April 19, 2024, 09:40:18 PM

Author Topic: Thread for National Open Championships Sat.23rd & Sun.24th June 2012 2pm at HCS  (Read 19244 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
cedenio has ran a lot this season and he is only 17, i doubt his body could handle the additional workload of the olympics.  if ade alleyne forte is in form i would have him as the reserve for the relay instead of cedenio.  cedenio time will come.  he will be the man to break ian morris record.
You are probably right, we don't want to overwork Cedenio from too early which can lead to injuries that can affect his career later on.
Just look what happened to Darrel Brown for example.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
19 year old doing a 10.17 making the olympic A standard .... yes . Big Big PB for Jamol James >

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
19 year old doing a 10.17 making the olympic A standard .... yes . Big Big PB for Jamol James >

Yeah true, we cyah overlook that achievement! Big-up to him!!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
London 2012 Olympics: Dwain Chambers set for Team GB
Dwain Chambers looks certain to be selected for the individual 100 metres at the London Olympics after being spared the burden of having to chase the A qualifying standard at the European Championships, which open in Helsinki on Wednesday.
London 2012 Olympics: Dwain Chambers set for Team GB selection
Dance for joy: Dwain Chambers celebrates winning the 100m final at the Olympic trials Photo: PA

By Simon Hart, in Helsinki

6:45PM BST 25 Jun 2012

Chambers outpaced teenager Adam Gemili to win the 100m at the Olympic trials in Birmingham on Saturday but still needed to run the A standard of 10.18sec between now and the selection meeting on July 2 to guarantee his ticket to London 2012.

However, in a clear signal that he has already done enough to secure his selection, he has been given permission by UK Athletics not to contest the individual 100m in Finland, where he would risk injury and fatigue by having to run three rounds on consecutive days.

Having succeeded in his battle to overturn a lifetime British Olympic Authority ban, Chambers was one of 109 athletes named in a provisional British squad for Helsinki last week, but it was always head coach Charles van Commenee’s plan to ‘deselect’ those track athletes who sealed their Olympic spots at the trials to keep them as fresh as possible for London.

The squad has now been trimmed to 82 athletes.

While Chambers has not been given a guaranteed place in London, it has been agreed by UK Athletics that he is sufficiently likely to be selected not to risk injury with the Games less than five weeks away.
Related Articles

The GB places still up for grabs
    24 Jun 2012

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
took this off the UK telegraph ..........After a summer spent in the slow lane, the relief for Chambers was so intense that his post-race celebrations included an expletive-filled outburst picked up by the BBC cameras – a transgression for he which he later apologised.

“I was pumped up and just got carried away,” said Chambers. “I just wanted to win and you need that bit of anger in you, but I’m sorry and I didn’t mean it.

Chambers, 34, won in 10.25 sec with Gemili taking second place 0.04 sec behind, though in terms of Olympic selection it is Gemili’s result that is the more significant.

UK Athletics rules stipulate that a top-two finish guarantees a place at the London Olympics as long as the athlete has achieved the Olympic ‘A’ standard this summer. In the case of the men’s 100m, that is 10.18 sec.

Just reflect that he ran the exact time as darrel Brown ran in the semis on Saturday to win the olympic qualifier ....we condemn Brown yet the Uk hails their runner who won in the same time ....is why you kyah please trinis !!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
@ Jai John: Yuh messing up we nice National Champs Thread man, doh want to hear bout them British athletes in this thread!

Them two last posts of yours above about Chambers should be in Thread For London Olympics 2012 at this link: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=55073.0

PS: Chambers will not make the final in London unless he can sub-10 so in his current form I don't see him making the 100m final. As for Brown, no one has condemned him but lets be realistic, he was 2nd to last in the 100m finals at our National Trials so before we focus on him, let’s focus on the 6 better performing T&T athletes who came ahead of him in the 100m final nah man?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:38:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
chambers running Lagahoo time..and tis iz news???

steups...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
chambers running Lagahoo time..and tis iz news???

steups...

lol... i now saying... Chambers eh challenging nobody
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bledman, Baptiste among 17 Olympic qualifiers
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-06-25/bledman-baptiste-among-17-olympic-qualifiers

Bledman, Baptiste among 17 Olympic qualifiers
Published: Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Clayton Clarke

National 100m champions Keston Bledman and Kelly-Ann Baptiste were among a field of 17 athletes to attain the Olympic standards in their respective events during the NGC/Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships at the Hasely Crawford Stadium over the weekend. The group are in line for selection for this country’s contingent for the 2012 Olympics Games, which will take place in London, England from July 27 to August 12. Bledman sped to the Men’s 100m title in a personal best of 9.86 seconds and led five other sprinters under the Olympic A standard of 10.18. His time is the fifth fastest for the 2012 season and beat his previous personal best of 9.89 achieved in May. Reigning Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson was second in 9.96 followed by Rondell Sorillo (10.03), Marc Burns (10.06), Emmanuel Callendar (10.12) and Jamol James (10.17).

In the semifinals Bledman (10.04), Sorillo (10.11) and Thompson (10.13) were all under the A mark. Bledman is now 15th on the world all-time performance list and also joint second among local sprinters with four-time Olympic medallist Ato Boldon (9.86), 0.01 behind Richard Thompson’s national mark of 9.85. Baptiste, a bronze medallist at last year’s World Championships, won her sixth national crown in the Women’s 100m in a time of 10.98. She finished ahead of Semoy Hackett (11.14), Kai Selvon (11.24) and Michelle Lee-Ahye (11.29), each of whom attained the Olympic A standard of 11.29. Fifth placed Reyare Thomas clocked 11.38, equaling the B mark. Sorillo, Selvon and Hackett were double A qualifiers. Sorillo retained the Men’s 200m in 20.48, ahead of the 20.55 standard, while Selvon defended her Women’s crown in 22.96, beating Hackett (22.98), who was also under the 23.10 A mark. In the Men’s 400m, winner Lalonde Gordon was among four quartermilers who were quicker than the Men’s 400m B standard of 45.90. Gordon took the gold 45.40 seconds, ahead of World Championships bronze medallist Renny Quow  (45.60), Deon Lendore (45.74) and Jarrin Solomon (45.88). Another World Championships bronze medallist, Josanne Lucas notched the B standard in the Women’s 100m and 400m hurdles. In the Sprint Hurdles, Lucas crossed the line in 13.07, quicker than the 13.15 B mark while in the one lap Hurdles, the 2009 World Championships third place finisher was beaten into second by Janielle Bellille (56.31 to 56.39), both swifter than the 56.65 A qualifying mark. Commonwealth and Pan American Games multiple medallist Cleopatra Borel captured her eighth Women’s Shot Put crown with a distance of 17.98 (B standard-17.20).

The national Men’s 4x400m team of Quow, Gordon, Solomon and Lendore clocked a new national record of 3:00.45, which pushed the squad up to fourth on the 2012 performance list and up from 15th on the Olympic relay qualification list.  The next new ranking will be released later today by the IAAF. The top 16 relay teams will qualify to run in the event in the London Olympics. Wayne Davis, Mikel Thomas and Jehue Gordon had attained the A standard in their events prior to the Championships and will also be among the athletes vying for selection. Davis (13.37) and Thomas (13.48) have gone under the A mark of 13.52 in the men’s 110m hurdles while Gordon bettered the 49.50 A standard in the Men’s 400m hurdles with a qualifying best of 48.66. Ayanna Alexander and Keshorn Walcott are the lone B qualifiers in their events. Alexander, the 2010 Commonwealth silver medallist, leapt to a national record of 14.15m in the Women’s Triple Jump, over the B standard of 14.10, while 19-year-old Walcott got over the 79.50m B mark in the Men’s Javelin with a national record distance of 80.11m. The T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) is expected to name the national contingent within the next two weeks.

Results
A qualifiers: Men-6, Women-6
B qualifiers: Men-4, Women-3

Day One

Women

100m (A-11.29/B-11.38)
A Finals (+0.6)
1  Kelly-Ann Baptiste  Zenith  10.98
2  Semoy Hackett  Zenith  11.14
3  Kai Selvon  Air Bon Sonics  11.24
4  Michelle Lee-Ahye  Unattached  11.29
5  Reyare Thomas  Neon Trackers  11.38

100m Hurdles (A-13.10/B-13.15)—Wind (+1.1)
1  Josanne Lucas  Tobago Falcons  13.07

Men
100m (A-10.18/B-10.24)
A Finals (+1.4)
1  Keston Bledman  Simplex  9.86
2  Richard Thompson  Rebirth  9.96
3  Rondel Sorillo  La Brea  10.03
4  Marc Burns  Rebirth  10.06
5  Emmanuel Callendar  Memphis  10.14
6  Jamol James  Memphis  10.17

400m (A-45.30/B-45.90)
A Finals
1  Lalonde Gordon  Tigers  45.40
2  Renny Quow  Zenith  45.60
3  Deon Lendore  Abilene Wildcats  45.74
4  Jarrin Solomon  Memphis  45.88

DAY TWO

Women

200m (A-23.10/B-23.30)—Wind: -1.9
1  Kai Selvon  Air Bon Sonics  22.96
2  Semoy Hackett  Zenith  22.96

400m Hurdles (A-55.50/B-56.65)
1  Janeil Bellille  Neon Trackers  56.31
2  Josanne Lucas  Tobago Falcons  56.39

Shot put (A-18.30/B-17.20)
1  Cleopatra Borel  Unattached  17.98

Men
200m Finals (A-20.55/B-20.65)—Wind: -1.1
1  Rondel Sorillo  La Brea  20.48

4X400m (National record-3:01.05)
1  T&T  3:00.45
2  Venezuela  3:04.05
3  T&T JR   3:05.95
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:00:14 PM by Socapro »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
@ Jai John: Yuh messing up we nice National Champs Thread man, doh want to hear bout them British athletes in this thread!

Them two last posts of yours above about Chambers should be in Thread For London Olympics 2012 at this link: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=55073.0

PS: Chambers will not make the final in London unless he can sub-10 so in his current form I don't see him making the 100m final. As for Brown, no one has condemned him but lets be realistic, he was 2nd to last in the 100m finals at our National Trials so before we focus on him, let’s focus on the 6 better performing T&T athletes who came ahead of him in the 100m final nah man?

Ok read and spell session ... I quoted the story on chambers to make 3 points .... to show how much an achievement Jamol james managed last saturday .... to show how much superior our own national championships 100 metres was to that of the uk and to show how they appreciated the 10.25 time done by Chambers which is the time Brown ran in the semis ...which someone condemned as so slow ...
I dont have Chambers as any factor in the olympics my favourite is Richard Torpedo thompson .....the man for the big occasion . I also dont have Darrel as even a relay option anymore but he is not as bad as some would have us believe...

truetrini

Ok read and spell session ... I quoted the story on chambers to make 3 points .... to show how much an achievement Jamol james managed last saturday .... to show how much superior our own national championships 100 metres was to that of the uk and to show how they appreciated the 10.25 time done by Chambers which is the time Brown ran in the semis ...which someone condemned as so slow ...
I dont have Chambers as any factor in the olympics my favourite is Richard Torpedo thompson .....the man for the big occasion . I also dont have Darrel as even a relay option anymore but he is not as bad as some would have us believe...

f**k that shit about England appreciated 10.25...show me anywhere that is the case.  They in fact bemaoned the slow times and rightly pointed out that 5 men in the US trials ran sub 10....like you on a dial up modem like Brown or what?

And oh yeah Brown is a third tier sprinter,,,THIRD tier, who vex lorse and need to pull dey head out their ass,,,been trying to show that for the past 3 years!

Richard Thompson has a terrible bad mind and will leave it all out on the track.   Will he be good enough, I will not be surprised if he turns in the best T&T performance, but he will need better than his PB to medal..thats for sure!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
10.25 was appreciated? By who the British?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
10.25 was appreciated? By who the British?
That is old talk from Jai John!

I live in England and know how they operate.

The main reason they have done a U turn and allowed Chambers to be eligible to compete in Olympics after coming back from a ban is that he seems to be their best sprinter right now and they are desperate to have a sprinter in the Men's 100m final even if they don't win a medal.

They definitely don't appreciate the fact that Chambers their best male sprinter at the moment has not gone under 10s this season as he is unlikely to make the 100m final at Olympics if he can't get under 10s.

That 10.25s run by Chambers is a major worry for the Brits and if any other British sprinter does a sub-10 tomorrow and looks a better prospect for making the 100m final then Chambers will be quickly tossed aside and forgotten.

That is how the British operate, I know because I live here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:23:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
I have a serious question. Is brown injured, not fit or the injuries just take a toll on his body? What's up with him?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I have a serious question. Is brown injured, not fit or the injuries just take a toll on his body? What's up with him?
The third part I've highlighted is the answer and it is obvious to all who have observed his career over the years.

Even Ato said the same thing on this very forum if you go back and read some of his measured contributions to the numerous Darrel Brown threads created on this forum over the years.

For a similar reason I am concerned about us overworking Cedenio as he is still a bit too young to be thrown in with the seniors for the Olympics as this can lead to DB type injuries if we are not careful.
This is why I am in two minds about TTOC taking Cedenio along to the London Olympics if that is indeed what they intend to do as I think he is still a bit too young and his body is not mature enough to stand up to the rigors of competing with the seniors. But if he is just being taken along for the Olympic experience as a reserve for our 4x400m relay squad and will just be used sparingly in the training sessions then it might not be such a bad idea to take Cedenio along.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Breaking News: Injury kept Gordon out NAAA championship run!
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »
Hasely Crawford Stadium - Site License
T&T NAAA SAGICOR GENERAL/N.G.C                     
2012 SENIOR/OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS  - 6/23/2012 to 6/24/2012         
HASELY CRAWFORD STADIUM, PORT OF SPAIN, T'DAD             

Day Two Official Track Results!

Event 36  Men 400 Meter Hurdles 0.194m
=======================================================================
          NR: ! 48.26  8/18/2009   Jehue Gordon                       
                49.50  # Olympic A Std.                               
                49.80  @ Olympic B Std.                               
    Name              Year Team                    Finals        Points
=======================================================================
Finals                                                                 
  1 Mayers, Emmanuel    89 Rebirth                  50.66             
  2 Murray, Leslie      91 US Virgin Islands        51.54             
  3 Benjamin, Brandon   93 Memphis Pioneers         52.13             
  4 Walters, Ruebin     95 Memphis Pioneers         53.13             
  5 Alexis, Kern        93 Neon Trackers            53.87             
  6 Perouza, Kendell    94 Neon Trackers            56.87             
 -- Sealy, Kereem       91 Quantum                    DNF             
NB: Jehue Gordon didn't run due to injury!

Lets hope Jehue recovers quickly and is back in top shape in time for the London Olympics as he is one of our medal prospects!!

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-01/injury-keeps-gordon-out-naaa-championship-run

Injury keeps Gordon out NAAA championship run
Published: Monday, July 2, 2012
Clayton Clarke

Olympic qualifier Jehue Gordon was not among the starters in the men’s 400m hurdles at last weekend’s Sagicor/NGC National Open Track and Field Championships at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. The 20-year-old withdrew from the event on the advice of his doctor, after sustaining a slight tear to his quadriceps ahead of the meet. The Belmont Boys’ Secondary/QRC graduate said he was not happy with having to sit out of the race. “I was disappointed when I found out that I would not be entered to compete. I wanted to come out and show the fans the shape I am in and give a really good performance. However, my coach just wanted to ensure that all is well and everything happens at the right time as this year is an Olympic year and we did not want to take any risks.”

He added that his doctor (Dr Ian Hypolite) identified the injury early and within a week’s time he is expecting to be back on the track. The UWI Sports Management student is expected to compete in France on July 6. The Maraval resident said he is focused on London, “I don’t need additional pressure to deal with going into the Olympics. I don’t need anyone not registering me. I don’t need to worry about things that I should not be worrying about. Training is going extremely well and I need to keep my head clear so I could go out there and execute the race to the best of my ability.” The five-time Carifta champion said he is mindful of the expectation the country has placed on him going into London, “I am using the pressure positively knowing that the nation is behind me 100 per cent and it is not just me alone competing. It is really hard going out to a meet by yourself but I think about back home and realise that they want me to do well and be the best. It is just good to show the people that they can look up to someone and give them something they can be proud about.”

Gordon said his recent performances on the Diamond League circuit in Rome made him more confident as he prepared for his Olympic debut. “In my last four races I placed second in three of them and that has boosted my confidence showing I can go out there and compete against the best in the world. No name has been written on those medals (in London) as yet. What is going to make the difference is who wants to win the most on the day.” Prior to his fourth place finish in Rome, Gordon revealed that he fell sick but still put his all. “I was sick but no one knew that. I always go out there and represent to the best and give it my all. Some people don’t know what it takes to be an athlete. We strive for distinction and want to be the best and break records.”
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:43:04 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Athletes set to make TnT proud at Olympics
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
http://www.tntmirror.com/2012/07/01/athletes-set-to-make-tnt-proud-at-olympics

Athletes set to make TnT proud at Olympics
By Trevor Burnett
July 1st 2012 11:33 AM

Seeking Olympic glory in London this summer will be several Trinidad and Tobago athletes.

It was at the London Olympics in 1948 Trinidad and Tobago made its first appearance, with track athletes Georgie “Bullet Start” Lewis and Mannie Ramjohn and weightlifter Rodney “Atom” Wilkes (a silver medalist).

Last weekend at the NGC/Sagicor Open Track and Field Championships at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, our men and women continued to display their athletic prowess.

Several foreign athletes throughout the Caribbean, Venezuela and America pitted their talents in attempting to meet with the qualifying times for the Olympics.

Among the foreign athletes that showed their worth by winning their events was high jumper Dominican Brendon Williams and Bermudan Aaron Evans in the 800 metres.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Keston Bledman copped the Men and Women 100-metres sprint title, while Rondel Sorrillo and Kai Selvon conquered the 200 metres events.

Renny Quow’s 400-metre domination was disrupted by Lalonde Gordon, and the talented Ayanna Alexander showed her class in the triple jump and long jump events.

Cleopatra Borel-Brown and Annie Alexander powered their way through the shot-put and discus.

Based on the athletes’ performances, Trinidad and Tobago can expect precious metal in the sprints and the relays.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Great National Championships
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-07-08/great-national-championships

Great National Championships
Published: Monday, July 9, 2012
Dr Cliff Bertrand

This has been one of the most anticipated Nationals for two basic reasons. The fact that it is the Olympic trials created its own interest and excitement. Secondly, this was the first time that Renny Quow and Richard Thompson were seriously challenged and dethroned. The clash between Thompson and Bledman brought back the spark in track. In the 400 metres Deon Lendore the young Abilenian and Lalonde Gordon realised that Quow was vulnerable. They defeated him. Clearly, track and field, because of the competitive nature of the sports, won the day. The athletes must be congratulated for bringing some energy, both physical and emotional back to track and field.

One must admit that there is indeed a Trini culture. However, some things could be overkill and taken too far.

As a track and field advocate, one sincerely hopes that the rhythm section and the DJ do not become an integral part of the landscape of track and field in T&T. When fans want to feel the rhythm they go to Borough Day in Arima and Point. When they want to prance and carry on they go to a place where the DJ will be burning up the place.

A track meet is not a fete match and there ought to be no semblance of one. Having the drums booming and the DJ blasting while the long jumpers are competing is totally inappropriate and unnecessary. Someone mentioned that the noise was so loud that some people had to give up their preferred seat to move as far away from the band instead of their usual position close to the finish line. Having the DJ playing while the 1,500 metre race is in progress is unacceptable.

This is not a fete in here; this is madness.  Play, play mister DJ. Is it that track and field cannot stand on its own merit that we need all the appendages? It is my understanding that serious competitors need to focus, concentrate, visualise, verbalise, analyse, listen to their inner self and engage in meditative, mental and psychological processes. It is a fact that some of these processes could be interrupted and obstructed by music and sounds of a particular nature, volume, tone and beats per minute. Oh well, It must not be a Trini thing. How is it possible that at National Championships and Olympic trials false starts could be permitted? The starter and the assistant starter have critical roles to play. One of the roles is to ensure that no athlete is at a disadvantage in any way at the start of the race. On no less than three occasions the starter allowed the race to proceed when it was quite obvious that one athlete false started. The events included: the men’s “A” 200 metres race, the 100 metres women’s “B” race and the women’s “B” 200 metres. The starter and his assistant both did a great and grave injustice to athletes in those races. Why won’t these races recalled? What occurred at the start of the 800 metres race with James that created a delay?

Something must be done to increase the number of spectators at our track meets. The NAAA might be extremely satisfied with the turn out for the nationals. Did you notice that this year the entrance fee was $50 and not $40 as in previous years? Come on man; organise a big championship and charge people $100 or $150. Are we afraid that the stands would be empty? If that’s the case, then you would know the status of track and field in T&T. An increase of $10 was not warranted. 20% of the onlookers went in free. Last year there were only two athletes in the women’s 1,500 metres race. This year the same thing occurred. The very same two athletes competed. What are the strategic plans to develop the 800 and 1,500 metres women? What are the plans to develop the triple jump, high jump and long jump for women and men? The NAAA should partner with the Ministry of Education to provide buses to schools to have our children talented or not attend the games at least one day as an education exercise or field trip?

Would the NAAA want to meet the Ministry of National Security to bring out all the members of the Police Youth Groups across the country? How about having a conversation with the Ministry of Community Development in bringing out the youth groups around the country to the meet? Is there a place for the Ministry of Sport in assisting in mobilising all those sporting groups to attend the National Championships? It is worth a try—building our nation through sports. Our youth and the general population need to be part of these events for a variety of reasons. Our citizens need to experience these sporting events in greater numbers. Do you think if the NAAA brings Machel and Destra to the championships next year they could full the stadium? How about if the government bring down Shaq and Lebrun? Congratulations to all those athletes who competed in the true spirit of track and field and were selected to the team for the Olympic Games in London—wishing “Team TTO” every success. Remember these words: “Though I compete against you, you are not my enemy, you are my adversary. Your strength gives me courage, your will ennobles me, your spirit defines me.  Though I aim to defeat you, if I should succeed I shall not humiliate you, instead, I shall honour you, because, with out you I am a lesser man.”

1]; } ?>