March 29, 2024, 03:35:09 AM

Author Topic: The Sharks: Central FC Thread  (Read 170862 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: The Sharks: Central FC Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »

I love the Sharks name. It's really caught on here. It may be a bit NFL, but we need to inject some kind of excitement into the club branding. It's more relevant than Caledonia being called Stallions and Joe Public being known as Lions. The whole marketing and promotional opportunity that goes with the nickname includes a kids story about Sharkie, there will be Baby Shark merchandise and of course, The Sharkettes.

It may not be traditional football fare, but trust me, traditional does not work here!!

Hope that helps a little!

Actually it's very NHL.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »

I love the Sharks name. It's really caught on here. It may be a bit NFL, but we need to inject some kind of excitement into the club branding. It's more relevant than Caledonia being called Stallions and Joe Public being known as Lions. The whole marketing and promotional opportunity that goes with the nickname includes a kids story about Sharkie, there will be Baby Shark merchandise and of course, The Sharkettes.

It may not be traditional football fare, but trust me, traditional does not work here!!

Actually it's very NHL.

Nah, Hockey is a girls sport where I come from lol. I was referring to NFL...Raiders, Steelers etc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
FS, what's the problem with balls?

We use them for 5 first team sessions, 2 reserve 2 sessions and the 3 youth teams every week. Their life span is 8-10 weeks!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Central FC is dead last in the Reserve League after 5 games.

Sam, I like the way they respect you because when I said I hate the name Sharks they jumped on me.

Baby Sharks...  :rotfl: :rotfl:

And I was hoping it was you who was locked up in the U.S.  :rotfl:

Next thing you'll be saying you can't make money out of a sponge with buck teeth wearing a tie. :-*

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
Sorry to hear no business from central is interested. Blood suckers. If the overseas coaching cost that much, allyuh better for get them. We need the money more than them. As I told Fyzoman and Pointman, I read where Shell bought out REPSOL. Shell used to sponsor Civic Center in the 60s. Allyuh better jump the gun and ask Shell for a sponsor. Just a crazy thought.

I know we spoke to one of the oil companies but they only sponsor teams within their immediate location. We've had some help from some Central companies with our youth teams, but it's the lack of govt money thats hurting us.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
In my opinion it would be difficult to compete as a pro club in Trinidad without unlimited funding.This business would be more likely to fail because there isn't a real market for this product.
 I feel that if somebody wants to have a Pro team, a study of the marketplace should be done..then invest in the community by having community activities involving families ..this helps market the  brand. Start a youth program and again get families involved ..this will create loyalty to the brand.
 Win all or most competitions at the youth level ..this will make the brand synonymous with winning..then the last thing to do is form the Pro team ..building around a special player..a foreign professional. The fan base that have already been  created  i.e the familes would come out to see the pro team play as a family event...the loyalty is already built in.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »
In my opinion it would be difficult to compete as a pro club in Trinidad without unlimited funding.This business would be more likely to fail because there isn't a real market for this product.
 I feel that if somebody wants to have a Pro team, a study of the marketplace should be done..then invest in the community by having community activities involving families ..this helps market the  brand. Start a youth program and again get families involved ..this will create loyalty to the brand.
 Win all or most competitions at the youth level ..this will make the brand synonymous with winning..then the last thing to do is form the Pro team ..building around a special player..a foreign professional. The fan base that have already been  created  i.e the familes would come out to see the pro team play as a family event...the loyalty is already built in.

Not a bad plan, Coache. But you still need funding mate. You need equipment for the youths and coaches need paying. Someone needs to run everything and get paid. It costs a lot to build a brand, so you need that money too! Then you need a facility that you can rely on, somewhere to store everything, transport, water, ice, coolers, physio etc.

Ask Anthony Sherwood how much it costs to run his project. So, unless you can get significant sponsors you would be forced to charge kids $100 plus to attend. Community activities cost money too. Even taking our youth teams and the kids from the orphanage to the F.A. Trophy final costs money.

The Pro League would be superb if we can convince supporters to come to games. In my opinion, when we talk about working with youths, one thing we can do is teach them how to support local teams. Every kid we've brought to a game loves it. The problem is that their parents can't be bothered to bring them back. I had 4 kids want to come tomorrow, but none of their parents will carry them. We're just passing on the negativity to the next generation, and this negativity will have  consequences, not just for football, but for our society.

We have to give kids something to believe in, something permanent in their lives, something to aspire to and something to be proud of.

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ˇHala Madrid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
Are you still training in Pres College Chag grounds? They have a thriving Alumni who basically have the backing of the Central business community.. Why not partner with the College to help them improve their School team / take some of their players into your junior teams, in exchange for some Alumni funding?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »

Actually it's very NHL.

Nah, Hockey is a girls sport where I come from lol. I was referring to NFL...Raiders, Steelers etc

Come visit San Jose some time and I'll show you around how the Sharks brand has proliferated here. Of the other major league sports only the 49ers hold a candle now that they are moving down to this area from SF. There's teal everywhere.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »

They have none, apparently.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »

Actually it's very NHL.

Yeah... it's not at all NFL, but then again, neither are the Dolphins.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2013, 10:04:58 PM »

They have none, apparently.

You could pass that one, eh! ;D  I was going to say that, but for some reason I held back.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »
Are you still training in Pres College Chag grounds? They have a thriving Alumni who basically have the backing of the Central business community.. Why not partner with the College to help them improve their School team / take some of their players into your junior teams, in exchange for some Alumni funding?

We have some Pres players in our teams. Can't train there at moment because of cricket, but we still partnering with them.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1dGv2Chh9Mo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1dGv2Chh9Mo</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2013, 06:10:01 PM »
You could pass that one, eh! ;D  I was going to say that, but for some reason I held back.

All in good fun...

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
If I had a million dollars I would never start a Pro club..it makes no sense..not in Trinidad not anywhere on this planet.
Now if you want to get in the business of football..start a transitional club ..not professional club.. where players on the fringes of becoming Pro could get some help then make some money if you sell some players.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
Miss the game ... Hard to get round TT , especially when yuh doh know where yuh going

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
Miss the game ... Hard to get round TT , especially when yuh doh know where yuh going

If you're around on Weds, Central are playing W. Connection at Ato Boldon. I belive k.o. is 6pm

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
Justin Fojo is he still with central ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

No, his contract expired and he is pursuing opportunities overseas.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »

I have heard things about from a youth player. What is your assessment of him?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »

seen clips of him he looks good hopes he gets a chance with the national team ... is he heading back to the USA ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »

seen clips of him he looks good hopes he gets a chance with the national team ... is he heading back to the USA ?

He's a solid player. Maybe a good replacement for Birchall, though more defensive. Think he was planning to go to the States.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Central brings new Shark from Singapore
« Reply #294 on: April 07, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
Fabien Lewis is now with Filipino club, Kaya FC, who campaign in the First Division of the United Football League.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 25, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Gp7WqTVlQU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9Gp7WqTVlQU</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
We had no doubt that our biggest challenge in our first season was to establish a brand that could compete, off the field, with clubs like W, Cali and N.E. We knew we wouldn't win the league, hoped we may win a cup and aimed to uncover young talent especially from Central.

Did we achieve our aims? Well, we lost a cup final and finished 5th, but we certainly gave the "big boys" a game or two. We signed Mitchell in January and he was playing for the National team in March. Rundell Winchester will be a massive player. We selected 16, 17 and 18 year old unknowns in our Senior Squad and they will be signing for us.

But off the field, we have made huge progress. People from Central recognise our brand, and so does Corporate T&T.

For a football club to hold an event attended by T&T's top business women, with the vice President of the Senate and the deputy speaker of the House and the Minister of Justice leaving parliament to deliver a speech, is a huge achievement.

What we do off the field is equally as important as what happens on the field. The road to becoming financially self sufficient is not straight forward, and it's very hard to avoid politics, but if our football is to grow, this is the only way to make it happen. Winning the F.A. Trophy may have given us some glory, but it would not have moved us forward the way this event has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4dFpuxIIo

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »
The Central FC lesson to T&T.
By Vinode Mamchan (Guardian).

After just ten months in existence Central FC has achieved so much that I am moved to write that the young kid on the block has now become the teacher.

A creditable mid-table finish in their inaugural season in the T&T Pro League, semifinal play in the FA and the formation of three youth teams are big enough but what has impressed me is the vision of the club’s leaders that has led to football gaining a second life in the previously dormant central area.

Central FC has ignited a passion for football among the youths in central that is unbelievable. I must say the respect I had for former Soca Warriors defender Brent Sancho has shot up sky-high limits after seeing what this local footballing visionary has been able to do from the Caroni plains to the sandy Claxton Bay area.

Initially schooled in the dynamics of football and football administration in Europe, Sancho wanted to give back and my word he has been giving back aplenty.

After parting ways with North East Stars where he made quite an impression, Sancho decided to go to the untouched central area and unearth talent that he believed was there. After months of slicing through the pile he has reported that there is an abundance of talent that just needs to be harnessed. Now this football factory called Central FC is turning out high-quality players from every age group.

Only a mad man would have ventured into starting up a professional club is very trying times but Sancho with his diplomatic style was able to win over many influential fans to assist with his development.

Firstly, his man the English-born Kevin Harrison shared the vision with him and they packed bags and just like Anthony Harford had done for Preysal Sports in cricket, they headed to the central plains. Today they are no less centralised than any of the residents from down there. Sancho was able to win over the confidence of Super Industrial Services (SIS) Limited and has been partnering with the company as one of the major sponsors of the club to transform the look of football in central.

SIS has been at his side, walking hand-in-hand with the club and taking it even further by going into the communities. The work on the field is transformed off the field as well, and Central FC has been doing loads of social work in the area.

Money is not plentiful for the youthful club but ideas are and they have been able through meaningful partnerships, to assist many citizens from the central area. So while the players battle opponents on the field, Sancho and staff battle the social ills in the area as well.

Just two weeks, they held a very successful “Treat her like a Lady” event for women from the Rape Crisis Centre. They took them to the Trinidad Hilton and treated them to good food, wine, music and gifts, just to show that they cared. Where can you find a football club doing so much in this country and even the region. It takes vision and passion and Sancho, Harrison and the boys possess a lot of that.

There is still more work to be done but Central FC is willing to continue. One of the biggest accomplishments in my opinion is the fact that they have now widened the available talent pool for the national selectors. They have been able to go into remote areas like Crown Trace and unearth football talent.

Central FC has served as a talent scout for the T&T Football Federation (TTFF) without being asked to. The young ones can now play the game at a good level, be exposed to the professional football environment and get that opportunity to make a name for themselves in the sport.

It has been a case of the tail wagging the dog because when I look at some of the initiatives of the club, I think that the TTFF should be doing this. Central FC plays in the T&T Pro League but has done more marketing for the league in terms of their presence all over, doing positive work, then even the league’s officials.

Central FC is showing the way. We might live in a developing country but this football club in the heart of the Industrial Estate is showing the nation what it takes to become first world. Service to humanity is service to God and this young club has put a smile on many faces in central Trinidad that must be pleasing to the master.

One hopes that his blessings can come showering down for the good guys at Central FC because it is institutions like this one that would take our country forward. We need to join with them in their vision for a better community and use sport as they have done to bring the communities into the light.
Well done guys, the sky is the limit.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2013, 06:00:36 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:   ahmmmm, no kits yet huh?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »
:applause: :applause: :applause:   ahmmmm, no kits yet huh?

LOl. Hardly made it to the end of the season (had to adapt a few numbers near the end there). Hopefully, we'll order a few extra this season but we don't have the luxury of keeping stocks of jerseys at the moment.

1]; } ?>