March 28, 2024, 03:14:35 AM

Author Topic: Lakers Thread  (Read 45526 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lakers Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »
Fans love the move... most basketball people (at least those who are commenting publicly) panning the move.  Brown is very well-respected and many don't like what went down, but is Buss and dem ball.
TBH I really wanted to see Brown do well and possibly even win a championship, I was rooting for the man and was upset when they fired him. After listening to all the comments by analysts etc. I see where Lakers management was coming from, this team is built to win NOW!!! With Kobe and Nash on the twilight of their careers, the highest payroll in the league and more importantly they want to sign Howard when he becomes a free agent after the season so they have to be a championship contender. The Princeton offense was taking too long to implement plus going 0-8 in the pre-season and 5-1 to start the season certainly wasn't helping the cause.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
How de ass they go win "now" and nobody could play any defense and the bench thin as hell?  Mark my words, unless they magically ketch lightning in a bottle that team eh winning shit.  They need Howard to be dominant in order to have a chance and he won't be dominant for another season or two... if EVER again.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
Sigh, another few years in the wilderness, reminiscent of the Dunleavy/Del Harris era.  Hard luck Kobe, the ride was good...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
D'Antoni?????

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »
Sigh, another few years in the wilderness, reminiscent of the Dunleavy/Del Harris era.  Hard luck Kobe, the ride was good...

CO-SIGNNNN

D'Antoni?????

CO SIGHHHHHHH
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »
Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Oh... and apparently Big Chief Triangle has started believing the rumors of his own genius.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »
Kobe in the 30,000+ club, he hanging with elite company but I doubt he can catch up with Kareem to take the overall points record though

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »
Kobe in the 30,000+ club, he hanging with elite company but I doubt he can catch up with Kareem to take the overall points record though

Correk is right
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
Well firing Mike Brown certainly fixed the Lakers' problems.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
Well firing Mike Brown certainly fixed the Lakers' problems.
Seriously...still can't understand the D'Antoni hire when Phil was ready to come back....Damn Jim Buss :banginghead:

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
We hit a new low tonite...lost to Cavs

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 06:39:44 AM »
Look for me with the "Fire Mike, bring back Phil" banner tomorrow

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
You will be at the MSG?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
You will be at the MSG?

Yeah man, yuh comin thru?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
You will be at the MSG?

Yeah man, yuh comin thru?

Nah boy, I wish...I'll watch it on TNT

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »
Kobe's ego is Lakers' big problem

The return of Pau Gasol and Steve Nash to the lineup is likely to mask most, if not all, the symptoms afflicting the underachieving Los Angeles Lakers. But the perennial all-stars will do nothing to address the disease lurking deep inside the foundation of the Lakers, the malady that will prevent the high-priced collection of veterans from getting past the Thunder, Spurs or even the Grizzlies come playoff time.

The disease isn’t bungling, overmatched executive vice president Jim Buss. It’s not bungling, overmatched coach Mike D’Antoni.

The root cause of the Lakers’ dysfunction has been consistent for 15 years. It is Kobe Bryant’s ego, his desperate pursuit of Michael Jordan’s legacy. L.A.’s Dwight Howard experiment is going to explode and implode in spectacular fashion unless someone in the Lakers organization is bold enough to kill Kobe’s Michael Jordan avatar so that Howard’s Bill Russell avatar can emerge and lead the Lakers.

You follow?

The wrong player is driving the Lakers. Dwight Howard is the second-most talented player in the league. He’s the single-most gifted defensive player the NBA has seen since Bill Russell. On a properly functioning, championship-chasing team, Howard cannot be a sidekick, a No. 2, Scottie Pippen. Can’t happen. The Heat tried it with LeBron James in Year 1 of the Big Three, and we know how that ended. Dwyane Wade is an awesome basketball player and a terrific leader, but he had to surrender the soul of the Heat to LeBron in order for the Heat to win a title.

Kobe has to let go and let D12. Has to.

Kobe has to accept that he is not the 34-year-old Michael Jordan. You see, at 34 Jordan was taking his final victory lap in Chicago, completing his second three-peat, securing his sixth title, winning his fifth MVP award and 10th scoring title. Kobe wants to duplicate that feat. He’s putting up MVP-like numbers. He leads the league in scoring. He’s shooting a career-high .478 percent from the field. He’s averaging five rebounds and five assists. He’s knocking down 38 percent of his three-pointers. Oh, the numbers look great. The results? The Lakers stink.

You can blame that on the injuries to Gasol and Nash. You can blame it on the incompetence of D’Antoni.

I blame Kobe. He’s the guy stopping Howard from eating. Kobe is the guy giving Howard room to lose himself in his immaturity and hide. Here’s what Kobe has never understood about the Los Angeles Lakers. It’s an organization built to house and nurture giants. From George Mikan to Wilt Chamberlain to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Shaquille O’Neal, the Lakers function best when the once-in-a-generation big man the organization acquires is allowed to be the man of the house.

Kobe emasculates his big men. Andrew Bynum politely admitted this week that Kobe stunted his growth.

“I think Dwight is a great player, but he’s going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe and not touching the ball every single play,” Bynum said.

The problem is deeper than touches. It’s a mentality that a big man must have in order to lead his team. Dwight Howard must enter every NBA arena with this mindset: “If I don’t hunt and kill, no one eats tonight.”

That’s Kobe’s mindset. But at 34, having played 1,186 regular-season games and 220 playoff games, Kobe doesn’t hunt and kill as effectively as Howard. Kobe isn’t the same as a 34-year-old Jordan. At this stage in his career, Jordan had played 873 regular-season games and 158 playoff games. Jordan was still a force of nature. Don’t get fooled by Kobe’s numbers. He’s not Kevin Durant or Carmelo Anthony, and Kobe damn sure isn’t LeBron James.

James, Durant and Melo can impose their will on the opposition. Over the course of a seven-game playoff series, they can mentally bludgeon an opponent into submission. We saw James do it to the Pacers and the Celtics in last year’s playoffs. Kobe is smart. He can be efficient. But he’s trying too hard right now. That’s why he leads the league in turnovers with 97. Kobe’s days of imposing his will in a playoff series are over. Howard’s days should just be beginning.

But Kobe’s ego is in the way. Howard can’t be the man of the house with Kobe sitting at the head of the table eating the biggest plate of food. As long as everything revolves around Kobe, as long as Kobe is on TV sitting across from Stephen A. Smith speaking in hushed, dark tones about the state of the Lakers, Howard gets to hide, gets to feel like the Lakers family can eat regardless if he chooses to hunt.

Kobe needs to fall back. He’s Dr. J right now and he needs to let Dwight Howard be Moses Malone. That does not mean turn the offense over to Howard. It means building a strategy and philosophy that revolves around Howard’s many gifts, which are mostly at the defensive end (and make the hiring of D’Antoni even more ridiculous). It means forcing Howard to mentally and verbally take full responsibility for the success of the team.

Howard is immature. We know that. We watched him in Orlando. Put some pressure on his ass. Make Howard explain why this team is underachieving.

I know this column will appear to many as hatred of Kobe. I don’t hate Kobe. He’s a wonderful player and terrific competitor. He simply has to make the mental adjustment that Dwyane Wade made last season. Come May and June, the Lakers are going as far as Dwight Howard can take them. Nash and Gasol might help the Lakers recover and get into the playoffs. And Kobe is certainly capable of continuing to put up big numbers.

But the Lakers are not winning a title if their second-best player continues to stunt the growth of their best player.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
Good talk, but I think that's a piece of the current problem.  D'Antoni's coaching style does not suit an aged LA team, running offence w/o defence, really?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »
Let's see what we can do with Nash now, he had trouble defending Jack on the Warriors (too quick) but it was his first game back so hopefully the only way here is up!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »
Sukkerman, he is a defensive liability, dais not why he dey, the defense has to assist, he cyar hold felton, but he culd probably hold Kidd, too ah dem geriatric alike.  Anyway, curious to see how we play NY in LA on xmas day, would be a good xmas present for de LA faithful. We still under 500  :frustrated:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Good local battle in Staples last night, CP3 was amazing, so was Benjamin Button, but defensively we still struggling, so one more for CP3 and company.  Jalen and Magic real rip into Mike at HT, going as far to say he's not even a good coach.  Wonder who would last longer, Mike or Raffa

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
Police looking fuh CP3... when last seen he was abusing some chile in a Lakers jersey on national TV.  At one point I half-expected them to stop the game and check de court fuh moisture... he had Darius Morris skating so much.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
Time to get rid of Gasol, this man stesses me out too much....this man did not even show up last night, 2pts in 25 mins. There was one play in particular he got a pass below the basket and didn't even jump to lay it in, in fact I don't even know what he did but the ball didn't even hit the rim. This was a meaningful game and he was very nonchalant and passive, I need to see more effort from him. How about we trade him to the Knicks for Stoudemire  ;D

As for D'Antoni, don't even know what to say....pretty soon before the players publicly loose faith in him if we keep on going like this. Kobe already came out and said they're "too old" to be running up and down the court like jack rabbits. Plus Jamison came out and said he's unhappy riding pine, how this man is not is not playing given the current roster. Phil better hurry and get married to Jeanie and inherit the franchise from Jim Buss.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
Police looking fuh CP3... when last seen he was abusing some chile in a Lakers jersey on national TV.  At one point I half-expected them to stop the game and check de court fuh moisture... he had Darius Morris skating so much.

CP3 played a helluva game and yes gave Morris an ice skating lesson. The showdown between him an Kobe at the end was entertaining until Dwight picked up a silly foul by jumping in Paul with 1 sec left on the 24 sec shot clock under a min down by 2
I'll give him credit he's really orchestrating that offense and leading his team, he even took more shots than Kobe so he's doing everything

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »
Time to get rid of Gasol, this man stesses me out too much....this man did not even show up last night, 2pts in 25 mins. There was one play in particular he got a pass below the basket and didn't even jump to lay it in, in fact I don't even know what he did but the ball didn't even hit the rim. This was a meaningful game and he was very nonchalant and passive, I need to see more effort from him. How about we trade him to the Knicks for Stoudemire  ;D

As for D'Antoni, don't even know what to say....pretty soon before the players publicly loose faith in him if we keep on going like this. Kobe already came out and said they're "too old" to be running up and down the court like jack rabbits. Plus Jamison came out and said he's unhappy riding pine, how this man is not is not playing given the current roster. Phil better hurry and get married to Jeanie and inherit the franchise from Jim Buss.

So he could run it from Brooklyn?  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »
Don't worry Laker fans, our season starts tomorrow against the Cavs

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
a
ah tink last meetin cavs did cut allyuh ass.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
a
ah tink last meetin cavs did cut allyuh ass.

:rotfl:  soccerman, we done for the year. Enjoy de season

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
Fire Mike Brown!

AirMan

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »
Miami just finished whipping Lakers and Kobe in LA  :D

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
like all yuh self, only one way for us to go after this season, reminiscent of the Del Harris days...

1]; } ?>