March 29, 2024, 05:45:06 AM

Author Topic: SHAQ IN TNT  (Read 10623 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SHAQ IN TNT
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
Some Hoop of Dreams programme 4 d Beetham. cnc3 have it on now.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: SHAQ IN TNT
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Turns channel, sees kamla face, changes channel.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
i just saw the pics on fb

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
Shaq pick up kamla like a doll and put she dunk hahahahaha.
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
hope de security detail on point
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
Turns channel, sees kamla face, changes channel.

Exactly channel surfin c Kamla change channel. Get BB Shaq in TNT so return 2 channel I was good till Jack rch and talk bout during CHOGOM a govt build wall 2 block out Beetham. I EH C SHAQ YET.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/SHAQ__SURPRISE-160978675.html

SHAQ SURPRISE
Govt teams up with iconic US basketball star in crime fight …PM launches $1m first prize for 'Hoop of Life' competition
By Kim Boodram

A $1 million prize for the best basketball team and towering former NBA player Dr Shaquille O'Neal were presented by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday as she unveiled a plan to tackle crime with sport among the nation's young people.

Persad-Bissessar launched "Hoop of Life—The Sweat 2012" at Beetham Gardens yesterday, with O'Neal as a surprise guest and the face of the competition.

Word spread quickly in the community, and before long, residents, many of them young men, had surged onto the basketball court on 23rd Street to catch a glimpse of the basketball legend.

Several of them brought along basketballs that they held up during the ceremony where O'Neal spoke briefly about his hope for communities like Hell Yard, Beetham, which the prime minister has unofficially renamed "Hope Yard".

He also referred to the prime minister as "a good woman".

"Hoop of Life", which was also launched in Marabella yesterday, will pit community basketball groups in a tackle to the finish for a first prize of $1 million.

The programme is a project of the Ministry of National Security, now presided over by Jack Warner and formerly headed by Brigadier John Sandy. Several other State agencies, including the National Infrastructure Development Company (Nidco), were also part of the planning.

Lamenting the consistent violence in areas like Beetham, Persad-Bissessar said:"The blood-letting must stop."

Adopting a term that became popular during the height of O'Neal's career on the court, Persad-Bissessar said the government was launching a "Shaq attack" on crime and juvenile delinquency.

The term "the sweat" came out of the local parlance for sport in the evening, Persad-Bissessar said, where people would often say they were "going for a sweat".

"I have two hoops in my yard at home, not one but two," Persad-Bissessar said, "It is a great way to keep fit."

Yesterday's ceremony was not without its moments, with one resident becoming emotional when the name "Hell Yard" was used and interrupted the proceedings to say so.

The female resident had to be restrained when she objected to the name during greetings by young resident Kareem Marcelle.

The woman said she did not see her community as being a "hellyard" but as being a "Heaven's Yard".

The interruption did not mar the event, with the MC apologising and saying the woman was very passionate in her love for her community.

But her words were not lost on O'Neal, who later said he liked the name "Heaven's yard".

O'Neal said his childhood neighbourhood was far worse than what he saw around him yesterday, calling the Beetham Gardens settlement "luxury", by comparison.

The former basketballer appealed to the young people of the community to be steadfast in their self-belief, the trait he said which led him to success.

"I was told I wasn't smart," said O'Neal, who graduated earlier this year from Barry University in the US with a PhD in organisational learning and leadership.

"I was told I can't play. But I believed in myself."

He also asked parents to go easy on their children when they are spending time playing sports. "Let them play," he said.

O'Neal said he had always wanted to visit Trinidad and Tobago and would return for Carnival.

The Hoop of Life competition, details for which will be announced by Sport Minister Anil Roberts at a later date, boasts a first prize of $1 million, a second prize of $500,000 and a third prize of $250,000.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:20:06 AM by Flex »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »
Jack launches ‘Shaq Attack’ in Beetham
...Government brings basketball competition to win delinquent youth
By Anika Gumbs-Sandiford (Guardian).

Ten million dollars—that is the estimated cost attached to the new social programme that has been launched by the Ministry of National Security geared at deterring delinquent youths from a life of crime. The initiative is the latest move by Minister of National Security Jack Warner who is bent on pulling out all the stops to take back T&T from the criminals.

Warner launched a “Shaq Attack” in Beetham yesterday as National Basketball Association (NBA) legend Dr Shaquille O’Neal was on hand to launch the Hoop of Life initiative. The NBA star was flown into T&T for the launch of the initiative, leaving many stunned.

Entitled the Hoop of Life, the programme was unveiled by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar at a key distribution ceremony held by the Housing Development Corporation at Beetham Gardens to residents whose homes were gutted by fire following an arson attack in Trou Macaque last year. Partnering in the joint venture are—Ministry of Housing, Land and Marine Affairs, Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs and National Infrastructure Development Company.

Reliable sources told Sunday Guardian that while the “final touches” have not yet been put on the programme, the project is estimated to cost $10 million. Sunday Guardian was also informed that the programme forms only part of Warner’s new crime plan that is expected to be rolled out within the next two weeks. Up for grabs is the $1 million dollar first prize for the community which shoots the best basketball hoops.

Second place winners would also be handsomely rewarded as they walk away with $500,000, while the team that places third will receive $250,000. A stipend would also be paid to all team members to ensure that travelling and other expenses are met, although certain restrictions apply.

Among them is that players qualifying for the basketball tournament are not allowed to engage in any criminal activities. Failure to adhere would lead to the entire team being disqualified. In addition, team members must reside in the community in which they are competing. Warner yesterday urged the residents to take advantage of the opportunity and turn around their lives.

In delivering the feature address Persad-Bissessar said the issue of crime was a troubling one and the onus was on the Government to foster better communities. Insisting that the time had come to steer the nation’s youth on the right path, Persad-Bissessar said the launch of the programme was one of the initiatives that would be used as a deterrent.

Referring to the initiative as a “Shaq Attack,” Persad-Bissessar said, “We have to find a way to shift consciousness of our youth and to get communities behind them. The issue of crime troubles all of us in our land. The HDC has been doing a great job in creating housing communities and employment.

Whenever these initiatives are conducted we can trace a decline in crime and juvenile delinquency. It is time for us to make a prudent investment in key areas because we are losing too much of our young people to a life of crime.”

Addressing the residents, O’Neal urged them to believe in themselves. Saying that he too had come from a humble beginning, O’Neal said he proved to his detractors that he could make it. “They said I could not get my doctorate—I graduated recently. They said I could not play basketball and I showed them differently. To make it you must believe in yourself,” O’Neal said.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, centre, greets American NBA legend Dr Shaquille O’Neal at the launch of Hoop of Life initiative at Beetham Gardens, yesterday. Looking on is National Security Minister Jack Warner. Photo: Brian Ng Fatt

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
shaq was on the train line in marabella and all yesterday.  look at ting, i know dem fellas must be was amazed oui

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:12:35 AM »
So since Jack was banned from Football, he goin' an' pick up basketball now?

:yellowcard:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:51:24 AM »
Jack’s Shaq-attack inspires youth; broken hearts to follow.
Wired868

National Security Minister Jack Warner, with typical pizzazz, yesterday unveiled his first crime fighting planning with a little help from seven foot one ex-NBA star Shaquille O’Neal.

O’Neal and PM Kamla Persad-Bissessar launched the “Hoops of Life” competition in the Beetham Gardens, which will pay out $1.75 million in prize money and should easily top $2 million when stipends to participating teams and administrative costs are factored. It is meant to encourage star struck youths to leave crime behind and throw their efforts into sport.

Read More:

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
Am sorry, when I saw the pic I had to do it  :rotfl: (forgive the shoddy photoshopping)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: SHAQ IN TNT
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 04:55:13 AM »
Youtube Channel

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:02:35 AM »
Arhmm..

I saw an article yesterday with Brian Manning thoughts.

He said its a good idea etc.

BUT......if this would call players status as amateurs into question as it relates to scholarships etc.

Den I hearing apparently the players who play in league etc kinda sour.

So....any official pronouncements after dis? Or dey focusing on the movie alone for now?

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »
Roberts dismisses US$1M for Shaq

By SEAN DOUGLAS

SPORTS Minister Anil Roberts yesterday dismissed speculation that retired American basketball superstar Shaquille O’Neal may have netted as much as US$1 million for his brief visit to Trinidad on the weekend to launch government’s anti-crime initiative, Hoops of Life Programme.

An agent for the US’ National Basketball Association (NBA), who spoke to Newsday on the basis of anonymity, said stars of O’Neal’s stature could easily command a US$1 million fee for bookings such as last Saturday’s visit to Trinidad.

But Roberts said this estimate was “ridiculous” and such a sum could be more realistic for NBA star who is still playing and is of the status of someone like NBA Finals MVP, Lebron James of the Miami Heat.

Roberts suggested a retired NBA star such as O’Neal could command a fee of around TT$600,000 to TT$1 million. He said more details could be forthcoming at a news briefing on the Hoops of Life project tomorrow at the Ministry of National Security.

Internet-based firms offering bookings of celebrities for US-based events quote a more modest fee for O’Neal, with one firm Gold Medal Greats listing O’Neal’s fee as US$100,000-plus.

Roberts said that whatever O’Neal’s fee was, it was money well spent as O’Neal is an inspiration to many.

He said O’Neal’s story of rising from poverty to become an NBA star with championship winning teams LA Lakers and the Miami Heat and then complete a PhD degree in education, is priceless. Roberts contrasted such a well-spent sum with the $55 million wasted by the former PNM regime for the derelict ferry, MV Su.

Roberts said the Hoops of Life programme would be run under his Ministry’s “Life Sports” programme, which aims to get youngsters aged 16 to 25 involved in various sports so as to build self-discipline, punctuality and work ethic.

They then graduate from this programme into other pro-grammes run by the Ministry of Tertiary Education in which they can get qualified in areas such as sports instructors or massage therapists, he said.

The Hoops of Life Programme would also build community spirit, through its series of sports events run by the Ministries of Sport, Housing and National Security. He hoped new communities would be built around sport.
spacer

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
nice I like this.. in 2 years or so this woman has done more for the country than PNM did in 3 .. four Janams... good Going PM.. I like to see you bunning di eyes when yu dey pon TV.. I like it..
I guess di PM does bun dey eys and Warner does bunn dey Bamsey....... a wonder what bunn dem when sugar aloes was serenading di pm....
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
nice I like this.. in 2 years or so this woman has done more for the country than PNM did in 3 .. four Janams... good Going PM.. I like to see you bunning di eyes when yu dey pon TV.. I like it..
I guess di PM does bun dey eys and Warner does bunn dey Bamsey....... a wonder what bunn dem when sugar aloes was serenading di pm....
war

U ARE A FUUCKING IDIOT
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Jack__Shaq_s_visit_didn_t_cost_the_State_a_cent___-161394995.html

NATIONAL Security Minister Jack Warner yesterday said while basketball star Shaquille O'Neal's visit did not cost the State "a cent", the entire Hoop of Life initiative will cost the Government $12 million.

Warner, speaking at a press conference yesterday at the Ministry of National Security office at Temple Court, Abercromby Street, Port of Spain, yesterday said it was "private companies" that foot the bill for the former NBA superstar's one-day visit last Saturday.

Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, Sport Minister Anil Roberts and Minister in the Ministry of National Security, Collin Partap also attended the media conference.

When pressed for further information on which private companies sponsored the event, Warner would only say, "I think Dr Moonilal did say that private sponsors brought him here and that's what private means".

This though is in direct contradiction to what Warner said on Sunday, when he was quoted as saying that bill for O'Neal's visit would be paid by two Government Ministries; his and the Ministry of Housing.

The Hoop of Life project, a community basketball competition, seeks to create more interaction among young people in distressed communities. It is being used as part of the crime-fighting initiative by Warner.

Warner said though the first prize was $1 million, half of it would be given to a community outreach project chosen by the winning team. The other half will be dispensed in equal tranches over a six month period.

"And if in any part of that six-month period they are charged by the police, they lose the payment," Warner said.

Warner said the programme involved 1,300 participants and another 286 people for administration, each earning a $250 stipend.

"Several key benefits can be achieved from this investment, so to speak," he said, adding that basketball was simply a tool to create healthy interactions between communities.

"This programme that we selected 58-60 communities to erect basketball courts and provide nets and hoops and so on and give those teams uniforms and stipends," he said.

Warner compared the cost for the competition to one under the People's National Movement plan for the just the Morvant /Laventille area, which was then budgeted for $13.8 million, but would only have benefitted that specific community.

"Why weren't people asking questions then? I know why they concerned, because they feel that anything this Government does must be attacked vehemently and criticised," he said.

Warner said the critics were all from an "age gone by" and not from the youths that were participating.

"I have not heard one young person oppose this programme, but I have heard people 60, 70 and 80, people in walking sticks, criticising this programme," he said.

"Where are the young people, ask them what they think," he said.

With regards to O'Neal's participation in the Hoops of Life programme, both Warner and Roberts defended using a foreign celebrity over a local one. Roberts said local celebrities were already doing their part to help motivating the nations youths and O'Neal's biography was similar to the youths in the hotspot areas chosen for the launch of the programme —Beetham Gardens, Port of Spain and the Old Train Line, Marabella.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 01:11:55 AM »
and it look like sey lefty  tun tun does bun she  when this  Indian chat...
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 07:45:38 AM »
and it look like sey lefty  tun tun does bun she  when this  Indian chat...
war
nope.......jus cyah stand dotish people of all races shapes and sizes......and does feel d need to tell dem....ah guess u is jus ah special kinda high grade ten piece dotish ???  :-\ doh study it :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »

I NOW SEE DIS.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

DAT WENT DIRECTLY TO MY FB FEED. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>