April 25, 2024, 01:34:29 PM

Author Topic: Concacaf Champions League Thread.  (Read 111608 times)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody Going W Connection vs Houston Dynamo
« Reply #390 on: August 20, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
Agonising game.  :-\

Agreed extremely frustrating to watch. Easy win thrown away by Connection there. It not going to be that easy in Houston.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: 2013/14 CONCACAF Champions League Thread
« Reply #391 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
Shameful
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
They should force to put the game in south how u expect people to drive that far on a week day in the whole south we can't find a football stadium ......manning was in power for decades what he do

I don't buy the 'location' excuse.  Trinidad is a SMALL island...there is no such thing as a 'far-drive'.  Also, cricket does not seem to have the same problem getting fans to games.  Venues always packed for cricket matches.  There is a market for sports in T&T...however there is just poor marketing of football in T&T.   

Two things: I have a VIP ticket for the game, but we've had a last minute transfer to deal with so by the time I finished around 7pm I couldn't face the journey!
2nd: Cricket tends to be a much longer event so maybe people feel it's better value. Plus, it doesn't matter if you're an hour late. Plus, from what I see, many people aren't even watching the cricket, they're partying!!

Much easier to market cricket. Completely different product.
You get most of the best players. There's a longevity of support.

Pro League - Best players outside TT.
Most ppl don't know who the players are.
WC vs HD not as sexy as TT vs a County team in T-20 or Red Steel vs Talawallahs or whatever the Hell dey name is.

VB

VB

vb --- trust me, bredz --- you can market ANYTHING. 

There's no such thing as 'easier to market cricket'.  I say this in a friendly tone --- that's a poor excuse.   :beermug:

Bro, football is no longer in the soul of TT, trust me. I have seen DF, Malvern and Maple draw more crowd for their Concacaf games long ago than these current teams. Everybody just knew the clubs schedule. The people not into football. POS just had about 20 something murders in the past month.

The people who use to frequent the football grounds were East POS and Woodbrook/St. James/Cocorite. East POS in turmoil. They have no money. Football is not going to get whatever little money. The 'rich" people in the West don't indentify with nothing in East POS. They have all the money and would not sponsor a club from that area or form their own club in their area.

There not one proper club from East POS. Rangers does rep. their lil enclave up by St. Anns. They don't consider themselves an East POS team. Why can't they reach out to Belmont/LaCour Harp/Gonzales/St. Barbs. The passion for the pro-game not there.
I know a Belmont team who have been searching for a sponsor, SFN if anyone interested in assisting :salute:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »
just got home from the game
not much to write about really...flat
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
Was at the game...disappointing performance and disappointing turn-out...WConnection should have won 2-0...same striker threw away a sitter, then then an easy 1 on 1 with the keeper, wouldn't want to be him in that dressing room tonight, nuff cuss will pass...agree not enough urgency showed by players...a couple players impressed me though, Connection #6 and #3...also peeps who went COVERED for $150 you got a chit-sheet (like in all-inclusive) for 2 doubles, a (mini)BakenShark, Corn Soup, 2 Shandi or Beer and a bottle water... so I was happy, didn't have to worry about dinner afterwards lol

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
Was at the game...disappointing performance and disappointing turn-out...WConnection should have won 2-0...same striker threw away a sitter, then then an easy 1 on 1 with the keeper, wouldn't want to be him in that dressing room tonight, nuff cuss will pass...agree not enough urgency showed by players...a couple players impressed me though, Connection #6 and #3...also peeps who went COVERED for $150 you got a chit-sheet (like in all-inclusive) for 2 doubles, a (mini)BakenShark, Corn Soup, 2 Shandi or Beer and a bottle water... so I was happy, didn't have to worry about dinner afterwards lol

would have been my highlight for de night  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

would have been my highlight for de night  :beermug:
It would have been except for some nice "Scenery" in the stands :)

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 20, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
For those who were wondering why the game was played at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Connection's first choice venue was Mannie Ramjohn but we all know what's happening there, the next choice was Ato but Concacaf failed it because of the lights, as a matter of fact Hasely Crawford barely passed Concacaf's inspection and Connection  was almost without a venue for this game. Unless something changes rapidly both Cali & Connection will have to play their remaining home games at HCS and that will depend on whether Concacaf allows it..
A lot of us are quick to condemn but we are not aware of all the behind the scene happenings which can be very disconcerting.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 20, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »
For those who were wondering why the game was played at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Connection's first choice venue was Mannie Ramjohn but we all know what's happening there, the next choice was Ato but Concacaf failed it because of the lights, as a matter of fact Hasely Crawford barely passed Concacaf's inspection and Connection  was almost without a venue for this game. Unless something changes rapidly both Cali & Connection will have to play their remaining home games at HCS and that will depend on whether Concacaf allows it..
A lot of us are quick to condemn but we are not aware of all the behind the scene happenings which can be very disconcerting.

Bro, We knew about the stadium unavailabilty. We eh quick to condemn. We have been waiting patiently. What we asking is why these stadiums are is such dire shape ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:44:14 PM by Deeks »

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 20, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »
So why are some people still questioning why the game was not played at Ato, if they knew about the unavailability & bro I too want to know what is happening with the Stadiums and we have to get serious or else soon football will be dead. In fact Concacaf may soon blank us as our facilities are not up to par and we will be reduced to watching games online or on tv, maybe then & only then we will step up.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #400 on: August 21, 2013, 02:01:05 AM »
Dynamo, W Connection play to draw.
concacaf.com.

The Houston Dynamo and host DIRECTV W Connection shared the points, playing to a scoreless draw in a CONCACAF Champions League Group 1 match at Hasely Crawford Stadium on Tuesday.

W Connection, which lost its Group Stage opener, 3-1, on the road to Panama’s Arabe Unido, had the first dangerous scoring opportunity in the 16th minute, but a sliding Mirko Delia couldn’t latch onto a low cross toward the back post by Kurt Frederick.

Houston, which was playing its Group Stage opener, nearly went into halftime with a lead.  Brian Ching played a nice one-touch pass to Cam Weaver, freeing the forward into the box. Weaver took a touch, but then fired his attempt well over the bar from 15 meters in the 37th minute.

The Dynamo could not turn its second-half possession into concrete chances on goal.  In the 59th minute, Alexander Lopez found space outside the box, but his low shot bounced wide of the right post.

Three minutes later, Houston had its first dangerous set piece opportunity.  Driver’s shot from 24 meters eluded the four-man wall and went directly into the arms of W Connection goalkeeper Alejandro Figueroa.

Giles Barnes, who scored a brace in a 3-1 victory over the Seattle Sounders on the weekend, entered the match in the 67th minute as a substitute for Ching. The English forward, however, wasn’t able to duplicate his domestic magic.

In the 71st minute, Houston nearly capitalized off a Driver corner kick, but after the ball was headed down by Weaver in the box, Jason Johnson’s shot from 16 meters was blocked in front of the goal.

One minute later, Kyle Benjamin had a golden opportunity to score in his second consecutive CONCACAF Champions League match, staring at an open net on a 2-on-0 break. The 18-year-old’s first-time attempt from four meters went off the outside netting.

Benjamin had another great chance in the 84th minute, but he put his lob from inside the box off the crossbar before falling to the grass suffering from leg cramps.

Weaver put a header on frame in the third minute of second-half stoppage time that was momentarily bobbled by Figueroa, who quickly recovered to end the tense scoreless draw.

Houston, which booked its fourth CONCACAF Champions League berth by reaching the MLS Cup final for a second straight year, returns to Champions League play next Tuesday when it hosts Arabe Unido at BBVA Compass Stadium. W Connection doesn’t play its next Group 1 match until September 19 against visiting Arabe Undio.

Teams

W Connection: - 21.Alejandro Figueroa, 24.Joao Ananias, 2.Kurt Frederick, 10.Joevin Jones (capt) (7.Silvio Spann 60th - Yellow 75), 25.Christian Viveros, 15.Mekeil Williams, 14.Hachim Arcia (31.Jerrel Britto 46th), 65.Neil Benjamin, 6.Celio da Silva Santos, 3.Gerard Williams, 16.Mirko Delia (9.Andrei Pacheco 76th).

Coach: - Stuart Charles Fevrier.

Houston Dynamo: - 1.Tally Hall, 6.Mike Chabala, 8.Kofi Sarkodie, 4.Jermaine Taylor, 2.Eric Brunner, 5.Warren Creavalle, 20.Andrew Driver (Yellow 41), 10.Alexander López (16.Adam Moffat 85th), 25.Brian Ching (capt) (23.Giles Barnes 66th), 14.Jason Johnson (22.Brian Ownby 85th), Cam Weaver.

Coach: - Dominic Kinnear.

Video: - W Connection vs Houston Dynamo Highlights

Referee: - Marco Antonio Rodríguez.

Venue: - Hasley Crawford Stadium.

Standings

P  W  D  L  F  A  Pts
Arabe Unido  1  1  0  0  3  1  3
Houston Dynamo  1  0  1  0  0  0  1
W Connection  2  0  1  1  3  1  1

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:58:38 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 21, 2013, 03:50:00 AM »
That Concacaf report make it seem like the Dynamo dominated the game which was far from the truth. They had spells where they dominated possession but generally did absolutley nothing with it. Connection had by far the more clearcut and dangerous chances as well as some truely wasteful efforts, almost all the dynamo chances were speculative attempts or half chances. after about 25 mins I genuinely did not think huston had a hope of scoring and that is a first for me watching a game between US and T&T sides.

I cannot remember seeing a game between T&T and US teams where the local keeper was so untroubled. Though in all honesty for the vast majority of the game both teams played like it wasn't worth the effort.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:52:02 AM by Rodney »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 21, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/97XJ8gmpGvs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/97XJ8gmpGvs</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 21, 2013, 08:48:10 AM »
Ummmm, after Flex beseeched us during the Gold Cup to keep it positive for the team, I've been trying to keep it positive about everything...BUT, that miss? Waaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

Now ah know missing and throwing away is part of the game eh, but damn yo, at home with ah empty goal?? C'mon man!!!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Ummmm, after Flex beseeched us during the Gold Cup to keep it positive for the team, I've been trying to keep it positive about everything...BUT, that miss? Waaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

Now ah know missing and throwing away is part of the game eh, but damn yo, at home with ah empty goal?? C'mon man!!!!!

the good news is the player just turn 19 years old, and still has the wherewithal to find those spaces against a top MLS team.

if we lucky he could be the next stern john!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »
the good news is the player just turn 19 years old, and still has the wherewithal to find those spaces against a top MLS team.

At 19, Stern had already scored six goals for de national senior team, including a hat-trick.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #406 on: August 21, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

At 19, Stern had already scored six goals for de national senior team, including a hat-trick.

At at 16 Yorke had signed for Aston Villa and Silvio went to Italy at 17.

;D

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »

;D

Flex --- Good points...but Yorke went to Aston Villa around the end of 1989 when he was already 18 (not 16). 
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:09 PM »

Positive but wishful thinking!!!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #409 on: August 22, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »

;D

Flex --- Good points...but Yorke went to Aston Villa around the end of 1989 when he was already 18 (not 16). 

No, he was 17. turned 18 whilst at Villa.

Btw my sister attended his 21st birthday, she say enough Villa and Arsenal men was there. He and Rocastle was padnahs.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 22, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »

;D

Btw my sister attended his 21st birthday, she say enough Villa and Arsenal men was there. He and Rocastle was padnahs.

VB

vb --- that's kinda' strange, since Dwight Yorke was born on November 3rd 1971...and he joined Aston Villa after the November 19th 1989 T&T match vs the USA, thereby making him 18 years old.  Additionally, he actually debuted for Aston Villa on March 24th 1990 in a match against Crystal Palace while he was still 18 (of course turning 19 on November 3rd later that year).

His 21st Birthday that your sister attended would've been on November 3rd 1992 (a Tuesday...but most likely the party must've been on Sunday November 1st or Saturday October 31st). 

Anyway, he was already 18 when he joined Aston Villa. 

You're welcome.   ;D    :beermug:
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
there is only ONE Stern John

LEGEND 14

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
Dwight Yorke --- Aston Villa:  December 1989 (12/1989);  18 years old.   :beermug:

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/senior-team-news/goalscorers.html?view=playerprofile&id=472

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 29, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
Isn't the Cali game on now?

No score?

Links in Istanbul getting blocked.  :)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 29, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »

;D

VB

vb --- that's kinda' strange, since Dwight Yorke was born on November 3rd 1971...and he joined Aston Villa after the November 19th 1989 T&T match vs the USA, thereby making him 18 years old.  Additionally, he actually debuted for Aston Villa on March 24th 1990 in a match against Crystal Palace while he was still 18 (of course turning 19 on November 3rd later that year).

His 21st Birthday that your sister attended would've been on November 3rd 1992 (a Tuesday...but most likely the party must've been on Sunday November 1st or Saturday October 31st). 

Anyway, he was already 18 when he joined Aston Villa. 

You're welcome.   ;D    :beermug:

If you talking about when he signed the contract. Yes he was 18.

But trial and offer took place before his 18th birthday.
In fact the contract took about a week to suss out because they sent down a Tobago lawyer to iron out the details of the contract and that took a while.

You are welcome.  ;D  :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:49:12 AM by vb »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
Cali down 1-0 zip. Terrible defending!

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
Fast paced game. Cali not playing badly, but keep breaking down in the final 3rd. Nice brazz section in the stands.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »
I tune to Univision, see 2 teams playing. I watch a fella jogging back in defense, I say - that look like a Trini team. Sigh...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
Fast paced game. Cali not playing badly, but keep breaking down in the final 3rd. Nice brazz section in the stands.

I think Cali looking better than they are becz Comun. decide to defend deep after going one up.

Yes, their final pass, touch is letting them down.

VB

1]; } ?>