April 19, 2024, 10:26:20 PM

Author Topic: Another example of bad decisions by our NAAA negatively affecting our athletes!  (Read 864 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
http://www.trackalerts.com/index.php/news/lead-stories/7276-ayanna-alexander-regrets-poor-decisions-at-t-t-trials

Ayanna Alexander regrets poor decisions at T&T Trials
Written by By Shayne Cooper, shaynecooper1@gmail.com
Created on Monday, 02 July 2012 21:36

Ayanna Alexander is Trinidad and Tobago's premiere triple jumper and the national record holder in the event with a mark of 14.15m. It is no surprise that the 2010 Commonwealth silver medalist in the event will be representing the twin island at this year's London Olympics. Alexander showed consistent progress over the last Olympiad improving from her 13.78m best back in 2008 all the way to a 14.15m distance achieved at the Quantum Classic in Port- Of- Spain, Trinidad.

Already jumping the Olympic B- standard four times this year, Ayanna had nothing else to prove but with her eyes set on London, Alexander approached the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Trials physically, mentally and emotionally prepared to better her 2012 season best. However this will not be the case as poor event preparation and officiating will put a stop to Alexander's fast spinning wheel.

"All month I prepped myself with mental imagery to jump at the pit in front of the covered stands where the crowd is," stated Alexander, "but when we came out the tunnel and the officials started taking us (the competitors) to the other side I was confused. It totally threw me off." It was total inconsideration for the female triple jumpers to be taken to the far side of the stadium where the stands were empty. Athletes thrive on the support and energy from the crowd, it aids in the release of adrenaline and rise in confidence that makes the individual go above and beyond. There was no reason that the male jumping events be competed in front the covered stands but the women on the southern side of the facility.

Looking past that issue, Alexander regrouped and refocused because she knew she had a competition to win and a mark to defeat. Then she realized there was no wind gauge. "How am I supposed to ratify a mark, especially with the IAAF and any NOC, without proper rules and guidelines? There was no wind gauge. How can they put on a national meet with no wind gauge?" complained Alexander. When she asked the Triple Jump official about the wind gauge, he had no answers for her and told her to go locate the meet director. With a straight face from a disappointing answer, Ayanna turned and ran across the field and up to the press box to request a wind gauge and a technical official that can help resolve the issues.

"My event is about to start and all the official can tell me is to go locate the meet director, there was no effort on his part to assist the athlete and that is a problem," claimed Alexander. A problem indeed, as the NAAA boast efficiency and professionalism when it comes to officiating and meet management but there have a long way to go before they get it right. Simple concerns that should be taken upon by the Human Resource department such as the tone and manner in which they (the officials) interact with the athletes and the knowledge and experience of the meet officials need to be addressed immediately. All the officials, specifically at a National Championship event, need to be aware of the technical rules and regulations for managing and officiating the respective events.
Despite the indiscretion, Ayanna Alexander went on to claim yet another triple jump title at the Sagicor National Championships with a 14.05m leap, a mark she regards as disappointing especially with her pre-meet preparation.

Alexander will return to her training base in Virginia where she will continue to do some fine tuning before the Olympic Games.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
some things never change, the 1996 trials (I took part in) was held in pouring rain!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ayanna, plz say that eh so! plz, plz, plz!!!

1]; } ?>