April 16, 2024, 05:24:44 AM

Author Topic: Who here agrees with Tyson Gay that the 100m Final in London is now Open?  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Gay_sees_open_London_100-161695525.html

Gay sees open London 100
Story Created: Jul 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM ECT

PARIS

American Tyson Gay on Friday declared the 100 metres at the London Olympics an open affair after winning the event at the Paris Diamond League.

The former World champion was away from the blocks slowly but accelerated in mid-race to overhaul compatriot Justin Gatlin in the final metres and cross the line first in 9.99 seconds.

"There are a lot of people now in the 100m, it is open for the Games," said Gay.

"(Usain) Bolt, (Yohan) Blake, (Justin) Gatlin, my training partner (Keston) Bledman. It will be spectacular."

His comments come on the heels of a double defeat for reigning Olympic champion Bolt, at the Jamaica Olympic trials last weekend in Kingston.

Blake won the event in a world-leading 9.75 seconds before returning to also win the 200 metres in another world-leading 19.80.

The defeats for Bolt have heightened speculation over a changing of the guard at the London Olympics which begin July 27.

On Friday, Gay struggled over the first part of the race as Gatlin stormed to the early lead in race six. Over the last 40 metres, Gay hit back out of lane five to edge Gatlin on the line.

"I tried to be patient. I'm strong mentally and ready for challenges. Trials was a faster race but here a better one for me technically," Gay said.

"I feel pretty good considering I came back and made the team. I was under a lot of stress, mentally and physically, early in the season, but I feel a lot better now."

Jamaican Nickel Ashmeade was fourth in 10.14 seconds with countryman Michael Frater fifth in 10.14.

Trinidadian Richard Thompson, who took silver at the Beijing Olympics four years ago, was one from last in the nine-man field in a time of 10.20 seconds.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree. Bolt going to Germany after getting waxed at Trials and not racing till London leaves this wide open. I sincerely believe Bolt is in a bit of trouble

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Well here we can see that even though the media has not been giving Bledman any credit, one of the serious contenders for the 100m rates him highly.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Dumplingdinho

I am happy that Bledman is training with Tyson.  Hopefully Tyson rubs off on him.  KB has a lot of talent but his work ethic was very questionable in the past.

1]; } ?>