March 28, 2024, 02:41:59 PM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 162411 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino Thread.
« Reply #720 on: July 11, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »
Two assists from Molino yesterday versus Montreal.

Tallman, see if you can compile both of these nah. They are really notable passes and a fair indictment of what we saw at the Gold Cup, considering that they emerged from Molino only days after we exited the Gold Cup in unacceptable circumstances.

(Except, of course, acceptable for some ... unacceptable for many.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:43:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 11, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
Two assists from Molino yesterday versus Montreal.

Tallman, see if you can compile both of these nah. They are really notable passes and a fair indictment of what we saw at the Gold Cup, considering that they emerged from Molino only days after we exited the Gold Cup in unacceptable circumstances.

(Except, of course, acceptable for some ... unacceptable for many.)

WATCH: Kevin Molino's assist for Minnesota United's first goal against Montreal Impact
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vw0BbUaUk8M?start=53" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vw0BbUaUk8M?start=53</a>

WATCH: Kevin Molino's assist for Minnesota United's game-winning goal against Montreal Impact
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vw0BbUaUk8M?start=150" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vw0BbUaUk8M?start=150</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 11, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
Two excellent passes that lead to goals, exceptional control by his teammate to finish as well :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 08, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »
Two excellent passes that lead to goals, exceptional control by his teammate to finish as well :beermug:

Look another one.

WATCH: Kevin Molino sets up the game-winning goal in Minnesota United's 2-1 victory over Portland Timbers in the US Open Cup semifinal. They will now face Atlanta United in the final on August 27th.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AFchKfBK_mk?start=101" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AFchKfBK_mk?start=101</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 15, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »
Minnesota move into second place in the west last night 1-0 over Colorado.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Molino's expert assist on Quintero wasn't the only dime he dropped, as he could have had another assist or two had his teammates' finishing been up to par. His cross led to the penalty, too.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 15, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino with the assist on the game-winning goal in Minnesota United's 1-0 win over Colorado Rapids.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UvSV6MYgoWM?start=81" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UvSV6MYgoWM?start=81</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 15, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
When is injury free he is a gem. He should be the national team main midfield player. We have no one at this moment.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 15, 2019, 09:44:49 AM »
I've watched a couple Minn games on ESPN since Molino's return and in each game there was a moment or two where Molino will play an pinpoint one-touch forward pass splitting the defense for a teammate on run onto. He's been doing it consistently. Even Taylor Twellman applauded the accuracy and timing on his passes during the commentary.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 15, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
I've watched a couple Minn games on ESPN since Molino's return and in each game there was a moment or two where Molino will play an pinpoint one-touch forward pass splitting the defense for a teammate on run onto. He's been doing it consistently.Even Taylor Twellman applauded the accuracy and timing on his passes during the commentary.

Yet ...

(Why yuh think that's happening?)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 15, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »
I've watched a couple Minn games on ESPN since Molino's return and in each game there was a moment or two where Molino will play an pinpoint one-touch forward pass splitting the defense for a teammate on run onto. He's been doing it consistently.Even Taylor Twellman applauded the accuracy and timing on his passes during the commentary.

Yet ...

He spends more time with his club. He practices much more with his club.He is much more familiar with his club players than the national team players.  Like Messi with Barca and Messi with Argentina.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 15, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »

Yet ...

He cannot do it for us, because it doh have nobody to pass it to. Plus, we tend to use him more as a major goalscoring threat, so he does be de one looking to receive de pass.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 15, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »

Yet ...

He cannot do it for us, because it doh have nobody to pass it to. Plus, we tend to use him more as a major goalscoring threat, so he does be de one looking to receive de pass.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug: Special agent Tallman
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 15, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »

Yet ...

In our GC games I remember a few occasions where he will receive the ball in the midfield and try to play a forward pass and no one available so he had to look for another option. To me it looked like we weren't dynamic enough with forward movement off the ball. And yes he was our main scoring threat, in fact he scored our only goal.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »

Yet ...

Why is it happening?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 15, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »

Yet ...

In our GC games I remember a few occasions where he will receive the ball in the midfield and try to play a forward pass and no one available so he had to look for another option. To me it looked like we weren't dynamic enough with forward movement off the ball. And yes he was our main scoring threat, in fact he scored our only goal.

Everybody talking about Molino precision passing in the MLS, etc, etc. Like I said before, with his team is practice, practice, practice to perfection. This goes on for weeks on end with top class amenities. . For TT is about 4 or 5 days at the "home" of football. Where do you think the results will come to fruition? With his club obviously.

In the GC, a half-fit Molino look better than all our attacking players(if you call them attacking). I honestly think he should be spearheading our midfield attack in the future. The other person who I would like to see in the middle with him is Atuallah. But then there is Dennis!!! What are we going to do  :( ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 16, 2019, 12:56:48 PM »

Yet ...

Why is it happening?

There are several ways to respond to this. Since some have already been touched on, I will go this route:

In organized football, play either develops (1) with intentionality (2) organically/instinctively or (3) opportunistically. The identity of a team is discerned from intentional play. The team's quality is assessed (in part) on the organic elements.

While intentional play and its opposite (haphazard play) can both produce opportunistic moments, the haphazard approach can't achieve the level of cohesion (organic, instinctive) that comes from intentional play and intentional preparation.

A team (or subset of players) consistently doing something (passing patterns, movements off the ball etc) or not consistently doing something (say, eliminating the midfield through use of the long ball) are hallmarks and components of an identity and intentionality.

Even if a team has placed greater intentional emphasis on defending, the supreme moment of intention on a field is a direct attempt to score a goal. It is the sum of all other intentions. It is the sum of intentional play.

A one-touch vertical pass intended to break lines and nullify numerical disadvantage is a high order example of intentional play. Where players have exploiting attributes of that nature, it is the coach's job to maximize those exploiting attributes and even if he doesn't have the benefit of rehearsing such activity with the same frequency as one would have in a club environment, one has the responsibility of setting the conditions/stage for players with those attributes to impose themselves in those game situations (cue Pulisic for the US). You only get intentional play from intentional expectations.

The NT has shown what is emphasized as intentional in its play and verticality with the ball and positioning have not been notable highlights.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 16, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
There's a quote I will add to this discussion. I stumbled across it in someone's Twitter feed about two weeks ago, but can't recall precisely whose (it was a retweet on the main feed I was reviewing). I remember it as being a quote attributed to Marcelo Bielsa.

It is appropriate to this thread.

When I read it, I thought it vindicated my views. I certainly think its relevant to how our U-13 and U15 representatives have approached football and I think there has to be a [cultural] sea-change in how our players are taught the game, on the evidence of these showings. They need more than one [traditional] solution to resolving how the ball moves from their half into the opposing half.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:21:05 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 16, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »
There's a quote I will add to this discussion. I stumbled across it in someone's Twitter feed about two weeks ago, but can't recall precisely whose (it was a retweet on the main feed I was reviewing). I remember it as being a quote attributed to Marcelo Bielsa.

It is appropriate to this thread.

When I read it, I thought it vindicated my views. I certainly think its relevant to how our U-13 and U15 representatives have approached football and I think there has to be a [cultural] sea-change in how our players are taught the game, on the evidence of these showings. They need more than one [traditional] solution to resolving how the ball moves from their half into the opposing half.
the biggest issue with a lot the problems we face in our football and other larger issues in TT is d lack of critical analysis and with that our tendency to chase trends or ideals that do not suit us wholly or in part and often a stubborn unwillingness  to accept that something we want may not be what we need.....dennis trying possession football with personnel that mostly don't fit,   at any one time we field 2-3 players dat not comfortable on the ball and putting dem under unneeded pressure....similarly SCF "converting"  midfielders to defenders...we have ah unfortunate habit of shoehorning to match our outlook instead of building something based on d quality of d parts at our disposal
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 16, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
at any one time we field 2-3 players dat not comfortable on the ball and putting dem under unneeded pressure....

These players should not be on any national team

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 16, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
at any one time we field 2-3 players dat not comfortable on the ball and putting dem under unneeded pressure....

deeks, most ah dem is defensive players and sadly dais ah theme in our system at all levels...many of our defenders are poor footballers with a very few exceptions, our best ball winning mid need to have a very close outlet to pass to or is problems.....dem kinda ting
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:15:35 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 17, 2019, 01:22:20 AM »

deeks, most ah dem is defensive players and sadly dais ah theme in our system at all levels...many of our defenders are poor footballers with a very few exceptions, our best ball winning mid need to have a very close outlet to pass to or is problems.....dem kinda ting
I find all that hard to believe. Yuh saying that the best and selected National team defenders cannot control, distribute or dribble, we know they rarely have shut-out, to put it mildly. Defensive lapses and mis-markings. So how they even making a club team. Why are they selected, why not the 2nd best midfielders, don’t play defenders for the National team. Nah, it can’t be that easy.. the selectors cyah be so dotish. I feeling foolish cause I had to have misunderstood  allyuh . Allyuh was talking bout SSFL, right ? Orrr, the coach and his ... nah, nah.. the selection has to be biased a certain way, which is something I always said. Our best in all positions are not selected at the junior levels.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:29:04 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 17, 2019, 04:25:31 AM »
It's not clear to me who that comment is about. Up to lefty to name who he has in mind, but as a general comment it raises the eyebrows as phrased. Comfortable on the ball has technical and psychological elements.

Triston Hodge, for example, is a defender that could NEVER fall into the category of not being comfortable on/with the ball. Some players may be susceptible to the charge of being too comfortable with the ball, but on the NT in matches there haven't been glaringly frequent examples of players (as far as I recall as I write) being dispossessed of the ball because their playing speed and mental speed don't coincide in that sense. Many of our defensive blunders either involve recovering late, incorrectly assessing threats in the development of play, a lack of communication and coordination, goalkeeping errors etc.

Granted, not all our defensive players are especially technical but its possible to have good technique yet be not a particularly technical player.

To refer to a player ppl like to see light it up: Caesar. He is comfortable on the ball but not especially technical in a classic sense. Cato, also comfortable on the ball and more technical, although not the complete article.

Some ppl keep being mystified by Cyrus and his selection, but if you see the player there ought to be no mystery about him being selected to the NT.

As far as goalkeepers, it should be common knowledge who lacks tools with the ball at their feet. There can be no argument that this aspect of developing young keepers needs to be emphasized more.

Cruyff said: ""Choose the best player for every position, and you’ll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong 1’s."

Think about it.

Every coach is faced with finding/striking a selection balance between what he wants done and the player's gifts and ability to execute the plan (intentionality again).

Is there room to boost our technical play in the context of a tactical reorientation of how we play? Yes. This is tied to my  previous post. However, three players on the field not being comfortable on the ball would be a starter in killing any coach's plan. I don't think that's the primary issue. There is generally consensus on our NT call-ups from the domestic game.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:45:46 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 17, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »
I don't know maybe I watch d wrong GC, but d amount a miscontrols, wayward passing and discomfort I recall under pressure and even not under pressure, mirrored what was seen in u20 backline, and other youth backlines that came before
I pity the fool....

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 17, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »
Aye aye aye....

... this is the Kevin Molino thread  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 17, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
Minnesota United wouldn't mind a little more selfishness from Kevin Molino
By Jerry Zgoda (Star Tribune)

Minnesota United veteran midfielder Kevin Molino has three assists this season after creating Darwin Quintero’s goal in Wednesday’s 1-0 victory over Colorado Rapids. He also has three goals.

But Loons coach Adrian Heath wants more — and less: more goals from a player he has coached since 2011 with the United Soccer League’s Orlando City team and a little less unselfishness.

“He’s had a hand in our last three, four goals,” Heath said. “When he’s on good form and he feels confident about himself and his body, he’s a really, really good player.

“My only grumble has been he doesn’t score enough goals for his ability. A little bit more selfish, a little bit more greedy at times would help. That’s the nature of him. He gets as much satisfaction making a goal as scoring a goal. He has been creating for us.”

Molino said Friday his body has caught up with his mind in his return from knee surgery last season, when he tore his left ACL in just the second game, in Orlando of all places.

“For me, it’s the group that’s important,” he said. “If I score every game, but we don’t win, it’s not important. We win, I assist, I don’t assist [doesn’t matter]. I know I should be selfish at times, but if I see a player in better position, why not give them the ball? I have to play for the team.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 18, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »

Yet ...

Why is it happening?

There are several ways to respond to this. Since some have already been touched on, I will go this route:

In organized football, play either develops (1) with intentionality (2) organically/instinctively or (3) opportunistically. The identity of a team is discerned from intentional play. The team's quality is assessed (in part) on the organic elements.

While intentional play and its opposite (haphazard play) can both produce opportunistic moments, the haphazard approach can't achieve the level of cohesion (organic, instinctive) that comes from intentional play and intentional preparation.

A team (or subset of players) consistently doing something (passing patterns, movements off the ball etc) or not consistently doing something (say, eliminating the midfield through use of the long ball) are hallmarks and components of an identity and intentionality.

Even if a team has placed greater intentional emphasis on defending, the supreme moment of intention on a field is a direct attempt to score a goal. It is the sum of all other intentions. It is the sum of intentional play.

A one-touch vertical pass intended to break lines and nullify numerical disadvantage is a high order example of intentional play. Where players have exploiting attributes of that nature, it is the coach's job to maximize those exploiting attributes and even if he doesn't have the benefit of rehearsing such activity with the same frequency as one would have in a club environment, one has the responsibility of setting the conditions/stage for players with those attributes to impose themselves in those game situations (cue Pulisic for the US). You only get intentional play from intentional expectations.

The NT has shown what is emphasized as intentional in its play and verticality with the ball and positioning have not been notable highlights.

Did not have to wait long for an example to pop up. Here's a rundown on Real Madrid's match versus Celta Vigo, played yesterday. In the game Modric was sent off. Zidane doesn't train for 10 v 11 situations, unlike Mourinho and Benítez during their RM tenures.

"El Real Madrid, que no entrena situaciones de 10 contra 11, reaccionó de manera instintiva a la roja a Modric y revivió en su victoria en Vigo el aroma de fútbol coral de la época dorada de Zidane."

"A diferencia de Mourinho y Benítez, Zidane no entrena situaciones en las que su equipo se queda con diez frente a once. Pero, a partir de la roja, y ante lo que calcularon que podía ser un “golpe mayúsculo”, el fútbol del Madrid fluyó de manera natural hasta desembocar en un gran tercer gol."

https://elpais.com/deportes/2019/08/18/actualidad/1566139306_518590.html

Real Madrid 3 Celta Vigo 1
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:17:52 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 28, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino with the assist during Minnesota United's 2-1 loss to Atlanta United in the 2019 US Open Cup Final

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9HXXkFG1MMo?start=96" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9HXXkFG1MMo?start=96</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 28, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »
Molino supplies again! I forgot this game was on last night too.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 15, 2020, 09:26:30 PM »
Minnesota United's Kevin Molino looking better in second year after injury
By Jerry Zgoda (Star Tribune)

Minnesota United teammates Kevin Molino and Ethan Finlay returned last season from knee surgery each underwent the year before.

Now they’re back, a distinction that United coach Adrian Heath knows well.

Finlay started 22 of 33 games he played last season and scored seven goals after he was sidelined nearly 11 months by a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained in April 2018 at Seattle.

Molino started 11 of 17 games he played last season and scored three times after he had sustained the same injury six weeks before Finlay did.

Born less than two months apart, both now are 29 amid signs in preseason play that each is getting back to the player he was before surgery.

“I went through an ACL myself and I know that first year you get back on a lot of enthusiasm, but you don’t feel quite as sharp,” Heath said. “The one thing that has been abundantly clear to everybody now is Ethan and Kevin are back looking like their old self again.”

Heath has praised both players’ performance in three training games in Florida. United left Friday for Portland, Ore., where it will play three preseason games against MLS opponents New England, Vancouver and the hometown Timbers.

Heath was particularly taken with the instant connection Molino made with newly signed striker Luis Amarilla in a single half they played together in Florida.

He called Amarilla’s connective play with Molino “top-class to watch.”

Molino studied video of Amarilla’s play, which he called “research” that helped create that quick connection even though Amarilla’s native language is Spanish and Molino’s is English.

“Football is one language,” Molino said.

Molino has played the “No. 10” position — an attacking midfielder spot that was star Darwin Quintero’s the past two seasons — throughout this preseason even though Heath said Molino can play all across the front. He might need to if his team succeeds in acquiring Emanuel “Bebelo” Reynoso from Argentina’s famed Boca Juniors club.

If not, Heath is prepared to go into the season with Molino as his No. 10.

“I don’t know what the future holds in position,” Molino said. “Anywhere the coach wants me to play, I will do the best I can. It doesn’t matter where I play, for the team is most important.”

Molino so far has exhibited the kind of the form that persuaded Heath to bring Molino with him from Orlando City to Minnesota in 2017.

“I’m getting there,” Molino said. “I still have to push and keep doing more. I come in much fitter than last year. Coming off an ACL was difficult. I had some niggling injuries — hamstring, ankle — and missed a couple games. This season, I’m looking forward to playing a lot of games. Look after my body, do the work and be ready to play a lot of games.”

As did Molino, Finlay first worked to rehabilitate his knee, his body. His soccer skills came after that.

“You have these days you’re not feeling great,” Finlay said. “You’ve done a whole bunch of other stuff on your body and you haven’t done a lot of soccer stuff. It took me a little bit longer to get my sharpness from a soccer standpoint.

“As the year went on, I started to get a little better. By mid- to late fall, I was really feeling back. I was feeling a sharpness. My strength and power were all there. Now it’s year nine for me and it’s all about managing your body, managing your workload. Working smarter than harder at time, just doing what I’ve always done.”

Both are in their primes, MLS veterans in a midfield group out front that includes last season’s newcomers Robin Lod and Thomas Chacon.

Heath called Finlay “terrific” so far in preseason training and called Molino, well, the player he has coached since 2011.

“He just gets the game, and players like playing with him,” Heath said. “It’s a big year for him. If we can get him back to where I know he can produce, he’ll be one of the best in the league. Kevin, Ethan, the way those two have come back, it’s like signing two new players.”

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 01, 2020, 09:04:59 PM »
Molino with a double today in Minnesota's MLS opener

1]; } ?>