Sports > Olympic Discussion

London Olympics Men and Women's 4x100m and 4x400m Relay Thread!

(1/69) > >>

Socapro:
This thread is all about maximising our realy team’s chances of medalling and also keeping an eye on our main competition in the relays so we are not caught by surprise.

Here is some news on what the USA 4x100m squad has been aiming at regards their relay preparations.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120724/sports/sports4.html

USA targets JA's 4x100m world record
Published: Tuesday | July 24, 2012
André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

BIRMINGHAM, England:

American 4x100m lead-off runner, Trell Kimmons, believes his team is ready to challenge Jamaica's recent dominance of the event and is certain that they have the ability within their ranks to become the first team that runs under 37 seconds.

The United States (US) have been the dominant force in international sprint relays, winning 15 of the 22 men's 4x100m finals contested at the Olympic Games, while Jamaica's only gold medal came four years ago in Beijing.

However, after lowering the world record to 37.10 in Beijing with a team of Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell, the Jamaican's went on to win a year later at the 2009 IAAF World Championships in Athletics in Berlin, before smashing their own record at last year's World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, with a 37.04 clocking.

That team, which comprised all members of the 2008 team except Asafa Powell, who was replaced by Yohan Blake, enter the Olympic Games as huge favourites for the gold medal and in fact a new world record.

Kimmons, however, thinks differently and believes it's the Americans who will cross the line first in London in sub-37 seconds.

"37.04 is definitely beatable, I think we (USA) can go as fast as 36.9," Kimmons told The Gleaner yesterday from his team's training base at Alexander University.

The Americans have done themselves no favour in recent times.

Zone violation

Darvis Patton collided with British athlete Aikines-Aryeetey in the final in Daegu and was unable to get the baton to anchorman Walter Dix and in 2008 he could not get the stick to Tyson Gay at the Beijing Olympics. An exchange zone violation at the 2009 Berlin World Champion-ships makes it four years and three major championships since the Americans last completed a men's 4x100m final.

"We have been working really hard, there is still quite a few work to be done with the guys on the relay and once we sort that out I think we can take a shot at that world record," said Kimmons.

"We just need to communicate some more. Of course, some stuff happened in the past, but we have to make it right when it matters," Kimmons added.

"Things are going real good, everything is good and everyone is in good shape. I am the driver for the relay team and as the lead-off man, your team has to be confident in your start and your composure. The team believes in me and I'm ready to go and give the team the best possible start in London," said Kimmons.

Socapro:
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,163745.html

TT sprinters focus on relays
Monday, July 23 2012

TRINIDAD and Tobago sprinters focussed on baton passing yesterday, particularly the men and women 4x100-metres relay teams, during their pre- Olympic camp at the Wales Track and Field Stadium.

Dexter Voisin, manager of the TT athletic team for the London Olympic Games, made this disclosure during a brief interview yesterday from the team’s base at the Vale Resort in Hensol, Wales.

“Kelly Ann (Baptiste), Richard (Thompson) and (Keston) Bledman joined the camp,” said Voisin. “Both relay teams, the 4x100m women and men, worked (yesterday) afternoon and did their first session of baton passing.”

The Stadium is located 15 minutes away from the Vale Resort.

Asked if the athletes, particularly Baptiste and Bledman, were suffering with jet lag after arriving on the camp yesterday morning, Voisin stressed, “they weren’t jet-lagged.

Everybody came just within an hour (on their) flight.

“Kelly Ann and Bledman came from Amsterdam (in Netherlands) which is just an hour (from Wales). So there was no jet lag.

Voisin continued, “the session went well and, as the manager of the team, (I’ll say) the coaches were pleased with the session (yesterday) afternoon.”

Concerning today’s plans, Voisin said, “we leave the camp on Wednesday so we have two days down here at the Wales training camp.

“(Today) they go back to their individual programmes and on Tuesday we have baton passing practice again,” he ended.

Socapro:
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Serrette_expects_relay_success-163262916.html

Serrette expects relay success
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jul 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM ECT

National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president, Ephraim Serrette is anticipating relay success at the July 27-August 12 Olympic Games, in London, England.

Trinidad and Tobago will field teams in the men's 4x100 metres, women's 4x100m and men's 4x400m events.

Serrette told the Express he does not like making predictions, but is confident all three relay teams will do well. The former sprinter is particularly excited about T&T's 4x4 prospects.

"The men's 4x4, from my knowledge, I think they have a better chance than the other relays."

At last month's National Championships, Renny Quow, Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon and Deon Lendore combined for a new national record, the T&T quartet stopping the clock at three minutes, 00.45 seconds. Gordon and Solomon subsequently improved their personal best clockings in the individual 400m. Gordon produced a 45.02 seconds run in Nebraska, USA, while Solomon clocked 45.31 in Bottrop, Germany.

"With the recent performances of the quarter-milers, we should do well."

Serrette said Keston Bledman's injury is not serious, and that he expects the national sprint champion to be a serious contender for a men's 100m medal at the London Games. The NAAA president is also anticipating success for Kelly-Ann Baptiste in the women's 100m.

Serrette said javelin thrower Keshorn Walcott's participation at the Games is a significant development for T&T track and field. Last week, in Barcelona, Spain, Walcott captured the world junior title.

"As a junior athlete, making the final 12 at the Olympics would be a major achievement. It would open doors for other athletes in an event we're not traditionally strong in. It's not just about sprinting. We've been having the Multi-event Championships to expose athletes to all the events."

T&T will be represented by 30 athletes at the London Games, including 25 in track and field. Serrette said this is due in part to the development work being done by the NAAA.

Socapro:
Aviator posted this in the T&T Realitic Finals and Medal Chances thread....

--- Quote from: Aviator on July 25, 2012, 02:10:25 PM ---BUMP AGAIN!!!....LOL

I want to bring back attention to our male 4x1 team. They represent the country's best and most likely chance of bringing back a medal in T&F. Out of all the teams/individuals entered, they are the only ones that do not have more that 2 teams/individuals ranked ahead of them.

Anyways with all that said, I think we should shake up the apple cart a little. I know Richard has been anchoring for the past few years, but until further notice, Bledman has clearly displaced him as #1 trini. Bledman has lead off a few times, but has never been able to make any real dent in any of our major opponents(USA, JAM) on that first leg and if I recall correctly has given up distance. Curve running is not his thing and its about time those in charge of the relay recognize that. Richard IMO is the best starter/turn runner that we have and I believe he should lead off. Nesta Carter and Trell Kimmons will not do to RT what they did to Bledman last year. However Bledman should comfortably match anything RT has ever done on anchor leg.

So I propose: Richard-Burns-Callendar-Bledman. Let Sorrillio pop off in the heat, so he will get a medal

With clean hand-offs that squad is definitely capable of going sub-37.50, which put us in silver medal territory.

Discuss!!

--- End quote ---

And I posted the related reply below....

Socapro:

--- Quote from: Aviator on July 25, 2012, 02:25:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Deeks on July 25, 2012, 02:14:48 PM ---You don't think it is a little late to do that. Or maybe that idea maybe the secret weapon thay will unleash to the WORLD. ;D

--- End quote ---

Nah not to late. Any comprehensive relay training session involves both giving and receiving the baton. No to mention 3/4 of the final four re only running the 100m, so the will have a good 4-5 days to practice. In addition changing the 1st or last leg is not too complicated, because it only involves one exchange. So it should not be too hard for Bledos and RIP to switch roles.

--- End quote ---
Good idea!

I think our 4x100m relay team should do practice runs with Bledman leading off and RT anchoring and then alternative practice runs with RT leading off and Bledman anchoring and we can work out which version persistently gives our team the quicker relay times with each runner also being timed for their individual legs. Target time being 37.50 or less once we execute smooth clean baton changes.

PS:
It will also be a good exercise to help sharpen up our women 4x100m relay team if they run against our men's 4x100m relay team with a 5 second gap lead off!!
For the women to beat the men they would probably have to run a sub 42s time and for the men to beat the women they would probably have to run sub 37.50 or less!

Btw Sorrillo did a decent job on first leg at the recent Grand Prix in London with a 0.126 recation time, see video. Very nice run by the guys and clean exchanges with RT saying afterwards that our exchanges can be improved.

Trinidad & Tobago wins Men's 4x100m Relay - LondonSDL2012
http://www.youtube.com/v/6FltrEu1juU
Results:
1 TRINIDAD & TOBAGO TRI 38.23 0.126 (Sorrillo->Burns->Callender->Thompson)
2 NETHERLANDS NED 38.70 0.146
3 POLAND POL 38.78 0.152
4 GREAT BRITAIN & NI A GBR 38.80 0.153
5 MVP TRACK CLUB JAM 38.82 0.156
6 GREAT BRITAIN & NI B GBR 38.94 0.173
7 FRANCE (with LeMaitre) FRA 38.95 0.217
8 ST KITTS AND NEVIS SKN 39.19 0.171

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version