March 28, 2024, 05:12:38 AM

Author Topic: Browne wants recognition for Olympians  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Browne wants recognition for Olympians
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Browne_wants_recognition_for_Olympians-164352856.html

Browne wants recognition for Olympians
Story Created: Jul 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM ECT

Vice-president of the Veterans Football Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFFOTT) Selby Browne is calling for the recognition of the three Trinidadian Olympic gold medallists Hasely Crawford, Anthony Nesty and Glenroy Gilbert.

Crawford won gold for T&T in the men's 100m sprint at the 1976 games in Montreal, while Nesty won the 100m butterfly for Suriname in the 1988 games in Seoul, Korea, while Gilbert won gold in the men's 4x100m relay for Canada at the 1996 games in Atlanta.

Browne said: "As we celebrate the second day of the 30th Olympiad, London 2012 and the spirit of Olympians in the camaraderie of sport, I invite you to spare a thought for the members of our national team, pray for their success and best effort, and give thanks to all past national Olympians who have given of their best."

"Let us also recognise with pride the three Trinidadian Olympic Gold medallists, who have had the distinction of standing on the top of that Olympic medal podium. Yes let's say thanks to the families of these three successful Trinidadians of world recognition," he added.

"I mentioned those athletes, because we at VFFOTT hold dearly, our Trinidadian athletes, footballers in particular, who have performed at the highest level globally," he added.

He noted that Randy Samuel from Point Fortin also deserved recognition as the first Trinidadian to play in the FIFA World Cup Finals, representing Canada in 1986.

Meanwhile, VFFOTT received a unanimous vote of support from the football clubs and stakeholders in North Trinidad during a meeting at Paragon Sports Club, Cocorite on Sunday.

Browne confirmed that the past footballers have taken a decision to examine the legality and governance structure of the TTFF.

"Enough is enough. As past players we have a responsibility and we must save the youth footballers and generations to come...It can not be business as usual for the TTFF," he stated.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Browne wants recognition for Olympians
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
I was taking this serious until I saw Randy Samuel name there.

Why Canada dont honour him.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>