March 28, 2024, 08:46:17 AM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 162365 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino Thread.
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2015, 06:38:30 AM »
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Kaká recommends Kevin Molino to AC Milan.

Any suggestions for Galliani (Vice President of AC Milan)?
Kevin Molino, he’s from Trinidad, a good attacker. He must grow and learn but can do well.

http://www.rossoneriblog.com/2015/04/10/kaka-my-nostalgia-for-milan-will-never-go-away-juve-the-example-to-follow-life-is-good-in-the-usa/
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
Brilliant..Kevin is obviously making an impression on him. Keep it up Nashy

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Nice compliment. Hope it works out.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
Now see some MLS highlights from last week.  Molino had some good plays and hit the V with a bullet.  They gave up a free kick goal in the 91st minute though, and lost.  Bad form.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2015/04/03/highlights-orlando-city-sc-vs-dc-united-april-3-2015

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Watching the Orlando vs Portland Timbers game on TV and to my mind, I can clearly see Molino's problem:

He defers way too much to Kaka.  Almost every time he gets the ball, he's looking for Kaka.  He gets in a good position to shoot and he instead chooses to pass to Kaka.

The coach Adrian Heath going crazy on the sideline when Molino does that because that's not the Molino he knows.  The commentators saying he has been frustrated all season because in the USL last year.....Molino just had to sniff a chance and he would shoot.  This year....he laying off the ball

Orlando playing a nice brand though.  Impressive for a first year outfit

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2015, 02:03:33 AM »
... After everything Kaka has said favorably in public re: Molino, that might be "understandable". Molino to self: Hmmm boy, feed Kaka and eat ah 'bigger food'.

More seriously, I imagine the bridge between deference, mutual respect and 'junior partner' is not an easy one to navigate mentally. However, whatever the reality, Molino needs to be surgical, clinical and appropriately selfish. The only way to notch goals is to take responsibility.

If things are as transparent as that, Heath should be able to sort that out. He himself seems to have navigated/risen to the challenge of coaching a footballing icon.

Some of our older head ballers have shared the field with brand name ballers ... might be a useful conversation for them to share their experiences with Kevin.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:07:38 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2015, 05:37:16 AM »
I imagine the bridge between deference, mutual respect and 'junior partner' is not an easy one to navigate mentally. However, whatever the reality, Molino needs to be surgical, clinical and appropriately selfish.

Could not have said it better.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
Watching the Orlando vs Portland Timbers game on TV and to my mind, I can clearly see Molino's problem:

He defers way too much to Kaka.  Almost every time he gets the ball, he's looking for Kaka.  He gets in a good position to shoot and he instead chooses to pass to Kaka.

The coach Adrian Heath going crazy on the sideline when Molino does that because that's not the Molino he knows.  The commentators saying he has been frustrated all season because in the USL last year.....Molino just had to sniff a chance and he would shoot.  This year....he laying off the ball

Orlando playing a nice brand though.  Impressive for a first year outfit

Spot on Palos, I didn't see yesterdays game but ah was noticing the same thing in the Vancouver game. And is not just Molino, I find the whole side seem to be always looking for Kaka.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 13, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Agreed the whole team is getting me upset with that.  Kaka lost the ball almost everytime he got it yesterday. 

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »
Kaka would recommend Orlando City's Kevin Molino to AC Milan
Kevin Molino playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world in Serie A? Kaka thinks it’s possible.

In a recent interview with gianlucadimarizo.com about his days in Italy, the Orlando City superstar, Kaka, was asked if he would recommend anyone to AC Milan as a possible transfer down the road.

His response: “Kevin Molino. He comes from Trinidad. He must grow and learn, but he could do well.”

Kaka has been nothing but impressed with Molino since he’s gotten here in Orlando. On the team’s final media day before the season, he said that Molino was the most impressive player on the team. For Kaka to come out and say that Molino is good enough to compete with the Best of the Best at AC Milan is something special.

Molino has yet to find the back of the net through four MLS games after lighting up the scoresheets for the Lions in USL. He’s come close a couple of times, but is still searching for that first goal.

Could a couple of big seasons in MLS make an overseas move possible? I wouldn’t rule it out.

————————-

In the interview, Kaka was also asked about his career with the Brazilian national team and whether or not his days playing for his country are over.

“At the end of 2014 I made ​​two appearances in friendlies with Argentina and Japan. Then in the two subsequent issues not called me.” Kaka said. “[Carlos] Dunga knows me, knows what I can give. And I do not think that the fact of being in the MLS can block my way. I’m waiting for it. If I do well here and play with continuity, I know I have the opportunity. ”

http://otowns11.com/2015/04/10/kaka-would-recommend-orlando-citys-kevin-molino-to-ac-milan/

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
Idk...seems like everyone passing to kaka because it's kaka...The football superstar. ..they need to get over ot..because kaka is nothing without his team...everyone still star struck..molino included...best advice. ..molino if u see a chance take it papa! You become a star!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Orlando City’s Kevin Molino finding his groove in MLS
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
Orlando City’s Kevin Molino finding his groove in MLS
By Sean Rollins (orlandocitysc.com)

Kevin Molino made a name for himself in USL. In his four years with Orlando City in America’s third division, Molino was twice named league MVP.  In 2014, the midfielder broke the league’s single season scoring record previously held by former teammate and current Sporting Kansas City forward Dom Dwyer, by netting 20 regular season goals.

Molino is only one of two players that was with the club prior to being announced as an MLS expansion side (defender Luke Boden being the other) and the only one to be a regular starter.  Now five weeks into the regular season, Molino has had time to adjust to playing at the higher level and has been able to pinpoint the differences between the two leagues.

One of the biggest differences Molino points out is the lack of opportunities against MLS defenders.  “You must take your chances because you might not get another,” Molino says, “You have to take full advantage.”

After scoring seemingly at will a season ago, Molino has found it difficult to find the net in 2015.  Part of that is the change in position from central midfield to right midfield which Molino describes as having “more defensive responsibilities.”  However, he knows that he must convert the chances he gets.  “When I get opportunities, I have to take advantage.”

As a club veteran, Molino believes that accountability is a part of leadership.  “I have to take full blame for it (lack of goals).  I have to score the chances I get.”  But he also knows that he’ll continue to have the ability to change his fortune.  “I’ve had plenty of opportunities in the first five games.  It’s just a matter of getting one in.  I must stay positive and when I get the opportunity, I need to take advantage and score.”

The positivity Molino expresses isn’t just personal, but comes from his teammates.  While Orlando City is known for its youth, some of the club’s MLS veterans have been key in keeping the 24-year-old in the right frame of mind.  “There is a great bunch of guys in this team.  They always motivate me to do great things.”

But even with the support of his teammates, Molino has found several challenges which differentiate the two American leagues in which he’s played.  “The biggest thing is training,” Molino says.  “When you train, you want to show your quality.  And coming to the training park we must learn each other.”  It’s part of the day-in, day-out grind of playing at an MLS club.

While training is the most important, the most difficult challenge is the opposing atmosphere.  “It might be Portland, it might be cold, you might go to New York and it’s a different atmosphere so you just have to get used to it and be ready to be up for the challenge.”  The travel and atmosphere are much different than his home country of Trinidad and Tobago.  “At home you just have one stadium home and away.  But here you have different stadiums with different atmospheres.  Sometimes cold, sometimes hot.  So that’s the thing for me.”

It’s been a big adjustment for Kevin Molino moving from USL to MLS but he’s taking it in stride.  Six games in and the midfielder is clearly more comfortable playing in MLS, scoring his first assist on a beautiful cross that was cleverly chested in by teammate Cyle Larin.  And, with full confidence from head coach Adrian Heath, Molino knows he will find himself on the score sheet soon enough – saying, “Just work hard and stay positive.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The ebbs and flows of Orlando Midfielder Kevin Molino
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2015, 04:33:19 AM »
The ebbs and flows of Orlando Midfielder Kevin Molino
By Austin David (themaneland.com)

Kevin Molino has been around since the beginning of Orlando City SC. Now that he's played six games in MLS, we look at his career arc as a whole.

Kevin Molino has seen it all in Orlando. Having been with Orlando City since its inception, the Trinidad and Tobago international has had his ups and downs in his career in the United States. His game has adapted every year and, whether it be scoring or creating, he's always been a key to Orlando's attack.

However, this year is a bit of a transition for the 24-year-old. Not only is almost the entire team different from last year, but he's playing with and against better competition.

After scoring the most goals he has ever scored in his career last year in USL, Molino has looked a bit more apprehensive when it comes to scoring in 2015. Many pundits and media have commented that he looks a bit lost in the final third and tends to use Kaká as a safety blanket. Those who know Molino's game last year know he can be a confident finisher in the final third.

One of the biggest possible differences, other than the upgrade in competition, is his position. For his first three years in USL, Molino played on the right wing. He tallied only seven goals and 13 assists for those years, and won the 2012 MVP of the league.

However, in 2014 he made the move to central attacking mid and the game subsequently opened up for him. Molino controlled the game for the Lions and was the primary scoring threat, putting the ball in the back of the net 20 times and added nine assists to lead the USL in both categories. That one-season tally was more than all his other seasons combined and his assist number was almost as good.

This year, Molino is back on the right wing and is seemingly back to his old self, which isn't a good thing for him. Even off the field, he seems a bit more reserved and to himself, like he was his first few years with the club, rather than how he was last year. He was confident and flamboyant in his personality and play. In press conferences, he was outgoing and always happy to answer questions, but now he's keeping his answers short.

So, what does this mean for Molino this year? Well, in my honest opinion, he will most likely struggle a bit. He will have his moments and flashes of brilliance, but he's still making adjustments to the new league, new teammates and new competition.

I have all the confidence in Molino that he will become one of the best players in the league, but that may take some time. Orlando's coaching staff and fans have all the faith in the world in "Hot Boy" and for those who are critical of him, they will find out soon enough what he can do.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 03, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
What is this about a season-ending injury?

Ok they waiting to find out the extent.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/05/03/orlando-city-defeats-brazilian-side-friendly-kevin-molino-goes-down-knee-inj

ORLANDO, Fla. – Kevin Molino and Orlando City SC face an anxious wait to discover the damage to the attacker’s right knee after the midfielder was forced out early from the Lions’ friendly with Brazilian side Ponte Preta at the Citrus Bowl on Saturday.

With the Lions facing a visit from in-form New England on Friday, the last thing Adrian Heath’s side need is another injury before they make their fifth bid for an elusive first home MLS victory.

“He has to go to the doctor’s [Sunday] for the necessary X-Ray,” Heath said after the game on Saturday night. “We will assess him and see what’s right for him moving forward.”
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:20:40 PM by Peong »

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 03, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »
the TTFA page said Molino told the TTFA that he has suffered an ACL injury and will be out for the Gold Cup and remainder of the MLS season.

I am completely deflated by this news, horrible blow for him and T&T. I really hope it is not a tear so he can be back in 6 months but he's probably looking to at least 9 months. The important thing is to make sure it is fully healed and not rush back before it's ready.

Keep your head up Kevin.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino tears right ACL, will miss remainder of the 2015 MLS season
« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »
Kevin Molino tears right ACL, will miss remainder of the 2015 MLS season
orlandocitysc.com

Orlando City SC announced today that Midfielder Kevin Molino suffered a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his right knee Saturday night during a friendly match against Brazilian Seria A club Ponte Preta.

Molino is expected to undergo surgery in the coming weeks at Orlando Health and will miss the remainder of the 2015 Major League Soccer season. Molino suffered the injury in the 18th minute of the match.  Additional tests are expected in the coming weeks to determine the full extent of the injury. 

“We are obviously devastated for Kevin,” said Head Coach Adrian Heath.  “He was having a great start to the season, his first in MLS. He’ll work with the team physicians from Orlando Health to make sure he undergoes a full recovery and comes back in top form.”

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 03, 2015, 10:08:55 PM »
 :banginghead:
Terrible news for him.  Big blow for our Gold Cup squad as well.
Take proper care of that thing yes.  Do not rush it.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
Gutted.

I really hope we push on and try to get Nick De Leon/John Bostock etc in because this is a HUGE loss with 2 qualifiers in November.

2 in March as well , hopefully Kevin is good to go from January for pre season.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2015, 11:14:08 PM »
Devastating news in the short team for this star player, club team, national team, fans.
Career is not over and club contract is not over. Chin up Kevin and let's get the surgery done
and be ready to draw on all your emotional, spiritual and physical strength to get through this endurance test one hurdle at a time
Listen to Kaka, Carlos, Cornell & others about some of  the things you have to be prepared for to make it through & the timetable for recovery.
For T&T, the others such as Guerra, Leston Paul, Marcus Joseph, need to get ready to step up.
BraveHart please take a look at Toussaint and see if he is in good match fitness as he has impeccable football skills and touch a la Molino.
This injury must be used as an opportunity to step up, like the old West Indies without Lara.
With the first choice number 10 always availabe, there is the potential for stunting of the team with overdependence on 1 player. Same overdependence on Latapy.
Good luck Kevin and go into plan B mode T&T.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:19:59 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2015, 04:49:38 AM »
Lawd. Take your time to come back better than before.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2015, 05:06:34 AM »
Laddd this is a blow...man was in rippin form...Gods speed in your recovery hot boy...come back badder!  Huge blow to out NT...who answering the call?
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
damn...  :'(

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
Rough. 

Hope he returns after injury the same or a better player

Not sure what kind of field they were playing on....but most fields in MLS are field turf no?

That must take an extra toll on the body.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
Oh NASH...so sorry...the football life...ask Stern and countless others...get well soon son...
Add Hector to that list...Primus just cant seem to get back...
massive massive blows to TnT there...
but so the story goes
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2015, 02:02:04 AM »
Hart broken as Molino tears ACL
T&T Newsday Reports.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Stephen Hart has expressed regret over Kevin Molino’s injury sustained during a friendly encounter for Orlando City against Brazilian side Ponte Preta on Saturday evening.

Molino suffered a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and has been ruled out for the remainder of the American Major League Soccer (MLS) season and will miss this country’s 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup campaign.

Dr Mario John, a Trinidadian orthopeadic surgeon based in Orlando is in touch with Molino and the Orlando City medical staff and will monitor the player’s progress as he prepares for surgery in just over a week. John relayed that the goal is to restore the player’s range of motion and get the swelling down in order to have the best possible outcome from the surgery. John will continue to keep Hart and the TTFA updated on Molino’s status.

Hart, while admitting Molino’s absence will be somewhat of a blow to the Soca Warriors heading into the Gold Cup in July and the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in November, added that the player’s health was of utmost importance at this time.

“This is extremely sad for Kevin. This is always difficult for a young player now attempting to establish his career. I wish him the very best and a full recovery,” Hart said.

“The Gold Cup is less important than his ability to return to the game at the most appropriate time,” Hart added.

Molino said yesterday that he was coping with the disappointment but will remain focussed on making a full recovery.

“It’s devastating but this is the game. I’ve known players who’ve had serious knee injuries before like Carlos (Edwards), Kenwyne (Jones), Cornell (Glen) and most recently Robert Primus and they came back from it. By the grace of God, hopefully I will be back and be able to continue my career and push on to becoming the player I’ve been aiming to be,” Molino said.

The MLS official site stated “Molino went down after 16 minutes, clutching his right knee. The 24-year-old Trinidadian international has one assist in seven games this year, but is among the league leaders in chances created and has been an ever-present in the Orlando City lineup since the team moved there from Austin in 2011. He is a two-time USL MVP, winning the award in 2012 and 2014.”

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:17:12 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2015, 05:24:23 AM »
The 'joys" of professional sport. Get well soon. God Bless!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
Sorry to hear this ... rehab and come again. Best wishes. Keep yuh head up.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:42 AM »
Molino vows to come back stronger.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

The recent Anterior cruciate ligament tear suffered by national midfielder Kevin Molino while on duty for Orlando City has left a dent in Stephen Hart’s team for the upcoming 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup and the semi-final round of the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign in November.

It is a dent that Hart and the rest of the “Soca Warriors” will aim to repair. That surely is not out of the question and not beyond Hart’s men.

But for Molino, his recovery will not be as easy and a lot will depend on the run of events of the new few weeks according to TTFA consulting orthopedic surgeon Dr Mario John who is based in Orlando.

“Most ACL tears cannot be sutured (stitched) back together. To surgically repair the ACL and restore knee stability, the ligament must be reconstructed. The torn ligament will be replaced with a tissue graft,” John said. Molino’s injury was a complete rupture, similar to what Marvin Andrews sustained before the 2006 World Cup. It is described as a “Grade III” where ligament has been split into two pieces, and the knee joint is unstable.

John explained, for the sake the athlete’s knowledge, “that you might hear a popping noise and you may feel your knee give out from under you. Other typical symptoms of an ACL injury include pain with swelling, loss of full range of motion, tenderness along the joint line and discomfort while walking.

According to information from the American Academy of Orthopedic surgeons, whether the treatment involves surgery or not, rehabilitation plays a vital role in getting an athlete back to their daily activities. A physical therapy programme that will help regain knee strength and motion is a must. John said that Molino’s physical therapy after surgery will first focus on returning motion to the joint and surrounding muscles.

A strengthening programme designed to protect the new ligament will follow this. This strengthening gradually increases the stress across the ligament. The final phase of rehabilitation is aimed at a functional return tailored for the athlete’s sport. Molino is likely to be out of action for between six to nine months depending on his level of rehab. The player, obviously distraught over his current status, vows to come back from it.

“It’s a trying time but time heals and hopefully the surgery will go well and I can bounce back even better. The mental challenge will be a real test but I am sure I can come through it. I’m just disappointed that I will not be with the boys for the Gold Cup and with my club for the rest of the season. But I’ll be back again, I can promise you that,” Molino said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
Stern, Jones, King, now Molino.  Our latest best players not getting to hit full potential due to Knee injuries. Gonna give this some thought. Have to make luck work in our favour.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Orlando City's Kevin Molino faces mental challenge returning from ACL injury
By Paul Tenorio (Orlando Sentinel)

Like the pencil marks on a door frame measuring a child's growth, Orlando City coach Adrian Heath calculated his progress recovering from knee surgery with little benchmarks noted on his bed.

It was 1984 and Heath had scored 11 league goals in 17 matches for Everton — his third straight season with double-digit goals — and he looked well on his way to a spot with the England national team. With the 1986 World Cup around the corner, Heath, who was nearing his 24th birthday, had hopes of playing on soccer's ultimate stage.

Instead, a torn ACL wiped out that dream.

Heath spent six weeks in a cast after undergoing knee surgery, and his first task was re-teaching his leg how to extend with the muscles now seized up. Each day he tried to extend past the previous day's mark. Sometimes, there would be no progress for several days.

"Those are the little hurdles you have to overcome," Heath said. "For a week, the line's not moved anywhere. [You] wonder if it's not going to move anymore. These are things you have to overcome."

Heath's recovery is far different than what his star pupil, Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino, will undergo in the next few weeks and months after tearing his ACL during a friendly against Ponte Preta last Saturday. The medical advances have made ACL surgery far less invasive. The mental part of the recovery has not changed, however.

Like Heath, Molino was in the midst of the biggest season of his career. He had turned down previous MLS offers to stay with Orlando City as it finished its run at the USL-PRO level and was just two months into his first season in the top division. This summer he was expected to lead his country, Trinidad and Tobago, into the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Now, just two months into that potentially career-altering season, Molino has to shut things down and begin rehabilitation.

Players who have been through similar injuries admit the mental hurdles are the most difficult part — a combination of not feeling a part of the team and being unsure of when exactly they will be able to step out on the field again.

"This will hit home in four weeks time," said Heath, who came back from the injury to score 30 league goals the next three seasons. "He'll be in the gym for a couple weeks and he'll think, '[Oh man,] I've got six, seven months of this.' And then he'll be watching Gold Cup on TV, then he'll be watching his teammates go out every morning. That's the mental part. For you to be patient and to keep the same drive every day to want to physically get yourself better."

For Heath, the hardest moment was watching his team win the European Cup Winners' Cup nearly six months into his recovery. For Orlando City goalkeeper Tally Hall, who tore his ACL last fall, the hardest moment was near the end of his recovery these last few weeks. Hall had just a few more hurdles to overcome, but his progress felt stagnant.

Any player who has had a major injury can rattle off to you those moments when the mental battle becomes as big — or bigger — than the physical one. It was true for a forward straightening his leg in England in the 1980s or a goalkeeper going through the same exercise 30 years later.

There is value that comes in those moments, they said.

"You have exercises that seem extremely menial when you get out of surgery," Hall said. "Straightening your leg is torture. . . . It's little things, and so it's difficult to stay focused and committed. But as you do it over the length of your rehab, which is a long time, it teaches you what sacrifices you have to make to be at your best level."

The hope for Orlando City is that Molino will take something out of that challenge, too, and come back an even better player than before.

1]; } ?>