April 28, 2024, 02:56:29 PM

Author Topic: Two pioneering black players' opposite views on Platini's comments  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Two opposite views on Platini's comments from players, both contempories of Platini, who opened the way for black footballers in the 80's and who's suffering of terrace racism embarrassed football into speaking out against racism.   

RUUD GULLIT

Ruud Gullit has hit out at UEFA's ruling that players at Euro 2012 who leave the pitch in response to racist abuse will be yellow-carded.

Italy's Mario Balotelli said he would walk off the pitch if he heard racist abuse coming from the stands but UEFA president Michel Platini warned it is up to the referee to take the teams off, and that players who took matters into their own hands would be punished.

Former Holland midfield star Gullit backed the power given to match officials but insists players who are targeted must have the opportunity to make a personal stand.

He told the Daily Mail: "The monkey sounds that greeted the Holland team at their training session this week were an embarrassment to the Polish authorities.

"The problem of racial abuse of footballers is now on everyone's radar and it has to be dealt with.

"UEFA have given referees the power to stop a game and I am behind that. The problem needs to be tackled straight away, so players shouldn't just keep quiet and play on like in my day."

Gullit added: "It has been suggested by the UEFA president Michel Platini that players would be booked for leaving the field as an act of retaliation and defiance. That, in my opinion, is the wrong message.

"If a player is racially insulted, he should have the right to leave the field."

"I would like to think we can trust referees to take everyone off but, if the officials are not supporting the players correctly, then the individual should act. The message this would send out: 'we will not tolerate this abuse'."

Gullit feels awareness of racism has improved since his playing days, when he admits he felt unable to openly confront the issue.

"When I played, I received racial abuse but I was just one of a few black players and we weren't backed up by the authorities," he said.

"I used to ignore the abuse and felt powerless to change attitudes. My only weapon was my performances on the pitch.

"We are beyond that now though. We just have to hope that racism doesn't haunt this tournament but that, if it does, the response is strong. The players need the support of UEFA and the football authorities need the support of the police."

JOHN BARNES

John Barnes backs Uefa president Michel Platini's stance over booking players who walk off the pitch during Euro 2012 in protest at racist abuse.

The ex-England winger insists racism is not an issue players should deal with.

Barnes was speaking after Holland players were racially abused during a training session on Wednesday.

"I 100 per cent back [Platini]. A player cannot arbitrarily decide he is receiving racial abuse and walk off," Barnes told BBC Sport.
Continue reading the main story

“You cannot arbitrarily as a player decide that because what you perceive racist abuse has come your way you are going to walk off”

Barnes suffered racist abuse throughout his career, the worst of which saw bananas being thrown on to the field during matches for Watford and Liverpool.

But the 48-year-old former Liverpool player said he would never walk off a field if he were playing at Euro 2012.

"It wouldn't be a problem to me because I am there to play football," Barnes added. "If it is a problem then the authorities have to deal with it, players shouldn't deal with it."

Barnes insists that the officials and the authorities should be left to tackle the issue. "We have to get on with the football and let the authorities do whatever they, in terms of legislation, in terms of sanctions, in terms of what they are going to do," he added.

"We can't take it upon ourselves, we still have the laws of the game. What Michel Platini said is that the referee has the power to stop the game if he believes there has been racist abuse and therefore that the players need to go by the referee's decision.

"You cannot arbitrarily as a player decide that because what you perceive racist abuse has come your way you are going to walk off.

"If then you say that every individual player can arbitrarily decide whether they are getting racist abuse or not then you could have five players walking off in every game because of what they have decided. Which is ridiculous."

The issue first came to light when Mario Balotelli suggested he would walk off the pitch if he was targeted in Poland and Ukraine.

"I hope there will not be a problem with racism at the Euros," the Manchester City forward said in an interview with France Football. "Because if it does happen I would leave the pitch straightaway and go home."

truetrini

Re: Two pioneering black players' opposite views on Platini's comments
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
Barnes needs to take his head out of his arse!

Players have to stand for their personal beliefs!   

UEFA never has or had done enough and FIFA is full of bullshit.  Imagine Blatter says they should just shake hands after the match???

Walk to f**k off..and his teammates should follow suit and back their team mate suffering the abuse.

Oh and I don't view either Gullit nor Barnes as "pioneers"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:37:08 AM by truetrini SC »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »

UEFA never has or had done enough and FIFA is full of bullshit.  Imagine Blatter says they should just shake hands after the match???

Walk to f**k off..and his teammates should follow suit and back their team mate suffering the abuse.

Although I agree in principle, unfortunately in practice this would not only empower the racists it would enable a losing to walk off and get a rematch. Imagine Italy losing 2-0 at 70 mins and an Italian fan throwing bananas at Baliotelli!

Unfortunately, this is society's problem and FIFA should use their power to protect players. Until a country can clean up their act, they should not be awarded with tournaments. Unfortunately, even that won't stop it because racists can travel anywhere they want until they're caught!

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
As I said.  Have searches, ban bananas at games etc.  immediately eject offending "fans,"  fine teams appropriately to include sanctions, ban teams.  FIFA and UEFA could care less and that is apparent.

Walk to f**k off.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »
What's going on here in Euro 2012 has to be taken seriously,imagine supporters scared of going to games i could just imagine how players are feeling out there on the field,how could a player concentrate on his game when any minuite something dangerous can happen.

We reach boy,this is what modern day Football has come too,the game we once called "the beautifull game".the thing is if something drastic isn't done about this situation it will get worse,players have to protect themselves one way or the other and if it means walking of the field so be it,ah mean they start attcking security officials now, expect to here violence against teams etc next.

Some people are complaining about Russia and i totally agree the WC should not be given to them, but there was a period of time when England was going through that same faze and they hosted a WC so i understand where Barnes coming from,there supporters create problems where ever they go. 

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
What's going on here in Euro 2012 has to be taken seriously,imagine supporters scared of going to games i could just imagine how players are feeling out there on the field,how could a player concentrate on his game when any minuite something dangerous can happen.

We reach boy,this is what modern day Football has come too,the game we once called "the beautifull game".the thing is if something drastic isn't done about this situation it will get worse,players have to protect themselves one way or the other and if it means walking of the field so be it,ah mean they start attcking security officials now, expect to here violence against teams etc next.

Some people are complaining about Russia and i totally agree the WC should not be given to them, but there was a period of time when England was going through that same faze and they hosted a WC so i understand where Barnes coming from,there supporters create problems where ever they go. 

I am not sure that the problem was ever that severe in England though, as bad as it was.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »

Jack Warner, a black man at the highest level of administration in football, what did he put in place or attempted to put in place to assist black players and fans to participate in the game they love free of fear?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
Racism?  What racism?  I protest the fans was protesting that they city didn't get to host a game.  Much ado about nothing.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

That's the black brit for yuh, have you ever seen ah more cowardly compromising black first worlder like the black brit??  they want to be seen as brits, so they will compromise all their principles just not to offend whitey, and come over as radical!

i mean it have a time and a place for every thing, even i does pick my battles. but i believe if barnes truly felt this way, then he should have avoided the press and held his peace, but for a blackman he definitely send the wrong message by saying, "i too was racially abused but endured" mdfkr, so did your ancestors, but today we have far more freedom to express ourselves and stand up against racist abuse.

rud has always been ah rebel, and i have to big him up for that! and yeh, fack plateen face, that big headed ckskr!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »

That's the black brit for yuh, have you ever seen ah more cowardly compromising black first worlder like the black brit??  they want to be seen as brits, so they will compromise all their principles just not to offend whitey, and come over as radical!

i mean it have a time and a place for every thing, even i does pick my battles. but i believe if barnes truly felt this way, then he should have avoided the press and held his peace, but for a blackman he definitely send the wrong message by saying, "i too was racially abused but endured" mdfkr, so did your ancestors, but today we have far more freedom to express ourselves and stand up against racist abuse.

rud has always been ah rebel, and i have to big him up for that! and yeh, fack plateen face, that big headed ckskr!

All true....except if you chastise Barnes, you have to do the same for Ruud, because he, admittedly, also failed to speak out when he was playing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Barnes actually did more as he was a poster boy for Lets Kick Racism out of Football.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »

You're 30 years too late. In the 80's in England you couldn't wear a football jersey to a game for fear of getting beaten. Supporters used to throw darts at opposing fans and made their own chinese stars (can't remember the proper name for them) to throw across the pitch. Players were hit with GLASS bottles and coins. Thats when the fences went up. Then after Heysel and Hilsborough the terraces were removed and the all seater stadium was introduced. But in 1966 when England hosted the World Cup, I don't recall crowd violence. I also believe Euro 96 was fairly trouble free.

Football is relatively peaceful now, aside from Eastern Europe. Turkey had its problems along with Italy, but they both seem relatively calm these days. It appears that Euro 2012 was staged in the last outposts of the hooligan.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »
John Barnes ... I take issue with you framing player action in that context as "arbitrary". Try again.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
there are racist people in the world, get over it.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:13:38 AM »

Yep, no big deal.....right.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »

Yuh right. Ah meeting wid Marlon Asher in a few minutes. Ah go tell him switch to banana ... it go be like having $$$ thrown at yuh. Safe.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »

You're 30 years too late. In the 80's in England you couldn't wear a football jersey to a game for fear of getting beaten. Supporters used to throw darts at opposing fans and made their own chinese stars (can't remember the proper name for them) to throw across the pitch. Players were hit with GLASS bottles and coins. Thats when the fences went up. Then after Heysel and Hilsborough the terraces were removed and the all seater stadium was introduced. But in 1966 when England hosted the World Cup, I don't recall crowd violence. I also believe Euro 96 was fairly trouble free.

Football is relatively peaceful now, aside from Eastern Europe. Turkey had its problems along with Italy, but they both seem relatively calm these days. It appears that Euro 2012 was staged in the last outposts of the hooligan.

The worst hooligans right now are in egypt. Yuh remember the match in port said.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Ghana beg Balotelli to play for them and he didn't want to beacause of his parents. So he doh like black people. The thing is everybody racist black ,white ,chinese ect.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:24 AM »
Ghana beg Balotelli to play for them and he didn't want to beacause of his parents. So he doh like black people. The thing is everybody racist black ,white ,chinese ect.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

eh what ???
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>