March 28, 2024, 01:56:25 AM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 162327 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino Thread.
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
Molino coming into his own
uslsoccer.com

As the excitement of winning a championship last September died down, Orlando City’s Kevin Molino knew he had a big offseason ahead of him.

There was World Cup qualifying for his home country, Trinidad and Tobago, and the prospect of Olympic qualifying in the spring. And then there was also the work that would need to be put in to continue his development as one of the brightest young players in USL PRO.

Having already surpassed his points total from the 2011 season, including currently leading the league in assists, while also having notched his first two goals at international level for Trinidad and Tobago, Molino’s play has continued along the path he envisioned nine months ago.

“Since I was small I have been training and working hard,” Molino said. “I always wanted to play, and I always wanted to get better and better.”

His move to the U.S. to join the Lions has certainly helped that process along. Spotted by Orlando coach Adrian Heath when he took a trip to scout another player in the Digicel Caribbean Cup, the former U17 and U20 international was quickly snapped up before the start of the 2011 season.

“I went down to Trinidad to watch some games, I went to watch somebody else, and the first time I saw Kevin he took my eye,” Heath said. “I was fortunate enough to find out he was out of contract, and then we managed to bring him in. The kid has great talent, he’s a talented boy, and we’re pleased with his progress. He’s still got a lot to learn, but I think long-term he’s got a huge upside.”

Molino has certainly enjoyed himself since arriving in Orlando.

“It’s just a great feeling,” Molino said. “Playing away from home, playing in an atmosphere like this and with more quality, you always want to play at a high level, and I think this has made it better for me.”

That’s not to say there hasn’t been a learning process since his move to Florida. That included adapting on the field, where his game developed greater discipline than he’d been used to growing up in the Caribbean. But for a player whose ultimate goal is to continue the tradition established by fellow countrymen Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Stern John, the higher level of competition, both with Orlando and with his national and Olympic team, provided a big boost in his progression as a player.

“As a player, you always want to play at a high level,” Molino said of his experience at Olympic qualifying, “and we got to play against Mexico, which is one of the top teams in the world when you look at it, and Panama and Honduras. We didn’t get the result we wanted, but we’re going to keep our heads up and keep moving on.”

While Molino has five assists already this season, and has been a strong creative force in each of the Lions’ games, the next step of his progression is to start finding the back of the net more often. Molino has scored twice, matching his regular-season total from a season ago, but Heath is expecting the 22-year-old to start finding the back of the net on a more regular basis.

The lack of goals certainly hasn’t been for a lack of effort on Molino’s part. His 15 shots are third on the Lions after Jamie Watson and Dennis Chin, and with the way he has applied himself in the past to building his game, Heath believes Molino’s progress will continue on an upward path.

“He was always a very good individual, and now he’s starting to put it into a team concept,” Heath said. “He has a beautiful feel for the final pass. His quality in the final third has to be a little bit more consistent, but when Kevin plays at his best, he’s a joy to watch. He really is a joy to watch.”

As he continues to mature as a player, and the expectations for his play continue to grown, the questions might not be whether Molino can fulfill his potential, but how far he might go when he does.

“I think more and more now, people expect things of him,” Heath said. “People know he’s talented, and I know the Trinidad people within their setup have huge hopes for him. He’s their next generation of player, from the Stern John’s, Dwight Yorke’s, Russell Latapy’s, people like him are the future of Trinidad football, and if he keeps progressing, keeps listening, keeps learning, I really believe he can play at the highest level.”

As with many players, Molino would love the opportunity to play in Europe one day. For now, though, he’s eager to continue to play, and learn, in Orlando.

“At the end of the day, you want to win,” Molino said. “But I enjoy playing nice football, which we play here in Orlando. I’m just enjoying every single moment.”

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:44:35 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Molino MVP at Orlando City.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:56:52 AM »
Molino MVP at Orlando City.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T midfielder Kevin Molino was awarded the Most Valuable Player Award by Orlando City at the club’s gala end-of-season awards and dinner at Rosen Plaza, Orlando on Saturday evening.

Molino, in his second season with Orlando, helped the team capture the regular season USL Pro title and they now await their first playoff match on August 31st. The 22-year-old Carenage-born player was elated.

He beat out teammate Dennis Chin, who was the club’s topscorer with 11 goals. Molino had four goals and led the team with eight assists in the regular season.

“It’s been a dream I’ve had from a little guy, to win titles and do well in professional football, and to come to Orlando and win the MVP in my second season is a great feeling,” Molino said. “I know I was having a good season but I didn’t expect the award.

"I want to thank God, as well the head coach Adrian Heath (former Manchester City player and former Sheffield United manager) and the entire staff as well as my teammates, everyone at the club and the supporters for all their support and advice. It’s been a great two years for me at Orlando City.

“We want to achieve great things, so we are focusing on winning the playoffs again this season. I think I’ve kept on developing since I came to City, and now I want to achieve even greater things. It’s not going to come easily but I’m prepared to work hard and go at it.

That’s the key in the football out here,” he added. Molino played all of 90 minutes in T&T’s 2-0 loss to Canada last Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale.

He wasn’t too impressed by the result and could not be blamed for feeling disappointed. “I don’t like losing and it’s not any better especially when we lose to a side that I think we’re not supposed to be losing to.

I understand that we haven’t been together for long, but I thought we created some chances and did well in the first half. We passed the ball around okay and we should have taken our chances.

That would have made the game easier for us but then some of the guys started to get tired and we paid for it in the second half.

“I got my first real taste of international football in the last Digicel Caribbean Cup and once I’m available I want to play in all of our matches in this tournament and try to get us into the last phase and see if we can at least get to the final and try and win it.

It’s going to be very hard but we have to give it our best shot. We have to be looking to play in the Gold Cup next year for sure,” Molino ended.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Molino MVP at Orlando City.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »
great stuuf, love this fella attitude
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
Wish him nothing but the best. Would like to see him get trials in europe sooner rather than later
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Total class act. Very appropriate choice of words. Molino is it.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
Molino was born in Arima, not Caranege.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »

Offline StarKid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
Ongrats to de Kevin. Really doing well and hope he continues to do well. Best player in tnt at the moment

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino cops the 2012 USL PRO Most Valuable Player Award
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
USL PRO Awards Winners Announced.
uslpro.uslsoccer.com

USL PRO honored its top performers of the season today, announcing the Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year, Defender of the Year, Goalkeeper of the Year and Coach of the Year from the 2012 season.

The winners were announced at an awards ceremony in Charleston, South Carolina, site of Saturday’s USL PRO Championship Game featuring the Charleston Battery and Wilmington Hammerheads at Blackbaud Stadium.

Voting for the awards was conducted by league coaches and managers.

Most Valuable Player – Kevin Molino, Orlando City
The Trinidad and Tobago international claimed MVP honors after a standout season that saw him act as a catalyst for an Orlando side that led USL PRO with 50 goals, an average of more than 2.5 per game. Molino himself finished second in the league with seven assists, adding three goals, but in addition his ability to stretch the field against opposing defenses made him the key figure for the Lions’ attack all season.

Rookie of the Year – Jose Cuevas, Charleston Battery
A season after starring in the PDL for the Fresno Fuego, Cuevas brought creativity and versatility to the Battery’s attack throughout the season. Playing as both a forward, and at times an attacking midfielder, Cuevas led all rookies with 18 points, scoring seven goals and adding four assists, as he helped the Battery finish third in the USL PRO regular season.

Coach of the Year – Adrian Heath, Orlando City
Named Coach of the Year for the second consecutive season, Heath’s ability to motivate and get the most out of his roster led to the Lions falling just once in the USL PRO regular season. Orlando has now gone undefeated at the Florida Citrus Bowl in the past two regular seasons, with Heath also helping fulfill the potential of the league’s leading scorer Dennis Chin in his second professional season.

Defender of the Year – Troy Roberts, Rochester Rhinos
Calm and in control at the heart of the Rhinos’ defense, Troy Roberts had another exceptional season in 2012. Named to the USL PRO All-League defense for the second consecutive season, Roberts played every minute of every game as the Rhinos conceded an average of less than a goal per game.

Goalkeeper of the Year – Kristian Nicht, Rochester Rhinos
In his first season in North America, the German standout put in a remarkable run to open the USL PRO season, recording six consecutive shutouts. Nicht continued his outstanding play throughout the remainder of the season, finishing the season with the league lead in shutouts (11), second in goals-against average (0.909) and fourth in total saves (86).

The Charleston Battery will host the Wilmington Hammerheads in the 2012 USL PRO Championship Game on Saturday night at Blackbaud Stadium at 7:30 p.m. ET, with the game being aired live at USLNation.com.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:33:26 AM by Flex »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino cops the 2012 USL PRO Most Valuable Player Award
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Wow! Big congratulations to the youth. Time to knock on the door of europe. If the league was aligned to a more international timing he could have been better placed in the market.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
I believe this is the first time one of our players has won this award.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
I know Yorke won Carling Player of the Year

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

Ah meant this specific MVP Award in the A-League/USL PRO. We've had many, many players in that league, but none have won the top League award.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

Ah meant this specific MVP Award in the A-League/USL PRO. We've had many, many players in that league, but none have won the top League award.

Yeah I don't remember hearing that anyone of our players ever won it.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »
Molino takes home USL Pro 'MVP' award.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Kevin Molino was named the “Most Valuable Player” for the 2012 season of the USL Pro Division, the second tier of league football in the United States.

Molino completed another outstanding season with seven  assists and three goals to help his Orlando City to the regular season title.

The winners were announced at an awards ceremony in Charleston, South Carolina on Friday with Orlando coach Adrian Heath also taking away the “Coach of the Year “ award.

The 21-year-old Molino was delighted as ever. He also received the "MVP" award at Orlando recently.

“It’s a really great feeling to get this award,” he told TTFF Media.

“I wanted the club MVP award which I got a couple weeks ago but I don’t think I was really expecting to get MVP for the League. It’s a bit of a surprise but I’m happy because hard work and belief in God throughout everything paid off for me.”

Heath has spoken of his fears of losing Molino to a club in Europe and it is expected that a decision on the player’s future will be made within the next few days.

“I have always had an ambition to play in Europe but I will play wherever God wants me to. Orlando has been great to me. I have enjoyed these two seasons with them a whole lot,” Molino said.

The League’s statement on Molino read: “The Trinidad and Tobago international claimed MVP honors after a standout season that saw him act as a catalyst for an Orlando side that led USL PRO with 50 goals, an average of more than 2.5 per game.

Molino himself finished second in the league with seven assists, adding three goals, but in addition his ability to stretch the field against opposing defenses made him the key figure for the Lions’ attack all season.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
Molino is suchhhhhhhh a good player its absolutely amazing to me that he isn't in Europe or at the very least in the MLS. Does this guy have an agent and does that agent have a clue? Toronto FC could use a player with his skill set.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
Molino is suchhhhhhhh a good player its absolutely amazing to me that he isn't in Europe or at the very least in the MLS. Does this guy have an agent and does that agent have a clue? Toronto FC could use a player with his skill set.

I admire his humility etc. But the window to break into the top leagues in Europe is tiny. Naturally they prefer to get you YOUNG. He isn't getting any younger. Both Yorke and Kenwyn were teenagers when they went to Villa/SouthHampton (or whatever club KJ first went to) etc. I hope both he and his agent are aggressive enough to not drop the ball. Time to strike while the iron is hot; while his stock is high.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
Like the german said, MILLION DOLLAR LEGS, no lie.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
He should be looking to head to the MLS next season as a minimum.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

He was on trial last year with Real Salt Lake, but nothing came of it.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

He was on trial last year with Real Salt Lake, but nothing came of it.
Clearly the youth have talent and I hope he fulfill his potential, but man done signing de fella to Crystal Palace and ting arready.

Offline StarKid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
is he going to crystal palace?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
is he going to crystal palace?
Lol, no.
I'm saying the man starring in a league two rungs below MLS. I hope the best for him, but men getting carried away.
Stepping stone talk.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Orlando City Soccer Club has announced its first official signing!

Midfielder Kevin Molino will be OCSC's first-ever MLS signing for the 2015 season. Molina will have a guaranteed spot on the 2015 MLS squad and will play in the final USL Pro season this year.

"Kevin was out of contract with us and was being courted heavily in Europe and the States. He's turned down deals from several MLS teams to stay with us in Orlando. That says a lot about his love for this club," said Adrian Heath, head coach of OCSC.  "He will be a great asset for us again in '14 and moving forward into MLS."

Molino is a top performer for the club and Orlando City is fortunate to have him.

What do you think of the signing?

Brush up on Lion facts here.
http://orlando.about.com/b/2014/01/10/orlando-city-announces-first-mls-signing.htm

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good to see Molino still in the frame - was worried when he went unattached

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Will be a great player for T&T too as an attacking play-making midfield just tucked in right behind the out and out striker and capable of being moved around anywhere in the attacking midfield. Very good work rate and hungry with tendency to score alot with very accurate shooting suggesting good technical skills. Very good ball control and thinks very fast. Protege of the great Russel Latapy. Orlando is very lucky to keep him as he was ready for the big stage. All you European and MLS scouts who surf this website, watch for him against Argentina in June
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Will be a great player for T&T too as an attacking play-making midfield just tucked in right behind the out and out striker and capable of being moved around anywhere in the attacking midfield. Very good work rate and hungry with tendency to score alot with very accurate shooting suggesting good technical skills. Very good ball control and thinks very fast. Protege of the great Russel Latapy. Orlando is very lucky to keep him as he was ready for the big stage. All you European and MLS scouts who surf this website, watch for him against Argentina in June
The way the MLS is growing I think if he went to Europe now he'd be playing in the lower division but maybe in 3 years and with the attention the MLS gets, his stock grows and he ends up in England's Champions league.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Smart pickup.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Don't know about the heady heights you guys are referencing, but the MLS is probably English Championship level if a little lower. Playing well in the MLS sadly doesn't attract attention of the highest level right now - hope you're right about in the next couple years. Possibly the MLS expansion will really do wonders for the competitiveness.

1]; } ?>