April 27, 2024, 10:33:20 PM

Author Topic: Keeping an eye on KAB's rivals and others at US Trials Women's 100m Final & more  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
http://trackalerts.com/index.php/news/latest-stories/7190-tarmoh-third-in-trials-100-beard-and-humphreys-advance-to-finals

Tarmoh third in Trials 100, Beard and Humphreys advance to finals
Created on Sunday, 24 June 2012 02:46 | Written by Press Release | |

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cf4jmBno4Jw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Cf4jmBno4Jw</a>

EUGENE, Oregon – With a third-place time of 11.07 seconds in the women's 100 meters Aggie All-American Jeneba Tarmoh initially edged out Allyson Felix by 0.001 of a second (11.068 to 11.069) to earn a spot on the United States team for London this summer during the Olympic Team Trials at Hayward Field on Saturday.

A bit later the official times for Tarmoh and Felix both read 11.068, creating a tie for third place and the need for a committee to discuss the tie-breaking procedure.

"I'm so happy," said Tarmoh. "Being that close to Allyson is one of the greatest things I've ever accomplished this year. Throughout the season I've been consistently close to Allyson, who is my training partner. There is no other person I'd rather be that close to in a race like this."

The action-filled day, which included a world record decathlon victory for Ashton Eaton with 9,039 points, also had a pair of Aggies advancing to finals with Jessica Beard in the women's 400 and Sam Humphreys in the men's javelin.

Tarmoh was stationed in lane one for the final after placing third in the third semifinal heat with a time of 11.10, fourth best among the eighth finalist. Tarmoh had strong start in the final, which had her among the leaders early in the race.

"The start of the race is my strength," noted Tarmoh. "I've been working on that aspect of my race in order to get out ahead of other people in the race and then try to stay ahead."

Carmelita Jeter won the 100 final in 10.92 with a +0.9 wind while Tianna Madison claimed second in 10.96. Tarmoh and a fast closing Felix were very close at the finish and it took a few seconds for the time to be verified for the third-place position.

"It was so annoying waiting for the official time to come up," said Tarmoh. "I was getting really anxious, but I knew I had to be patient. When my name showed up as third I didn't know what to do. I almost cried tears of joy."

Tarmoh also made the 2011 World Championship team in the 200m with a third-place finish at Hayward Field last year.

"This is a special track, I love this track, it's amazing," stated Tarmoh.

Humphreys advanced to the finals of the men's javelin with a toss of 256-3 (78.12) in the qualifying round. Humphreys placed second overall among the field of 24, trailing only a 263-4 (80.27) from NCAA champion Tim Glover of Illinois State.

"I've thrown against all these guys, except for maybe three people," said Humphreys. "So being in this competition is nothing new. I have pretty good confidence in myself that if I can do what I've been trained to do, then it will happen.

"I was definitely a little bit more nervous since it's a bigger meet. There is a lot more on the line here. As soon as my warm-ups started going real well, I started calming down a bit. I was able to relax and just think about the three throws I needed today to get to Monday's final."

After opening with a mark of 253-9 (77.35), Humphreys had his best effort in the second round. However, in the third stanza Humphreys unleashed a throw over the 80-meter line (262-5), but fouled the effort when he couldn't keep his momentum from carrying him across the foul line.

"I'm upset about the last throw, but the main thing was to make the finals and thrown again on Monday," stated Humphreys. "The final throw felt great and real smooth. It was just horrible that I stepped over the line.

"On the last throw coach told me to keep my last cross over real low and get my feet down quicker. I changed that up and I think I got my feet down quicker. I heard the crowd react to the throw and seeing it land over the 80 meter mark, but knowing I fouled, just breaks my heart."

Later in the afternoon Beard finished fourth in her semifinal of the 400 with a time of 51.59 over Joanna Atkins, 51.76, in fifth place. Francena McCorory won the heat in 50.55 with Debbie Dunn (50.99) and Natasha Hastings (51.28) taking second and third.

"I'm happy I made it to the final, but I wanted to run better for the lane draw," Beard said. "Whatever I get in the final I'm going to give it my all. The race went okay, but I felt like I tightened up in the last 30 meters. It's nothing I can't fix for tomorrow."

The four qualifiers from the other heat included Sanya Richards-Ross (50.81), Dee Dee Trotter (51.23), Diamond Dixon (51.58) and Keshia Baker (51.62).

Michael Preble finished seventh in his semifinal heat of the 800 with a time of 1:49.95. Preble was in fourth place during the first circuit of the race. With 650m remaining, runners in the back half of the pack made their move. That left Preble in sixth place through the final curve.

Another semifinal had incoming Aggie Aldrich Bailey placing seventh in a loaded heat of the 400 with a time of 45.82. Bailey, who drew lane 8 for the second time at the Olympic Trials, had a solid start and then started to see other runners go by him through the curve.

The heat was claimed by LaShawn Merritt in 44.78, with Bryshon Nellum second in 45.16, while Manteo Mitchell was third and Jeremy Wariner fourth, both in 45.27.

In the men's 100, Prezel Hardy, Jr. placed sixth in his heat with a 10.55 and didn't advance to the semifinal on time.

On Sunday, events involving Texas A&M athletes include the women's discus with incoming Aggie Shelbi Vaughan as well as Beard in the 400, where she will run out of lane 2.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:15:44 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
How come they not showing this on TV?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile

7pm on nbc
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile

7pm on nbc

:beermug:   see diving going on now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Allison Felix had de worse start!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big race now 100m final
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
USATF Announces Procedure to Determine Dead Heat between Felix & Tarmoh
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
http://www.flotrack.org/article/13175-USATF-Announces-Procedure-to-Determine-Dead-Heat-between-Felix-Tarmoh

USATF Announces Procedure to Determine Dead Heat between Felix & Tarmoh
Ryan From Flotrack on June 24, 2012, 8:55pm

Dead-heat procedures announced
6/24/2012

USA Track & Field and the United States Olympic Committee announce the following procedures, to be applied to the women’s 100 meters and any other running event for which there may be a dead heat for third place at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Track & Field.

These procedures were developed through consultation between USATF officials and representatives of the Olympic track & field athlete community, and were presented to and approved by the USOC. USATF President and Chairman Stephanie Hightower, CEO Max Siegel, USOC CEO Scott Blackmun and Sport Performance officials from both organizations contributed to the formation and approval of these procedures.

The USOC approves all selection procedures for the Olympic Team in each sport and had previously approved track & field selection procedures entering the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials. Those procedures did not take into account a third-place dead heat.
 The affected athletes and/or their representatives have been informed of these procedures. USATF will provide an update when the final means of determining which athlete will fill the third spot on the Olympic Team in the women’s 100 meters has been established.

In case of a tie, the following procedure shall be used for breaking a tie for the final qualifying slot in a running-event final in which a U.S. National Team or Olympic Team is being selected:

1. If either athlete declines his or her position on the National Team/Olympic Team, that athlete will be named the alternate and the other athlete will assume the final available position.

2. If neither athlete declines their position, they will be given the option to determine the tie-breaker via coin toss or by run-off.
1. If both athletes choose the same option, that option will be utilized as the tie-breaker.

2. If the athletes disagree on the tie-breaker, the tie will be broken by a run-off.

3. If both athletes refuse to declare a preference regarding the method between a run off and coin toss in regards to how the tie is broken, the tie will be broken by coin toss.

Run-Off Protocol

USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance, in consultation with the athletes and their coaches, will determine the time of the run-off depending on entry deadlines, travel, practice and competition schedules, and the best interests of the National Team/Olympic Team.

If the run-off also results in a dead heat, the tie will be broken by a coin toss.

Coin Toss Protocol

USATF shall provide a United States Quarter Dollar coin with the image of George Washington appearing on the obverse hub of the coin and an Eagle appearing on the reverse hub of the coin.  Each athlete shall inspect the coin to ensure the obverse and reverse hubs of the coin reflect the images of George Washington and the Eagle, respectively.

The athlete with the highest world ranking according to the IAAF rankings as of 8 am PST on the date of the coin toss shall declare his or her choice of "heads" for the obverse hub or "tails" for the reverse hub.  If the athlete with the highest world ranking chooses not to declare his or her choice, that athlete shall be assigned the choice of heads for the obverse hub of the coin. The other athlete shall be designated, by default, the choice either: 1. Not chosen by the highest-ranking athlete or 2. Tails should the highest-ranking athlete choose not to declare his or her choice.

The choices shall be confirmed by a representative chosen by USATF.   Once the choices have been made and confirmed by the USATF representative, each athlete shall face each other and the USATF representative shall bend his or her index finger at a 90 degree angle to his or her thumb, allowing the coin to rest on his or her thumb. In one single action, the USATF representative shall toss the coin into the air, allowing the coin to fall to the ground.

Once the coin has fallen to the ground, the USATF representative shall, without touching or lifting the coin, view the coin and determine whether the coin has landed on the obverse or reverse hub.  In the event that the coin does not fall completely on either the obverse or reverse hub, the USATF representative shall repeat the toss process as described above.

The athlete who chose the hub that is displayed shall be declared the winner by the USATF representative.

In the event either or both athlete refuses to participate in the coin toss, the USATF representative shall assign the athlete with the highest world ranking "heads" and the other athlete "tails" and shall toss the coin in the presence of at least two witnesses and declare the winner pursuant to the procedure set forth above.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:57:49 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This coin toss protocol by the USATF looks like it will have as much drama as a football penalty shootout yes!! 

The run-off protocol looks like it will be fairer and much less dramatic!! :devil:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:11:06 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is there really such thing as a tie?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
I agree with the last paragraph of this article which I've highlighted in red!

http://www.flotrack.org/blog/42251-Is-there-really-such-thing-as-a-tie

Is there really such thing as a tie?
Ben Enowitz on June 25, 2012, 12:19am

Growing up playing baseball I often heard the phrase, “tie goes to the runner,” meaning if the first baseman catches the ball at the exact moment that the base-runner’s foot touches the base then the base-runner is safe. This decision is left to the umpire’s discretion, using only the power of observation. Fortunately, the sport of track and field has embraced 21st century technologies and uses advanced cameras that can shoot 3,000 frames per second to determine the winner of a close race. Yet, in perhaps the biggest story of the trials thus far, Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh were judged to be in a “dead heat” for the third and final qualifying position for the U.S. 100m team. So now we ask: what happens when two runners are judged to cross the finish line at exactly the same time? The tie definitely goes to the runner, but to which one?

In theory, there is no such thing as a tie. At first Felix and Tarmoh were reported to have run 11.07 seconds. To differentiate between the two runners, officials were instructed to use photo-finish images that allowed an additional decimal of accuracy to 1/1000th of a second. Tarmoh was credited with a time of 11.067 seconds, with Felix just slower in 11.068. Originally just 0.001 seconds separated the two runners, but it is important to note that this was just an approximation. Upon further review, both runners were judged to have run 11.068 and to have tied for third place. However, this decision was made because a lack of precise timing rather than because the runners actually crossed the line at the same time. In fact, if timing instruments were more precise, we could look one decimal place further and settle the race. Maybe Tarmoh ran 11.0678 and Felix ran 11.0679, or maybe they really did tie and both ran 11.0678. For the sake of argument, let’s say they both ran 11.0678. We could look one decimal further and maybe Tarmoh ran 11.06776 and Felix ran 11.06779. In theory, we can keep looking one decimal place further until we eventually determine who crossed the line first. Although Tarmoh and Felix may have been both clocked in 11.068 according to the up-to-date timing technology, it is not true that they crossed the finish line at exactly the same time.

Now let’s look into the math. Assuming we have infinite precision in timing, it is impossible for two continuous variables to take on the same value. Introductory statistics courses teach us that if there are an infinite number of points, then the probability of achieving exactly one point is zero (if we randomly draw a number from 0 to 1, there is a zero percent change that we will draw exactly 0.5). Thus, the probability that two runners will run EXACTLY the same time is zero. The issue here is that we are limited by technology that is used for timing. The camera used for official timing shoots 3,000 frames per second. While this seems like a lot, there are many cameras that can shoot significantly more. For example, this camera can shoot 10,000 frames per second.

This is what is different in track. We judge runners by a continuous variable (time) whereas sports like baseball, football, and basketball teams are judged by discrete variables (points or runs). There are an infinite number of different times that Felix and Tarmoh could run between 10 and 12 seconds, but there are only a finite number of achievable scores that the Miami Heat can score between 70 and 130 points. By this, I mean that a runner can run 100 meters in 10.5 seconds, 10.49 seconds, 10.499 seconds, 10.4999 seconds, and the list of potential times goes on and on. However, a basketball team can only score 70 or 71 points. They can’t score 70.5 points let alone 70.49 points. Thus, the number of achievable scores between 70 and 130 is finite (70,71,72,…,128,129,130).

By this time you’re asking me: What should the USATF do? My initial vote was to have Paris Hilton and the Kardashians (both allegedly attending this meet) come to a consensus about which runner should advance. However, the probability that this happens is about the same as two runner’s running the same time…zero. So the better solution is to use the data that we have. We have approximate positions for each runner at discrete time steps that could be used to interpolate new data points, including an estimate for time at which each runner crossed the finish line. Although difficult, I definitely think it could be done. Using mathematical techniques, we can create a curve that connects that various data points that are given, illustrating the real winner with a high, but certainly not 100%, degree of certainty. I doubt the USATF will use this method because it isn’t as accessible as the photo evidence that is usually released.

Nevertheless, the USATF has decided that a coin-flip or runoff will decide who is sent to London. Regardless of the outcome, I hope the USATF learns from this confusion. However, instead of spending time creating a policy in case of a tie, they should recognize that there is no such thing as a tie and invest in some faster cameras.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:51:09 AM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
On a good note KAB's form looked better here than in NY. It's going to be very tough but KAB has the mindset to go far- definitely the final and from there anything can happen. SAFP has her start back and is holding top end well so I feel she is favorite I expect VCB and Sheri-Ann brookes to complete the line up. All I can say is do your best KAB!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gay says if he was in Felix's position he would walk away and give up the 100m spot to Tarmoh.
What a nice humble guy!

Click link to view video: http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/athlete-village-hub?vid=8595651e-624e-4975-b032-0262b0064286
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:38:30 AM by Socapro »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
On a good note KAB's form looked better here than in NY. It's going to be very tough but KAB has the mindset to go far- definitely the final and from there anything can happen. SAFP has her start back and is holding top end well so I feel she is favorite I expect VCB and Sheri-Ann brookes to complete the line up. All I can say is do your best KAB!

Agreed, she was "trotting" in that final at HCS
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.cleveland.com/olympics/index.ssf/2012/06/new_coach_new_outlook_have_bol.html

New coach, new outlook have bolstered Tianna Madison's Olympic possibilities
Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 10:32 PM

EUGENE, Ore. -- Tianna Madison's next steps are twice as many, but she feels as though she already has arrived.

After qualifying for the London Olympics in the 100 meters last Saturday, Madison runs the 200 prelims today, and has not ruled out competing in the long jump, which begins Friday.

That means, potentially, Madison could attempt four events in London, including the 4x100 relay.

She declined to comment directly on the possibility of joining track royalty as a rare Olympic four-eventer. She instead reflected on a new life outlook that has sparked her remarkable comeback this year.

"The point of changing my life and living by honor, integrity and respect is that you don't have to limit yourself. There are no limits," she told The Plain Dealer after practice Wednesday, an off day for the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials.

Her coach, Rana Reider, admitted the four events in London is a possibility, but didn't give it much thought other than to say, "It would be historic."

The long-jump prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. Friday, less than 30 minutes after the 200 semifinals. The 200 final is Saturday, and the long jump final is Sunday.

Not wanting to jeopardize Madison's chances in the 200, Reider might hold her out of the long jump.

"When you're running 10.90 [in the 100], the long jump is probably third behind the 200," he said. "We'll visit about it, but it's not high on my priority list."

Madison, 26, was the world long-jump champion as a 19-year-old in 2005, but since then has not competed at that level -- in any event -- until this year.

Madison joined up with Reider last September in Florida and re-emerged as a sprinter. She won a 60-meter bronze medal at the indoor world championships. She was second to Carmelita Jeter in the 100-meter final here.

The highly regarded Reider, who was the USA Track and Field's 2011 Coach of the Year, explains he revamped Madison's running style.

"I basically broke her down completely and taught her how to run the way I want her to run, and I didn't take into account the way she ran before at all," he said, adding that Madison was a quick study.

"She was able to have some success off the bat," he said. "From what she's done this year, she's made huge progress. She's made an honest effort to be the best."

The 200 features Jeter, trials 400 champ Sanya Richards-Ross and five-time U.S. champ Allyson Felix. Madison ran a personal-best 22.37 recently, which ranks her fifth in the world behind Richards-Ross, Kimberlyn Duncan, Felix and Jeter.

"If she runs like she's been running, I think she has a chance to make the team. If we run a [personal best], then we're in the mix," Reider said.

Madison was clear she's content, no matter what happens the rest of this week.

"I've already done all the work," she said. "I've already changed my life for the better. When I line up for that 200, it's not about winning. It's not about making the team.

"In that respect, there's going to be no disappointment no matter what the result is, what place, what time, because I know I would have done everything to get to that point. Nothing bad can come of the results of the 200 or the long jump. I'm just having fun and that's makes all the difference."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Felix runs fastest 200m in 14 years
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/track-and-field/allyson-felix-wins-womens-200m.html

Felix runs fastest 200m in 14 years
By: ReutersUpdated: Jul 1, 1:48a ET

2012 USA Track and Field Olympic Trials - Women's 200m
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBwnKScawRk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rBwnKScawRk</a>

Allyson Felix, Carmelita Jeter and Sanya Richards-Ross qualify for London by finishing in the top three of a loaded 200m final at the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials.

EUGENE, Oregon (Reuters) - Two-times Olympic silver medalist Allyson Felix ran the sixth fastest 200 meters of all time as she won the U.S. Olympic trials in a blazing 21.69 seconds on Saturday.

The performance, the fastest in the half-lap event in 14 years, set Felix up for a London showdown with Jamaican Olympic Veronica Campbell-Brown, who has defeated the American in the last two Games.

"I was thrilled with my race," Felix told reporters. "I feel like everything came together. I felt like I executed today and ran a great curve, which is something I've been working on."

World and trials 100 meters champion Carmelita Jeter finished almost a half second behind Felix in 22.11 seconds.

Sanya Richards-Ross, the trials' 400m winner, also made the U.S. team in a second event by finishing third in 22.22.

But Felix's training partner Jeneba Tarmoh missed a spot on the team in the 200 with a fifth place finish in 22.35.

FAST HURDLES

The sparkling race came minutes after world indoor hurdles champion Aries Merritt had cruised to the year's fastest 110 meters high hurdles in a lifetime best 12.93 seconds despite wet conditions.

"I had a great start and I'm a build hurdler, I get faster as I go. I fulfilled my dream today," said Merritt, who became the 14th hurdler to break the 13-second barrier but remains behind the world record of 12.87 set by Cuban rival Dayron Robles.

World champion Jason Richardson, who had broken 13 seconds for the first time in the semi-finals, was second in 12.98 while Jeff Porter claimed a surprising third in 13.08.

Ailing American record holder and Olympic medallist David Oliver missed out on a trip to London when he finished fifth, running 13.17.

"I just didn't get it done," said a hobbling Oliver.

Felix clearly did, though, with her stirring run through the bend and down the home stretch.

"It was fantastic," coach Bob Kersee told Reuters after watching Felix cruise home in her bright neon compression leg sleeves.

"To run 21.69 in these conditions shows what kind of world class athlete she is. At 80 meters (into the race) she was digging."

Felix, Tarmoh and Kersee said no decision had been made on how the two would decide their controversial third-place tie in the 100 meters.

Under newly adopted tie-breaking procedures, the athletes have a choice of a coin flip or runoff if one of them does not give up her 100 meters spot.

"I don't think the world would accept a coin flip at this point," Kersee said. "The other two options are up to them."

USA Track & Field officials have told Kersee and the athletes any runoff should take place on Sunday, the final day of the trials.

YEAR'S BEST

World triple jump champion Christian Taylor showed he was ready to claim gold in London with the best mark in the world this season, 17.63 meters.

Global indoor winner Will Claye also looked like a medal contender as he bounded 17.55 meters.

Olympic silver medallist Hyleas Fountain dominated the heptathlon with 6,419 points. Sharon Day and Chantae McMillan also booked trips to London.

In the women's high jump, indoor champion Chaunte Lowe did not allow the rain to slow her.

Lowe cleared an impressive 2.01 meters to win on misses over collegian Brigetta Barrett, who mastered the same height.

The 36-year-old Amy Acuff made her fifth U.S. Olympic team by coming out of a two-year retirement to place third at 1.95 meters.

"Deep down I felt like I had unfinished business so I had to come back," said Acuff. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:03:31 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/blog=olympic-talk/post/will-allyson-felix-or-jeneba-tarmoh-win-the-100m-run-off.html

Will Felix or Tarmoh win the 100m runoff?
By: Matthew Kitchen, NBC OlympicsUpdated: Jul 1, 11:17p ET

It's on.

News about the women’s 100m tie-breaker finally came Sunday, eight days after Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh ran identical (and simultaneous) 11.068 secs times at the U.S. Trials to finish in a dead heat for the third and final spot on the team.

After Sunday's long deliberation that included track legend Jackie Joyner-Kersee, but not her husband, Bob, who happens to be both sprinters’ coach, the women decided it was on. It was totally on. Possibly like Donkey Kong. The two women chose a runoff over a coin flip and will decide it on the track at 8pm eastern Monday on NBC.

So who has the edge? We have to give it to Felix, who must be feeling pretty fast after running 21.69 in the 200m Saturday, the best time at that event in 14 years and the sixth fastest in history. She was stuck in the blocks at the 100m Finals, but surged to catch Tarmoh at the line. She also clocked a personal best 10.92 100m in Doha back in May.

By comparison, Tarmoh’s personal best is the 11.068 she ran last week. Her times are more consistent, but Tarmoh averaged 11.140 this season, as opposed to Felix's 11.117, suggesting Tarmoh got a boost from the surrounding competition in the race. Both will have a hard time getting the adrenaline going one-on-one.

The pair will be heading to the Games as part of the 4x100m relay team, but only one will get to race as an individual. We hoped Felix would offer the spot to her training partner in a sign of solidarity, but the three-time medalist stuck to her guns and will hope to compete in the 100m/200m double in London.

It's totally on.

Follow Olympic Talk for all the latest on the London Games.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:18:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US 100-metre tiebreaker runoff set for today
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/US_100-metre_tiebreaker_runoff_set_for_today_-161035225.html

US 100-metre tiebreaker runoff set for today
Story Created: Jul 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM ECT

EUGENE

The tie for third place in the women's 100 metres at the U.S. track trials will be decided by a runoff today.

Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh will race to determine the third member of the Olympic team for London, officials confirmed yesterday.

Felix and Tarmoh finished in a dead heat for third in the 100 more than a week ago. Track officials had no policy in place to resolve it but devised a tiebreaker that included the options of a runoff or a coin flip.

The resolution of the race was delayed because the coach for both athletes said they wanted to wait to make a decision until after Saturday night's 200 metres so they could focus on that race. (See Page 73)

The runoff will be held at 5 p.m. local time—8 p.m. EDT—at Hayward Field. It's not something Tarmoh is looking forward to.

"In my heart of hearts, I just feel like I earned the third spot. I almost feel like I was kind of robbed," Tarmoh said.

Originally, Tarmoh was declared the third-place finisher behind winner Carmelita Jeter and runner-up Tianna Madison. The official scoring said she had edged training partner Felix by 0.0001 seconds. But the photo finish was reviewed and the dead heat was announced.

In swimming, ties are settled with swim-offs between the two deadlocked opponents. Track has tiebreaking procedures for many of its events, as well, but this was a special case for which there is no written solution—a tie for the last spot on the Olympic team.

A day after the disputed race, USATF announced the tiebreaking options. Scenarios included a runoff, a coin flip, or one athlete could concede the race to the other.

Bobby Kersee, coach for both of the women, proclaimed soon thereafter that he did not want to distract his runners from the 200 on Saturday night, which Felix handily won. Tarmoh failed to qualify for London in the 200, finishing fifth. She could run in the 400 relay at the Olympics.

A meeting among the athletes, their agents and USATF representatives was held at a hotel in Eugene, yesterday.

"They both feel they deserve a spot on the team and they're willing to do it in a competitive manner and a competitive fashion," said Stephanie Hightower, president of USA Track and Field. "I think it's good for the sport and it's good for them to show their level of competitiveness and passion and drive for what they've been working so hard to accomplish.

"The bottom line is that this is, in my opinion, the best way to be able to resolve this issue."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Felix versus Tarmoh runoff could now be in jeopardy
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/tim_layden/07/01/felix.tarmoh.100.runoff.newser/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Felix-Tarmoh runoff in jeopardy

EUGENE, Ore. -- According to a source, late Sunday night officials from USA Track and Field were working to convince sprinter Jeneba Tarmoh to participate in Monday evening's unprecedented tie-breaking 100-meter runoff at Hayward Field to decide the final individual spot on the U.S. women's 100 team in London. Tarmoh, 22, and training partner Allyson Felix, 26, a two-time Olympic silver medalist in the 200 are scheduled to race at shortly after 5 p.m., Pacific Time. NBC has committed to televising the runoff live to the Eastern and Central time zones, cutting into coverage of the U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials.

However, Sunday evening Tarmoh had decided to pull out of the race, although she had not officially withdrawn. Tarmoh had agreed to the runoff in an emotional meeting early Sunday afternoon. At the meeting, an SI.com story from June 26, in which chief photo finish judge Roger Jennings detailed the process by which last Saturday's dead heat was called, was discussed by representatives of all parties. In that story and accompanying video Jennings explains how he called Tarmoh the winner and then after asking for USATF officials to review his call because of the importance of third place in the Olympic Trials, was overruled.

Later Sunday, in an afternoon interview with The Associated Press, Tarmoh said, "In my heart of hearts, I just feel like I earned the third spot. I almost feel like I was kind of robbed.'' According to the source, any confusion about the photo finish is only part of Tarmoh's reticence to participate in the runoff. A first-year professional, Tarmoh is also exhausted from the week-long controversy and was disinclined to participate from the beginning.

Late Sunday night a USATF official asked SI.com for a copy of the Jennings story and said the organization was on a "fact-finding mission.'' According to sources, USATF officials were meeting with timing officials Sunday night, seeking clarification.

While the path to setting up Monday's runoff has been a carnival of ill-preparedness and bureaucratic sloth on the part of USATF, the race itself is likely to be one of the most-watched domestic track and field contests in the history of the sport. It removes the dense and slow-moving clutter that makes the sport largely inaccessible to a mass audience and reduces it to a one-on-one, high-stakes test of speed that will unfold in less time than a good NFL kickoff return.

"We're going to see a dramatization of what our sport can potentially be in the 21st century,'' said former U.S. Olympic gold medal relay sprinter Jon Drummond. "This is going to be reality TV at its grandest.''

USA Track and Field announced the runoff Sunday afternoon in Eugene, Ore., which was scheduled as the last day of the trials, but now they have practically been extended by one day for the inclusion of a single event to decide the last open place on the team that competes in London at the end of this month. Plans for staging the event unfolded in real time Sunday afternoon.

"I found out at 2 o'clock, same time as the media,'' said Vin Lanana, track coach at Oregon, co-chairman of local organizing committee and in effect the meet director. "It's not simple. Safety and security are the issues. But we'll put on a show.''

If she runs, Tarmoh will contest the race in lane four and Felix in lane five. If the race were to finish in another dead heat, a coin flip would decide the third member of the team.

The stakes are decidedly higher for Tarmoh. Felix is a two-time Olympic silver medalist in the 200 and on Saturday night at Hayward secured her third individual Olympic berth with a stunning victory in the 200 in a time of 21.69 seconds, the sixth-fastest time in history and fastest by any runner in 14 years. Tarmoh is trying to earn her first Olympic berth. Both sprinters, regardless of the outcome of the runoff, are officially members of the Olympic team in the 4X100 relay pool. It is unclear which might run in the final of the event, if Team USA makes the final, or which might run only in the rounds.

Accordingly, the two women come to this intensely pressurized event from vastly different angles and with subtly polarized attitudes: Felix, the international veteran and a well-compensated star in the vertical world of track and field, dislikes the runoff, but accepts it professionally.

"Given the options placed in front us,'' she said Sunday. "The best thing is to just run. I think, more than anything else, it's just all going to be really weird. It's not going to be neat or anything like that. Just weird.''

Tarmoh, meanwhile, a relative rookie in her first full year as a professional runner, is bitter, still feels the strange timeline of eight days earlier, when she was initially declared the winner of the race (see explanation below), and then after emotionally celebrating with a victory lap, was told that instead the race was a dead heat.

"I'm not that excited at all," Tarmoh told The Associated Press Sunday. "This decision was really hard for me to make. I was pushed into a corner. They said if you don't make a decision, you give your spot up. I work too hard to just give my spot up. I had to say it was a runoff."

Sunday's announcement brought some hope for closure after eight days of uncertainty, since Felix and Tarmoh crossed the line together on the evening of June 23 behind winner Carmelita Jeter and runner-up Tianna Madison. Initially the Hayward scoreboard showed that Tarmoh had secured third place with a time of 11.067 seconds, with Felix second in 11.068. But shortly afterward, USATF declared the race a dead heat.

(In an interview with SI.com three days after the race, chief photo finish judge Roger Jennings described the pressured scene in the booth above Hayward Field. It was Jennings whose eyesight designated Tarmoh the unofficial third-place finisher, but it was also Jennings who protested his own decision and called for a USATF ruling because the high stakes in place at the Olympic Trials. In any other race in the U.S., it is likely that Jennings's initial ruling would have stood and Tarmoh would have been named to the team, with Felix as an alternate. Jennings will also be the photo finish judge for the runoff.)

Shortly after the dead heat was declared, USATF officials admitted in an awkward press conference that it did not have in place procedures to break a tie in the event of a third-place tie at the Olympic Trials. Twenty-fours hours later, on Sunday night at Hayward Field in Eugene, at another press conference that was more surreal than awkward, USATF unveiled tiebreaking procedures that included "coin-toss protocols,'' but essentially left it up to Felix, Tarmoh and their shared coach, Bob Kersee, to decide the time and place for a possible runoff. USATF said only that it would all be decided by Sunday night (and in the end, even that promise was broken).

What unfolded next was an uncomfortable week in which a frustrated Kersee frequently called reporters late at night to lobby for an extension beyond the Sunday deadline, with sparse response from USATF. Felix and Tarmoh ran qualifying and semifinal rounds of the 200 and were whisked through the media zone like celebrities stalked by paparazzi.

Theories abounded, the most popular of which was that Felix would decline her place in the 100 to concentrate on her better event. On Sunday, Felix said that was never in play, because she has been running 100 races throughout the spring and early summer to sharpen her speed for the 200. Her 21.69 owes in no small part to the three 100s that preceded it.

"For me, it's always been about the 200, and the 100 makes me better in the 200,'' said Felix. "So I'm going to fight for that 100 meters.''

Another theory was that shoe-and-apparel giant Nike, which sponsors both athletes, would get involved on Felix's behalf, because the company's financial commitment to Felix is far more significant. There is no evidence that happened, but such action seldom leaves a trail. There was also speculation that NBC, recognizing that a runoff makes much better television than a coin flip, would push to make it happen. (And NBC's freelance production trucks were contracted to leave Eugene no later than Tuesday morning.) NBC officials said Sunday that the network did not get involved and, in fact, will incur significant cost to keep a production in place for the runoff.

The intensity grew on Saturday night with Felix's spectacular 200 performance. Tarmoh finished only fifth in the race, leaving the 100 as her only Olympic possibility. Both runners said after the race that they would meet and decide together. Both said they talked frequently on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Felix said those conversations did not center on whether there would be a runoff, but how to deal with the runoff.

"They were difficult conversations,'' said Felix. "We were both emotional.''

At noon on Sunday there was a more official meeting that took place at a Eugene hotel. Along with Kersee, two representatives of USATF, and agents for both athletes were present. After two hours, a runoff was declared and track has been given an unexpected gift of sorts: A disaster that's become a showcase. But it is not without peril.

The last such match in track and field was a made-for-television 150 race between 1996 Olympic 100 gold medalist Donovan Bailey of Canada and 200-400 gold medalist Michael Johnson of the United States. The idea behind that race was a well-intentioned ploy to attract attention to track and field (and make piles of money for the participants), but it collapsed in disaster when Johnson pulled with an injury. The last truly anticipated showdown came when Johnson and Maurice Greene faced off the in the 200 at the 2000 Olympic Trials in Sacramento, Calif. That time, both athletes pulled up with injuries.

On Sunday, Greene, the 2000 Olympic gold medalist in the 100, said, "I think [the runoff] is great. It gives our sport more attention. People will be talking about this for a long time. There is going to be a lot of pressure on the girls and I think the one that handles it best will win. That will be Allyson.''

But Felix also sounded one, last ominous tone in a serpentine story: "The most important thing is staying healthy,'' she said. "I'm going to warm up and if I feel anything [wrong], I'm going to pull out.''

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a disaster waiting to happen.  It is the only fair way, but the emotional and psychological pressure on these athletes can result in an injury which potentially eliminates one or both from the Olympics.  I hope they both survive injury free.  Best of luck ladies!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a disaster waiting to happen.  It is the only fair way, but the emotional and psychological pressure on these athletes can result in an injury which potentially eliminates one or both from the Olympics.  I hope they both survive injury free.  Best of luck ladies!
Why worry?
Let them stress themselves out and pick up an injury in time for Olympics, that will be one or two less top sprinters from the USA for our KAB to concern herself about!  :beermug:

Offline REC

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
RUN OFF is officially off!! Tarmoh has pulled out of the race!! Stay tuned for more bachannal....I don't believe that this will end here!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tarmoh withdraws from women’s 100m Olympic Team
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »
http://www.usatf.org/News/Tarmoh-withdraws-from-women-s-100m-Olympic-Team.aspx

Tarmoh withdraws from women’s 100m Olympic Team
7/2/2012

EUGENE, Ore. – Jeneba Tarmoh has withdrawn herself from consideration for one of three Olympic Team positions in the women’s 100 meters.

In an email forwarded to USATF President and Chairman Stephanie Hightower at 9:37 a.m. Pacific Time by her agent, Kimberly Holland, Tarmoh said,“I Jeneba Tarmoh have decided to decline my 3rd place position in the 100m dash to Allyson Felix. I understand that with this decision I am no longer running the 100m dash in the Olympic Games and will be an alternate for the event. As an alternate I understand that I will be asked to run if another 100m runner decides not to for personal reasons, and/or on the 4x100m relay.”

At the U.S. Olympic Team Trails – Track & Field, Tarmoh and Felix on June 23 finished in a dead heat for the third and final Olympic Team 100m position, in 11.07 seconds, behind winner Carmelita Jeter and second-place Tianna Madison. In a Sunday afternoon meeting with their coach, managers and USATF officials, the athletes agreed to break the tie via a run-off, which was to be held Monday afternoon in Eugene.

“We are disappointed that Jeneba has changed her mind regarding her position on the Olympic Team,” Hightower said. “We all worked hard to reach a consensus on the tiebreaker, but we know that Allyson, Carmelita and Tianna will represent Team USA well.”

Jill Geer
 Chief Communications Officer
 USA Track & Field
 317-713-4654

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Youtube Channel

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Either she is faint of heart or Bobby Kersee influenced her decision, knowing that Allyson is the main "horse".

If there is some underlying strategy, their camp is probably not sure whether to run Allyson in both the 100 and 200 at this point, or else why would she make the statement about being an alternate in case someone defaults.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Either she is faint of heart or Bobby Kersee influenced her decision, knowing that Allyson is the main "horse".

If there is some underlying strategy, their camp is probably not sure whether to run Allyson in both the 100 and 200 at this point, or else why would she make the statement about being an alternate in case someone defaults.

Nike sponsoring both of dem too... Big dollars in play there. Who de hell is Jeneba Tarboh? (compare to alyson felix)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Nike sponsoring both of dem too... Big dollars in play there. Who de hell is Jeneba Tarboh? (compare to alyson felix)
Btw her name is Tarmoh not Tarboh! She is an up and coming US sprinter who will probably be faster than Felix at the short sprint within the next year.

Also note folks were saying the same thing about Yohan Blake a couple years ago when his name was put besides Usain Bolt's.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:17:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Btw her name is Tarmoh not Tarboh! She is an up and coming US sprinter who will probably be faster than Felix at the short sprint within the next year.

Also note folks were saying the same thing about Yohan Blake a couple years ago when his name was put besides Usain Bolt's.

thanks for de lecture... i know who she is.... understand my point please. however speculative and sensationalist and probably without merit  ;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who de hell is Jeneba Tarboh? (compare to alyson felix)

The girl who put tears in Alyson eyes!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jeneba Tarmoh pulls out of Olympic runoff with Allyson Felix
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
This article bashes Tarmoh seriously for pulling out of the run-off and suggests she should be dropped from the USA Team altogether for shunning competition.

I think writer made a good point!

If Tarmoh believes she is the faster 100m sprinter then why back out of a runoff?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/jeneba-tamroh-pulls-olympic-run-off-allyson-felix-161232616--oly.html

Jeneba Tarmoh pulls out of Olympic runoff with Allyson Felix
By Chris Chase | Fourth-Place Medal

The unprecedented Olympic team runoff between Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh is off.

Tarmoh withdrew from the scheduled two-woman race hours before it was to be aired live in primetime during NBC's coverage of Olympic trials. The women tied for third in last week's 100 meters and needed a runoff to determine who would represent the United States in the upcoming London Olympics.

ESPN reported Tarmoh wanted to concede her spot on Sunday but was told to sleep on the decision by the USA Track and Field officials whose incompetence led to this controversial process. Her agent said Monday that she will not run.

Tarmoh thought she earned the spot immediately after last week's race. A closer review by the photo official determined that the two had actually tied for the final spot on the team with a time of 11.068. Because U.S. track had no contingency plan for such a tie, things quickly delved into chaos. Should there be a runoff? Could it come down to a coin flip? Or would one of the women drop out, thus saving USA Track and Field the embarrassment of getting caught with its number down?

By Monday, it was too late for USATF to save face. And speaking of faces, Tarmoh is cutting off her nose to spite hers.

"She was uncomfortable with the idea of a runoff and a coin toss and she was no longer at peace with the idea," Tarmoh's agent said in a statement.

Tarmoh didn't qualify for the 200, so her only hope to compete in an individual event was to win the runoff. She could still earn a spot on the relay team, though USATF wouldn't be out of line to leave her off the team after her Oregon antics. Why would an Olympic team want someone who shuns competition, for whatever reason?

Being uncomfortable and not at peace with an idea is a reason to give up a possible berth in the Olympics? It's the opposite of the Olympic ideal. Does she hope that her protest will lead a larger one that gets her into the Games? Is she afraid of losing to Felix, so she took the easy way out? Does she think that laying on her sword will make her some sort of track hero?

Remember, Tarmoh: Unless you're Dan O'Brien, nobody remembers anything that happens at Olympic trials. (Remember Butch Reynolds, the most famous Olympic athlete in the summer of 1992? Of course you don't.) Even something as cowardly and futile as withdrawing from a race because you're not "at peace," won't make you remembered. Running in the Olympics: That's the way you build a legacy.

She has no more right to the 100m berth than Al Gore did to Florida after the networks called it for him the first time or that George W. Bush did after they messed up a second time. Just because the race lasts 11 seconds doesn't mean the aftereffects have to also.

Both Tarmoh and Felix were robbed of a clear, easy process. They should never have been put in this position. Had this happened in swimming, they'd have raced the next day for a spot in the Olympics. But track officials bowed to the wishes of Bob Kersee, who coaches both Tarmoh and Felix and wanted to save his runners for the 200, and allowed him to dictate the terms of the runoff. It was a conflict of interest that was made worse by a rudderless USATF.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:20:22 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Video of top US Rival Sprinter Carmelita Jeter's training regime!
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
Video of top US Rival Sprinter Carmelita Jeter's training regime!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/srkP1lJsNro" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/srkP1lJsNro</a>

Carmelita Jeter takes technology in stride with the help of coach John Smith
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tZHk2JGDmyw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tZHk2JGDmyw</a>

I am assuming that our KAB trains just as hard as Jeter and is getting similar techinical guidance so it would be nice to see a video featuring KAB going thru her training regime as well.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:30:53 PM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Some Russian rivals for Semoy and Kai in the 200m. Getting into that final just got  WHOLE LOT HARDER!!

RUSSIAN CHAMPS
22,19 1,0 Aleksandra Fedoriva
22,49 1,0 Natalya Rusakova
22,65 1,0 Elizabeta Savlinis

22,73 1,0 Olga Belkina
22,82 1,0 Yuliya Chermoshanskaya
23,04 1,0 Yekaterina Voronenkova
23,30 1,0 Yelena Kozlova
23,36 1,0 Marina Panteleyeva
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>