April 28, 2024, 08:54:51 AM

Author Topic: Man these Americans!! Now it is Carl Lewis hating on Bolt, go figure!  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympics-sport/carl-lewis-usain-bolt-wont-match-me-and-retain-his-sprint-title-in-london-7807560.html#.T_9S5zxNu0M.email

Carl Lewis: Usain Bolt won’t match me and retain his sprint title in London
Richard Moore
31 May 2012 11:03 AM

Carl Lewis claims Usain Bolt will struggle to match his own feat of defending the 100m Olympic title.

The American is the only man to do so – winning gold in 1984 and 1988 – and is unconvinced of Bolt’s enduring legacy.

“It’s very rare to repeat success,” said Lewis. “To win two Olympic 100m titles, nobody else has ever done it. History defines the greatest. You need longevity and consistency. I had an 18-year career.”

Ben Johnson, who initially beat Lewis across the line to win 100m gold in Seoul before being exposed as a drugs cheat, is also begrudging about the Jamaican, even claiming that he could match Bolt’s times if he was running today.

“I was 50 years ahead of my time,” he said. “Bolt now is doing stuff I was capable of. What he’s running on, these fast tracks they’re building now, I could have run.”

While speaking to Johnson and Lewis, which I did for my forthcoming book, The Dirtiest Race In History, about Seoul, it was impossible not to notice that both are preoccupied by Bolt.

Asked to assess the Jamaican’s amazing times, Lewis said enigmatically: “Time will tell!”

Johnson and Lewis despised one another. In contrast, Bolt and his rivals seem almost close. When Justin Gatlin, the 2004 Olympic 100m champion, suggested Bolt might be beatable, Bolt prefixed his response with: “I don’t want to sound rude.”

Johnson and Lewis had no such qualms. “My intention is to kick his butt,” said Johnson on the eve of their showdown in Seoul.

Gatlin said “great competition” will keep the public more interested than a continuation of “the Usain Bolt show”, and on this, at least, Lewis agrees. “You need rivalries,” said the nine-time Olympic gold medallist. “I understood the importance of that. And I worked it.”

The 100m was damaged in Seoul, and, with other drugs cheats exposed in the intervening years, including Gatlin and Britain’s 1992 champion Linford Christie, an air of suspicion surrounds whoever claims to be the world’s fastest man. This presents “a challenge” in selling the sport, said Lewis.

Johnson, who used steroids for seven years, said: “The 100m is still tainted. No doubt about that. That’s the way it is. The more money you put on the table, the more tainted.”

Even in the modern era, with improved testing?

“Different era, different time zone, same thing. Same 100m. Everybody wants to be the fastest man.”

The Dirtiest Race in History: Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the 1988 Olympic 100m Final (Wisden Sports Writing), £18.99, published  June 7.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:24:53 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

Ben Johnson is not a Jamaican. Linford Christie was a big druggist.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:30:09 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile

where does it say that he was a Jamaican??

These men (Lewis/Johnson) need to shut up and accept that their time has passed. 
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

truetrini

where does it say that he was a Jamaican??

These men (Lewis/Johnson) need to shut up and accept that their time has passed. 

I should have said Ben Johnson is not an American!  ooops

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lewis doesn't see Bolt double
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
He also didn't see Ben Johnson!!  :devil:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Lewis_doesn_t__see_Bolt_double-162492186.html

Lewis doesn't see Bolt double
Story Created: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

l LONDON

Olympic legend Carl Lewis has cast doubt on sprint sensation Usain Bolt repeating as 100 metres champion at the London Olympics starting later this month.

Jamaican Bolt will start the July 27th to August 12 as the defending champion in both sprints after dominating in Beijing four years ago.

Lewis, who won gold in the event at the 1984 Los Angeles showpiece and four years later in Seoul, said it was difficult for sprinters to remain in peak condition for extended periods.

"The reason it hasn't been done is because it's hard to stay at that level for a long period of time. People are always trying to beat you when you are a champion," the American pointed out.

"(Yohan) Blake has beaten Bolt two years in a row now after the World Championships in 2011 and we don't know what Bolt's head is like when he loses."

He continued: "It's a challenge to win two in a row but history defines greatness. You don't have greatness in your time – you are great because of history.

"We always try to predict which races are going to be great but you just don't know and that is the brilliant thing about it."

Chinks appeared in Bolt's armour two weeks ago when he was twice beaten by training partner Blake at the Jamaica National Trials.

On both occasions, Blake clocked world-leading times – 9.75 seconds in the 100m and 19.80 in the 200m – to install himself as one of the favourites in London.

Lewis, a nine-time Olympic gold medal winner, warned about the hype surrounding Blake.

"I still don't understand this Yohan Blake situation because one year ago I had never heard of him and now everyone is saying he is the greatest," Lewis said.

"But, in 2004, I went through the same thing with Maurice Greene. I said then that history defines greatness. Maurice only won bronze [in Athens] and then disappeared. That is why I let it all take place because I know how quickly it can change."

Lewis pointed out the 100m field was perhaps a lot more open than many were willing to admit.

"People are talking about Bolt but (Justin) Gatlin could win," said Lewis.

at the time — for last place at this meeting in 2011. "I've done all the work so I'm happy that I can take something like that away. I knew I had a good chance, I saw her (Montsho) look back so then I thought, 'I've got you now'," said Ohuruogu, who was disqualified from the world championships last year for a false start. Men's world champion Kirani James timed his race to perfection, surging to the front off the bend to win in 44.86. Kenyan Silas Kiplagat burst to the front off the final bend to win the men's mile in 3:52.44 after the race had been subject to two false starts, which were put down to a technical problem.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

This buller man Lewis cyar hush for truth/  Steups.

truetrini

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:41:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:42:24 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHRmx4yV4MY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xHRmx4yV4MY</a>

embed this for me
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:45:07 PM by Socapro »

truetrini

Carl Lewis..Shut up!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carl Lewis..Shut up!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
Nice to hear Ato speak out about Carla and his bad mind!  :)

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Man these Americans!! Now it is Carl Lewis hating on Bolt, go figure!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
I'm not a Bolt fan. Admire him, but don't class myself as a "fan". I was hoping that Spearmon (who has beaten Bolt) might take the 200M crown, but it was not to be. Lewis' claim, or "suspicions", seems to be based on his own experiences, having failed drug tests, and as far as I know, Bolt has never failed a drug test. While Bolt was running phenomenal times as a teenager, even mid-teens, Ben Johnson was running phenomenally slow times over 100 metres in his early-mid teens. We don't see this dramatic, sudden and surprising improvement in Bolt as we witnessed in Johnson, which naturally gives rise to warranted suspicions (not to mention Johnson admitting to using steroids and going from "scrawny" to "muscle-bound").

Bolt's progression seems to be in line with, for example,  Don Quarrie, who as a 15 year old was running 10.3-10.5 100M, and was consistent throughout his whole career. There was no point at which Quarrie lowered his 100M time from 11.5 to 10.3 (as a teenager, which Johnson did). We also see discrepancies like This in Johnson.

As for Lewis' claim in regard to Bolt's "amazing performances", and that "time will tell", time has already spoken. Michael Johnson ran 19.32 to win the Atlanta Olympics 200M Final. And what was Bolt's winning time at the 2012 London Olympics 200M Final?  19.32. Sixteen years between finals, and both record the same time. Is there something "suspicious" there?

If Bolt had broken the 19 second barrier, then maybe Lewis might have something to crow about, but even so, Spearmon predicted about two years ago that Bolt might be the first to break the 19 second barrier. Maybe Bolt needs to "up" the drug intake?  ;)

giggsy11

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
Great sports documentary on Espn's 30 for 30 called 9.79. It is an depth look at the men's 100-meter final at Seoul Olympics. BenJohnson's rise in the sport. Focus also on Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis rivalry and Ben testing positive after the race. Next extended showing now on ESpn 2 and Sunday at 9:00pm on Espn.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:36:08 PM by Giggsy11 »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Man these Americans!! Now it is Carl Lewis hating on Bolt, go figure!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
Great sports documentary on Espn's 30 for 30 called 9.79. It is an depth look at the men's 100-meter final at Seoul Olympics. BenJohnson's rise in the sport. Focus also on Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis rivalry and Ben testing positive after the race. Next extended showing now on ESpn 2 and Sunday at 9:00pm on Espn.

Search for "the race that shocked the world" on YouTube. If you have not seen it already. Same story.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »

Search for "the race that shocked the world" on YouTube. If you have not seen it already. Same story.

I came across this 30 for 30 doc and managed to PVR the last 45 minutes.  Brought back a lot of memories. I can recall exactly where I was when Johnson won the race and when the story broke.

I was particularly  close to the 'gossip mill' as by brother-in-law and Johnson were both on the Canadian Olympic Track and Field team.

I tried searching for "the race that shocked the world" on YouTube but it did not show up. At least not in the first two search results pages.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

I came across this 30 for 30 doc and managed to PVR the last 45 minutes.  Brought back a lot of memories. I can recall exactly where I was when Johnson won the race and when the story broke.

I was particularly  close to the 'gossip mill' as by brother-in-law and Johnson were both on the Canadian Olympic Track and Field team.

I tried searching for "the race that shocked the world" on YouTube but it did not show up. At least not in the first two search results pages.

It was deleted, the 30 for 30 is the same documentary. Espn just changed the name, maybe it sounded more cool ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:20:27 AM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »

It was deleted, the 30 for 30 is the same documentary. Espn just changed the name, maybe it sounded more cool ?

Found it. Thanks

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jbeb6qB6KPo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jbeb6qB6KPo</a>
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:56:17 PM by Socapro »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »
Carl Lewis did run out of his lane at least once that I saw in the fottage of the 1988 100m.  But he did not get DQ. Yet the Cdn men 4x100 get DQ in 2012. Go figure.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
Carl Lewis did run out of his lane at least once that I saw in the fottage of the 1988 100m.  But he did not get DQ. Yet the Cdn men 4x100 get DQ in 2012. Go figure.

Rules apply to running on the bend where and advantage can be gained. This Olympics Powell ran out his lane in the 100m heats, but nothing happened to him.
Youtube Channel

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

Rules apply to running on the bend where and advantage can be gained. This Olympics Powell ran out his lane in the 100m heats, but nothing happened to him.

yeah, i realized this after I made the post. and yes, the Cdn should be disqualified as they broke the rules. But is the rule fair all the time?

Based on how far the Cdn 3rd leg ran out of the lane, and the margin of the difference between the 3rd and 4th place (38.07 versus 38.12 sec), did the misstep make a difference? In my calculations, the .05s lead that the Canadian had would have equated to a .5m advantage. somebody should check my math to see if it right.

did the advantage on the curve equate to a 0.5 metre advantage?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »
No it's not fair, the man barely mash the line.
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here is a video done by one of these Americans on the topic.

Carl Lewis Accuses Bolt of Doping
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNg6_9xLuaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KNg6_9xLuaE</a>

Its just hurting them so much, the recent Caribbean sprint domination led by Jamaica.   :thumbsup:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ben Johnson Says He Is Faster Than Usain Bolt And Can Run 9.3 Seconds
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
Don't know why Ben Johnson is still using drugs at his age!
Man says he would run 9.3 at his peak and beat Bolt if he was running against Bolt today.

Ben Johnson Says He Is Faster Than Usain Bolt And Can Run 9.3 Seconds
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eWYvjvzhar4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eWYvjvzhar4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This video gives us concrete proof that big mouth Carl Lewis took drugs during his athletic career, hence why he believes that Bolt can't run as fast as he does clean and keeps casting suspicions on Bolt.

Proof That Carl Lewis Took Drugs In 1988
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGiEKeJnmpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dGiEKeJnmpg</a>

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro, that's the same thing i was trying to explain to Storeboy in the VCB thread, but i guess he don't really understand what going on.
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro, that's the same thing i was trying to explain to Storeboy in the VCB thread, but i guess he don't really understand what going on.
:beermug:

1]; } ?>