April 25, 2024, 04:38:45 PM

Author Topic: Calypso Rose in London Ontario July 7-8 2012  (Read 1045 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Calypso Rose in London Ontario July 7-8 2012
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »
http://www.sunfest.on.ca/festival/performers/calypso-rose

Calypso Rose performing at Sunfest, billed as Canada's Premier World Music Festival

Calling Trinicana, Dutty, Jumbie, Mr. Fix-It Zandolie, Quags, Ribbit and others in the GTA area.

This is a free event but donations accepted.

July 7, 2012 - 5:00pm    July 8, 2012 - 2:00pm    July 8, 2012 - 7:15pm   

Bio

Tobago-born McArtha Linda Sandy-Lewis (aka Calypso Rose) is a living legend: the sharp-tongued first lady of calypso and all-round ambassador of Caribbean music, who has received more honors and medals than any other living Calypsonian. Throughout her trail-blazing five-decade career, she has built up an impressive music catalogue (over 800 songs!) that ranges from social and political commentary to party music, inspirational hymns and gospel music, and includes a steady string of calypso hits. As a performer, she has shared stages with, among others, Bob Marley, Miriam Makeba and Michael Jackson. In 1966, Calypso Rose wrote Fire in Meh Wire, which has become one of the international anthems of Calypso, translated into eight languages. In 1978, she was the first woman to win the title of Calypso Monarch (the annual competition in Trinidad & Tobago, choosing the best Calypso singer of the Carnival season) and the Road March (the song that’s most played on the road during Carnival). From there, there was no stopping this dynamic woman who, in the last couple of years, has re-launched her international career with a new CD and a busy touring schedule. McArtha Lewis’ life was recently chronicled in the acclaimed documentary film, Calypso Rose: The Lioness of the Jungle. It follows this incredible lady on the road from France to the Caribbean to her adopted hometown of New York City. Along the way, viewers are told a story of triumph, tragedy and, above all, determination. “Determination,” she asserts, “is my right hand. Anything I want to do in life, nobody could stop me. They could try to attempt to, but I make up my mind. So once I want to go for a walk, it doesn’t matter if I have arthritis in my knees, or my feet or my legs. If I need to walk, that pain will not stop me because I want to walk.”

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Calypso Rose in London Ontario July 7-8 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
b-but dais today and tomorrow...allyuh londoners doh have jobs or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »
b-but dais today and tomorrow...allyuh londoners doh have jobs or wha?

whaaat? You using the Kitchener Calendar or what? With RIM downsizing (well maybe in it death throes), all dates must be scrambled east of London.

July 7-8 is Saturday and Sunday. But the festival starts tonight, musicians on Thursday and Friday start in the evening (after work).

Ah go look for you anyways.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:53:58 AM »
That lady still going strong at 72 oui.

She performed to a small but enthusiastic crowd at 5pm on Saturday. she performs again at 2 and 7:15 pm today. It sure is nice to get this type of music, close up, in little conservative London, Canada.

Dutty, you really should consider coming next year if you have not yet made it down here. The range of world music is good and the calibre of the performers is outstanding. Plus it have all kinda food. I had Nicaraguan food on Friday, doubles, pholourie and beef roti on Saturday. Today, not to sure what i going to get.

I am going back to catch Rose at 7:15.  I walking with my T&T Flag tonight.

I will post some short videos later.

1]; } ?>