March 28, 2024, 08:57:17 AM

Author Topic: 14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater, police chief says  (Read 9352 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
But under all d small talk...why the Police ent blow way he tail in that movietheater.

I cant understand how they harping he is neuroscience...he bright yadda yadda troubled.

If he wasn't white the papers woulda put a different spin on it, terrorism etc.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Thanks JDB for finally talking some sense in this thread.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
But under all d small talk...why the Police ent blow way he tail in that movietheater.

I cant understand how they harping he is neuroscience...he bright yadda yadda troubled.

why de cops didn't shoot him? dey would want to catch him for questioning. that make more sense. sounds like he didn't try death by cop. maybe he was hoping to meet batman in the interrogation room?

de media struggling to provide a narrative. if is an arab or a black man, dey could easily point and say - america is beautiful and dis fella hate beautiful america cause dat is how they do. now, dey struggling. dey have some pictures from de courtroom looking like a bewildered cesar romero.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Trayvon Martin got killed and he was a delinquent, pot head.

This dude killed 14 people and injured over 54 more and was a smart, PHD, easy going knida fella.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

You missing the forest for the trees, there are also more guns in NY and Colorado than in T&T yet there are less gun deaths.

How do you correlate that FACT?

You comapring chenettes to guava.

You are playing a stats game and aggregating all gun violence together. Either that or you missing the fact that this is a specific kind of crime that may be curbed by a more restrictive gun policy.

I am not playing a stats game.  I was pointing out that criminal endeavor will find a way.  This IS a specific crime and it is also a one off kinda crime, this does not happen every week despite the number of guns available!  Even with guns easy to come by, there has been a great reduction in crimes committed with guns in the USA as comapred to T&T  Ask yourself why.

Guns are very difficult to come by for the average TNT citizen. Criminals have them in abundance, that is expected as they are the tools of the trade. Law enforcement have them and business owners go through a somewhat rigorous documentation process to get them. You cannot buy ammunition willy-nilly and they don’t have guns marketed to and easily, accessible by, the general public in gun stores and walmart.

EXACTLY!   Even with the great difficulty there are still more murders in T&T.  I can bet you that a great deal of illegal guns in T&T also find their way into the hands of businessmen and the otherwise law abiding citizens.   What eh miss you eh pass you, there have been similar mass murders in other nations with strict gun rules also.  Maybe you have forgotten Norway.  They have all the restrictions we are advocating here in the USA and yet, some mad man found them and used them to kill a whole lot of youths

TnT does have much more gun related crime because the place in a mess and we have too much crime but there are no instances of mass murder by mentally unstable people  who have no checks on their access to guns and very few instances of children shooting children/themselvesin the home. As a result when somebody trip off in TnT they most they might do is drink gramoxone, go on a chopping spree or kill their own family. All tragic, but nowhere near the carnage that we see in the US and in TnT, there is no clear path for a non-criminal, socially displaced person to plan something of this scale.

Thing is there are supposed to be restrictions on mentally unstable persons owning guns in the USA!  But when a scholar and seemingly upwardly mobile person trips off without prior notice how do you apply the laws?  besides, if a man is determined to take out a lot of people in the USA or Trinidad ot Norway, he will find the guns legally or illegally.   You comparing a man chopping people up as nowhere near the carnage?  I suggest that you need to be a much sicker individual to do something as PERSONAL as chop and hack someone to death.  breds that is way sicker than shooting eh.  Even when you can only chop 3 or 4 people that takes a lot more sickness.  Phew....!

Yuh using the fact that things shitty in TnT as an example to defend something different that is shitty in the US.
The sad thing is neither ploitical party has the will to really debate this because of the money made by gun manufacturers.

I am not defending anyhting, I was merely pointing out that where there is a will there is a way.  The man made a post and I responded...I am a proponent of gun control.  Truthfully, I kinda understand your position, but to me it is weak.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
America is de drama queen and de 2nd Amendment is de abusive Ex.

You must be de cuckold husband den.

wey de rimshot smiley when yuh want it?
That is fighting words oui! rabbit boy, yuh look fuh dat!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trayvon Martin got killed and he was a delinquent, pot head.

This dude killed 14 people and injured over 54 more and was a smart, PHD, easy going knida fella.

The delinquent pot head talk came about nearly a month after the fact... the book not yet written on this suspect.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thoughts and Prayers goes out to the victims (I think this was a scene reenacted from the comic books)

the shooter

<a href="http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bGq2W1C5jVJGqEgzE4d_5w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/Screen-shot-2012-07-20-at-12.02.31-PM.png" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bGq2W1C5jVJGqEgzE4d_5w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/Screen-shot-2012-07-20-at-12.02.31-PM.png</a>

apparently this guy is a PHD student in neuroscience. ah betting he is an atheist.
WOW they doh call yuh rabbit fuh nutten, nice quick recovery, i'm impressed.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

He is actually a church going Christian good boy.
Thoughts and Prayers goes out to the victims (I think this was a scene reenacted from the comic books)

the shooter

<a href="http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bGq2W1C5jVJGqEgzE4d_5w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/Screen-shot-2012-07-20-at-12.02.31-PM.png" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bGq2W1C5jVJGqEgzE4d_5w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/Screen-shot-2012-07-20-at-12.02.31-PM.png</a>

apparently this guy is a PHD student in neuroscience. ah betting he is an atheist.
WOW they doh call yuh rabbit fuh nutten, nice quick recovery, i'm impressed.

It takes very little to impress you.  As I pointed out the guy is a Christian why else would he call himself Joker?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/james-holmes-colorado-shooter-described-as-normal-christian-boy-amid-mental-health-investigation-photo-78623/

But in all seriousness I don't think we should be making this into a christian versus atheist debate this is not the time for that.  This is a sick person, christian or not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:12:40 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Police never encounter him inside de theater.  As for his background... it normal when an otherwise seemingly normal person loss dey mind and do something like this for people to try and make sense of what might cause it.  De Nigerian fella who had de bomb in he draws, they examined his life too... talking about how he went to England to study and how he father was rich upper class.  They was even looking for clues from he time in England to try and explain it.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/us/other-states-and-other-times-would-have-posed-obstacles-for-gunman.html?pagewanted=all

If the man who killed 12 people and shot dozens more in a packed Colorado movie theater last week had tried to carry out his scheme in a different state, or at an earlier time, he would have faced more obstacles.

The suspect, James E. Holmes, bought a semiautomatic assault rifle, two semiautomatic pistols and a 12-gauge shotgun at stores in Colorado and 6,000 rounds of ammunition online along with a 100-round magazine. He did so after easily obtaining a permit at a gun store, since he had no criminal record.

In California and Massachusetts, most assault rifles and large-capacity ammunition magazines are banned, as they were across the country from 1994 to 2004 by federal law. Before a 1986 change in the law, ammunition could not be legally sent by mail.

And if Mr. Holmes had tried to buy his guns in New Jersey, he would have had to apply to local law enforcement agencies or the state police — not to a gun shop — and answer questions about personal history, including whether he had ever been “observed by a psychiatrist” for “a mental condition,” even a temporary one, and to waive all confidentiality. His behavior, which some have described as erratic in recent months, might have raised concern.

“For people who are somewhat disturbed or behave oddly under stress, such an application process becomes another screen to weed them out,” said Paul S. Appelbaum, a professor of psychiatry, medicine and law at Columbia University.

Few issues — the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and climate change come to mind — have as extensive or tortured a history of entrenched disagreement as the relationship between violence and gun control laws does. Feuding scholarly traditions, each backed by statistical analysis, assert either that tighter laws reduce killing or have nothing to do with it.

And while gun ownership rates and gun restrictions have declined over the past 50 years, murder rates have risen and fallen. Today, with fewer gun control laws in place than 20 years ago, homicide rates are down.

What can be asserted is that the states with the strictest gun laws — Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York — have among the lowest gun death rates, according to figures from the federal Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, and those with the most lenient laws — Alabama, Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi — have among the highest.

Whether there is any causal relationship between the two remains in dispute, as does whether more deaths can be attributed to the availability of more guns.

Philip J. Cook, a professor of public policy at Duke University, put it this way: “My research over 35 years demonstrates that the effect of gun availability is not to increase the crime rate but to intensify the crime that exists and convert assaults into murders. I have never seen evidence that gun access influences the volume of violent crime. But when you add guns to a violent situation, you get a higher level of murder.”

That may seem an unassailable conclusion: When angry or disturbed people are armed with, say, knives rather than guns, they cause fewer deaths. And indeed, Mr. Cook is not alone in drawing it. An extensive review of the scholarly literature by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center found that where there were more guns there was more homicide, both across the United States and throughout other high-income nations.

But Gary Kleck, a professor of criminal justice at Florida State University, believes that guns do not bring murder; murder brings guns.

“There is unanimous evidence that higher homicide rates lead to people getting more guns,” he said, in part because people arm themselves for protection. “But our statistical analysis finds no homicide effect of more guns.”

Asked about the lower homicide rates in states like New York and Massachusetts, he said that they had lower rates of violence before any gun control laws were put into effect.

“It’s like comparing the United States and England,” he said. “Neither had gun laws before about 1920, and England had a homicide rate about one-eighth of the United States’.”

Mr. Kleck does not disagree that in Massachusetts or New Jersey, faced with law enforcement screening, Mr. Holmes would have found it harder to get his gun permit. But he opposes such a system because he does not trust the police to decide who should own a gun.

“I am not comfortable with their deciding whether others can have guns or not,” he said. “Police think the ideal is for them to be armed and for the rest of us not to be. I don’t see it that way.”

Efforts to measure whether gun control laws reduce homicide have produced little. In fact, Professor Cook of Duke said that he and a colleague examined the impact of the Brady Law, signed with great fanfare by President Bill Clinton in 1993 and requiring background checks before a firearm can be bought from a federally licensed dealer. They found virtually no reduction in homicide after the law was put into effect.

Professor Cook said, however, that many guns are bought and sold outside that system, making the data hard to evaluate.

This is a point made by nearly all researchers, that gun laws have generally been so poorly enforced with so many loopholes that judging their effectiveness has been enormously challenging. Even if Mr. Holmes had been blocked from buying a specific model of assault rifle in California, Massachusetts or New York State, he would most likely have been able to buy a similar gun not covered by the law.

Efforts to renew a federal ban on assault weapons or large-capacity ammunition magazines have gone nowhere. Americans have grown increasingly mistrustful of gun control, viewing it as ineffective.

Daniel W. Webster, co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore, still believes that the laws in a number of states have proved themselves.

He published a widely cited study in 2009 that found that states with strong gun dealer regulations and oversight as well as tight sale permits had less diversion of guns to criminals. States without such measures had more guns diverted to an illegal context, typically within a year of sale.

In a new study he plans to publish soon, he found that the same sorts of accountability measures helped prevent guns from going across state lines to criminals; states without such measures ended up exporting more guns into the hands of criminals.

“What keeps guns from criminals?” he asked. “Good gun control clearly does, and the lack of it facilitates diversion. All of the research shows that availability of guns is important. If a guy goes into a theater with a knife or a club, that is very different than if he goes in with a gun. Guns matter.”
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
so dude fail an exam and that send him over the edge. could happen to anyone.

“It’s like comparing the United States and England,” he said. “Neither had gun laws before about 1920, and England had a homicide rate about one-eighth of the United States’.”

how to explain that?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: 14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater, police chief says
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
more carnage again........ and people still fighting dong talk of stronger gun laws...........oh yeah guns doh kill people ::) ..........steups
I pity the fool....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
more carnage again........ and people still fighting dong talk of stronger gun laws...........oh yeah guns doh kill people ::) ..........steups

If everyone was praying with they gun on they waist he would not have killed so many.

Believe in God but put your Faith in guns.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
Guns don't kill anyone. People do! But I believe in much stricter gun control and heavy sentences for those without permits. As far as I'm concerned, if you own an illegal gun, it's because you're prepared to use it.

That said, even if you get guns off the streets, people will use knives, baseball bats, petrol bombs, you name it. The real challenge is to stop people wanting to kill each other, and that nasty side of the human has been embedded in humans since they were living in caves.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »
Guns don't kill anyone. People do! But I believe in much stricter gun control and heavy sentences for those without permits. As far as I'm concerned, if you own an illegal gun, it's because you're prepared to use it.

That said, even if you get guns off the streets, people will use knives, baseball bats, petrol bombs, you name it. The real challenge is to stop people wanting to kill each other, and that nasty side of the human has been embedded in humans since they were living in caves.

the only problem is most times these incidents are perpetrated by legal gun owners that either simply trip off or on their way to tripping off this is the US we talkin bout and is no scene to have ah arsenal in yuh house....yes yuh could kill people wit anyting at anytime but d average american can plan and execute mass murder at anytime with d greatest of ease.......dat is a special kinda crime dread, ah special kinda crime dat too damn easy to commit............it have people in d states shouldn't have second amendment rights
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:14:10 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »
The real challenge is to stop people wanting to kill each other

FS, this thing going since "Cain kill AbeL" you think it go stop now.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »

the only problem is most times these incidents are perpetrated by legal gun owners that either simply trip off or on their way to tripping off this is the US we talkin bout and is no scene to have ah arsenal in yuh house....yes yuh could kill people wit anyting at anytime but d average american can plan and execute mass murder at anytime with d greatest of ease.......dat is a special kinda crime dread, ah special kinda crime dat too damn easy to commit............it have people in d states shouldn't have second amendment rights

Allyuh don't know how the NRA does frighten them congrssmen into voting against any gun laws. Even if the law make sense the NRA does say no. But more people have to die before they pass legislation. Unfortunately. So dear forumites in the US, always be on alert.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »
There was also another shooting spree yesterday with innocent people dead.

Gunman, six others dead at Wisconsin Sikh templeBy the CNN Wire Staff

Oak Creek, Wisconsin (CNN) -- The FBI will investigate Sunday's rampage at a Sikh temple in a Milwaukee suburb as a "domestic terrorist-type incident" that left at least six people and the gunman dead, the town's police chief said.

Another three people were wounded, including the first officer to respond to the scene, Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards said. A second officer returned fire, killing the suspect, according to the chief.

All three wounded -- one of whom was shot in the abdomen and chest, another in the extremities and face and the third in the neck -- were in critical condition Sunday night at Milwaukee's Froedtert Hospital, the hospital said in a statement.

Terror, tragedy for tight-knit Sikh community

The congregation's president was among the wounded, his nephew said.

Emergency calls in temple shooting

Gunman opens fire in Sikh temple

Police at scene of Sikh temple shooting

Temple member describes shooting And another man told the CNN affiliate WTMJ, "Nobody's angry here. We're just confused. Was this a random act? Was this directed at us because of the way we look?"

Authorities have not identified the gunman by name, though Thomas Ahern, a spokesman with the ATF's Chicago division, described him as a white male roughly 40 years of age. No connection has been established between the shooter and the temple, he added.

Like other officials, Ahern said authorities have not determined a motive, adding "we are a long way away from that right now." Teresa Carlson, special agent in charge at the FBI's Milwaukee division, said late Sunday that investigators are still assessing whether this "might be an act of domestic terrorism, no motive has been determined at this time."

The Sikh religion originated in northern India around 1500 and has about 25 million followers, 700,000 of them in the United States, according to the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

Sikhs tout equality, service to others

Because of their customary beards and turbans, Sikh men are often confused for Hindus or Muslims -- and have been the targets of hate crimes since the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington, said Surinder Singh, a spokesman for the Guru Nanak Mission Society of Atlanta.

Several Sikh leaders and members recalled Sunday the killing of a Sikh man in Arizona in apparent retaliation for the attacks that had been carried out days earlier by the Islamic terrorist group al Qaeda, as well as other less severe crimes targeting the group over the past decade.

Community continue to blend in and stand out

"There's always an apprehension and a sense of fear that this kind of incident will take place anywhere, anytime," said Rajwant Singh, chairman of the Sikh Council on Religion and Education.

Sunday's attack occurred about 10:30 a.m. (11:30 a.m. ET), when temple members were reading scriptures and cooking food in preparation for the main Sunday service and community lunch, said Kanwardeep Singh Kaleka, a member of the congregation and the nephew of its president.

Kaleka was not at the temple at the time of the shooting, but helped police interview witnesses in the aftermath. He said members described the attacker as a bald, white man, dressed in a white T-shirt and black pants and with a 9/11 tattoo on one arm -- which "implies to me that there's some level of hate crime there."

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation confirmed the shooter was wearing a white T-shirt and did not have a bulletproof vest.

Witnesses: This is sad, devastating

Temple spokesman: Hostages held inside

Police at scene of Sikh temple shooting Kaleka said the gunman started shooting in the parking lot, "then entered into the temple and proceeded to open fire."

"It seems the few casualties that have been divulged to me have been the equivalent of priests, the holy leaders of our people," he said. "My uncle is one of the administrators of the temple. It's mainly those individuals who have been targeted or shot. Maybe it's because the ladies were fortunate enough to dodge it out, but so far most of the people I've heard have been shot and killed were all turbaned males."

Police searched the suspect's home, "a short distance" from the temple, on Sunday evening, according to a law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the investigation. A single 9mm semi-automatic pistol believed to have been used by the gunman was found at the scene, along with the wounded officer's weapon, the source said.

Initial reports were that there may have been multiple attackers, but police found no indication of another gunman, said Bradley Wentlandt, the police chief in nearby Greenfield.

The Oak Creek temple, or gurdwara, opened in 2007 and has a congregation of more than 350. Family members gathered outside told WTMJ that survivors were being taken to a nearby bowling alley so they could be interviewed by police.

"Our dear ones and near ones are injured and hurt, and we are trying to find out what happened," said Darshan Dhaliwal, a congregation leader.

Congregation president Satwant Kaleka was shot and wounded when he attempted to tackle the gunman, his son, Amardeep Kaleka told WTMJ. His mother -- who hid in a closet during the violence -- was too distraught to talk, he said.

State Rep. Josh Zepnick said many members of the Milwaukee area's Sikh community are among his constituents and described himself as being "torn to shreds" by the attack.

"It's a very peace-loving community that has successfully integrated and assimilated into the metropolitan Milwaukee area," Zepnick told WTMJ.

And state Rep. Mark Honadel, whose district includes the temple, called the attack "craziness."

"Unfortunately, when this type of stuff hits your area, you say to yourself, 'Why?' But in today's society, I don't think there's any place that's free from idiots," Honadel said.

The American branch of the World Sikh Council, meanwhile, said Sunday was "a troubling day, not only for Sikh-Americans, but also for all Americans."

Sikhs in U.S. and India react to the rampage

"We urge all to pray for the victims, their families and friends, and the surrounding community," the group said. "We also express our gratitude towards the law enforcement authorities for their prompt and effective response to the situation as it unfolded."

National and state political leaders -- including Gov. Scott Walker -- also offered condolence after the killings, which came two weeks after a massacre at a Colorado movie theater that left 12 dead and dozens more wounded.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney called the slaying "a senseless act of violence and a tragedy that should never befall any house of worship."

And from the White House, President Barack Obama said the United States had been "enriched" by Sikhs, "who are a part of our broader American family."

"My administration will provide whatever support is necessary to the officials who are responding to this tragic shooting and moving forward with an investigation," Obama said.

Rajwant Singh, from the Sikh Council on Religion and Education, put the onus on politicians, the media, academics and non-profit leaders to educate Americans about diverse groups and act "to lessen this kind of rage." He called it a tragedy Sikhs, growing up in the United States feel as if they don't belong in this country after incidents such as this.

"Everybody should feel at home," he said. "This nation belongs to everyone."

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
considering de US military is a PRIMARY contact point for mentally 4ked-up killers, dey could do a little more than they did for this a**hole. dey could step up in a bigger way to be more socially responsible. dey shoulda send some of these to clear landmines or IEDs. instead is "(dis)honourable discharge" which seem like another way of dusting dey hand and saying "not my problem". dey dumping dem into a society that barely have a social safety net to handle a very specific problem.

tt, airman, yuh come across any of dese fellas in your travels?

==

Military, music marked temple suspect's path to Wisconsin

Oak Creek, Wisconsin (CNN) -- Soldier. Singer. Skinhead.

Investigators spent Monday trying to figure out what led 40-year-old Wade Michael Page from repairing missiles for the Army to a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee, where he was killed by police at the end of a Sunday morning rampage.

The shaven-headed Page, whose tattoos included the Celtic cross adopted by white supremacist groups, had been the front man for a white-power rock band called "End Apathy" for several years. Two former neighbors identified him from photos on the band's MySpace page.

His path appears to have taken him from Colorado to Milwaukee, where he enlisted in the Army in 1992; back to Colorado; to North Carolina, where he started the band; and then back to the Milwaukee area, where he had been "a short time" before the shootings, Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards told reporters Monday.

The Army trained Page first as a mechanic for the Hawk anti-aircraft missile system, then as a psychological warfare specialist. He rose to the rank of sergeant before losing a stripe due to "patterns of misconduct," according to a Pentagon official who spoke on condition of anonymity. In October 1998, he received a general discharge under honorable conditions, the official said.

Christopher Robillard of Oregon, who described Page as "my closest friend" in the service more than a decade ago, said Page was pushed out of the military for showing up to formation drunk.

He described Page as "a very kind, very smart individual -- loved his friends. One of those guys with a soft spot." But even then, Page "was involved with white supremacy," Robillard said.

"He would talk about the racial holy war, like he wanted it to come," Robillard said. "But to me, he didn't seem like the type of person to go out and hurt people."

Later Monday, Robillard told CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" that Page likely sought attention to his beliefs "because he was always the loner type of person. Even in a group of people, he would be off alone."

Teresa Carlson, the special agent in charge of the FBI's Milwaukee office, said investigators have been told Page may have been involved with the white supremacist movement, but that hadn't been confirmed. No motive for Sunday's attack had been established, but the FBI was investigating whether the killings at the Sikh temple were an act of domestic terrorism, she said.

Page moved back to Denver after his discharge, where he had a tough time in civilian life "and was basically living on the street," Robillard said. It was during that period that Page joined a "racist band" and started to get his body inked, his Army buddy told CNN.

"I asked him why he was aligning himself with this stuff," Robillard said. "He really didn't answer. He would duck it."

Page had a girlfriend who left him for another member of the band, which then kicked him out, Robillard said. The last time they saw each other -- more than 10 years ago -- Robillard said Page was on a motorcycle trip across the country.

It was a trip Page recounted in 2010, in an online interview about his band End Apathy. He founded it in in the small town of Nashville in eastern North Carolina, where he ended up after bouncing around the country from California to West Virginia.

"I am originally from Colorado and had always been independent, but back in 2000 I set out to get involved and wanted to basically start over," he said.

The band put out at least two recordings through a label that promoted them on the neo-Nazi website Stormfront. In a 2010 interview posted online, Page said his lyrics "vary from sociological issues, religion, and how the value of human life has been degraded by being submissive to tyranny and hypocrisy that we are subjugated to."

End Apathy played gigs in North Carolina and in the Midwest, he said. While Page shared the stage with many similar bands, he wasn't a movement leader and doesn't appear to have been involved in any criminal acts, said Mark Potok, who tracks hate groups for the Southern Poverty Law Center in Alabama.

Nevertheless, Potok called Page "a neo-Nazi skinhead in the very thick of the white supremacist movement."

In a statement posted on its website Monday, the band's imprint, Label 56, said it had removed "all images and products related to End Apathy."

"We have worked hard over the years to promote a positive image and have posted many articles encouraging people to take a positive path in life, to abstain from drugs, alcohol, and just general behavior that can affect ones life negatively," the company said.

"We do not wish to profit from this tragedy financially or with publicity," it added. "In closing, please do not take what Wade did as honorable or respectable and please do not think we are all like that."

It wasn't clear Monday what brought Page back to Wisconsin, where he lived first with a girlfriend, then on his own.

David Brown, a former neighbor in a South Milwaukee apartment building, said Page would frequently lift weights and occasionally leave home with a guitar. But every time he tried to talk to his neighbor, Brown said, he would just grunt and walk on by.

And a former landlord, Kurt Weins, told CNN that Page worked nights at a welding supply business and had recently broken up with a girlfriend when he signed his lease.

"He was quiet. I saw no violence in him," said Weins, who has been questioned by federal agents since Sunday's killings.

"The feds asked me how he paid, whether he had weapons. I had no idea he had weapons," he said.

Robillard said he knows Page's name will now be inextricably linked with hate and bloodshed, "but that's not how I remember him."

"It's the racial holy war talk I always took as something he would vent about, and not act on it," he said. "I never pictured him as someone who would do anything. I thought maybe he was just saying it for attention."

1]; } ?>