March 28, 2024, 09:15:56 AM

Author Topic: USA still doesn't get football; their loss  (Read 12662 times)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA still doesn't get football; their loss
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:02 AM »
LOL you still like name calling  ::)....when you start off like that yuh think yuh sound more intelligent than the writer you're criticizing?

What you say changes nothing. Majority of the US don't GET IT.

Yuh could jump high, jump low, talk bout yuh nannyhole...it changes nothing.

I could easily bet you $10,000 that I could walk into any Starbucks, any Books-A-Million, any Walmart at random and ask 100 people about EURO 2012 and who are the teams, ask them to name 5 players from the US soccer team (their national team) that played Guatemala and would be lucky to find 10 people out of 100 who could answer those questions. THAT is what the writer getting at. They not that interested. PERIOD.

No matter what ESPN showing all day all night means nothing. ESPN showed strong man tournaments and other crappy programming and I couldn't name one so called strong man neither could most of the US.

The writer may have brought up all kinda unnecessary "facts" but he was never talking about the US team or their exploits but about Americans in general and there is no real argument that the masses aren't interested.

So quit with your name calling because I could come up with names too but what would that prove  ???

I sound no less "intelligent" than you did by your ridiculously presumptive statement about people's understanding of the article.  You insist on focusing on the very minor point that most Americans don't follow football, while conveniently ignoring the larger point made in the article that interest in the sport is diminishing almost to the point of it being non-existent.

The author said NOTHING of "the majority of the US don't get it"... he said "USA still doesn’t get football" direct quote.  You might want to familiarize yourself with either English, or a good reading comprehension book before you start questioning people's understanding.

You could walk into any Hi-Lo, ScotiaBank or rum shop and ask 100 people to name 5 players from the Soca Warrior team that lost to Guyana in the qualifiers and you would struggle to find the same 10 to answer correctly.  So I'm not sure what this nonsense survey of yours would prove, except that Trinis must not "get" football either.

ESPN's increase broadcast reflects growing interest in the sport... quite the contrary to what is stated in the article.  But then again, it's clear that you self eh understand what's stated in the article, so no surprise that point is lost on you.

No one has suggested that the writer was talking about the US team and its exploits.  Yuh sure yuh read the comments here... and understand them?

Try yuh best and come up with names if yuh want... they might actually make more sense than the shit yuh posting right now.

STEUPS. You just like to argue yes.

You say something & figure is lawyer time, "I saying something and I sticking to it EVERYTIME REGARDLESS"

Actually, you could ask any 100 Trinis to name 5 Pro League teams and you would struggle. I know this because I actually did a survey in 2010 concerning North East. Obviously, it was a shock to me that Trinis (even those wearing EPL and La Liga football shirts) didn't know the names of the (at that time) 10 professional clubs.

Well unlike Americans who most of them don't get football and not interested, most of T&T just not interested in the Pro League PERIOD.

But like ah say in another thread, T&T doh properly advertise anything.

Last week I had at least 6 people ask me where Trinidad was, one ask if it in Africa, another ask if it was Trinidad in Colorado (despite having an obvious accent, which is why they asked in the first place) the other 4 just had no clue.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
LOL you still like name calling  ::)....when you start off like that yuh think yuh sound more intelligent than the writer you're criticizing?

I could easily bet you $10,000 that I could walk into any Starbucks, any Books-A-Million, any Walmart at random and ask 100 people about EURO 2012 and who are the teams, ask them to name 5 players from the US soccer team (their national team) that played Guatemala and would be lucky to find 10 people out of 100 who could answer those questions. THAT is what the writer getting at. They not that interested. PERIOD.

No matter what ESPN showing all day all night means nothing. ESPN showed strong man tournaments and other crappy programming and I couldn't name one so called strong man neither could most of the US.

The writer may have brought up all kinda unnecessary "facts" but he was never talking about the US team or their exploits but about Americans in general and there is no real argument that the masses aren't interested.

So quit with your name calling because I could come up with names too but what would that prove  ???

I sound no less "intelligent" than you did by your ridiculously presumptive statement about people's understanding of the article.  You insist on focusing on the very minor point that most Americans don't follow football, while conveniently ignoring the larger point made in the article that interest in the sport is diminishing almost to the point of it being non-existent.

The author said NOTHING of "the majority of the US don't get it"... he said "USA still doesn’t get football" direct quote.  You might want to familiarize yourself with either English, or a good reading comprehension book before you start questioning people's understanding.

You could walk into any Hi-Lo, ScotiaBank or rum shop and ask 100 people to name 5 players from the Soca Warrior team that lost to Guyana in the qualifiers and you would struggle to find the same 10 to answer correctly.  So I'm not sure what this nonsense survey of yours would prove, except that Trinis must not "get" football either.

ESPN's increase broadcast reflects growing interest in the sport... quite the contrary to what is stated in the article.  But then again, it's clear that you self eh understand what's stated in the article, so no surprise that point is lost on you.

No one has suggested that the writer was talking about the US team and its exploits.  Yuh sure yuh read the comments here... and understand them?

Try yuh best and come up with names if yuh want... they might actually make more sense than the shit yuh posting right now.

You say something & figure is lawyer time, "I saying something and I sticking to it EVERYTIME REGARDLESS"

Actually, you could ask any 100 Trinis to name 5 Pro League teams and you would struggle. I know this because I actually did a survey in 2010 concerning North East. Obviously, it was a shock to me that Trinis (even those wearing EPL and La Liga football shirts) didn't know the names of the (at that time) 10 professional clubs.

Well unlike Americans who most of them don't get football and not interested, most of T&T just not interested in the Pro League PERIOD.

Last week I had at least 6 people ask me where Trinidad was, one ask if it in Africa, another ask if it was Trinidad in Colorado (despite having an obvious accent, which is why they asked in the first place) the other 4 just had no clue.

I wouldn't say that advertising, or lack thereof, has anything to do with that.....that's just plain old ignorance! I don't mean to make sweeping generalisations, but Americans are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met.....ignorant of world geography, ignorant of world politics, ignorant of most things unrelated to the USA....I call it ignorance, but it may just as well be apathy...who knows..

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
I wouldn't say that advertising, or lack thereof, has anything to do with that.....that's just plain old ignorance! I don't mean to make sweeping generalisations, but Americans are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met.....ignorant of world geography, ignorant of world politics, ignorant of most things unrelated to the USA....I call it ignorance, but it may just as well be apathy...who knows..

If yuh go outside right now and put yuh ear to the ground, that faint rumbling sound yuh hearin is TT, Bakes and the ghost of John Wayne ridin fuh yuh
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

My sister lives near Memphis and we met some people for dinner at The Peabody. One well to do lady asked me what I thought of the new Pyramid. I said that I thought it was very apt. She look puzzled and asked why it was apt, so I said that it reflected the history of the original Memphis in Egypt and the pyramids there. She said "There's another Memphis?"
Now surely people are taught about their own cities and how they were named etc?  I mean USA is covered in towns and cities named after the hometowns of the original settlers.

But to be fair, how many Trinis could point to Namibia or Lesotho on a map? I'm damn sure most English people couldn't.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »

My sister lives near Memphis and we met some people for dinner at The Peabody. One well to do lady asked me what I thought of the new Pyramid. I said that I thought it was very apt. She look puzzled and asked why it was apt, so I said that it reflected the history of the original Memphis in Egypt and the pyramids there. She said "There's another Memphis?"
Now surely people are taught about their own cities and how they were named etc?  I mean USA is covered in towns and cities named after the hometowns of the original settlers.

But to be fair, how many Trinis could point to Namibia or Lesotho on a map? I'm damn sure most English people couldn't.

You would be surprised by how many can.

try this test allyuh
http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »

try this test allyuh

Like that app...but its tough! I was doing ok until I put the flag in the wrong continent...missed by 17,000 miles lol

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »

If yuh go outside right now and put yuh ear to the ground, that faint rumbling sound yuh hearin is TT, Bakes and the ghost of John Wayne ridin fuh yuh

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »

Can you blame them though, you never sure who in the league cause some team joining in the middle of the season and one dropping out every other week.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »

try this test allyuh

Like that app...but its tough! I was doing ok until I put the flag in the wrong continent...missed by 17,000 miles lol

How much yuh get...
I do alright...

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

truetrini

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Americans are very self centered and think that sports invented outside of America isn't worth playing or even watching,give them baseball,glorified netball(basketball)boxing,American football and athletics,oh and WWF.

Wouldn't even know where to start with this nonsense.
Ah got news for you pal Americans dont know shit bout football,as I say its only the immigrant population and their off-springs,you know very well what I mean.I would like to put that clearer,football,soccer to the Yanks has grown due to the immigrant population over the last 50  to 60 years,in 1950 when the USA beat England not one player was a bona fide American,now its the sons of immigrants.

You talk so much shit it eh funny.  It quite tiring.  I think whatever comes into your pin head you decide to spout as fact!

Listen dim wit

USA 1950 tam that beat England:

GK Frank Borghi …Born in the USA
DF Harry Keough …Born in the USA
DF Joe Maca..  Born in Belgium
 MF Walter Bahr MF…Born in the USA
Ed McIlvenny …Born in Scotland
 MF Charlie Colombo …Born in the USA
FW Frank Wallace  Born in the USA
 FW Gino Pariani ..Born in the USA
FW Joe Gaetjens FW  Born in Haiti
 John Souza FW  Born in the USA  Named as one of the world's best by brazil's leading sports papers too!
Ed Souza  Born in the USA

Now what dumb asshole?

In fact ka-ka hole...These United States of America has a fantastically rich and varied soccer history.

Football was played here as early as the 1860s—American football partly grew out of it—and threatened to become a major sport in the early 20th century, when basketball was still young game. (The first basketballs, in fact, were footballs cunnie wax.)

Chicago to St. Louis to Boston had professional teams, leagues, intra-city rivalries, and local stars. The country's oldest competition, the U.S. Open Cup, has been running since 1914.

Archie Stark, who played for Bethlehem Steel in the 1920s, was one of the greatest pure scorers of his day, in any country. Behind stars like Billy Gonsalves and Bert Patenaude, Team USA finished third at the first World Cup, and beat England in 1950 in what's widely seen as the biggest upset in World Cup history.

SO Biatch, pull your head out your asshole and take a breath...fart is not breeze!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:25:46 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »
Americans are very self centered and think that sports invented outside of America isn't worth playing or even watching,give them baseball,glorified netball(basketball)boxing,American football and athletics,oh and WWF.

Wouldn't even know where to start with this nonsense.
Ah got news for you pal Americans dont know shit bout football,as I say its only the immigrant population and their off-springs,you know very well what I mean.I would like to put that clearer,football,soccer to the Yanks has grown due to the immigrant population over the last 50  to 60 years,in 1950 when the USA beat England not one player was a bona fide American,now its the sons of immigrants.

America is a land of immigrants breds so dat is asshole talk.  Only bonifide americans are native indians.  So off de bat yuh argument is shit.  Middle and upper class children not born of first and second generation immigrants play football in america normel.  Most clinics and clubs meet at times that the average immigrant have no clue how to maneuver around because every man jack wukkin dem hours and the cost is often either out of range or necessitates cutting from somewhere else to afford.  So while it isn't the main sport to talk as if is only because of first and second generation current immigrants that it taking off is a gross misrepresentation of facts.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »
For me a key road block for Football becoming popular in the US is advertizing dollars.  The author, even though he didn't point to it directly, made the point.  American Football, Golf, Baseball, Basket Ball, Volley Ball, Tennis, on and on allows interruption for the prime reason of selling commercial product to viewers, front and center.  Football does not lend itself to that.  If it did they'll be all over it. 

Preacher, there are tons of ways to sell ads without in-game dollars... "official sponsorships" watermarks on the viewing screen, strategically-placed banners and logos... along with sponsorship of the half-time show (ala "the Lexus halftime report for the NBA), and commercial ads during halftime.

The problem isn't unique to the US.  Other broadcasters around the world are faced with the same problem of selling ads on a broadcast that cannot be interrupted except at halftime and have figured it out.  ESPN, Fox Soccer et all don't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to this, all they have to do is copy the template already set... which they have done.

Yeah I see your point.  But I'm not sure one size fits all when it comes to commercialized sports in America.  Here's why.  Freud had an American Cousin named Edward Bernays who in short is accredited for developing a process of systematic brainwash adopted by all major industries in his time.  His ideas became the breast milk of what is known today as effective PR.  To sum up his view, (which again is the bedrock philosophy for major industry and commerce in America) the masses can and must be told what to like.    If this is true, and I believe it is in American culture, how is a football market as great as this being ignored?   There is a lot of money to be made in 'soccer' more than Football.  So why isn't the American public being sold soccer like they are being sold everything else?     Seems like a glass ceiling is set and it's tied to advertizing dollars.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:43:10 PM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Yeah I see your point.  But I'm not sure one size fits all when it comes to commercialized sports in America.  Here's why.  Freud had an American Cousin named Edward Bernays who in short is accredited for developing a process of systematic brainwash adopted by all major industries in his time.  His ideas became the breast milk of what is known today as effective PR.  To sum up his view, (which again is the bedrock philosophy for major industry and commerce in America) the masses can and must be told what to like.    If this is true, and I believe it is in American culture, how is a football market as great as this being ignored?   There is a lot of money to be made in 'soccer' more than Football.  So why isn't the American public being sold soccer like they are being sold everything else?     Seems like a glass ceiling is set and it's tied to advertizing dollars.   

But the market isn't being ignored.  It was in the past because there wasn't as solid an appreciation for the sport as there is now.... but the market is not only alive, it is growing... by ANY objective measure:

Establishment of a domestic professional league
Thriving domestic league, home grown players
Expansion of the league
Improvement of the national teams
Growth in spectator interest in the men's game (not true of the WPL)
Expansion in youth participation
Corporate sponsorship of professional and national teams
Broader coverage of the sport nationally

... not sure how any right-thinking person could even say that interest in the sport isn't growing... or in your case, that the market is being ignored.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
Then the yute leagues does make all that money for the gear companys. It is absolutely amazing. But somebody mentioned lacrosse. That is slowly or rapidly(depending on who you talking) making it prescence felt on the sports scence. The uniform and equipment companies love it. Is sports. More sports, less mischeive.

truetrini

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
Just for Michael-J and Dutty.

Is dem dumb and ignorant Americans that gave the world
1. Internet so allyuh could talk shit to de world siting at home
2. Lasers
3 Satellites
4. MRI's
5. All dem movies yuh love so much
6.  All dem commercial aircraft yuh does fly on
7. Put a man on the moon
8. de light bulbs in yuh damn house
9.  The Atom Bomb
10. The Sextant that the Fatel Razack use to bring allyuh foreparents to T&T
11.  All em video games allyuh love to play
12.  The oil wells dat bring T&T plenty cash
13.  The motor cycle
14.  Toiet paper to wipe allyuh arse if not for yanks allyuh still using razor grass
15  The artificial heart
16.  Bubble gum so allyuh could use allyuh mouths for something other tahn talking shit
17.  Microwave
18  Remote control
19  The LED
20 Apple and Microsoft comes from where agin?
21  GPS so some ah allyuh could find allyuh ass and not mistake it for allyuh elbow

Many, many more...unparralled in the world..without the GREAT and MIGHTY USA This would be a shit planet run by people like Jack Warner  and Canadians

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »

But the market isn't being ignored.  It was in the past because there wasn't as solid an appreciation for the sport as there is now.... but the market is not only alive, it is growing... by ANY objective measure:

Establishment of a domestic professional league
Thriving domestic league, home grown players
Expansion of the league
Improvement of the national teams
Growth in spectator interest in the men's game (not true of the WPL)
Expansion in youth participation
Corporate sponsorship of professional and national teams
Broader coverage of the sport nationally

... not sure how any right-thinking person could even say that interest in the sport isn't growing... or in your case, that the market is being ignored.
[/quote]

There is no doubt that the sport is growing, heck the sport was growing since Pele was with Cosmos, when Becks was with LA.  Remember the big buzz about how Beckham would change the face of the game in America?  Growth in a sport doesn't determine if its going to be front and center.  Companies that advertise determine that.  For the greatest sport in the world to be so minimized by a 1st world country means that it is being ignored.   Just watch your TV and the coverage.  Advertisers money are tied up by their 1st tier sport, Football and that is what they are pushing.  You'll see poker front and center for no reason before you see soccer.   Why?  Poker and Lacrosse wouldn't ruin the market for their other big sporting brands.  But Soccer will kill the NFL if given a chance.  Soccer is so popular all over the USA but it's been given chair 5 or 6 and it will remain that way until the MNT win something really big and if then. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »
There is no doubt that the sport is growing, heck the sport was growing since Pele was with Cosmos, when Becks was with LA.  Remember the big buzz about how Beckham would change the face of the game in America?  Growth in a sport doesn't determine if its going to be front and center.  Companies that advertise determine that.  For the greatest sport in the world to be so minimized by a 1st world country means that it is being ignored.   Just watch your TV and the coverage.  Advertisers money are tied up by their 1st tier sport, Football and that is what they are pushing.  You'll see poker front and center for no reason before you see soccer.   Why?  Poker and Lacrosse wouldn't ruin the market for their other big sporting brands.  But Soccer will kill the NFL if given a chance.  Soccer is so popular all over the USA but it's been given chair 5 or 6 and it will remain that way until the MNT win something really big and if then. 

Nah Preacher... there is so much that yuh say that ent making sense, or just wrong here.  Football hasn't been growing since Pele and the Cosmos... in fact it was nearly dead after that.  Not only did the NASL fail, but for a time the only real professional presence the sport had in the US was MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League).  It took the 1994 WC to revive serious interest and demonstrate to advertisers that the sport could make money.

Then yuh say is advertising revenue that makes a sport number 1???  Advertising didn't make the NFL number one in the US, fan interest did.   Fan interest then sold advertisers on the sport.  You putting de egg before de chicken.  Advertisers not throwing money behind ah unpopular sport just fuh de sake of trying to make it number one.  They will throw they money behind a popular sport and ride de bandwagon to number one... that is how it works.

Also that is mad talk about Poker and Lacrosse surpassing soccer out ah some conspiracy to keep the NFL number one lol.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »

Nah Preacher... there is so much that yuh say that ent making sense, or just wrong here.  Football hasn't been growing since Pele and the Cosmos... in fact it was nearly dead after that.  Not only did the NASL fail, but for a time the only real professional presence the sport had in the US was MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League).  It took the 1994 WC to revive serious interest and demonstrate to advertisers that the sport could make money.

Then yuh say is advertising revenue that makes a sport number 1???  Advertising didn't make the NFL number one in the US, fan interest did.   Fan interest then sold advertisers on the sport.  You putting de egg before de chicken.  Advertisers not throwing money behind ah unpopular sport just fuh de sake of trying to make it number one.  They will throw they money behind a popular sport and ride de bandwagon to number one... that is how it works.

Also that is mad talk about Poker and Lacrosse surpassing soccer out ah some conspiracy to keep the NFL number one lol.

:rotfl:  Aight we go finish that over some beers. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 04:07:33 AM »

Micheal J, what kind of ppl you does be hanging out with bro?

unlike you i find that educated americans are quite fascinating. they are some of the most brilliant ppl i ever met, and well informed. they may not be up on current events, especially things of a political nature, but to say that those ppl are ignorant is just wrong.

i do admit that the younger generation is very dismissive and intolerant of other cultures, but the ppl in my age group is quite the opposite, they're well read, travel extensively and is very open to other cultures, you must be talking bout southerners or deep midwesterners, but city slickers on the both coast(who make up the majority of the population) is super aware.

PS: i think arrogant would have been a better word to describe them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:31:29 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
Just watch your TV and the coverage.  Advertisers money are tied up by their 1st tier sport, Football and that is what they are pushing.  You'll see poker front and center for no reason before you see soccer.   Why?  Poker and Lacrosse wouldn't ruin the market for their other big sporting brands.  But Soccer will kill the NFL if given a chance.  Soccer is so popular all over the USA but it's been given chair 5 or 6 and it will remain that way until the MNT win something really big and if then. 

Poker and world stroongest man are filler. Seeing it on TV does not mean that football is being downplayed anymore than it means that baseball or NFL is. They are dirt cheap for ESPN to purchase and can be shown at anytime they don’t have a live event.

ESPN shows a lot of live football but if there is no live game on it makes more sense to show poker or world’s strongest man than a replayed football game because they have a much more useful distributuion network for replayed games on ESPN3.

They have sooo much football available from every French, Italian, German, Dutch league and cup game that it doesn’t make sense to choose one or two to show in replay. Much better to stream it where, preseumably they pay lower rights with a fee per stream add-on.

It also allows them to get true market information about what people want to see.

The growth of football on TV in the US in the last 10 years has been absolutely phenomenal. ESPN has put a tonne of money to be in on the ground floor for the explosion that will happen in the next generation, not to stifle it. Fox has as well but they have always had the advantage of being part of a multinational broadcaster with strong ties to the EPL product.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 07:34:22 AM »

2. Lasers--
3 Satellites
48. de light bulbs in yuh damn house
9.  The Atom Bomb
11heart
1619  The LED
21  GPS so some ah allyuh could find allyuh ass and not mistake it for allyuh elbow

buh wuh trouble is dis,, how I geH rope in?...me eh attack yuh peoples mr reagan?

btw in the midst of yuh flag waving inventions list yuh fuhget to add in & out burger, oh and water and oxygen
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:40 AM »
Anytime I need a fix, there always seems to be classic re runs of great matches on ESPN and FSC. But obviously football will be oveshadowed by NFL, NBA and World Series baseball, and even college football and basketball.

I don't think this is a conspiroucy, its ecomomics. Advertisers will pay more money for spots in those shows. With the strong generational affiliation to teams playing US sports, the decision makers would prefer to put their bucks behind events they prefer.

Its similar in England where football is king and commands the highest ad fees.

In T&T the same applies to sponsorship where raising money for a fete is relatively easy, as to is cricket, but obtaining funds for football is hard.

The big companies would throw $100k at a fete where the relative brand recognition is short lived. Example: which company was main sponsor for Army Fete? Who sponsored Beach House? We can guerss at the usual suspects, but the truth is that these fetes become a dizzy memory.

The same $100k could, if the clubs were more professional, provide huge amounts of brand promotion and it could be great CSR.

So, who was North Easts main sponsors?
Who sponsored Jabloteh last season?

Maybe 25 matches shown on wi sports isn't a massive audience, but its repeat promotion over 10 months. If the clubs could find a way of producing replica shirts or at least sell T shirts as we did at NES, it gives more coverage for sponsors. Plus the press coverage of community events.

However, by sponsoring a fete, the brand manager gets free tickets and maybe meets Benjai or Faye Ann. They ain't interested in meeting Caledonia!!

Same as US advertisers. If my car dealership sponsors an NFL game, I get a skybox and my kid gets to meet a star quarterback, while if I sponsor Seattle Sounders vs FC Dallas, I get to watch a boring 0-0 draw and get to meet........that guy with the number 3 on his back. 

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 07:59:13 AM »
Approach the average person on any street in any country, and they doh know shit. I don't see how this became a trait exclusive to Americans.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »

2. Lasers--
3 Satellites
9.  The Atom Bomb
11heart
1619  The LED

buh wuh trouble is dis,, how I geH rope in?...me eh attack yuh peoples mr reagan?

btw in the midst of yuh flag waving inventions list yuh fuhget to add in & out burger, oh and water and oxygen

Now I don't want to split hairs with you here, but some of these can't really be deemed purely U.S. inventions, although in most cases, the US dollar certainly ensured that they moved from theories to actuality:

2. Einstein and Ladenburg (both Germans) were credited as completing the early research that was used to develop the laser.

48. Sir Joseph Wilson Swan (31 October 1828 – 27 May 1914) was a British physicist and chemist, most famous for the invention of the incandescent light bulb before its independent invention by the American Thomas Edison.

9. The Manhattan Project contained US, British and Canadian scientists. However the first credited research was carried out by the Curies (french)

10. Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727) invented the principle of the doubly reflecting navigation instrument (a reflecting quadrant or Octant ), but never published it. Two men independently developed the octant around 1730: John Hadley (1682–1744), an English mathematician, and Thomas Godfrey (1704–1749), a glazier in Philadelphia. John Bird, an English mathmatical instument maker) made the first sextant in 1757.

Better examples would have been the impact on vehicle manufacturing on production lines by Ford, and, yes, the efficient design of fast food systems, primarily by Ray Kroc at McDonalds in the late 50's early 60's.

USA may not be inventors of everything, but they certainly know how to finance them and turn them into viable business models.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

try this test allyuh

How much yuh get...
I do alright...

I keep playing the damn thing now! Got to level 11. Problem is you get one really wrong and you're toast lol. I put Sao Tome and Principe in the Caribbean which was 10,000 k wide of the target lol

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
[Now I don't want to split hairs with you here, but some of these can't really be deemed purely U.S. inventions, although in most cases, the US dollar certainly ensured that they moved from theories to actuality:

2. Einstein and Ladenburg (both Germans) were credited as completing the early research that was used to develop the laser.

48. Sir Joseph Wilson Swan (31 October 1828 – 27 May 1914) was a British physicist and chemist, most famous for the invention of the incandescent light bulb before its independent invention by the American Thomas Edison.

9. The Manhattan Project contained US, British and Canadian scientists. However the first credited research was carried out by the Curies (french)

10. Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727) invented the principle of the doubly reflecting navigation instrument (a reflecting quadrant or Octant ), but never published it. Two men independently developed the octant around 1730: John Hadley (1682–1744), an English mathematician, and Thomas Godfrey (1704–1749), a glazier in Philadelphia. John Bird, an English mathmatical instument maker) made the first sextant in 1757.

Better examples would have been the impact on vehicle manufacturing on production lines by Ford, and, yes, the efficient design of fast food systems, primarily by Ray Kroc at McDonalds in the late 50's early 60's.

USA may not be inventors of everything, ---you is ah madman

whey yuh get dat info from, some left wing comunist blog?

doh try and tie up we head wit all dat setta propoganda,, de usa invent EVERYTING breds...everyting!!!...even trees and grass
de ress ah de worl juss jealous
ah goin and eat piece ah apple pie and lissen good music

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »

2. Lasers--
3 Satellites
9.  The Atom Bomb
11heart
1619  The LED

Calm down pardna, I never used the word dumb. The word I used was ignorant. I didn’t mean they were ignorant of everything, ( in fact, it’s impossible for anyone to be ignorant of everything) I meant they are ignorant of/lack knowledge of issues unrelated to their own world or area of expertise.  It is all well and good for a scientist to be very knowledgeable about science, or a lawyer about the law, etc, but it is not unreasonable to expect such persons to also have some knowledge of the wider world ...and I don’t mean trivial details about some obscure topic; I mean international current events, world history, geography, etc...things that don’t require much effort to learn about.
Perhaps my mistake was singling out Americans as the only people guilty of this and for that I apologise...but I’m only basing my statements on my experiences.
Earlier this year I met this girl who recently went on a vacation to Barbados . I asked her how her vacation was and she said it was great but, “ I didn’t  know there were so many black people in the Caribbean !”  Guess where she was from   ::)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
[Now I don't want to split hairs with you here, but some of these can't really be deemed purely U.S. inventions, although in most cases, the US dollar certainly ensured that they moved from theories to actuality:

USA may not be inventors of everything, ---you is ah madman

whey yuh get dat info from, some left wing comunist blog?

doh try and tie up we head wit all dat setta propoganda,, de usa invent EVERYTING breds...everyting!!!...even trees and grass
de ress ah de worl juss jealous
ah goin and eat piece ah apple pie and lissen good music

:rotfl:

truetrini

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »

2. Lasers--
3 Satellites
9.  The Atom Bomb
11heart
1619  The LED

Now I don't want to split hairs with you here, but some of these can't really be deemed purely U.S. inventions, although in most cases, the US dollar certainly ensured that they moved from theories to actuality:

USA may not be inventors of everything, but they certainly know how to finance them and turn them into viable business models.

If Issac never published it, then what good was it to the world? Collecting dust in his library?  As for the Brits and the Sextant...again...John Bird if my memory serves me right developed a QUADRANT...I might be wrong always learned the first sextant was full designed and created in Philly.   Octant is also still different from a sextant..but you might say I am splitting hairs!

As for Edison I concede, he was known for tiefing people invention, bettering dem and patenting dem... he ahd too much English blood in him it seems.

Early research is one thing..perfecting the laser and using it practically is an entirely different kettle of fish..won't you say?  Glad to see you took time to google my list though.  Einstein was long living in the US and was a US citizen, as was Rudolf Ladenburg who was teaching at Princeton. Creating theories about light emission etc. is great, making them into Lasers, is as yankee as apple pie and blue jeans

Yes, the Manhatten Project was a mish mash of scientists from all over the world.

Initially the US were not interested in the atom bomb...mind you, Einstein was long a US citizen living in the US when the damn thing as finally perfected.  Hitler persecuted the Jews and Germany's loss was the USA's gain...still where was the bomb finally created, prefected?  USA

Forget the Curies, they did no work on bombs breds..Pierre and Marie are no more creators of the atom bomb than Hertz and Röntgen...the Bomb was US.

Adding the fast food system or the assembly line did not pass me, I just chose not to add them

truetrini

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »

2. Lasers--
3 Satellites
9.  The Atom Bomb
11heart
1619  The LED

Calm down pardna, I never used the word dumb. The word I used was ignorant. I didn’t mean they were ignorant of everything, ( in fact, it’s impossible for anyone to be ignorant of everything) I meant they are ignorant of/lack knowledge of issues unrelated to their own world or area of expertise.  It is all well and good for a scientist to be very knowledgeable about science, or a lawyer about the law, etc, but it is not unreasonable to expect such persons to also have some knowledge of the wider world ...and I don’t mean trivial details about some obscure topic; I mean international current events, world history, geography, etc...things that don’t require much effort to learn about.
Perhaps my mistake was singling out Americans as the only people guilty of this and for that I apologise...but I’m only basing my statements on my experiences.
Earlier this year I met this girl who recently went on a vacation to Barbados . I asked her how her vacation was and she said it was great but, “ I didn’t  know there were so many black people in the Caribbean !”  Guess where she was from   ::)

So what if she was from the US...I can ask simple questions to trinis and get IGNORANT answers...jes llok at some of de posters here...frico immediately comes to mind and he is trini living and using good air in London. 

1]; } ?>