with extracts of media reports on the issue.

At paragraph 12 of Armour’s affidavit, he stated that he has since advised Richards that he (Armour), does not accept that in all circumstances, the revocation of Mohammed’s appointment was unlawfully effected.

1]; } ?>