March 28, 2024, 11:30:03 AM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 162387 times)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino Thread.
« Reply #660 on: April 27, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
K Molino put his carrier on suicide watch by going to this team the coach likes him but he might get fired and the next coach may want to squeeze him out the side with a big name player .

Lol you don't have anything else better to do? Oh btw it's career not carrier.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #661 on: April 28, 2017, 01:48:05 AM »
Molino should be fit for weekend.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Minnesota United head coach Adrian Heath says he expects Kevin Molino to be fit for this weekend’s MLS clash with Cordell Cato’s San Jose Earthquakes. Molino hasn’t trained this week due a minor knee issue.

“We think they will all be available — certainly Burch and Molino will be available — for the weekend, but we don’t want to aggravate it early on in the week,” Heath said.

If United beats the Earthquakes on Saturday night at TCF Bank Stadium, the Loons could enter May among the Western Conference’s top six teams. In November, after the remaining 75 per cent of the regular season is played, those teams will advance to the playoffs.

“After the start that we had, people wouldn’t have thought would be possible at this stage in the season, so it’s a big game for us,” coach Adrian Heath said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino nets a brace but Minnesota United falls 3-2 to Toronto FC. His first goal is superb.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HA0Eu5aWx90?start=110" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HA0Eu5aWx90?start=110</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 14, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
Keep bussing de net Molino!!!!

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Minnesota United's Kevin Molino is finding his scoring touch
« Reply #664 on: May 15, 2017, 05:22:27 AM »
Minnesota United's Kevin Molino is finding his scoring touch
By Megan Ryan (Star Tribune)

In the 62nd minute of Minnesota United’s 3-2 loss at Toronto FC on Saturday, Kevin Molino stepped up and took a terrible penalty kick that rolled right into the arm of Toronto goalkeeper Alexander Bono.

But here’s what makes Molino worthy of United’s big-money transaction that brought him to the expansion team this offseason: He strolled right back up to the blocked ball and coolly slotted home the rebound.

That goal was Molino’s second of the match and the second time he started the Loons’ ultimately unsuccessful comeback. Several other attacking players had golden opportunities to score, including rookie Abu Danladi in the first half and substitute Johan Venegas late in the second. Only Molino capitalized.

The Trinidad and Tobago native has started and played 10 matches for United, missing one because of national team duty. He has five goals and three assists this season. But before the Toronto match, his last goal was in a 4-2 victory over Salt Lake on April 1 and his last assist was in a 2-2 draw at Houston on April 15.

The reason for Molino’s sudden uptick in offense might have a bit to do with a lineup adjustment. Molino has played mostly on the right wing this season. But against Toronto, he played more centrally in a playmaking position. Danladi took his spot on the right.

“We put him underneath … to try to get him a bit more involved in the game and to try and see if he can link up with Ibson,” coach Adrian Heath said. “We’ve got the two midfield players [who] are both very good first touch, and they can find the little pockets of space in behind. And that’s when Kevin’s at his best. So I just wanted to see if we could get him on the ball a little bit more … and I thought we did a little bit.”

Molino, though, isn’t one to wax poetic about his two goals Saturday. Instead, he lamented the wasted chance of bringing the momentum of a big victory against one of the league’s top teams into Sunday’s 4 p.m. matchup with LA Galaxy at TCF Bank Stadium.

“Most important, the game is a team sport, and we all want to go home happy together, collectively, with three points,” Molino said in a team news release. “The two goals are good to keep my confidence up, and I look forward to the next game against the LA Galaxy.”

Heath said the challenge with Molino is just to give him opportunities. Because as the penalty-kick-gone-wrong-turned-right evidenced, Molino won’t squander them.

“He’s a quality footballer,” Heath said. “I expected before this season started, he’d get double figures in both categories [goals and assists]. So if he stays healthy, he’ll get his 12 to 13 goals.

“But more importantly, we need to keep him involved in the game because that’s the hardest thing with football, to score and make goals. So the more we can keep him active and in and around the game and the ball, the better he’s going to be.”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 22, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »
WATCH: An incisive pass from Kevin Molino leads to Minnesota United’s second goal against Portland Timbers

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fhb8uKW_rro?start=92" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fhb8uKW_rro?start=92</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 27, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
WATCH: MLSsoccer.com's Armchair Analyst Matt Doyle says Kevin Molino is one of the best playmakers in the league.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4FVH9APDVxE?start=36" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4FVH9APDVxE?start=36</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Revisiting the Kevin Molino Trade
« Reply #667 on: July 21, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Revisiting the Kevin Molino Trade
By Gavin Ewbank (themaneland.com)

From top to bottom, Orlando City’s roster has looked much different this season. It’s been nearly a year since Jason Kreis was hired to take over the coaching duties at the club, and with that has come a number of changes around the field, with players both coming and going.

Most notable during that span was the departure of Kevin Molino, who was traded to Minnesota United before the season, sending shock waves around the league. Molino went to Minnesota, where his former coach in Orlando — Adrian Heath — now resides, for the largest sum of allocation money in league history — $650,000 in total ($450,000 in General, $200,000 in Targeted).

We’re now half a season removed from that deal, and while it’s hard to say just yet whether or not it was the right deal for Minnesota because they’re still so young into their MLS phase, we can look at Orlando City and confidently say the deal has had an impact — in one way or another — on the Lions this season.

Coming off of an ACL injury he suffered in 2015, Molino was one of the bright spots for the Lions in 2016 as the club failed the make the playoffs again. A very strong season (11 goals and 8 assists) led him into the winter asking for more money on top of the $121,400 he was owed by Orlando City from his first MLS deal. A two-time USL MVP, Molino proved to many that he could translate his talents to the top flight, but still left many believing he needed more time to prove his worth before asking for significantly more money.

Regardless of what he asked Orlando City for, Jason Kreis and company were not prepared to give it to him, eventually buckling to the interest from Heath and Minnesota, leading to the deal.

One of everybody’s favorite parts of trades is being able to go back at any later date in time and judging that trade for its “winners” and “losers,” and in Major League Soccer we’ve finally received enough transparency to actually have enough information on trades to judge them for what they are.

All things considered, Minnesota has seemingly been left with the better end of the deal so far, mostly due to the fact that Orlando hasn’t found anybody to replace Molino’s production yet. He has five goals and five assists this season for the Loons. His goal total would be enough for second at Orlando behind only Cyle Larin, and his assist total would tie him with Carlos Rivas for the team lead. What we don’t know is how much — if any — of the Molino cash infusion was spent on shoring up other areas of Orlando City’s roster, including the addition of right back Scott Sutter, who was brought in a few weeks after Molino was shipped to Minnesota.

Regardless of whether or not you sit in “Molino wouldn’t have been a good fit in the 4-4-2 diamond” camp, Orlando has struggled to find anyone nearly as dynamic on the right side of the midfield. Matias Perez Garcia couldn’t find his late 2016 form and was eventually waived last month, Kaká has struggled to be Kaká at times on the left side of the field, and the Lions still don’t have an actual playmaker outside of the Brazilian in the midfield, which Molino would have done something to solve that.

So the big thing now in order for the Lions to “win” this trade or at least feel like they actually got something good out of the deal would mean having to spend some — if not most — of that $650,000 in allocation given to them by Minnesota. The summer transfer window opened up on Monday, and the Lions now have until Aug. 9 to sign a player through a league trade or international signing.

Orlando can still probably make the playoffs without adding someone this summer, but the Lions certainly won’t go far in November without an offensive addition.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scuffling Minnesota attack looking for more out of Kevin Molino
« Reply #668 on: July 21, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »
Scuffling Minnesota attack looking for more out of Kevin Molino
By Jeff Rueter (MLSsoccer.com)

Minnesota United’s attack has been woebegone in recent weeks, to borrow a term from native son Garrison Keillor.

On Wednesday, that trend continued, with the Loons holding Houston scoreless but failing to find the back of the net to draw the Dynamo 0-0 at TCF Bank Stadium. For Minnesota head coach Adrian Heath, it wasn’t a performance that deserved three points.

“Probably from that point of view, they’ll be disappointed,” Heath said after the match. “We haven’t at least scored, they had two great chances first half. Very much gave it two halves. I thought second half we were the better team. Bobby [Shuttleworth] hadn’t anything to do. Second half, we had a couple of — one off the line — a couple of good chances. So, first half was poor, second half was better. And we probably, a fair result in the end, but they’ll probably be disappointed with their chances that they created that they didn’t at least score.”

Minnesota have now earned just two points in their last four matches, with three of those fixtures taking place at TCF Bank Stadium. The Loons have struggled to make their home field a fortress, particularly for their attack. They’ve now scored seven goals in their last six home games, with three of those tallies coming in a wild 3-2 win against Portland last month.

When the Minnesota attack was at its best, Kevin Molino was pulling the strings, scoring five goals of his own in the first 11 games of the season. However, he’s run into a bit of a cold spell lately, with no goals and just two assists in his last eight games. His last goals came against Toronto on May 13. Ahead of the season, Heath said that he thought Molino could be one of the best players in MLS this year.

“I thought he did well tonight with the chance that he had,” Heath said, defending the Trinidad & Tobago international. “[A.J.] DeLaGarza did brilliantly to clear it off the line. Kev is like a few of the others at the moment. Not a lot is happening for him. He’s not getting much of a break, but we certainly need him if we’re going to pick points up in this home stand. We need him at his best.”

As for Molino himself, he knows the chances haven’t been coming easily for him lately. “This is football, you know?” Molino remarked after the match. “I have to be tough and once I get one goal, it’s going to keep flowing. This is the thing, when you’re going through a difficult time you still smile and still enjoy what you do. Football is short, and you need to enjoy whatever you do in life. If I have to assist for the rest of the season to help somebody get goals and make us move forward, so be it.”

Molino started in a central position again, but was pushed to the right wing he had dominated during his tenure in Orlando for the second half. Alongside Collin Martin, Molino was able to create chances and get into the action more, including a near-goal that DeLaGarza kept away from the back of the net.

“It doesn’t matter where the coach puts me,” Molino said when asked what his best position was. “I just have to have the right mentality to give the effort for the group. I prefer No. 10, but anything for the team. I’m going to step up and give the best effort I can.”

For Molino and Minnesota, improvement will be crucial to getting back in the win column on Saturday against the New York Red Bulls (4 pm ET | ESPN, ESPN Deportes in the US, TSN2 in Canada). A former striker in his own right, Heath replied that all it would take is one fortunate bounce for Molino to get going.

“Maybe that one like tonight going in. Maybe a break that drops into him. A couple of things that maybe drop for him tonight. But certainly need Kevin to be creative in the final third, because we’re at our best when he's playing well,” Heath said

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 30, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »
WATCH: Two assists from Kevin Molino paves the way for Minnesota United’s 4-0 victory over DC United

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mVMftFjX85A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mVMftFjX85A</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
That first pass jah rastafari! dat was nice. Female commentator could do a lot better than "clever pass".  The pass was brilliant. Look at concentration Molino had to have. He bounce off 2 tackles and then see the pass and executed perfectly in a few seconds. Heath knows how good that was.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 31, 2017, 05:16:51 AM »
My team stinking. We need some superstars. Well you know MLs only like  NY and LA. But we stinking.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 31, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
Take away de crowd, take away de bells and whistles, subtract de the commentator etc. and watch that football good ... what's the overall quality of the product?

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Midfielder Kevin Molino living up to promise with Minnesota United FC
« Reply #673 on: July 31, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
Midfielder Kevin Molino living up to promise with Minnesota United FC
By Megan Ryan (Star Tribune)

When Kevin Molino came to Minnesota United in January through one of the biggest trades in Major League Soccer history, expectations for the midfielder were astronomical. His former club Orlando City SC banked $650,000 in allocation money in the deal for the franchise’s all-time leading scorer, with 42 goals, and assist man, with 31, since 2011.

But with United, the Trinidad and Tobago national team member hasn’t quite reached the heights coach Adrian Heath, who discovered Molino and brought him to the United States with Orlando, has hyped.

After the Loons’ 4-0 victory over D.C. United on Saturday, though, those sky-high hopes seemed more within reach. Molino assisted on United’s first two goals, from forwards Christian Ramirez and Abu Danladi. His pass over the top of the defense on Ramirez’s score made the goal “especially” excellent, according to Heath.

“The ball he put in for Christian for the first goal is as good as you’ll see,” Heath said. “But I expect that of him. That’s why we paid the money that we did for him. He can create with the best of them. He still should be getting 10 goals a season because that’s what we set him. So he’s got a long way to go to get them. But that’s the aim.”

Heath has said on several occasions that he believes Molino will end the season with a double-double in goals and assists. In 20 matches and 20 starts with United, he has five goals and seven assists.

For the past three or four weeks, Heath said, Molino has been dealing with a bad ankle that almost kept him out of matches. But Saturday was “probably the fittest he’s felt,” according to Heath, which makes his performance easy to understand.

It was Molino’s first assist since June 24 and his first multiple-assist match since April 1. Molino’s most recent goals came when he scored twice at Toronto FC on May 13.

Molino has played on the wing for United and as more of a No. 10 playmaker — an attacking center midfielder. And on Saturday, he seemed to have found his place on the pitch.

“I wasn’t even looking at him. If you watch the tape, I just took off because I knew the ball would be there,” Ramirez said on Molino’s pass on his goal. “He was staying higher up the field and centrally, which is where we need him, especially if he’s going to play the 10, so that I’m not so isolated up top. And it keeps those two center backs really honest with me and not knowing when to step to him. He got involved real early.”

As for the pressure to produce, Molino said he’s “done it in the past” so there’s no reason he can’t repeat with a new club. But the midfielder did acknowledge that it’s harder now, as “everybody knows” him and marks him, and he has to be mentally stronger to push through that.

“I think now is the turning point,” Molino said. “I haven’t scored in quite a time. But for me, the most important thing is not just I score and then we lost. The most important thing is us as a group winning and reaching close to playoffs. And now, this is going to boost my confidence.

“Just happy. Just happy to get a notch closer to where we want to be.”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 03, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino scores the game-winner deep in stoppage time as Minnesota United clinches a 3-2 win over Atlanta United

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hx4lbMa4RnE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hx4lbMa4RnE</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T's Kevin Molino riding high into international break
« Reply #675 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:55 PM »
T&T's Kevin Molino riding high into international break
By Joe Hojnacki (sbisoccer.com)

Kevin Molino is peaking at just the right time for Minnesota United and a Trinidad & Tobago national team hoping to spoil the U.S. Men’s National Team’s World Cup Qualifying run.

The Soca Warriors are calling up a forward/attacking midfielder that happens to be in playing lights out for Minnesota United in MLS. Molino scored the late, late winner for the Loons as they stunned Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Tuesday night, but that’s only the icing on the cake for his form heading into a pair of World Cup Qualifying matches against CONCACAF’s biggest teams.

He’s scored twice and notched a pair of assists over the last four matches, helping them wins in three out of their last four games.

Two of those wins came on the road against playoff contending opposition, and those matches just happened to be two of Molino’s best performances.

The run began back on Sept. 16 in a dramatic 3-2 win over the Montreal Impact. Molino started played all 90 minutes in the No. 10 role. His command of the attack was evident as he completed 34 passes and nearly created a goal off a set piece with a perfectly placed free kick that found the head of Francisco Calvo at the top of the six yard box. He also scored from the penalty spot to level the scoring midway through the first half.

Then there was Tuesday night against red hot Atlanta United in the newly christened hostile environment of Mercedes-Benz Stadium. This time playing on the left wing in a 4-3-3, Molino put in a man of the match performance. He completed 31 passes, including six that set up a shot, assisted on Abu Danladi’s opening goal, and, most importantly, put the slightest of touches on Jerome Thiesson’s cross in the 96th minute to complete a stunning stoppage time comeback.

Molino’s recent contributions have not been limited to those two matches, either. He completed 88% of his passes and provided an assist in the No. 10 role in a 4-1 dismantling of FC Dallas on Sept. 23. He was subbed off after 70 minutes, but the Loons were already controlling the match with a 2-1 lead, in large part thanks to Molino’s passing prowess.

So, now he hopes to carry that form into two big international matches with Trinidad & Tobago. They travel to Estadio Azteca on Friday night to face Mexico, who may already have their World Cup spot sewn up, but are bringing their A-team to the fight anyway. Then the Soca Warriors look to play spoiler as the U.S. Men’s National Team comes to Ato Boldon Stadium to close out the Hex.

You can expect Molino to be up for the challenge. El Tri and, more importantly, the Stars and Stripes will have their hands full with him over the next week.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Minnesota United’s Kevin Molino named MLS Player of the Week
« Reply #676 on: October 10, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
Minnesota United’s Kevin Molino named MLS Player of the Week
By Dave Zeitlin (MLSsoccer.com)

Kevin Molino had a moment to remember in Minnesota United’s thrilling 3-2 win over Atlanta United on Tuesday.

And now the Minnesota midfielder has been rewarded as the Alcatel MLS Player of the Week for Week 31, as voted on by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR).

Molino scored the dramatic stoppage-time winner in the Loons’ come-from-behind win over their fellow expansion side, handing Atlanta their first loss at Mercedes-Benz Stadium this season. He also had an assist in the triumph.

Molino, the first Minnesota player to ever earn a Player of the Week nod, helped open the scoring in the 48th minute when he collected the ball in the midfield and threaded a ball between two defenders to set up Abu Danladi’s goal.

Following a back-and-forth contest that saw the teams even in stoppage time, Molino’s heroics proved to be the difference. The Trinidad & Tobago international made a late run into the box and expertly headed home a Jerome Thiesson cross in the 96th minute to give the Loons the unlikely win.

The 27-year-old has now posted seven goals and a career-high nine assists this season, with the club posting a 6-2-3 record in games in which he's scored or assisted.

Minnesota United, who sit in ninth place in the Western Conference, return to action Sunday for a road match vs. the LA Galaxy (7:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE).

The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 09, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
On Kevin Molino scoring three goals in first two preseason matches and his positioning on the pitch …

We’re trying to keep him further up the pitch. He wants to play so much that at times he gets too deep for me and links plays up but it’s in non-dangerous areas –– or areas that are not as dangerous. We want him in and around the penalty area. I know he can score double figures goals, double figures assists, because that’s what his ability is. Last year, I think, if you look at the Christian Ramirez highlight reel of all his goals, five or six of them are from assists from Kevin. We know he can do that. But I also know he can score, because I’ve seen him score, I’ve seen him grow into a goalscorer. That’s the one thing that we’ve spoken about, I expect him to get double figures this year. So, we’re trying to keep him higher up the field and it’s difficult for him, because he wants to get on the ball so much that at times he comes back and he wants to help people. But, I’ve told him, for us to get the best benefit out of Kevin Molino we need him in and around the penalty area where he’s most effective. So, we’ve spoken about it. Hopefully, you know, this preseason will sort of reinforce that. The more he gets in and around the penalty area the more he will contribute with goals and assists
https://www.mnufc.com/post/2018/02/08/mnufc-melbourne-catching-adrian-heath

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 04, 2018, 12:05:40 AM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino scores a brace, but Minnesota United fall 3-2 to San Jose Earthquakes

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8y9jgyF5AVY&amp;?start=171" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8y9jgyF5AVY&amp;?start=171</a>

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #679 on: March 04, 2018, 03:30:00 AM »
d man score those goals in Neymar fashion
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
d man score those goals in Neymar fashion

And it earned him what I'm about to post. :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 06, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Molino named to "El Once de las Américas" on the back of his performance last week. Players are selected based on perfomances in leagues across both continents.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:36:56 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 06, 2018, 07:36:40 PM »
Congrats Molina, keep it up!

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 06, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
Molino named to "El Once de las Américas" on the back of his performance last week. Players are selected based on perfomances in leagues across both continents.

And imagine he couldn't even make de bench of de MLS Team of the Week.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 06, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »

And imagine he couldn't even make de bench of de MLS Team of the Week.

And of the two other MLS players in the Americas team, only Senderos features on the MLS squad. MLS picked Hoesen, Americas squad included the man who fed him the ball.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shutting down Kevin Molino key for Orlando City against Minnesota United
« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
Shutting down Kevin Molino key for Orlando City against Minnesota United
By Alek Pierce (themaneland.com)

Thursday, Jan. 26, 2017 was a _______ day in the history of Orlando City Soccer Club. I leave a blank in place of the adjective because, to be honest, there’s a wide range of applicable words. Surprising, sad, exciting, curious, angry…the list goes on. It was the fateful day that Orlando City’s brass made the move to trade fan favorite and star midfielder Kevin Molino to Adrian Heath’s Minnesota United (along with goalkeeper Patrick McLain) for $650,000 in allocation money. At the time, it was one of the highest amounts paid out from one club to another in exchange for a player’s services. The move made sense on all fronts too, with Orlando gaining financial flexibility and Molino joining his former coach.

Fast forward to City’s trip to United’s TCF Bank Stadium just five months later. Kevin Molino was out, affected by an illness, making Saturday’s home match against United Molino’s first time facing off against his former side. He’ll be gracing Orlando City Stadium for the first time since his move and one has to wonder how his reception will transpire. Will the supporters welcome him back? Or will they hold his less-than-amicable exit against him? Regardless, one thing is certain: City must remain focused on neutralizing the Loons’ star playmaker.

We all know Kevin Molino. We all know him very well. He’s versatile, tenacious, and strong, all while having an excellent touch on the ball. He can play on the wing, in the midfield, and can even feature in the final third if needed. In his preferred role, Molino is a distributing midfielder who’s also a constant scoring threat. He can turn a defender inside out on the dribble and then split a defense with a no-look through ball. To put it simply, he’s really good at soccer. In United’s season opener last weekend, Molino scored both of his side’s goals — leading a failed last-ditch charge to steal a point. There should be no doubt that he will be the linchpin of United’s attack.

How Orlando Will Stop Him
Molino has always seemed subscribed to a specific style of play, relying on feint body movements and slick layoffs to fool opposing defenders in the attacking third. Molino differs from your typical MLS midfielder because of his ability to beat you on the dribble and either score or provide the ball on a platter to a teammate. He’s a constant threat off the ball too, consistently sneaking in runs toward the box. Fortunately for the Lions, many of the team’s players and staff are quite familiar with these attributes and I fully expect Jonathan Spector and his center back pairing (hopefully that’s Lamine Sané, but Amro Tarek should also anticipate the task) to have constant tabs on Molino’s whereabouts. There will need to be an additional level of communication between the defense and midfield, and City’s defensive effort this week will heavily depend on execution in marking the former Lion.

Probably Not, But Maybe
While not quite practical, Molino is dangerous enough to warrant a somewhat personal marking, perhaps from Will Johnson. Johnson’s aggressive persistence as he careens throughout the middle third strikes me as a likely candidate for marking Molino. He might not always win his tackle, but you’ll always know he’s there. He’s the type of midfielder that you love to have on your side, yet absolutely despise playing against (See: Sacha Kljestan). He’s also a midfielder that hates being beat on the dribble. I mean, everyone hates getting beat, but Johnson is something else. It’s like he takes it personally…extra personally. He’s the kind of man I’d want marking a slippery midfielder for 90 minutes, but we’ll see if Jason Kreis shares a similar sentiment.

This possible defensive encounter also teases an interesting parallel that could fuel the battle: both Johnson and Molino are playing for coaches that they’ve played for previously. Johnson captained Kreis’ infamous Real Salt Lake side for years, taking home an MLS Cup in the process. Molino was scouted from his home country of Trinidad and Tobago by Adrian Heath and went on to help push the Lions into MLS. Both midfielders have loudly voiced their respect and admiration for their coaches throughout the years, and both have altered their career paths in the past to ensure celebrated reunions. Their commitment to these men and their sides has been unbridled, their dedication unmatched. So, what will happen when they collide?

Regardless of how Kreis decides to deal with Molino, it is irrefutable that Orlando’s defensive success against United will rely heavily on shutting him down. There should also be no denying the fact that Molino will be out for revenge against his former side. He’ll be looking to get on the score sheet.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino returns to Orlando City tonight

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EwjHrd1Qn8g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EwjHrd1Qn8g</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2018, 08:00:26 PM »
off after 50' injured or bad game edit injured ACL possibly :( :( :(
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:04:37 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »
Brilliant pass for goal. I real hope it not too bad. Man lost so much time already.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
off after 50' injured or bad game edit injured ACL possibly :( :( :(
Other knee this time. Pressure.

1]; } ?>