April 26, 2024, 12:15:42 PM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 164460 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino Thread.
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »
Houston goalkeeper made a real boo-boo. Orlando 1-0. We boy Molino looking good!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Orlando looking terrible. The midfield for Orlando cannot put 2 passes together. They looking seriously bun.

The last 6-8 passes OC made before the goal was to Houston or Houston took it off them before a pass was made. , and then that goal came on a silly play.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
Orlando won. Yes their mid field eh that convincing. I wonder why the  coach took off Kaka. Kevin was lively. Made some nice one-twos with Kaka, but final pass went to Houston. We will see as the season goes.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
Elan sound like you only watch the latter part of the second half
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »
Kaka praise for Kevin  Molino.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

T&T midfielder Kevin Molino has been on the receiving end of some very warm words from Brazilian star Kaka.

Both players have received high ratings on their partnership for Orlando City in the opening weeks of the 2015 MLS season. Molino is yet to get on the scoresheet but Kaka is impressed by his ability.

“Now we just focus on what we have been doing in training during the week. My connection [in midfield] with Kevin Molino is getting better every day,” Kaka said.

“He is a smart guy and can do a lot of things on the field, and I think we can work well and do a lot of good things together.”

Molino, who is in T&T’s squad for next Friday’s friendly against Panama at the Ato Boldon Stadium, said his connection with Kaka has been nothing but cracking so far.

“It’s just been pure joy to be working with him in training and then going onto the field and executing. We’re getting better every day. Our understanding of each other and our styles and how we play the game is getting constantly improving. There is so much he brings to the team,” Molino said. “We’re enjoying the League. The fans have been superb and we are being inspired to do great things this season.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »
Orlando City, FOX Sports Florida / FOX’s Sun Sports Announce Statewide Television Agreement
ORLANDO – March 16, 2015 – Orlando City Soccer Club today announced a multi-year agreement with FOX Sports Florida / Sun Sports providing statewide broadcast coverage of the Lions’ regionally televised matches starting with the Club’s inaugural Major League Soccer (MLS) season.  In addition, all matches will be available in Spanish on Fox Sports Florida or Sun Sports via the SAP function.

FOX Sports Florida / Sun Sports will become the statewide television home of the Lions beginning with Orlando City’s next home game vs. the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, March 21, at 7:30 p.m. Eighteen Orlando City games are scheduled to be televised statewide between the two networks. Orlando City games will also be made available for live streaming on phone and tablets through the FOX Sports GO app.

FOX Sports Florida will re-air all Saturday evening Orlando City matches on Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m., allowing fans to re-watch all the action from the night before.
“Our fans across the state will now be able to follow their favorite team all season long thanks to this outstanding partnership,” said President and Founder Phil Rawlins. “As with our great partners at FOX 35, we look forward to working with FOX Sports Florida to deliver a first class broadcast for all our fans across the Sunshine State.”

"As the television home for Florida sports, FOX Sports Florida is proud to welcome the Orlando City Soccer Club to our programming line-up," said Tim Ivy, Director of Programming, FOX Sports Florida / Sun Sports. "Sports fans of all ages throughout Florida have shown an affinity for soccer and we look forward to bringing Major League Soccer and the Orlando City brand to viewers statewide.”

FOX Sports 1 is a league broadcast partner, televising the Sunday evening national game for MLS.  Orlando City is scheduled to appear on the national FOX Sports 1 telecast five times in 2015. 

A limited number of 2015 Season Tickets are still available, which provide the best seats in the house as well as additional benefits.  To purchase season, group or individual tickets, visit www.OrlandoCitySC.com or call 855-ORL-CITY.  Also, follow the latest Orlando City news and updates via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Link to schedule : http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2015/03/16/orlando-city-fox-sports-florida-fox%E2%80%99s-sun-sports-announce-statewide-television

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2015, 11:53:42 AM »
Man, Orlando doing everything right.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:57 AM »
To the people who are so hypercritical about OCSC, do you realize that the starting team is completely new and has never played together except in the preseason?  Molino, the first OCSC MLS signee,  is the only starter from the last year's team.  Many of those players did not receive contracts and are not with the club.  I was at the game against NYFC and though both teams showed signs of disorganization, Orlando deserved to win and Molino and Kaka showed signs of being an excellent combination.  Let's keep our powder dry and wait until about mid-season before we rant.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
To the people who are so hypercritical about OCSC, do you realize that the starting team is completely new and has never played together except in the preseason?  Molino, the first OCSC MLS signee,  is the only starter from the last year's team.  Many of those players did not receive contracts and are not with the club.  I was at the game against NYFC and though both teams showed signs of disorganization, Orlando deserved to win and Molino and Kaka showed signs of being an excellent combination.  Let's keep our powder dry and wait until about mid-season before we rant.
so wait dey decimate d team dat get them where dey is ah know d system in d state cold and lil ruthless...molino was d only fella on dat team could make d cut...I find dat hard to believe
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:58:11 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
so wait dey decimate d team dat get them where dey is ah know d system in d state cold and lil ruthless...molino was d only fella on dat team could make d cut...I find dat hard to believe

As ruthless as it appears, that is the nature of pro-sports. The management did not believe that their squad from the other lower league would survive the MLS. And Orlando got knocked out in the second rounds(I think) when they made the play-offs last year. US soccer may not have promo and demo, but when you move from the lower leagues to the MLS, you better change(improve) your squad to be able to compete.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
Believe it lefty

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
Believe it lefty
believe what? molino carried d team or dat dey dat ruthless
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
Believe it lefty

Breds, if they had used their last years team to play last Saturday, they would have been clobbered. The barely pulled of the victory.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
Believe it lefty

Breds, if they had used their last years team to play last Saturday, they would have been clobbered. The barely pulled of the victory.

ok cool just knew that they had a solid run in USL ws payin attention beyond that
I pity the fool....

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »
The game is 0-0 after 74. Is Orlando field natural turf or turf-field?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
The game is 0-0 after 74. Is Orlando field natural turf or turf-field?

turf
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2015, 07:35:44 PM »
Football is a cruel game. Vancouver scored in 95 min. When it appears to be a draw.Kevin had a chance, but was thwarted by the goalkeeper
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:07:50 PM by Deeks »

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
Orlando needs a new right back. That Ramos kid is terrible. Swear he didn't do one good thing all game.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2015, 06:33:05 AM »
Orlando needs a new right back. That Ramos kid is terrible. Swear he didn't do one good thing all game.

He was in MLS team of the week last round. Give him a chance. He is 19. Also most of Orlando team was suffering from a stomach flu and couldn't train in the days leading up to the game. He was one.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:50 AM »
Heartbreaking loss right there boyz. Worse feeling when u have like 3 mins to respond to a late goal.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
Molino says Warriors positive ahead of Panama clash.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino wants to see this country’s Senior Footballers step up to the call on Friday when they face a strong Panama outfit in a friendly international at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Molino trained with his teammates, several of them for the first time, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium as head coach Stephen Hard oversaw a lively session in the evening period as the players pushed themselves as they press for selection in the final eleven in the upcoming encounter.

There are now eleven players in the T&T team that will be aiming for their first senior appearance after national under 20 player Akeem Garcia got a late call as Rundell Winchester will not be flying in to join the team having been asked by the Portland Timbers to remain there on the weekend as he seeks to obtain a contract.

Molino said the mood in the camp and training sessions has been upbeat but he knows that the newcomers will have some nerves to overcome as he recalled his early days with the senior team.

“It’s always good for new players to come in. you can always learn from a younger player or a senior player. You can encourage the younger ones and encourage them for the future. And I’ll do whatever I can do to guide them on the right path along with the other senior players and the coaches.

“I’ve always said it’s very important to get a cap early in your career so that when you go into international competition or games you will not be shell-shocked . You want to get games under your belt as soon as possible. I was lucky to get  early caps under Russell Latapy at age 18 and it helped me along with my career now.  I just hope the guys can live up to the challenge and expectations and listen to what the coach has to tell them and I think everything will be okay,” he added.

The Carenage-born player described the preparations as positive so far.

“I see a lot of positive things in training. We are still learning more about each other as it’s not like a club when you get to spend long periods together. We’ve just got to come together this week and work as best as we can and pick things up quickly. I think so far things have been shaping up quite well and it’s just about getting ready for the game on Friday and going out there to give a good performance and build on it for the Gold Cup and the World Cup qualifiers,” the former Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive player said.

T&T faces Guatemala in its opening Gold Cup fixture on July 9th and Mexico a few days later. Molino sees Panama as proper opponents in preparation for these clashes.

“Panama have been improving rapidly and they have a strong Central American influence and style that is similar to Guatemala and Mexico. This game will give us a good idea of what we need to do in our approach for the Gold Cup games and the qualifiers later this year.”

Tickets for the T&T versus Panama encounter cost $100 and are available at Fan Club Movietowne (POS, Trincity Mall, Gulf City Mall), All Out Restaurant (QP Oval), Heritage Sports Tobago, Ramsingh's Sportsworld, Couva, Econo Supermart and Kenny's Sports Shops. Gates at the venue open at 4pm on Friday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »
Seven Orlando City players will represent home countries in upcoming round of international friendlies
Orlando City Soccer Club defenders Brek Shea and Conor Donovan join the roster of players representing their home countries during the FIFA international friendly window. Orlando City boasts the most international call-ups of any MLS team.

Shea, Orlando City's starting left back, has been called up to the U.S. Men's National Team (USMNT) and will travel to Switzerland to train before taking on Denmark in Aargus on March 25 (3 p.m. ET - ESPN2) and Switzerland in Zurich on March 31 (12 p.m. ET - Fox Sports 1), prior to the start of the 2018 FIFA World Cup TM qualifiers in June.

Donovan, the Lions' second round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft, will face Tottenham's U-21s on March 27 and England's U-21s on March 29 in preparation for the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015. Shea and Donovan are among seven Orlando City players representing their national teams, alongside Kevin Molino (Trinidad and Tobago), Estrela (Portugal U-20), Rafael Ramos (Portugal U-20), Darwin Cerén (El Salvador) and Cyle Larin (Canada).

"Obviously, I'm delighted for our players who have been called up for national team duty because I know how much it meant to me as a player," said head coach Adrian Heath. "But, more importantly, I think the recent call-ups really demonstrate the caliber of players we've brought in for our first season."

Shea has made 29 appearances with the USMNT, scoring on three occasions. The defender most recently featured for the USMNT in friendlies against Chile (January 28) and Panama (February 8), scoring a superb left-foot goal against the South Americans.

Donovan has made a total of 35 appearances with the United States' Youth Teams, including 29 for the U-17s and six with the U-20s. Most recently, the young center back participated in the CONCACAF U-20 Championship Jamaica 2015, earning his country a spot in the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015, starting in May 30th.

Since 2010, Molino has made 29 appearances for Trinidad and Tobago, finding the back of the net 12 times. Molino's most recent fixture with the Soca Warriors occurred on November 13, 2014, in the Caribbean Cup Finals against French Guiana where he finished as the team's top-scorer.

City's youngsters, Ramos, Estrela and Larin, will join their native countries for the first time since November 2014. Both Ramos and Estrela were previously called up by Portugal's U-20 side for a friendly against England, while Larin featured for Canada's senior team in a 1-0 loss against Colombia.

Cerén has made over 20 appearances for El Salvador in the past three years, scoring one goal and wearing the captain's armband on several occasions.

Orlando City SC travels to face the Montreal Impact on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. ET. The match will air on FOX 35 and FOX Sports Florida, as well as Real Radio 104.1 FM and La Grande 1030 AM. Orlando City then hosts D.C. United at the Orlando Citrus Bowl on April 3. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. ET.
http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2015/03/24/seven-orlando-city-players-will-represent-home-countries-upcoming-round

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »
Kevin Molino's National Team Call Up May Be Just What He Needs

The Trinidadian international's start to this season hasn't gone the way most had hoped, but getting to play with the Trinidad and Tobago national team might be exactly what the doctor ordered

After Kevin Molino's spectacular 20-goal season last year, there were high hopes for the 24-year-old midfielder coming into the big leagues. Molino's 2014 campaign with Orlando City saw him break numerous USL records, not only on the season, but career records as well.

Currently, he holds the fifth most career goals, most career assists, second most game-winning goals, second most overall points, and, of course, most goals in a season. These facts alone on paper warranted high expectations for Molino's first season in MLS.

However, like many of the young players on the roster, the Trinidadian is still looking to regain his form from last year. It's a different level of competition and a whole new core group of players to get used to. Three games into the season is still a small sample size, however, Molino was the go-to guy last year for goals, and with all the well-documented struggles that the forwards have been having so far, something needs to happen soon in order for Orlando to find success.

The big difference from last year to this year is Kaká, who was a pretty big deal for Orlando. Since he has arrived, Kaká has somewhat overshadowed Molino in terms of on-field presence, which is understandable. The Brazilian is a highly valued and respected player and is now looked upon as Orlando's go-to guy on the attack.

This may be affecting Molino and his ability to create for himself -- something that he was so good at last year. Instead of playing within himself, he always seems to be looking for Kaká as kind of a safety net. While this may not be a bad thing, it feels as if Molino is relying too much on Kaká creating chances, rather than creating them himself.

For the upcoming game in Montreal against the Impact, Molino will be headed back to his home of Trinidad and Tobago to play with the national team in an international friendly against Panama. Although this means he will miss the MLS match in Montreal, along with six other Orlando City players, this may be a very good thing for Kevin.

Within the national team, Molino will be the focal point of their attack. "Hot Boy," as he likes to be referred as, scored seven goals for the "Soca Warriors" last year, including a hat trick against the Dominican Republic in October.

Being so heavily relied upon for the team is akin to his situation in Orlando last year. If Molino can get on the score sheet and be a threat for Trinidad up top, he would be able to take that good form back to Orlando for the game at home against D.C. United in early April.

Often it only takes one goal to get a player on track. It's a mental block that needs to be broken. If Molino finds the back of the net come Friday, he'll be in great shape going forward into the bulk of Orlando's season.

Linkage: http://www.themaneland.com/2015/3/24/8281521/kevin-molinos-national-team-call-up-may-be-just-what-he-needs

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kaká and Molino: Two pro soccer players at opposite ends of the monetary turf
By Katie Sanders (Tampa Bay Times)

The Brazilian soccer star known as Kaká stares down at the ball, seconds from the biggest kick in the newest chapter of his storied career. Wealthy and well-known, his place in the sport is well established, his number on the backs of fans around the world. Kaká doesn't need this goal. But his new team does. Orlando City is losing its first game in Major League Soccer 1-0 with less than a minute on the clock. A wall of defenders waits 10 yards in front of him. The goalie squats low, hands stretched wide. For every reason, Kaká is the guy you want with the ball in this moment. But he would not be here without help from a teammate, a breezy 24-year-old named Kevin Molino.

A world apart

Molino and Kaká (Kuh-KAH) are partners on the field. As midfielders, the job of each is to control the game and set up opportunities for the other to score.

Their lives away from the field couldn't be more different.

There is no Molino No. 18 jersey to buy, no international acclaim.

Kaká, 32, speaks four languages, has played on three World Cup teams and for elite European clubs, and is the second-most-followed athlete on Twitter with 22.3 million followers, more than LeBron James.

Molino spent last year with Orlando City in the third division of American soccer, playing in front of 3,500 fans on some nights.

Kaká this year will make $7.2 million, more than any player in MLS, and more than the payrolls of several teams.

Molino will make $111,400.

Pregame

A few hours before Orlando City's debut March 8, the fans at the Citrus Bowl camp next to their vehicles, lobbing bean bags at purple cornhole sets and drinking beer.

The rowdiest among them charge toward the stadium 90 minutes early, hoisting giant flags, banging on quad drums and releasing canisters of purple smoke — purple is the team's primary color — into the air.

Kaká's No. 10 appears on the backs of more fans than any other player by far. In a survey of a half-dozen, not one can name another Orlando City player.

Liza Escoffery, 34, of Orlando can — Molino. Like Molino, she grew up in Trinidad and Tobago — where, as in the rest of the world, soccer is called football — and she has followed his career through the country's national teams.

"I would say he's one of our heroes in the country," she said later.

Escoffery could not find Molino's jersey online. So she waves a small Trinidad and Tobago flag — a dash of red and black in a purple sea.

Luring a team, a star

The story of how Kaká came to Orlando starts with a British man's big risk. Phil Rawlins announced in 2010 he was moving his minor-league team from Texas to Orlando, where he said it stood a better chance at joining Major League Soccer.

MLS was looking for a new franchise, and Rawlins reasoned that soccer in Orlando — with its younger population, international tourism and youth soccer following — would work after MLS teams in Tampa and Miami had folded nearly a decade before.

Rawlins needed to prove Orlando had a viable fan base over the club's four seasons in minor-league USL Pro, and two championships helped. He needed buy-in from city and regional leaders, who ultimately pledged taxpayer money toward an $110 million, 20,000-seat soccer stadium downtown.

Then, MLS franchise rights in hand, Rawlins and team majority owner and chairman Flávio Augusto da Silva, a Brazilian entrepreneur, needed a star.

They got Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite. To the world, Kaká.

When Rawlins and Augusto da Silva signed Kaká last summer to a three-year deal, Orlando City fans rushed him at the airport with songs, drums and flags. He has been Orlando's favorite four-letter word since.

"From the moment that I decided to invest in the club, the first person that we talked to was Kaká," Augusto da Silva said. "He's a very visionary guy because he would be able to play in any club in the world, but he accepted the challenge to come here and help build this sport in this country."

A slow start

Orlando City spends the first 30 minutes of its inaugural match feeling out fellow MLS newcomer New York City Football Club.

Then, a flash of brilliance. Kaká kicks the ball up to Molino and tears across the field. Molino nudges the ball to English teammate Lewis Neal, who passes it back, drawing in defenders.

Molino finds Kaká with a quick lateral pass. Kaká does not hesitate to kick the ball toward the top of the net. The crowd of more than 62,000 thinks the zinger is going in, but the New York goalie leaps and punches it away.

Still 0-0.

'The perfect man'

A few weeks earlier, 300 fans packed the ballroom of an Altamonte Springs Hilton for a faux tailgate with Orlando City, many hoping to meet its star.

Christian Ramirez, 25, came to see Kaká — from Texas.

Ramirez took three days off from her sixth-grade teaching job, packed up her Nissan Versa and hit the road with her mom and sister for 22 hours.

"He goes to church. He takes care of his family," Ramirez said of Kaká. "He is the perfect man to me."

The rest of the team mingled with fans for about a half-hour before Kaká came in wearing a purple and black Adidas warmup suit. He smiled for selfies and signed shirts and scarves. He even recorded a video message for a woman's friend.

It would have been easy to miss Molino facing a wall in the background, playing a soccer game on a PlayStation 4 with a boy.

Molino's teammates call him a goofball, and his outfits are flashy. For media day a couple of weeks later, Molino wore a trilby hat, shorts, canvas sneakers, a blingy Michael Kors watch and a gold rosary.

His voice is so soft you'll miss it unless you are uncomfortably close. It's not that he's shy. He's laid-back, a trait he attributes to his island upbringing. His no-worries attitude also makes him late for team events, a no-no that can result in a fine from coach Adrian Heath.

Heath sees promise in Molino, calling him last fall "one of the most talented footballers in America, period."

This season is huge. If Molino is as much of a threat in MLS as he was with Orlando while it was in the USL Pro league, the payoff could be literal.

"If he comes in and scores 20 goals in his first season, I can promise you that he will make more money," said Taylor Twellman, a former MLS forward and current ESPN analyst.

Second half, so close

Orlando City and New York enter the second half still tied 0-0.

A pass from Orlando City's Brek Shea, a bleached-blond winger who plays for the U.S. national team, pinballs around the top of the penalty box, right onto Molino's preferred right foot. Molino's shot skids by three defenders but not by the fingertips of New York's goalkeeper, who lays out and pushes the ball away from net.

Molino throws his arm and shakes his head.

The top 1 percent

The inequity in salaries between Molino and Kaká is the rule, not the exception, in MLS.

Kaká's annual wage of $7.2 million is more than what all but four of the league's then-19 teams spent on their entire roster last season, according to available salary information. Overall, 562 players made $121.7 million, more than $49 million of which was divided among just 14 stars.

It is by design. Unlike Major League Baseball, for example, where owners fight to sign the latest coveted free agent, driving up players' salaries in the process, MLS contracts are controlled by the league.

In MLS, players sign contracts with the league, which assigns the players to teams (there are 20 teams this year). Complicated rules affect who goes where and how much salary a player receives. One player, for example, ended up moving from Europe to New England last year based on a blind draw.

For Kaká, these intricacies are irrelevant. As an overseas star, he will be paid above the league's soft salary cap either way.

For players such as Molino, it's another story. Their value isn't determined by how good they are in America, but how they stack up on the international market. The league's median salary in 2014 was $80,000, or $92,000 in guaranteed compensation.

Texas State University professor Todd Jewell studies the economics of MLS, including salary distribution.

There is no way a player like Molino "is ever going to make $7 million in Major League Soccer," he said. "The only thing they can do is put themselves in a showcase and go to a league that pays more."

Molino isn't ready for that yet. Orlando helped him get permanent resident status in the United States and his first taste of American professional soccer.

"I think it's a good decision I made to stay here," Molino said. "Everybody knows me at the club, and I can build my resume."

A setback

The season opener also is important to MLS's other expansion franchise, New York City FC, and its stars.

New York signed David Villa from Spain's top league for around $6 million a year and U.S. national team member Mix Diskerud.

In the 76th minute, Villa passes to Diskerud, who takes a split-second shot that curves past three defenders and the fingertips of Orlando City goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

Diskerud races with his teammates to the corner of the field to celebrate with traveling fans. The rest of the stadium quiets.

1-0 New York.

Who is Kevin Molino?

Molino is often asked what it's like to play with Kaká. He ticks off his favorite Kaká moment: the time Kaká scored with Italy's AC Milan against England's Manchester United in the 2007 European Champions League semifinal. Kaká tapped the ball with his head between two defenders who collided, and Kaká chased the ball and scored.

Kaká isn't usually asked about playing with Molino.

"My connection with Kevin is getting better; it's improving every day," Kaká said. "He's a very good player. He's smart. He can do a lot of things on the field. So it will be nice to play with Kevin, and I think we can do a lot of things together."

Molino talked about his family, soccer and Kaká after the preseason dedication of a futsal court in the low-income Orlando neighborhood Parramore. (Futsal is a shorter-field version of soccer played on a hard surface, such as a street or a converted basketball court.)

Molino was running late to the ceremony with Mayor Buddy Dyer, team leaders and about 40 African-American kids lined up in two rows facing reporters. He ran straight for the back, and at 5 feet, 8 inches tall and 155 pounds, he blended in with the tallest kids.

Together, they squinted in the morning sun during the speeches and kicked around balls for the cameras.

A few years ago, two of Molino's older brothers were killed in separate but similar shootings in Trinidad. They died in their 30s. Molino said he helps support his family financially. He said he brings "bread to the house and stuff like that" but doesn't go into much detail.

Molino used to have roommates in Orlando, but now he lives alone so his young son, Kevin Jr., and girlfriend, who live in Trinidad, can visit. He returns home to play for the national team, for which his older brother Dwane James also plays.

Home is filled with "tough crime and negativity," Molino said. But it was there he found his interest in sports.

"At the end of the day I always know what I wanted," he said. "I always knew I wanted to be a professional football player."

Man down

With seven minutes left in the 90-minute match, Orlando City's chances of capping the historic day in victory are looking bleak.

Orlando City's Aurélien Collin, a Frenchman who has played in the United States since 2011, sprints after a loose ball, and his cleats collide with David Villa's legs, an egregiously hard tackle. Collin gets a red card, which means he has to leave the game and cannot be replaced. The crowd boos.

Orlando City, down one goal, is down one man, too.

'Work to do'

The topic of player pay dominated labor negotiations running up to the MLS season, nearly resulting in a players strike. Even the consistently polite Kaká seemed turned off when asked at media day if he thought his teammates are paid fairly.

"I have to say, sorry, I understand that this is the issue in this moment. For me, everything is new now. And the league works different than wherever I've played," he said. "I don't have too much information to say something more solid about this."

Ultimately, the union and league reached an agreement two days before the season's first game. Final negotiations are not over or public, but salaries will go up next season and some players will have more control over their pay, players union executive director Bob Foose said.

"We think we've made progress on that front, but we still certainly acknowledge that we have more work to do," Foose said.

Still, basic facts of economics — and human nature — remain a hurdle. Todd Jewell, the researcher from Texas State, has studied the "tournament effect" in sports, finding that differences in salaries can drive people to work harder. Everyone wants to be in a position where the highest salary is possible with hard work.

MLS's approach has the opposite effect. Top-tier salaries are unreachable for most players. Jewell's research found that uneven salary distribution can negatively affect an MLS team's winning percentage as players lose the incentive to work harder.

Last gasp

On the field, Molino and Kaká look like they're on the same level. Same purple jersey, same pulled-up socks. And in the last minute of their first MLS regular-season game, they have the same mission: Find a goal.

Orlando City players are fighting with more intensity, down to 10 players as they near the end of regulation and enter extra time.

Molino drives the ball toward the goal, dribbling past one defender. A second defender collides with him, drawing a foul. The moment is washed over in the highlights, but it is key. The penalty sets up a free kick, a situation in which a player gets to take a shot at the net as teammates and defenders stand in a line in front of the goal and its keeper.

Of course, the person taking that kick is Kaká.

His shot isn't pretty. It heads right, but the ball ricochets off the leg of a New York City defender. It throws off the goalie.

The ball bounces into the left corner of the net.

Goal! 1-1.

Thousands of fans release pent-up madness. Purple streamers and confetti shoot into the air and drift onto the field as the clock stops ticking and the referee blows the final whistle.

The game ends in a tie. The result isn't typically satisfying to most Americans, but on this day, it works.

"Everything that happened tonight was incredible for everybody. We are building something very special," Kaká tells reporters after. "When I saw the ball go inside the goal, it was amazing. I really wanted to score the first goal for this team."

As Kaká speaks, his teammates change in the locker room. Molino is happy the foul he drew set up Kaká's tying kick. But he is disappointed about his near miss, the one after halftime. "I wanted it very bad," he says.

Like Kaká, he is paid to score goals.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
Molino trending on Twitter  :'(

https://twitter.com/search?q=Molino&src=tren

Trends · Change
#ORLvDC
Passover
Molino
Sarah Brady
#BSBTheMovie
#ReclaimAustralia
Citrus Bowl
#callmeseb
#WILvCLT
Easter
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »
Yes, Kevin needs to put these chances away. He is playing good otherwise, but he needs to be clinical and score the one on one. He had about 2 one on one and another chance. If they continue to lose, he will be benched.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
Yes, Kevin needs to put these chances away. He is playing good otherwise, but he needs to be clinical and score the one on one. He had about 2 one on one and another chance. If they continue to lose, he will be benched.

He won't be benched.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »

He won't be benched.

And why? Breds, in pro football one day you is the top dog, next day you is the fire hydrant..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:52:24 AM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino still waiting for first MLS goal with Orlando City
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
Kevin Molino still waiting for first MLS goal with Orlando City
By Ken Hornack (FOX Sports Florida)

Through its first five MLS regular-season matches, the progress of Orlando City SC has been noticeable, even if goals and victories continue to be hard to come by.

A frustrating pair of 1-0 losses at home in stoppage time, including last Friday night to D.C. United, can't completely overshadow what the team has been able to accomplish. Coach Adrian Heath was pleased in general with the effort shown in its most recent match, when Orlando City finished with a 17-11 advantage in shots and kept its third consecutive crowd of more than 30,000 fans at the Citrus Bowl entertained.

"I had a couple chances where I should have scored," midfielder Kevin Molino said Tuesday after a training session in preparation for Sunday's upcoming match at Portland. "But the most important thing is that it's early in the season. We still have a chance to capitalize on our chances."

Molino, who scored 20 goals last season for Orlando when it was part of the USL PRO, had a shot which rattled off the crossbar in the 30th minute and found himself staring at another scoring opportunity shortly before halftime after taking a pass from Kaká. Much like a power hitter in baseball who might find that first home run of a season somehow difficult to get, the 24-year-old native of Trinidad and Tobago believes he is on the verge of busting out.

The struggles on offense could remain an issue after forward Pedro Ribeiro tore a hamstring in the first half of Friday's contest, an injury which will sideline him for at least the next two months. Ribeiro, who has developed a strong bond with fellow Brazilian Kaká, recorded a goal and an assist in Orlando's 2-2 draw at Montreal where he and Kaká struck within minutes of one another.

But Molino is far from discouraged.

"With the quality we have here," he said, "sooner or later we'll get things going."

The match at Portland will be a homecoming for Orlando goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, who played for the Sounders for the entire 2013 and 2014 seasons. Ricketts has been in goal for all five matches, and while he and the rest of Orlando City might be tempted to kick themselves for wins or draws which got away, they can't quibble too much for currently sitting sixth in the 10-team Eastern Conference with 29 matches still to go.

"We haven't gotten the wins that we needed," Molino said. "But when I look at the games, we've played totally good football for 90 minutes."

1]; } ?>