March 28, 2024, 05:24:11 AM

Author Topic: I have to spell Niggas???  (Read 3985 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
I have to spell Niggas???
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:51:04 PM »
The spelling people pronounced it wrong. Not sure if it was on here before but if it was, here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFCSvqsqFA&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:52:56 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I have to spell Niggas???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Real pressure! I have never heard of the word Negus.
I know that the origin of the N word is supposedly Negro, but could it be that it was originally a corruption of Negus? I'm only guessing, but I would imagine that Ethiopians were one of the first African cultures encountered by white people. The word Negus spoken in a heavy African accent would sound very similar to the N word.
Be kind of ironic if white racists have been calling black people Kings for 500 years!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »
I know that the origin of the N word is supposedly Negro, but could it be that it was originally a corruption of Negus? I'm only guessing, but I would imagine that Ethiopians were one of the first African cultures encountered by white people. The word Negus spoken in a heavy African accent would sound very similar to the N word.
Be kind of ironic if white racists have been calling black people Kings for 500 years!

Uhm, no. The origins of the word is pretty well established. You deserve yuh own DavyJenny award for even suggesting that.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:51:30 AM »
I think the word is pronounced "nejus" which means king in amharic.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
Negro in Spanish means black.
The Spaniards were amongst the first to bring black slaves to the New World in mass amounts.
There is a possibility this is where the term Negro derived from.

No idea just taking a guess.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:47 AM »

Haile Selassie I is  referred to as Negus Nagast. It also have ah group named Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoqxBQ60nRE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WoqxBQ60nRE</a>

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »

Uhm, no. The origins of the word is pretty well established. You deserve yuh own DavyJenny award for even suggesting that.

I knew that someone would accuse me of being naive!! But language is often corrupted and myths become truth. I have no doubt the origin of the word was Negro....but you never know.

Lets say that the first white guy, lets say its a Spanish captain, in Africa met an Ethiopian tribe and they took him to their king...Negus. 
Once word passed through to the uneducated ships crew that the Captain called these black fellas Negus, and they corrupted it out of ignorance to the N word. When asked why black people are called that word, they, trying to be smart, say it comes from the Spanish word for black.

I have no interest in the origin of the word, just speculating, but I like the irony of the word meaning king.

Remember when you pointed out that Damarie Hill was originally D'Amarie Hill?  I bet most people in Grande under 30 don't know that! 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »

I knew that someone would accuse me of being naive!! But language is often corrupted and myths become truth. I have no doubt the origin of the word was Negro....but you never know.

Lets say that the first white guy, lets say its a Spanish captain, in Africa met an Ethiopian tribe and they took him to their king...Negus. 
Once word passed through to the uneducated ships crew that the Captain called these black fellas Negus, and they corrupted it out of ignorance to the N word. When asked why black people are called that word, they, trying to be smart, say it comes from the Spanish word for black.

I have no interest in the origin of the word, just speculating, but I like the irony of the word meaning king.

Remember when you pointed out that Damarie Hill was originally D'Amarie Hill?  I bet most people in Grande under 30 don't know that! 

I remember reading a sad sack comic book. A general tell a soldier to pass the word on to the captain to meet him by the lagoon. Sad Sack was the last man to present the message to the captain. "the general say you are a baboon"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:38:25 PM »

I remember reading a sad sack comic book. A general tell a soldier to pass the word on to the captain to meet him by the lagoon. Sad Sack was the last man to present the message to the captain. "the general say you are a baboon"

LOL. Similar story from 1st Gulf War. US airman bombs a shop in London. Colonel says " I told you to bomb Iraq, not Tie Rack"

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
US Airman was.correct.to bomb Iraq....plenty terrorists there...even though Iraq had little to do with terrorists

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »
FS, the word was not corrupted. the meaning of the word negro is the color black, and it derived from the latin root word "nigger". as we all know, spanish is one of the four latin derived languages, french, italian and portugues being the others. the word nigger means black in latin, surprised? don't take my word for it, go look it up for yourself.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:20 PM »

Haile Selassie I is  referred to as Negus Nagast. It also have ah group named Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5Wh8U2ChU&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5Wh8U2ChU&amp;feature=related</a>
And ah just bounce this up ... by the Argentine artiste Fidel Nadal.

post# 5555
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:30:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5Wh8U2ChU&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5Wh8U2ChU&amp;feature=related</a>
And ah just bounce this up ... by the Argentine artiste Fidel Nadal.

post# 5555
Sh!t song dat! no melody WSE.  :yellowcard:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »
JC ...

Dahis because the bass is not that pronounced and so too some of the other standard elements ... even as we recognize de riddim, it's very underscored. I doh disagree with you. In fact, I've found some of the product by Don Fidel somewhat wanting (not what "our" ear is accustomed to?), but I think that is also a product of the fact that the Argentinian reggae product is influenced by cumbia. That stated, he is probably the most significant bridge between English-speaking and Spanish-speaking Rastafari that I have encountered. (Some Senegalese youths who in Buenos Aires might take the mantle in due season and bridge Spanish to French).

It also seems to me that his vocals have been strained ... maybe from overuse and "anger". Other than that he could be Capleton. :devil:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:17:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K-dLJYO2VFo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K-dLJYO2VFo</a>

Stumbled upon this 2018 offering by Nadal and recalled this thread. Much better in 2018! See the subtitles.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fTmHSM45S1o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fTmHSM45S1o</a>

Although, this collaboration with I-Nesta from back in the day is very good lyrically and melodically. Check it out, even if via Google Translate!

Toda mi gente con las manos en el aire
O yay, yes I!
O yay

Cuando sientas que el día se hace nubla y no encuentres salida
No dejes de buscar la alegría que Jah te da
Si sientes que la luna es tu fiel compañía
Y la por que todo das no te supo valorar
Y te invade la nostalgia y las noches se hacen largas
Y el pecho te quiere estallar y no sabes si reír o llorar