April 18, 2024, 03:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Java 24 error msg  (Read 5118 times)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Java 24 error msg
« on: July 04, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
So i find mehself learning Java, mind you i have no background but i am determined to learn at least the basics (job and other reasons).  I started a do it yourself book yesterday but for the first two lessons when i type in the code and hit run i get an error msg:

No build target is associated with Run action. The free-form project requires a target representing the Run action to invoke in your Ant script. Select the target to invoke.

any ideas??

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Java 24 error msg
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:07 AM »
first of what Integrated development environment (IDE) are u using, if any, the build target I am guessing.....is where your classes and or jar files are build to, if u are requirred to use an ant build script then that script must have a build target specified in it......I personally don't know anything about ant scripts beyond running them in IDEs that support them and even then I prefer the the realtime java builder on my IDE which is eclipse than have to mess with build scripts.... atleast until I feel the need to deploy my apps publicly any ways

have u tried compiling and running your code from the command interface on your OS?

I have googled your error though, it seems quite general in nature, so it could be anything from broken code, a missing path or variable in your development environment...in short..... yuh have to give more info :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:17:45 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »
thanks for getting back to me so fast.  a pardna of mine asked me the same question about the IDE.  first of all i have 0 programming experience and i am learning all this in a book that i am reading online thru my local library. i really want to at least be able to do some coding for various reasons which i won't get into

the author recommended we download netbeans integrated with the JDK so i downloaded it and it seemd to work.  but when i look at the screen shot the author entered, my thing doesn't look like it.  what he does is that he gives us some instructions and then we follow it and when we run the program it's supposed to do some silly thing like write hello there or something.  can i use eclipse and do the assignments and get the same results? (pardon my naivete)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
I not familiar with netbeans except for an IDE called JMP-SDK which is built on the netbeans platform and the primary tool for the game engine I use......but I barely use it.......I do believe that netbeans has a fast compile feature that will build and run a class without ant, but I honestly dont know where to tell u to look

...edit if u are clicking the green triangle button by the hammer icons it may mean u have not set an output location for your class files

, but u will have to research it and I mean lots of reading because environment setup is a big big part of programming u really have to try and understand the technology and setup requirements

this might be helpful to u though
I pity the fool....

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »
thanks dey breds. now i see why programmers make the big bucks.  i will fight up with it and let u know if it worked

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
it worked!   ;D    thanks bro!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »