March 28, 2024, 04:13:47 PM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino Thread.  (Read 162417 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino Thread.
« Reply #810 on: December 07, 2020, 11:53:50 PM »
Minnesota just did not have the fire power to sustain and attack tonight. Give it to Seattle, they were brilliant, in that they grinded out a come from behind victory. Hard luck Kevin. Good luck Joevin. This game was a win-win for TT players. At least one in the final.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #811 on: December 16, 2020, 07:19:12 AM »
Molino told take new deal... or leave it
T&T Express Reports.

$$ ISSUES

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Kevin Molino has been basically told he is free to accept the new deal offered by his American Major League soccer (MLS) club Minnesota United or go elsewhere.

Molino enjoyed perhaps his best-ever season in the MLS with nine goals and four assists in 1,264 minutes. He kept form in the playoffs, with four goals in three appearances. However, now, he’s out of contract.

Minnesota head coach Adrian Heath, the former Everton midfielder, was quite open in discussing next season with the media recently, after losing the MLS Cup Western Conference final. The ‘Loons’ fell painfully short in the MLS Cup after taking a 2-0 lead against the Seattle Sounders after 65 minutes before the defending champions stormed back for a memorable 3-2 win.

However, there is doubt over two key pieces to Minnesota’s continued success in 2021, since the futures of both Osvaldo Alonso and Molino are still undecided.

Now with their focus fully trained on the off-season and making additions, Minnesota have a number of decisions to make, with negotiations continuing with key players like Alonso, Molino and Luis Amarilla.

Before heading back to AC Milan, forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic topped the list as the highest-paid player in the MLS in 2019, earning US$7.2 million in annual basic compensation playing for the LA Galaxy. Although the fifth-highest paid Minnesota player, Molino’s base salary stood at just US$500,004 per annum, less than one-third of the US$1,750,000 Minnesota paid designated player Darwin Quintero in 2019, before the Colombian moved on to Houston.

Based on his season, Molino expected to be among the best paid in America. But in talking to the media, Heath suggested that Molino was being offered the best deal the club was willing to give him, but was free to move on if he wanted. At age 30, Molino is unlikely to attract a big deal with a European club.

“The offer is there for Kev,” Heath said. “It’s the max deal he can get in America, so we can’t do an awful lot (more). We’re hoping. I get it if he wants to see what’s out there, I understand, but we’re hoping he accepts and decides to come back...If he doesn’t, nothing we can do about that and it’s the player’s prerogative.”

Like Molino, defensive midfielder Alonso (US$650,000.00) is also holding out for more money and has not yet signed a new deal. Alonso, who just turned 35, was restricted to nine starts in 2020 due to injuries. He has made 37 appearances in two seasons with Minnesota after a decade with the Sounders and is regarded as one of the league’s best-ever defensive midfielders. Both player and coach had a conversation about the future and Alonso’s long-term goals whenever he retires. No decision is imminent.

“He needs a little bit of time to take it all on board and we said we’d re-visit it again after the weekend,” Heath said. “We think he can still play. Whether that’s every game, that’ll be something we’ll discuss...We would like to bring him back. We’ll just have to work out how that looks.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino says goodbye to Loons, which will ‘spark’ other moves for club
« Reply #812 on: December 16, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
By Andy Greder (twincities.com)

The last remaining Minnesota United player to be on the field for the club’s first game in MLS has said so long.

Midfielder Kevin Molino, who is out of contract after a resurgent year with the Loons, made an overnight post Wednesday on Instagram.

“Goodbye Minnesota. To everyone with Minnesota United … the owners, management, coaches, backroom staff, office staff, the ball boys, the fans and most of all my teammates… from my heart to yours Thank You for embracing me and showing me all the love and support for the last four years of my life.

“It’s been a journey filled with so much emotion and experiences. You showed me how to come back from being sidelined with injury and how to love the game again. I want to wish this great club all the best!

“On to another chapter now. Your favorite Hot Boy.”

The Loons made Molino’s new deal its first offseason priority, with manager Adrian Heath saying last week the club offered Molino the best contract it could. Heath said they have spoken consistently with his representatives and said during the season he felt they were very close to a new deal.

“I get it if he wants to see what’s out there; I understand,” Heath said Friday. “But we are hoping that he accepts it and decides to come back.”

Now without Molino, United has to go down another path. Molino, 30, was the Loons hottest goalscorer last season and developed great chemistry with playmaker Emanuel Reynoso.

The Trinidad native scored 13 goals, including four in the run to the Western Conference final. This outpaced the 12 combined goals he had with club from 2017-19, which had two years interrupted by ACL and menisci tears.

Heath addressed the option of what Molino’s exit would trigger. “Obviously we are in a situation where, Kevin’s situation could spark an awful lot of other things to go down,” Heath said. “If Kevin were to leave, then we know we would have to sort of fill, plug that hole in and that dictates what we are looking for and what we’ve got to spend.”

Heath expressed a desire to have Molino’s situation sorted soon because that would give the club a better idea of its priorities need to be for 2021.

Molino played 72 MLS games for United, scoring 25 goals and dishing 19 assists. He was acquired in a then-MLS record trade from Orlando City before the 2017 season and played in the club’s inaugural game at Portland that March. 
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 16, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
T&T Express Reports.

$$ ISSUES

Before heading back to AC Milan, forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic topped the list as the highest-paid player in the MLS in 2019, earning US$7.2 million in annual basic compensation playing for the LA Galaxy. Although the fifth-highest paid Minnesota player, Molino’s base salary stood at just US$500,004 per annum, less than one-third of the US$1,750,000 Minnesota paid designated player Darwin Quintero in 2019, before the Colombian moved on to Houston.

Based on his season, Molino expected to be among the best paid in America. But in talking to the media, Heath suggested that Molino was being offered the best deal the club was willing to give him, but was free to move on if he wanted. At age 30, Molino is unlikely to attract a big deal with a European club.

NEVER
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 16, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
T&T Express Reports.

$$ ISSUES

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Kevin Molino has been basically told he is free to accept the new deal offered by his American Major League soccer (MLS) club Minnesota United or go elsewhere.

Molino enjoyed perhaps his best-ever season in the MLS with nine goals and four assists in 1,264 minutes. He kept form in the playoffs, with four goals in three appearances. However, now, he’s out of contract.
However, there is doubt over two key pieces to Minnesota’s continued success in 2021, since the futures of both Osvaldo Alonso and Molino are still undecided.
...... But in talking to the media, Heath suggested that Molino was being offered the best deal the club was willing to give him, but was free to move on if he wanted. At age 30, Molino is unlikely to attract a big deal with a European club.

“The offer is there for Kev,” Heath said. “It’s the max deal he can get in America, so we can’t do an awful lot (more). We’re hoping. I get it if he wants to see what’s out there, I understand, but we’re hoping he accepts and decides to come back...If he doesn’t, nothing we can do about that and it’s the player’s prerogative.”

Like Molino, defensive midfielder Alonso (US$650,000.00) is also holding out for more money and has not yet signed a new deal. Alonso, who just turned 35, was restricted to nine starts in 2020 due to injuries. He has made 37 appearances in two seasons with Minnesota after a decade with the Sounders and is regarded as one of the league’s best-ever defensive midfielders.....
....... Both player and coach had a conversation about the future and Alonso’s long-term goals whenever he retires. No decision is imminent.
“He needs a little bit of time to take it all on board and we said we’d re-visit it again after the weekend,” Heath said. “We think he can still play. Whether that’s every game, that’ll be something we’ll discuss...We would like to bring him back. We’ll just have to work out how that looks.”

??? ??? ???

By Andy Greder (twincities.com)

The last remaining Minnesota United player to be on the field for the club’s first game in MLS has said so long.

Midfielder Kevin Molino, who is out of contract after a resurgent year with the Loons, made an overnight post Wednesday on Instagram.

“Goodbye Minnesota. To everyone with Minnesota United … the owners, management, coaches, backroom staff, office staff, the ball boys, the fans and most of all my teammates… from my heart to yours Thank You for embracing me and showing me all the love and support for the last four years of my life.

“It’s been a journey filled with so much emotion and experiences. You showed me how to come back from being sidelined with injury and how to love the game again. I want to wish this great club all the best!

“On to another chapter now. Your favorite Hot Boy.”

>>>>>>>
Now without Molino, United has to go down another path. Molino, 30, was the Loons hottest goalscorer last season and developed great chemistry with playmaker Emanuel Reynoso.

The Trinidad native scored 13 goals, including four in the run to the Western Conference final. This outpaced the 12 combined goals he had with club from 2017-19, which had two years interrupted by ACL and menisci tears.
“If Kevin were to leave, then we know we would have to sort of fill, plug that hole in and that dictates what we are looking for and what we’ve got to spend.”

Molino played 72 MLS games for United, scoring 25 goals and dishing 19 assists. He was acquired in a then-MLS record trade from Orlando City before the 2017 season and played in the club’s inaugural game at Portland that March.

:applause: :applause: Would never get highest paid in America, but #5 at the club, and even with one raise last year still not in the top 100 (I only count to 75). I applaud that decision, without even knowing the offer, just the tone of the offer.  I think his resume good enough to get in a door with a substantial raise. If I'm wrong, he couldn't get less, barring an unfortunate injury. I'm sure his handlers already had their ducks in a row.
Lil disappointed in Heath to be the bearer of that news doh, a man he stuck with and who did with him. Oh well, business for the lil Island 'boy' ain't business for the European or South American- some gets a holiday with perks. Some get a pat on the back. Even doh everybody put down the same work.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 17, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
Another TnT player - Indian League calling 😊

Our National player stock not so high in the big leagues!!!

We eh that hot after all-   

Another one  plagued by - "I  good enough"

Best of Luck  to one of our brightest star boys -  humility is a lesson - ca t turn yuh back on where the journery started .

The fight starts back from the origin- time for all aspiring players to look and learn
Allyuh push the reset button and develop some pride mentall toughness
This is one area where ah hope current coach TF could instill in players or else pelt some wake up clout buff dem up and infuse some frigging sense in men that to be a professional and to play at a certain level requires daily discipline and work

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 17, 2020, 09:44:00 AM »
500k US a year is a lot of money, just short 4 million TT even when taxed. If he has been getting that for 4 years plus what he earned previously its not bad at all. If he was offered a 100k increase per year on that it still would be great. I just hope these fellas saving/investing wisely

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:35 PM »
I wonder if he was get another higher offer from another MLS team.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 18, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »

The current rumor is that he has an offer from Montreal Impact

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 18, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
not the middle east?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 18, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »

Henri does need all the help he can get.. plus I adding,weekends Macaroni pie and Crab Callao, Friday  doubles , and Choice of meat Roti every other week,stew meats, pelau and bake and buljol as requested, all specially home made and delivered, post Covid can be picked up.  I throwing that in with the Mtl offer. If wifey not impressed, Fridge (caterer) and me go handle it. Message me when yuh coming for talks, will chauffeur.
We need help bad.. even the old lady say, I could make that team.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:10:54 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 18, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »

Henri does need all the help he can get.. plus I adding,weekends Macaroni pie and Crab Callao, Friday  doubles , and Choice of meat Roti every other week,stew meats, pelau and bake and buljol as requested, all specially home made and delivered, post Covid can be picked up.  I throwing that in with the Mtl offer. If wifey not impressed, Fridge (caterer) and me go handle it. Message me when yuh coming for talks, will chauffeur.

Dahis a kictchen sink. Where de curry poutine? I think he could call down a Mexican goat stew and without salary cap issues.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 18, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »

Dahis a kictchen sink. Where de curry poutine? I think he could call down a Mexican goat stew and without salary cap issues.
:D True true...but is Thierry Henry we talkin about..besides Fridge and Mammy cooking..beat out any under-paying club with Pozole, burrito and Taco any day.. besides he done accustom to cold weather. ent ?
Plus 1 Intl spot still open
https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2020/montreal-impact
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:59:10 PM by maxg »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #823 on: December 26, 2020, 06:49:27 AM »
Molino, Ranjitsingh, Jones among MLS free agency top players
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T senior football team internationals, and Carenage-residents, Kevin Molino and Joevin Jones are among the top players available from a list of 65-plus layers named by Major League Soccer as free agents.

The list was posted on the MLS.com website on Wednesday and stated that: The MLS offseason is in full swing with the free agency now open following the End-of-Year-Waivers process, allowing veterans throughout the league to engage with and sign with any club.

Eligible players are 24 years of age and older, have five MLS service years and are out of contract or have had their option declined. Free Agents can negotiate a new contract with any MLS club, including their previous team, subject to certain restrictions. There is no limit on the number of Free Agents a team may sign each year

Out of Contract Players who receive a bona fide offer from their current team can still participate in Free Agency. Option Decline Players may re-sign with their current team at any compensation subject to league approval in its discretion at any time before the beginning of Stage Two of the Re-Entry Draft (Dec. 22 at 1 pm ET).

It should make for some interesting movement around the league, with this year's list of Free Agents containing many proven talents across MLS. Check out the full list of this year's eligible Free Agents below.

In the case of Molino, it seems, without doubt, his time with Minnesota United has come to an end.

This after the winger posted on Instagram a goodbye to Minnesota on December 16, 2020, thanking everyone at the club as he moves onto a new chapter.

A source told MLSsoccer.com Molino and his representative haven't notified the club that they've rejected the contract offer yet. Head coach Adrian Heath noted last week the Loons offered Molino the maximum amount the club could offer.

“The offer is there for Kev," Heath told media. "It’s the max deal he can get in America, so we can’t do an awful lot (more). We’re hoping. I get it if he wants to see what’s out there, I understand, but we’re hoping he accepts and decides to come back. … If he doesn’t, nothing we can do about that and it’s the player’s prerogative.”

Molino, 30, enjoyed perhaps his best season in MLS with nine goals and four assists in 1,264 minutes. He kept form in the playoffs, with four goals in three appearances.

He has 32 goals and 27 assists in 104 MLS appearances between stints with Orlando City and Minnesota. Molino suffered ACL injuries to both knees, first in 2015 with the Lions and then with the Loons early in the 2018 season.

And on December 14, Seattle Sounders FC announced that it was declining the contract options of 29-year-old Jones as well as Justin Dhillon, and Miguel Ibarra Seattle Sounders FC fell in the 2020 MLS Cup Final.

Jones was in his second spell with the club has been part of their 2016-2017 squad before moving to Germany’s Darmstadt and returning in 2019 to help the team lift the Audi Cup before they fell short in the final this year.

The Sounders were beaten 3-0 by Columbus Crew SC in the MLS Audi Cup final at MAPFRE Stadium. Lucas Zelarayán scored twice and Derrick Etienne added one for Columbus, as Crew SC won its second league championship in franchise history. The loss snaps an eight-match Seattle winning streak in the MLS Cup Playoffs, as the Rave Green finish their 2020 campaign with a 14-7-8 record across all competitions. It marked the fourth MLS Cup appearance for Sounders FC in the last five seasons, having previously won in 2016 and 2019, and losing in 2017.

Loons axe goalkeeper Ranjitsingh

Meanwhile, Minnesota United on Thursday that it was still in discussions with Molino regarding his future while they declined the contract option for his international team-mate, goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh.

The 27-year-old Pickering, Canadian-born Ranjitsingh has represented T&T once at senior international level and featured three times for the Loons in the regular-season conceding eight goals before he was replaced by another Canadian-born goalkeeper and T&T target Dayne St Clair.

Ranjitsingh joined the Loons during End-of-Year Waivers process on November 25, 2019.

He was the starting goalkeeper for Louisville's City FC back-to-back United Soccer League-winning teams and was hoping to become Tyler Miller's primary backup in Minnesota.

But when given his chance he failed to stand out and was replaced by 23-year-o;d St Clair who led the team to a first-ever Western Conference Final.

During his stint with Louisville, he made 81 appearances in goal and recorded 33 shutouts since signing in 2015. At Collegiate level he was a four-year starter at Mercer College, playing 81 matches with 363 saves and 27 clean sheets.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #824 on: January 06, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
MLS champions Columbus Crew sign Molino.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

T&T footballer Kevin Molino will remain in Major League Soccer (MLS) in the US as he has signed with Columbus Crew.

Molino spent the last four years at Minnesota United where he helped the club advance to the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Western Conference final, last month. In that match Molino faced his fellow countryman Joevin Jones who played for Seattle Sounders.

Weeks ago, Molino announced on social media that he would be leaving Minnesota United.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, “The Crew has signed free agent midfielder Kevin Molino to a multi-year deal ahead of the 2021 season.”

Molino will follow in the footsteps of prolific T&T striker Stern John. John played for Columbus from 1998 to 1999, scoring 44 goals in 55 matches.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Columbus Crew signs free agent midfielder Kevin Molino to multi-year deal
« Reply #825 on: January 06, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »
Columbus Crew signs free agent midfielder Kevin Molino to multi-year deal
By Jacob Myers (The Columbus Dispatch)

The Crew has signed free agent midfielder Kevin Molino to a multi-year deal ahead of the 2021 season, a league source confirmed to The Dispatch.

The Athletic was the first to report the signing Wednesday.

Molino had been in conversations with the Crew for the last few weeks. In the last week, the two sides were able to make progress toward a deal that would bring the winger to Columbus.

Molino, 30, is coming off one of his most productive seasons in Major League Soccer, scoring nine goals with four assists in 18 games in the regular season with Minnesota United. He added four goals in three games during the 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.

A Trinidad and Tobago international, Molino is one of the better attacking midfielders in MLS. He mostly plays on the wing, but has shown an ability to play centrally in the attack as well.

Molino joins a group of wingers with Pedro Santos, Luis Diaz and Derrick Etienne Jr. Santos and Diaz entered the offseason as the presumptive starters at left and right wing, respectively. Molino will likely enter preseason camp as the starter on the right wing in coach Caleb Porter’s preferred 4-2-3-1 system.

In 104 appearances in six MLS seasons with Minnesota and Orlando City, Molino has scored 32 goals with 27 assists.

He said goodbye to Minnesota United fans via Instagram on Dec. 16. In his past, Molino has had ACL surgery on both knees, once in 2015 and again in 2018. This past season, however, Molino proved he has plenty left in the tank and might be in the prime of his career entering his first season with the defending MLS Cup champions.

The Crew now has 25 of 30 roster spots filled for 2021.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 06, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
Good Move. Wished he come to DC
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:46:34 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #827 on: January 07, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
Molino excited at new challenge at Columbus Crew.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

New Columbus Crew signing, T&T midfielder Kevin Molino is looking forward to the new challenge he will be presented with at the club in the United States.

Molino confirmed signing a multi-year contract yesterday, which would ensure that he continues plying his trade in the Major League Soccer (MLS) for yet another year. He was signed as a free agent.

The multi-talented midfielder who has scored many goals for his previous club- the Minnesota United, including up to recently where his goals helped the United to the Audi Cup Western Conference finals against the Seattle Sounders, told Guardian Media Sports yesterday that, "I feel good, I am looking to the new challenge, I kicked off 2020 good so I just want to continue. I am looking forward to meeting the team, the coaching staff, and everybody."

Molino, 30, who has been the go-to man for the T&T Soca Warriors in the past has scored 13 goals for the Minnesota United and had been having an enjoyable time, said that his move to a new club was inspired by his desire for a new challenge.

He said, "There was no problem at Minnesota. I just wanted a different challenge, to go somewhere and win some trophies and then represent Trinidad to the best of my ability."

He admitted that in Columbus Ohio, he has a lot of friends there, with who he has played with and against, and with who he has developed a close relationship. "Even before I signed, they messaged me to say they were looking forward to playing with me, so I am looking forward to the challenge."

The Carenage resident will be a key piece of national coach Terry Fenwick's puzzle for the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers beginning in March. T&T will open against regional rival Guyana on March 25, bt will also face-off with Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and St Kitts/Nevis in Group F.

Despite Molino's exploits, he said that he has been preparing for his club and his country as he expects a very tough season this year.

"There will be a lot of games so I am just trying to keep myself as fit as possible and be prepared for whatever comes my way," Molino said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why Kevin Molino checks all the boxes for the Crew
« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2021, 08:35:57 AM »
Why Kevin Molino checks all the boxes for the Crew
By GR Torres (Massive Report)

When the Columbus Crew announced its end-of-season moves just two days after winning the 2020 MLS Cup, it was clear that the Black & Gold were looking for an improvement at the winger position. And they probably couldn’t have done any better than they did with the signing of Kevin Molino, who checks all the boxes for the team heading into 2021.

The Trinidad & Tobago international was part of our list of five potential free agent targets for the Crew ahead of the 2021 season for good reason and the club’s decision to let Youness Mokhtar and Emmanuel Boateng walk cleared the path for what could easily be the defending champions’ most impactful signing in the new year.

“If you watch this league over the years, you know he’s one of the best wingers and attacking players in the entire league,” Crew president and general manager Tim Bezbatchenko said about the signing. “He’s one of those players that when the lights are shining brightest, he steps up and delivers.”

“If you watched the playoffs, it showcased Minnesota’s ability to advance largely on the backs of a player like Molino. He has pace, he has the skill, he can play on both right and left sides and he can threaten the backline and that’s what you need in a league like MLS where defenses are getting stronger. Teams are going to sit back on us and when the ball swings by we’re going to need to have players who can beat opponents 1 v. 1.”

There are several reasons to like Molino’s signing from a Crew standpoint and the most obvious and clear one is his production. The 30-year-old winger generated 13 goals and four assists in 21 matches for Minnesota United in 2019 and those numbers would put him in the top-three in that department on the Columbus roster last season.

The Crew also had a highly-productive winger in Pedro Santos in 2020 — eight goals and eight assists in 25 matches — and the prospect of having two players in the position who combined for 21 goals and 12 assists last season is certainly exciting and should provide a strong boost to the team’s offense.

Molino’s skill set allows him to score and set his teammates up consistently, which is not always easy to find in wingers, especially in those who can be obtained without a transfer fee, which was the case with Molino.

More than the production, Molino’s arrival should also offer the Crew and head coach Caleb Porter a great deal of flexibility up front. As with Santos, the Trinbagonian can play anywhere on the attacking trio of positions, either as a right or left winger or in the center.

Molino’s strong campaign in 2020 happened with him on the left, which is great news for Columbus as it allows Santos to play on his preferred right side and gives Porter his dream combination of a wide winger (the Trinbagonian) and a pocket winger (the Portuguese) who can interchange their roles and sides during matches with ease. This is because as capable as Molino is as a wide player, he can also tuck into the pocket productively, as Santos did throughout the last two seasons.

At the start of Molino’s MLS career, he played centrally for Orlando City, a role he also plays frequently for his national team, and, even is his playing style is different than Lucas Zelarayan’s, he could return to that spot when the Argentinean is eventually unavailable, giving the team a different look.

The 2021 season is one in which Columbus is expected to contend for trophies again and Molino’s background indicates he can provide significant help with that too. He’s familiar with the players and stadiums the Crew is expected to face in the CONCACAF Champions League and has proven he can deliver when it matters with the four goals he scored in Minnesota’s three MLS Cup playoff matches in 2019, making some pick him as the best player of last year’s postseason.

The only concern regarding Molino’s signing could be his injury history, which includes tearing his both ACLs in a three-year period. However, the new Crew player bounced back strongly on both occasions, having arguably the best year of his career in 2016 with Orlando, when he scored 11 goals and registered eight assists, and playing 17 matches for Minnesota in 2019, with three goals scored.

Every signing comes with a little bit of unpredictability but it’s undeniable the Black & Gold did their homework and minimized the risks of this one backfiring as Molino checks every box with the Crew.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:31 AM »
Bravo, Molino. Congrats! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 12, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/01/09/how-kevin-molino-signing-takes-columbus-crew-sc-another-level-extratime

How the Kevin Molino signing takes Columbus Crew SC to another level | Extratime
January 9, 2021 3:14PM EST
Ari Liljenwall Contributor

Columbus Crew SC are still basking in their MLS Cup victory, but as they look ahead to the 2021 season, general manager Tim Bezbatchenko hasn't been resting on his laurels.

On the contrary, the Crew have made a couple of the more notable moves of the offseason, first with the signing of legendary striker Bradley Wright-Phillips, then the news that they had signed former Minnesota United standout Kevin Molino. It makes the Crew that much more dangerous as they eye their title defense, with the Extratime crew digging into the implications of the moves on the latest episode.

Regarding the significance of Molino's arrival, host Matt Doyle said he expects the veteran to slide in as the starter immediately, even with the talent Columbus already has on the wing.

"If he’s healthy and he’s playing anything like he did last year during the stretch run and into the playoffs, then he’s the starter," Doyle said. "No disrespect to Derrick Etienne or [Pedro] Santos or Luis Diaz, all of whom have proven to be really good players for winning teams. Kevin Molino’s better than any of them, but this gives Caleb Porter now the flexibility to rotate, to keep guys fresh, to be sort of matchup dependent. You could also slide either Santos or Molino inside a little bit, play as a No. 10 directly next to [Lucas] Zelarayan – different style No. 10, obviously, but you play a little bit more counterattacking, a little bit more linear with those two guys.

"It’s a great signing for Columbus and I just want to point out, they got BWP, who was the league leader in goal and assists per 90 during the regular season. And they got Molino, who I believe was second overall in goals and assists per 90 during the postseason. That’s a really, really good offseason from Tim Bezbatchenko and Caleb Porter."

It's certainly some crafty work from Bezbatchenko, who has established himself as one of the league's top executives during his time with Columbus and Toronto FC. Doyle said that in his mind, Bezbatchenko and Seattle Sounders GM Garth Lagerwey seem to be in their own league when it comes to knowing how to build an MLS roster that can take you deep into the playoffs.

"I kind of tossed this out maybe six months ago, like, what would you trade for Garth Lagerwey? What would you trade for Tim Bezbatchenko?" Doyle said. "Because these two guys have their teams going deep into the playoffs every single year. They’re able to refresh their rosters, they’re able to get guys like Zelarayan or like [Nicolas] Lodeiro, but then they’re also able to go further down the budget list and add guys like a Kevin Molino or like a Joao Paulo.

"So this has been just a masterclass of an 18 months from Tim Bezbatchenko, it’s an MLS Cup-winning roster that has only just gotten better, which is spectacular if you’re a Crew fan. And it’s absolutely what they deserve as a fanbase given what they did in 2017 and 2018."
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 31, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »
New Columbus Crew SC signing Kevin Molino talks leaving Minnesota United, Trinidad and Tobago future
By Charles Boehm (mlssoccer.com)

Life is pretty good for “Hot Boy” these days.

Always supremely gifted, widely loved by teammates and opponents alike, but all too often injury-blighted, Kevin Molino knit it all together last season. The Trinidadian attacker produced a career year with nine goals and four assists, finally – at least it seems; knock on wood – moving past the two torn ACLs and devastating litany of other injuries that had so hampered his progress.

His creativity and flair was key in Minnesota United’s runs to the semifinal stage of both the MLS is Back Tournament and the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, a welcome return to the spotlight for a player who’s overcome great tragedy and tribulation to reach this point.

“I keep working. I keep working, I never give up. Because I know where I come from,” the soft-spoken Molino told MLSsoccer.com this week from his offseason home base in his sunny homeland, where “gym-field-pool” is his daily fitness regime. “Trinidad, it's hard to get out as a professional footballer, and I keep that in the back of my head. I keep working, grinding, do extras. I always work to put myself under difficult [conditions]. I am my biggest competition, so to say, I always put myself under a lot of pressure. This year, I've really come through, but I want to keep on going, keep mashing the gas.

“I want to lift trophies this year.”

That’s certainly a realistic objective. Molino’s move from Minnesota to Columbus Crew SC is the biggest free-agent deal of the MLS offseason so far, a head-turning reinforcement for the newly-crowned league champions that earned him the wisecracking tribute of “the MLS Kevin Durant” from D.C. United’s Bill Hamid on Instagram.

He elected to close the book on his lengthy stint with Loons head coach Adrian Heath – a booster of his going back to their time together with Orlando City, starting in that club’s USL days – in favor of a new start. This is a star who knows his history, though: Molino frames his choice of Crew SC with a nod to some accomplished countrymen who’ve thrived in central Ohio over the years.

“I worked for Adrian for a decade,” he explained, “and I just wanted something different. I’m following the footsteps of one of the best Trinidadian footballers that ever played, Stern John. Also Ancil Elcock was there, Julius James, a lot of Trinidad players – but more so Stern John, the record he set there and the platform he left for Trinidad players in MLS and in Columbus. That was one of the main reasons why I moved.

“The club, the direction they want to head to, they just won a championship and want to win more. I was keen on them and I’m just happy to be part of it now,” he added, praising the Crew’s fluid playing style and the personality of new teammates like Darlington Nagbe and Gyasi Zardes, acquaintances he’s long admired and now will go to battle with.

Unfortunately for his national team, Major League Soccer’s most prominent present import from Trinidad and Tobago won’t be on hand at Exploria Stadium on Sunday (7 pm ET | FS1, UniMas, TUDN) when the US men’s national team host the Soca Warriors for both teams’ first match of the new year.

Molino elected to focus on rest and recovery this month, but speaks positively of T&T’s English coach Terry Fenwick, and will answer his country’s call when 2022 World Cup qualifying kicks off for them with first-round action in March. He won’t forget the myriad off-field problems that have long bedeviled the program and led to the federation being suspended by FIFA last year, though.

He calls on the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association to make sure “things are set right for the players, for the whole team, not just me, but each and every one on the national team because in the past, we have suffered, the players, for over a decade … Let’s set up a proper structure where we can also be competing against the US and Canada” and the rest of Concacaf.

“If the national team call me up, I'm always open to represent my country,” explained Molino. “But first I just want to stay healthy, focus on my new assignment I just signed and just focus on my club. When that time reach in March, I’m going to accept with open arms.”

The island nation has work to do. Both the TT Pro League and the national team have yet to return to play during the COVID-19 pandemic and Fenwick has taken a young and unproven squad to Florida for this friendly. Molino’s friend and former Seattle Sounder Joevin Jones has called the USMNT match “a death trap,” another sign that the TTFA and Fenwick – a former England international who is the Soca Warriors’ fourth coach in five years – haven’t won over the doubters just yet.

Molino is pragmatically optimistic, you might say.

“People have ifs and buts, but as the coach says, it’s a good kickoff for the game coming up in March. The results don't matter, I think it’s getting the players going again,” Molino said. “Most of the guys don't play football for maybe almost a year, let's be honest. … if I put myself in a fans’ standpoint, we have to have patience with a new coach and I think he’s going to do good with the mindset he’s going to bring to the table for us.

“We have to use all the resources as possible we have at this moment. Because the last qualification, the last staff that we have, and most of the core of the players, we didn't do well, and we have to be honest with ourselves.”

Molino is a patriotic Trinbagonian for whom the emotions of national-team duty run deep. The youngest of six brothers – one of whom, Kevon Cooper, is a pro cricketer – he grew up in humble circumstances in the Arima and Carenage communities, separated from his mother for long periods from age 12 onward after she emigrated to the United States in search of greater opportunities. Playing in the streets for hours on end, soccer was joy, obsession and escape all rolled into one.

A chance encounter with gun violence took the lives of two of his brothers during childhood, a searing trauma he still finds it difficult to discuss to this day.

“My family was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” he said. “Where I grew up was really, really tough. I’m very, very glad that I could compete at a truly high level, play international football – and not just for me and my family, but to inspire other young players all over the world, and in Trinidad more so. Because sometimes some people don't have the belief, and when you see somebody doing good, they could feed off of that. I just want to be that guy to set the trend for the young players in Trinidad football, who want to pursue the dream.

“No matter where you come from, you can make it.”

The pain and pride of the past is a driving force in Molino’s professional journey as he enters a new chapter in Columbus at age 30.

"In life, if you don’t really face obstacles, when obstacle come you don't know how to deal with it,” he said. “You have to be mentally strong, especially coming from the Caribbean, knowing the opportunities are very thin. But you need to keep going and fight for your dream just like anything else.

“Yes, God blesses all of us with talent. But the stronger your mind is, the better.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 03, 2021, 06:18:43 AM »
WATCH: Kevin Molino talks about what drew him to the Columbus Crew as part of Molino's first interview since joining the club in January.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yVeB7XTnWdU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yVeB7XTnWdU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino's ‘easy move’ to Crew driven by new challenge and championship
« Reply #833 on: February 09, 2021, 06:30:33 PM »
Kevin Molino's ‘easy move’ to Crew driven by new challenge and championship
By Jacob Myers (The Columbus Dispatch)

Last month's signing of free agent forward Kevin Molino on a multiyear deal requiring targeted allocation money was a clear flex of strength by the Crew.

It signaled to the rest of Major League Soccer that the MLS Cup champions are gunning for another title in 2021.

The Crew already had one of the best front fours in the league in Gyasi Zardes, Lucas Zelarayan, Pedro Santos and either Luis Diaz or Derrick Etienne Jr.

But when looking at Columbus, the 30-year-old Molino, one of the top targets in MLS free agency, saw opportunity rather than competition for playing time.

“With the history of the club and (they) just won the championship, they're still looking to make moves to stay atop the league and to win again,” Molino told The Dispatch recently. “It was an easy move for me to make.”

Since entering MLS with Orlando City in 2015, Molino has been one of the most productive wing midfielders in the league. His first season was shortened by a torn knee ligament, but he rebounded to score 11 goals with eight assists in 2016 before moving to another expansion club, Minnesota United.

He tore a ligament in his other knee in his second year with Minnesota, then had the most productive season of his MLS career in 2020. With nine goals and four assists in 1,264 minutes, Molino finished second among all midfielders and in the top 10 of all players with an average of a goal or assist in every 97.23 minutes.

Molino added four goals in three games in the 2020 playoffs.

“We've added one of the best wingers in the league,” Crew coach Caleb Porter said of Molino last month. “What made him so desirable is just how multifaceted he is and how complete he is. When you're looking at wingers and what we need, he really brings it all."

Molino spent 10 seasons with the same coach, Adrian Heath, in Orlando — beginning in the United Soccer League in 2011 — and Minnesota. He said he felt it was time to look for new challenges. Molino also is not shy in saying that he believes he’s joining a more talented team.

The native of Trinidad and Tobago told Caribbean network Sportsmax.tv that the Crew has “more quality players,” which irked some Minnesota fans. He stood by his comments but clarified that it wasn’t a dig at Minnesota.

"When you look at the players like (Darlington) Nagbe, Zardes — these are the top players in the league,” Molino said. "This is why they won the championship, let's be honest.”

He has long admired the way teams play under Porter, saying he had interest in playing for his Portland teams in the past. Molino also has strong relationships with Nagbe and Zardes, formed from matches between the U.S. men’s national team and Trinidad. Molino said Nagbe texted him shortly after Molino signed, telling him to reach out if he needed anything.

But the pitch to join the Crew was as important to his decision over other clubs as his personal connections to players on the roster. Molino said the conversation wasn’t about soccer at all, and more focused on him as a person.

“It was a different conversation,” Molino said. “A conversation that you would want to hear as a player coming into a new environment, and make me feel more excited than anything to come."

Molino has been a part of two expansion teams, and helped open Minnesota’s new stadium in 2019. His challenge then was to be part of the building of a franchise with no history — quite different than joining the league’s first franchise.

Molino also is aware that he’s following the path of Stern John, one of his favorite Trinidadian players and the Crew’s fourth all-time leading scorer. The expectation is Molino will be a starter and a consistent scoring threat. But he’s not entering Columbus like he’ll be handed the role.

“I can't wait to fit in, but first I put in my work to be on the team,” he said. “It's not going to be a walk in the park. I'm going to have to work harder than I normally work to always stay on top of my game to fit in with this group.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 16, 2021, 06:52:48 PM »
Molino on signing with the Crew: ‘The ambition there is to shoot for the stars and I want to be part of that’
By Nick Hudak (massivereport.com)

There was a bevy of Cinderella stories that played out throughout the course of an unusual 2020 Major League Soccer season. One of the more eye-opening was the run of fourth-seeded Minnesota United making a postseason sprint to the Western Conference Final. While United eventually lost MLS Cup runners-up Seattle Sounders in a thrilling 3-2 match, it was just an accomplishment to reach the conference final in the club’s first season.

While he didn’t score or get an assist in the West Final, Loon’s star playmaker Kevin Molino managed four MLS Cup playoff goals in 2020, the first four of his career. That conference final game, as it turned out, was his final with the club after four seasons.

After the Columbus Crew sealed the signature of free agent forward Bradley Wright-Phillips in January, the league’s sixth-highest goal scorer all-time, the defending MLS Cup champions, who beat Seattle 3-0 to win their second league title in early December, soon added yet another attacking option in Molino, a winger and creative midfielder, to a group that will be arguably the best in the entirety of MLS this season.

“The quality, you can go on and on,” Molino said of Crew’s attacking options in a recent interview with Black & Gol analyst Jordan Angeli. “Me and Nagbe have a good relationship we talk and message. ‘Anything you need let me know,’ he told me. He was part of it, (Nagbe’s) one of the best midfielders in the league. (Lucas) Zelarayan, too.”

While Molino may not be as flashy as the LA Galaxy’s Javier Hernandez and as big of a box office hit as LAFC’s Carlos Vela, his talent is undeniable. In 22 appearances throughout 2020, the 30 year old finished as Minnesota’s leading scorer with 13 goals and was pivotal in their runs to both the West Final and the MLS is Back Tournament semifinal.

What Columbus achieved didn’t go unnoticed by Molino. The squad that the Black & Gold built, including the aforementioned Nagbe and Zelarayan who were acquired last offseason and key cogs in the championship wheel, was enticing to play with but the intrigued of coming to play under a proven head coach in Caleb Porter, despite never working together, was a major pull for Molino as well.

“I’ve been a fan of Porter since Portland. I watched that team play,” Molino added in talking about what he enjoys about the prospect of playing for the Crew. “The good relationships he has had with Nagbe, (Gyasi) Zardes and the other players (I enjoy), I’m looking forward to being in Columbus and training with them.”

Since debuting with Orlando City SC in MLS in 2015, Molino has appeared in 104 league games while scoring 32 goals and contributing 27 assists. He averages a goal or an assist every 131 minutes of play throughout his career and Molino’s only gotten better with age.

In Minnesota, the midfielder made 67 regular season appearances (58 starts), notching 21 goals and 18 assists, which made him one of the most sought-after free agents available this offseason.

“Throughout his time in this League, Kevin Molino has been one of the most talented and explosive wingers in Major League Soccer, and he proved that not only throughout the 2020 regular season, but most recently when it mattered most, in the playoffs, on a team that was minutes away from an MLS Cup final,” Crew president and general manager Tim Bezbatchenko in a statement after the signing was made official. “Kevin will bring individual game-changing ability, with his smart and technical play, which will aid in our team chemistry with our other top quality attackers.”

Molino joins an attacking group loaded with talent, which includes Wright-Phillips, Zardes, Pedro Santos, Zelarayan, Luis Diaz and Derrick Etienne Jr. With a new downtown stadium on the horizon in 2021 and the club’s inclusion in the CONCACAF Champions League, the decision to come to Columbus wasn’t a hard one for Molino.

Looking for a club that had ambition was really all it came down to for the club’s newest Trinidad international.

“The new stadium, signing one of the best strikers in the history of the league, Bradley, and they just signed (Perry) Kitchen,” said Molino. “The ambition there is to shoot for the stars and I want to be part of that. I want to be the best and I try to think that I am the best. That’s how you have to play and not to be second-best. It fit my mentality and personality.”

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 17, 2021, 02:27:11 PM »
Molino on signing with the Crew: ‘The ambition there is to shoot for the stars and I want to be part of that’
By Nick Hudak (massivereport.com)

There was a bevy of Cinderella stories that played out throughout the course of an unusual 2020 Major League Soccer season. One of the more eye-opening was the run of fourth-seeded Minnesota United making a postseason sprint to the Western Conference Final. While United eventually lost MLS Cup runners-up Seattle Sounders in a thrilling 3-2 match, it was just an accomplishment to reach the conference final in the club’s first season.

While he didn’t score or get an assist in the West Final, Loon’s star playmaker Kevin Molino managed four MLS Cup playoff goals in 2020, the first four of his career. That conference final game, as it turned out, was his final with the club after four seasons.

After the Columbus Crew sealed the signature of free agent forward Bradley Wright-Phillips in January, the league’s sixth-highest goal scorer all-time, the defending MLS Cup champions, who beat Seattle 3-0 to win their second league title in early December, soon added yet another attacking option in Molino, a winger and creative midfielder, to a group that will be arguably the best in the entirety of MLS this season.

“The quality, you can go on and on,” Molino said of Crew’s attacking options in a recent interview with Black & Gol analyst Jordan Angeli. “Me and Nagbe have a good relationship we talk and message. ‘Anything you need let me know,’ he told me. He was part of it, (Nagbe’s) one of the best midfielders in the league. (Lucas) Zelarayan, too.”

While Molino may not be as flashy as the LA Galaxy’s Javier Hernandez and as big of a box office hit as LAFC’s Carlos Vela, his talent is undeniable. In 22 appearances throughout 2020, the 30 year old finished as Minnesota’s leading scorer with 13 goals and was pivotal in their runs to both the West Final and the MLS is Back Tournament semifinal.

What Columbus achieved didn’t go unnoticed by Molino. The squad that the Black & Gold built, including the aforementioned Nagbe and Zelarayan who were acquired last offseason and key cogs in the championship wheel, was enticing to play with but the intrigued of coming to play under a proven head coach in Caleb Porter, despite never working together, was a major pull for Molino as well.

“I’ve been a fan of Porter since Portland. I watched that team play,” Molino added in talking about what he enjoys about the prospect of playing for the Crew. “The good relationships he has had with Nagbe, (Gyasi) Zardes and the other players (I enjoy), I’m looking forward to being in Columbus and training with them.”

Since debuting with Orlando City SC in MLS in 2015, Molino has appeared in 104 league games while scoring 32 goals and contributing 27 assists. He averages a goal or an assist every 131 minutes of play throughout his career and Molino’s only gotten better with age.

In Minnesota, the midfielder made 67 regular season appearances (58 starts), notching 21 goals and 18 assists, which made him one of the most sought-after free agents available this offseason.

“Throughout his time in this League, Kevin Molino has been one of the most talented and explosive wingers in Major League Soccer, and he proved that not only throughout the 2020 regular season, but most recently when it mattered most, in the playoffs, on a team that was minutes away from an MLS Cup final,” Crew president and general manager Tim Bezbatchenko in a statement after the signing was made official. “Kevin will bring individual game-changing ability, with his smart and technical play, which will aid in our team chemistry with our other top quality attackers.”

Molino joins an attacking group loaded with talent, which includes Wright-Phillips, Zardes, Pedro Santos, Zelarayan, Luis Diaz and Derrick Etienne Jr. With a new downtown stadium on the horizon in 2021 and the club’s inclusion in the CONCACAF Champions League, the decision to come to Columbus wasn’t a hard one for Molino.

Looking for a club that had ambition was really all it came down to for the club’s newest Trinidad international.

“The new stadium, signing one of the best strikers in the history of the league, Bradley, and they just signed (Perry) Kitchen,” said Molino. “The ambition there is to shoot for the stars and I want to be part of that. I want to be the best and I try to think that I am the best. That’s how you have to play and not to be second-best. It fit my mentality and personality.”

If he could bring the same ambition to the National team we would be in a better place-  All dem star boyz does fuhget the TnT air  which give dem birth- Once they head get too big- they does  be clouded with  personal ambition- little do you hear them proclaim the glorification of  playing on the National team and going for glory.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #836 on: February 25, 2021, 01:43:55 AM »
Molino: Sportsmen must support women.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

National footballer Kevin Molino expressed sadness with the recent increase of gender based violence in T&T.

The former Minnesota United midfielder has been vociferous on the recent spate of violence against women in T&T and called on men to do better.

Molino’s comments come after the recent murders of 18-year old Ashanti Riley, in December 2020, and 22-year court clerk Andrea Bharatt two weeks ago.

After Riley’s death, Molino and former Seattle Sounders player Joevin Jones used the December 7 Major League Soccer (MLS) semi-final to highlight this problem by wearing custom jerseys appealing to T&T to protect their women and children.

He thinks athletes and sport personalities have a duty and platform to set a positive example for young men and women to follow.

In a recent interview with TT Football Association media, he said, “It’s heartbreaking. We as sportsmen have the platform to push it and support the women fully. Women are very important in our lives. I hope we continue protect the women as best as possible.”

Molino, who recently signed for MLS squad Columbus Crew, added that sport is important since it unifies and brings people together.

“We have the platform so whatever it takes for us to do to push it and support, we are here to do it,” he added.

He also expressed pleasure to be back training with then national team on their journey through the FIFA World Cup qualifiers which gets underway on March 25, against Guyana.

This is Molino’s first time working under head coach Terry Fenwick. He joined the squad, in December, after returning home from a hectic MLS season.

“I agreed to join (the team), be with the guys and new staff and the positive vibes. I’m looking forward to the game. Progress by progress and we’re working hard every day to get where we want to be and we’re looking forward to the game,” he said.

On his recent selection to represent Columbus Crew, Molino said, “(I’m) excited and looking forward to it. I represent a lot of Trinidadians who play there, especially Stern John. I’m just excited to go there and partake with the team and looking forward to a good season and win trophies.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 29, 2021, 06:16:22 PM »
Columbus Crew SC's Caleb Porter: New signing Kevin Molino on a "different level"
By Tom Bogert (MLSsoccer.com)

It hasn't taken new Columbus Crew SC signing Kevin Molino to leave a positive impression on his new bosses.

Molino signed with the Crew this winter after a number of years with Minnesota United and was widely regarded as the top free agent on the market. The winger has been battling a minor hamstring injury this preseason, making his friendly debut on Saturday against Orlando City SC, but the early signs are strong.

“When you see some of the things he does in training, it’s a different level," head coach Caleb Porter told media on a virtual press conference. "Some of the ideas, the stuff he pulls off. Once we get him fit and sharp, he’s just got a little different individual creativity. The combination with him, Lucas [Zelarayan] and Pedro [Santos] has been fun.”

Molino enjoyed one of the best years of his career in 2020, with nine goals and four assists in 18 appearances (15 starts) then another four goals in three playoff games. The 30-year-old has 32 goals and 27 assists in 104 career MLS matches and was twice named USL PRO MVP before making his MLS debut.

He was a sought-after free agent, and Minnesota didn't want to see him leave, but Molino is excited about his future.

“Just watching the way how Columbus played was really exciting," Molino said. "It was an easy choice for me to come over.”

Molino adds to an already deep and talented attacking core, led by MLS Cup MVP Zelarayan and Santos, as well as Gyasi Zardes. Molino is expected to start at left wing amid that quartet when he's fit and the club are at full strength.

“He’s a very creative player," Porter said. "He brings a little bit different of a profile. He can unbalance teams off the dribble, plays a lot of combinations and one-twos. He’s a really good final third player, very clever. I’ve seen a lot of nice interplay with him, Gyasi, Lucas and Pedro. We just have to give that time to gel.”

CCL fever

Molino could be in line for his competitive debut with the club on April 8 as they embark on their Concacaf Champions League run. They face Nicaraguan side Real Esteli and are big favorites.

“We’re not where we want to be yet, but we just need time," Porter said. "That first game, I hope we’ll have a good performance. Not as good as we want but hopefully good enough to win.”

While the Crew haven't participated in CCL since 2011, backup goalkeeper Evan Bush is a player with more recent experience in the competition. He was the starting goalkeeper for CF Montreal in their memorable run to the final in 2015, losing to Club America in the final. He thinks Columbus has what it takes to mount a run.

“You need depth, which I think this club has," Bush said. "When healthy, our roster is up there with the top roster in the league. You need quality, which we also have.”

That's not all an MLS team needs to have to navigate the CCL, particularly on trips south when playing away from home.

"You need to be able to play the game that Concacaf demands you play, if that makes sense," Bush said. "A lot of teams are going to try to do things to get under your skin, make the game choppy, bait you, tackle you, those sort of things. You can't let it affect you."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 12, 2021, 08:20:59 AM »
Columbus Crew SC  midfielder Kevin Molino sidelined for approximately six to eight weeks
Crew SC Communications

Columbus Crew SC today announced that after additional evaluation, midfielder Kevin Molino is expected to be sidelined for approximately six to eight weeks due to a recurring hamstring injury.

A six-year MLS veteran, the Trinidad and Tobago international was signed by Crew SC on January 7, 2021, joining from Minnesota United FC. To date, the forward has made 104 MLS regular-season appearances (91 starts), scoring 32 goals and registering 27 assists.

Crew SC is set to host Real Esteli at Historic Crew Stadium for the Second Leg of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 on Thursday, April 15 [8:00 p.m. ET/FS1, TUDN]. Following Thursday’s contest, the Crew begins the 2021 MLS regular season at home on Sunday, April 18, against the Philadelphia Union [5:30 p.m. ET/FS1, FOX Deportes/ 97.1 The Fan (English), ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 12, 2021, 09:44:57 AM »
Not again!!! :(

1]; } ?>