April 16, 2024, 05:26:14 AM

Author Topic: The Official London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 47875 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Official London 2012 Olympics Thread
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »

I know we have several threads following the activities of TnT athletes at the games already, so this thread is not intended to detract from those other ones, but rather to serve as a repository for all other noteworthy Olympic news and results.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:52:37 AM by Bakes »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Official London 2012 Olympics Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »
London 2012: Greece expel triple jumper over racist Twitter remark

• Voula Papachristou expelled from London 2012 over tweet
• Triple jumper issued apology: 'I respect all people and races'
Guardian staff
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 July 2012 11.46 EDT

Voula Papachristou has been expelled from the Greek Olympic team. Photograph: Str/AFP/Getty Images
The Greece Olympic team have expelled their triple jumper Voula Papachristou after she made a racist remark on Twitter, days before she was due to compete at London 2012.

Papachristou, 23, who was part of the 105-strong Greek team in London, had commented on the widely reported appearance of Nile-virus-carrying mosquitoes in Athens by tweeting: "With so many Africans in Greece, at least the mosquitoes of West Nile will eat homemade food." She subsequently deleted the message.

The comment provoked a furious reaction on Twitter, with responses including: "If you are serious, the Greek Olympic Team should put you on the first plane and send you back", and "Xenophobic comments from a Greek athlete in the Olympic mission are unacceptable. We are ashamed."

An announcement from the Greek Olympic Committee condemned the comment as "contrary to the values ​​and ideals of the Olympic movement".

Papachristou said in a statement: "I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account. I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone, or to encroach human rights.

"My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races.

"I would like to apologise to all my friends and fellow athletes, who I may have insulted or shamed, the National Team, as well as the people and companies who support my athletic career. Finally, I would like to apologize to my coach and my family."

Papachristou's coach, George Pomaski, said the expulsion was unduly harsh. "It's too much, the penalty should not have been so strict. She has already apologised for her remarks.

"This is a big disappointment not only for her but for her family and for myself, and anyone involved in the Greek team."

© 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/25/london-2012-greece-racist-twitter/print

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
ahmm  .. Bakes, yuh have permission to use the Olympic logo in this thread (or is that why you truncated the top of the logo?)  ;)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/07/23/olympic-brand-police-out-in-full-force/

LONDON — As almost everyone in the world must know by now, there may not be enough guards to provide security for the 2012 London Olympics because of a planning and hiring fiasco.

Alas, there are no such concerns about the number of enforcement officers and lawyers charged with checking for violations of the Games’ oppressive brand protection regulations.

The Orwellian-sounding Olympic Deliverance Committee has 280 Olympic brand enforcers authorized by the government fanning across Britain this week to ensure nobody uses the five hallowed rings for any purpose unless they have paid a fortune to Olympic organizers to do so.

The London Organizing Committee (LOCOG) has a second team of zealots doing similar work on behalf of the rich and powerful.

Among the offences these sleuths are ferreting out under the Olympic Games Act (2006) are putting two of the words “games” “2012” “Twenty Twelve,” “gold,” “bronze” or “medal” in the same sentence.

Offenders could be on the hook for fines of more than $30,000.

Heck, there is even said to be a legal ban on spectators uploading personal photos of the London Games onto social networking sites such as Facebook.

Predictably, the British media, which has never seen an underdog it didn’t love, has been in high dudgeon over what it regards as a matter of free speech. The roundup by the authorities has so far implicated an 81-year-old grandmother of six from Norfolk who made a tiny sweater with the Olympics rings for a child’s doll that her knitting circle intended to sell through a church charity for $1.63.

Joy Tomkins was ordered to withdraw the offending doll from sale to avoid possible legal action.

Also at risk of being put in the docket is a south London cafe, which had the temerity to hang five bagels in its window. Community wardens ordered the offending bagels to be removed or legal action would follow.

The parents of the Duchess of Cambridge — Kate Middleton, whose partner, Prince William, may one day rule Britannia — may have run afoul of the law, too. The Middletons’ potential offence was advertising trinkets such as mugs for sale on their catering website using the words “2012” and “Games.” The London Organizing Committee has launched an investigation.

Lord Coe, who as plain Seb Coe was once a world-class middle-distance runner, might be described as “the lord of the rings.”

http://www.london2012.com/documents/brand-guidelines/guidelines-for-non-commercial-use.pdf

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
I not using it for personal or financial gain and all sources are attributed, so I good.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »
wda??
==

Legally blind archer sets Games' first world records

Legally blind archer Im Dong-Hyun set the first world record of the London Olympics on Friday and then added another as South Korea broke the team record.

In the men's preliminary round, held at the Lord's cricket ground, Im scored 699 points from 72 arrows to beat his own record of 696 set in May this year.

Along with Kim Bubmin and Oh Jin-Hyek he also helped register a 216-arrow total of 2,087 -- smashing the world record also set in Turkey in May by 18 points.

The 26-year-old Im from Chungbuk is legally blind in his left eye with 20/200 vision. That means he needs to be 10 times closer to see an object than someone with perfect 20/20 vision. His right eye has 20/100 vision.

He won team gold at the 2004 and 2008 Olympics to add to his four world titles and four Asian Games gold medals.

Despite his records, Im wasn't getting carried away, preferring to concentrate on the push for a gold medal when the competition resumes on Saturday.

"This is just the first round so I will not get too excited by it," he said.

South Korea coach Jang Young-Sool also warned his team against complacency ahead of the medals clash.

"We will have a day of rest now and prepare for tomorrow," said Jang.

Jang's fellow coach Oh Seon-Tek praised the performance of Kim Bubmin who had struggled in practice, but rasied his game on Friday.

"It was a surprise that Kim had done so great in the first half," said Oh.

"It was his first Olympics shooting so I expected some nervous breakdowns but he did a fantastic job for breaking his personal record.

"He didn't even do that good on the practice. I think the training on mind controls have worked with Kim."

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
Maybe he have sonar
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
Lol... legally blind doh mean he cyah see eh.  Ah think they could only see a certain distance... outside ah 25 feet yuh safe.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
Lol... legally blind doh mean he cyah see eh.  Ah think they could only see a certain distance... outside ah 25 feet yuh safe.

still,,is archery...yuh eyesight hadda be eagle good
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »
I watchin this openin ceremony dis ting REAL lackin.....someting or everyting oui
mr bean runnin in ah chariots of fire 'skit' is entertainment?

or maybe I comparin it to the opening show from china too much

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »
I now come to post that I feel I was spoiled by the opening ceremony in China...

This production just too lacking in uniformity and complexity for me. No real wow moments or choreographed routines, alot of people just walking out in the melee.. My bro just pull up a skit from Beijing opening ceremony on youtube and is chalk and cheese.

Also, allyuh check the one token black man in every historical skit. The industrial revolution parts, wha ah black man doing dey?? How come it didn't have a token white man when they portray the West Indian immigrants coming to the UK?

Maybe my standards too high. That opening ceremony in China was truly a tribute to the human race.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:05:42 PM by dinho »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
I now come to post that I feel I was spoiled by the opening ceremony in China...

This production just too lacking in uniformity and complexity for me. No real wow moments or choreographed routines, alot of people just walking out in the melee.. My bro just pull up a skit from Beijing opening ceremony on youtube and is chalk and cheese.

Also, allyuh check the one token black man in every historical skit. The industrial revolution parts, wha ah black man doing dey?? How come it didn't have a token white man when they portray the West Indian immigrants coming to the UK?

Maybe my standards too high. That opening ceremony in China was truly a tribute to the human race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDY1Ha83M8&feature=colike
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
That was like watching paint dry
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
oh gorm! Allyuh the The Brits ah break nah!!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
Like watchin de english football team play ball
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 05:19:17 AM »
Roger Daniel competes today

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDY1Ha83M8&feature=colike

The NBC announcers were trying their best to rate the opening ceremony highly, although on the whole, its standard was nowhere near that of Beijing in 2008. In fairness though, China was always going to be a hard act to follow and the Chinese had something to prove, so they spared no expense.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
People spoiled by Beijing... yuh have tuh rate each on their own merits though.  Agree however that it was dry in stretches.  Loved the various pop culture references though, to wit: pop culture contributions made by the Brits.

Epic water polo match between the US and Montenegro just now.  Not much of a fan, kinda end up watching by default... but I always marvel at them men ability to tread water and rise above the surface, all without being allowed to touch the bottom of the pool.  Down to the wire...8-7 to the US, Montenegro had a chance to tie with :17 secs left.

AirMan

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
Ah want to see how good this kid really is...rooting for him to do well

http://myvoicetv.net/john-orozco-journey-from-the-bronx-to-training-for-gold/

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

Yeah ah missed the gymnastics earlier today, but ah want to see him and the other Latino fella do well.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »
How dat Frenchman pass Lochte so easy?  Lochte look like he was goin backwards.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:33:19 PM by Peong »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »
Ah having ah hard time coordinating the viewing of the various events... steups.  Not really captivated by the swimming this time around, but still want to see Phelps do well.

Saw a bit of the women's gymnastics tonight... I keep forgetting how much I enjoy women's gymnastics.  I like the men's competition too, but I love watching these little ladies perform, their grace, bravery... and yes, athleticism... is really a pleasure sometimes.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
China killin in de pool

Phelps run real hoes in de off season or wha?

Why is racewalking still a sport?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »
Phelps old. And he forget to take his drugs
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

AirMan

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »

Yeah ah missed the gymnastics earlier today, but ah want to see him and the other Latino fella do well.

Yeah well dem fellas disappoint..dem went from first to fifth

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »
Couldn't find the Olympic bacchanal thread .."

Top athletes want cut of IOC billions as Richards-Ross leads protest

The wife of a multi-millionaire American footballer is leading a campaign to let athletes at Olympic Games share the marketing billions of dollars made by the International Olympic Committee.

Full Story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2181241/London-2012-Olympics-S

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
I am sitting on the fence on this call ...

An Olympic Fencer Refuses To Leave The Floor

In the match that would decide who would fence for the gold, Germany's Britta Heidemann landed a match-clinching touch. But was it in time? South Korea's Shin A Lam didn't think so. So she refused to leave.

Video and commentary in this link

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/an-olympic-fencer-refuses-to-leave-the-floor-after
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »

In the match that would decide who would fence for the gold, Germany's Britta Heidemann landed a match-clinching touch. But was it in time? South Korea's Shin A Lam didn't think so. So she refused to leave.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/an-olympic-fencer-refuses-to-leave-the-floor-after

HA!!!!!!!! I see what you did there sir!  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
Great women's gymnastics today... USA put a proper cut-ass on the field today.  Incredible vault by McKayla Maroney:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RWS1i6p060" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6RWS1i6p060</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »

Where exactly is that video?
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Yo dey rheeeellll oppressing de black man in this gymnastics here dread. He had a bad pummel horse routine with errors and they bull de man with a 12. something score even though he stayed through to finish ... a next man clean fall off the horse and start over and get 13.6+..

Men falling off apparatus and getting 14s wdmc

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:48:47 AM by dinho »

1]; } ?>