May 01, 2024, 05:18:06 AM

Author Topic: Concacaf Champions League Thread.  (Read 112298 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015/16 Concacaf Champions League Thread.
« Reply #600 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
10 hrs? Was that really unavoidable?

That is a question for management.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 05, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
Connection had a very long, arduous journey including a 10 hour bus ride. Also they lost several key players through injury and were forced to play players like Frederick out of position.

The main issue however is that this is their first competitive game of the season while Santos are in mid season. The Pro League are looking at how to change the Pro League season so that our teams are also in season for the Champions League. Problem is that it would mean playing the CFU in pre season. The risk is that our clubs may not even reach the Champions League in that scenario. Its not really fair that we have to play a qualifying tournament while other nations gain straight entry to the Champions League. However we time our league, we are still disadvantaged. 

10 hours?  Was that really unavoidable?

Apparently there were no flights. They also had to travel for 24 hours to reach Mexico City as there are no direct flights from PoS. I can confirm that Central have also had major problems with travel including overnight stops. LA Galaxy, on the other hand, will be chartering a plane to fly direct to PoS!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 05, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »
Connection had a very long, arduous journey including a 10 hour bus ride. Also they lost several key players through injury and were forced to play players like Frederick out of position.

The main issue however is that this is their first competitive game of the season while Santos are in mid season. The Pro League are looking at how to change the Pro League season so that our teams are also in season for the Champions League. Problem is that it would mean playing the CFU in pre season. The risk is that our clubs may not even reach the Champions League in that scenario. Its not really fair that we have to play a qualifying tournament while other nations gain straight entry to the Champions League. However we time our league, we are still disadvantaged. 

So FS why is playing CFU in preseason a problem?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 05, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »

In the abstract, yes. Certainly, ground transport (following a flight into Monterrey) could have been reduced to travel time of about 3.5 hours. That would have shaved 7-8 hours off what occurred. Monterrey is a well-serviced airport.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:47 PM »

So FS why is playing CFU in preseason a problem?

Agreed, I would rather face CFU in preseason than Concacaf teams in pre season. No brainer.

If the league runs from March-December wouldn't the CFU qualifiers be between that time frame anyway?

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »

Apparently there were no flights. They also had to travel for 24 hours to reach Mexico City as there are no direct flights from PoS. I can confirm that Central have also had major problems with travel including overnight stops. LA Galaxy, on the other hand, will be chartering a plane to fly direct to PoS!

I take it CONCACAF are the ones organizing flights for teams etc? How is it LA Galaxy have easier travel arrangements ? Should it not be similar flights?

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #606 on: August 05, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »
4-0? I expected that. You can come up with all the excuses you need but that score doesn't change. Bottom line is WConnection cannot compete and soon to be realized that neither can Central FC. The pro league is weak. These two organizations are weak. These two teams are unprepared and not properly coached and you are asking them to do what?
You got jokes......
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »

I take it CONCACAF are the ones organizing flights for teams etc? How is it LA Galaxy have easier travel arrangements ? Should it not be similar flights?

FS just said that they chartered their own plane. LA is a billionaires club.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #608 on: August 05, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »
W Connection Press Release.

Post match comments provided by Technical Director and Head Coach of DIRECTV W Connection FC following the team’s 4-0 defeat against Club Santos Laguna of Mexico. Comments have also been provided by goalkeeper Julani Archibald and Keston Julien who, at 16 years old made his Champions League debut.

STUART CHARLES FEVRIER

“Tonight’s game against Santos was a loss that I can take some positives from, and also some parts were disappointing for me as Coach of the team. I thought that we could have done much better, we conceded two soft goals in the second half – the second and third goal, mistakes we shouldn’t have made and I think that’s where the game really slipped away from us. In the first half, although Santos had more possession, I thought tactically we dealt with their rotation good and we came back into the second half feeling that we had a chance to at least equalize but that wasn’t to be because of the two goals in the second half and that’s where the game went away from us.

In terms of the positives, most of the players were young players, the average age of the team is 21 years old. We had players as young as sixteen years old playing today which augers well for the future for us, but even with this group of young players, I still felt we could have done better, but I believe that the performance will go a long way in helping us to believe more in ourselves. We now have to put this game behind us and look forward to our next game in Costa Rica on the 20th against versus Saprissa. We intend to make a very professional preparation for that game and we intend definitely to try and improve on our results.”

JULANI ARCHIBALD

"It was a very tough game playing against the 2014/2015 Mexican Champions and a learning experience for us. We have new players and a young squad this season...we have three more games and a training camp where we can continue to prepare and get it right for August 20th against the Costa Rican Champions. It won't be an easy task but we have to move on from this game and keep going as a team."

KESTON JULIEN

On making his Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League debut: "It was a good experience for me and I hope to learn from it, and come out in our next game in Costa Rica and perform better...their team played quick and compact and weren't really losing the ball..."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 06, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 06, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Central FC hits big time, looks for result at LA
« Reply #611 on: August 06, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
Central FC hits big time, looks for result at LA
CONCACAF.com

Sean de Silva’s eyes widened when he saw the draw for the 2015/16 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, especially when checking out who Central FC’s first opponent in Group D – the LA Galaxy.

It wasn’t fear that the 25-year-old was feeling.

“To be honest I was more excited than anything,” said the midfielder. “It’s a huge opportunity for each and every one of us on the team to showcase ourselves as well as getting a chance to play against some of the best players to ever play the game such as [Steven] Gerrard and [Robbie] Keane and even locally-based players like Gyasi Zardes, who is fantastic and [Omar] Gonzalez.”

That first meeting will take place at the StubHub on Thursday. Yes, Trinidad & Tobago’s Central FC is going to Hollywood, where they will look to thrive in the role of underdog.

“It’s always good being the underdog where you don’t have the pressure of how this should be a guaranteed win or everybody sees this as a win,” expressed de Silva, who played college soccer in the United States at the College of Charleston. “I think we definitely could go there, put out a good performance and, at the end of the day, get a good result. The most important thing is to get a good result in LA.”

While the LA Galaxy is a charter member of Major League Soccer, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary, Central FC has only been in existence for three years. And yet, the club has already captured a TT Pro League title (2014/15) and a CFU Club Championship crown (2015).

Central FC defeated local-rival DirecTV W Connection, 2-1, in the regional final, which de Silva said speaks to the strength of Trinidadian soccer.

“For two Trinidadian teams to come out on top in the Caribbean Cup, it definitely shows we’re making that leap up,” he stressed. “We just need to continue what we’re doing. There’s no telling where Trinidad & Tobago can go.”

De Silva said the Sharks’ goal is to advance out of the group stage, which will not be an easy task in a group that consists of an LA Galaxy team that could be considered a favorite to win the entire competition and Guatemala’s Comunicaciones, which is competing in the SCCL for the fifth time.

The first step will be to avoid being star-struck against the Galaxy.

“We can’t step out on the pitch and already be afraid or a step behind thinking ‘oh wow, we’re playing against Gerrard or Keane,’” finished de Silva. “Even though they are legends when we go out there we need to go out there and try to get our jobs done.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 06, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Which broadcasters covering dis game?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 06, 2015, 07:56:11 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 06, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
Game just about to start. They wear ing up. The first stream working for me.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
Thx!

Hmmm bwoy, Central & LA? Or the Rep candidate debate? :)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
1-1.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Well, I think it's confirmed ... Zardes takes Jack in a sprint.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 06, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »
LA 2 vs Central 1

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 06, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
Can't keep track of how many "adventures" Jan has gone on. This game is poised for more ... given the ocean between the back line and Jan.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 06, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
But what going on with this high high line and no press on the ball
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 06, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »
De Coachman is clue-less...the #8 is ineffective with the ball and worthless without it...there is no defensive midfield ...no sweeper..and the wing-backs are invisible...

The keeper...not fit!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 06, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »
Can't keep track of how many "adventures" Jan has gone on. This game is poised for more ... given the ocean between the back line and Jan.
Same thing I saying. For the 2nd goal, I thought he should've been closer to the top of the box instead of back on his line. If he had that position he could've got to the through pass and possibly intercepted it.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »
LA Galaxy drawing the back line forward...once they forwArd they have their attackers poised and ready for that through ball...CFC back line eating up like hot hops...also the ball recovery is very poor....seems like they can't keep up with the pace...and they not holding possession at all. Seems like they uncomfortable...hopefully they give a good showing of themselves come second half.

That white man on de team...he trying to make things happen and seem most energetic...he's a trini? Me mum the 2nd 😁....seems like a hard worker.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:29:03 PM by trini_stallion »
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
If the defence playin high..what de keeper doin on line? Dat's madness...

Russel has no clue...none..what is his formation? what is the team shape?...the only thing I see them tryin to do is press ...but de fitness not there..

Russel has no clue!

Ross Russel is clueless....best to jest let Saunders take over oui....Ross Russel ...hmn....no clue

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 06, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »
De first man to come off fuh me is de Spanish man...I would send dat man back from whence he came...he is not worth $100TT a game...de man sorf..sorf..sorf...plus he SLOW!

Just bring a next hard man in de midfield fuh him and stop losin de damn ball in de midfield!

Fire Ross now..and let Dale Saunders and de physio run tings fuh de second half.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 06, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »
That white man on de team...he trying to make things happen and seem most energetic...he's a trini? Me mum the 2nd 😁....seems like a hard worker

Yes, that is Sean de Silva, a born and bred Trini. Went to St. Mary's. Represented T&T at U-17, U-20, U-23, and senior level. Played at the U-17 and U-20 World Cups.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 06, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
That white man on de team...he trying to make things happen and seem most energetic...he's a trini? Me mum the 2nd 😁....seems like a hard worker

Yes, that is Sean de Silva, a born and bred Trini. Went to St. Mary's. Represented T&T at U-17, U-20, U-23, and senior level. Played at the U-17 and U-20 World Cups.

Senior level yuh say! He was in a preliminary squad not so?
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 06, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »

Senior level yuh say! He was in a preliminary squad not so?
Yes he was, but he has 3 caps. He has played against Panama, Finland, and Jordan.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #629 on: August 06, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

So far, him and Guerra have played the best..

1]; } ?>