March 28, 2024, 06:12:01 PM

Author Topic: Explain "Banton" please.  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Explain "Banton" please.
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
Listening to Trinbago radio online and everyone who called in (shoutouts), seem to have some sort of "Banton" name.. banton this and banton that! Can someone break down banton for me? BTW, not sure where we're heading, but just about every caller (old and young) all seem to have a gunta sort of Jamaican accent. Is the "Trini" accent drying?

Is it just the radio station I'm listening? Red 96.7

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Explain "Banton" please.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
banton means shameless copy cyat trini jackass with no sense of pride.

but in jamiaca it roughly translates into accomplished bard, or talented lyricist.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »
Its something JW and Blaze developed on their morning show. it started off as a fluke where one time Blaze identified one the callers who was a police officer as 'Law Banton' and it just took off from there. JW and Blaze have a very good rapport with their callers, so they nicknamed their callers as a Banton based on for eg, their occupation, interests, football team, character etc. The callers themselves make up their own nicknames. So for eg, there is 'Teacher banton', Barca Banton, etc

Its something unique to the callers of Red 96.7 and i personally see nothing wrong with it and its something the callers and listeners to the station seem to enjoy. And it even blew up so big to the point that just last week Red hosted an 'I am Banton' party that from what i understand was a success.

:)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:20:05 AM »
Its something JW and Blaze developed on their morning show. it started off as a fluke where one time Blaze identified one the callers who was a police officer as 'Law Banton' and it just took off from there. JW and Blaze have a very good rapport with their callers, so they nicknamed their callers as a Banton based on for eg, their occupation, interests, football team, character etc. The callers themselves make up their own nicknames. So for eg, there is 'Teacher banton', Barca Banton, etc

Its something unique to the callers of Red 96.7 and i personally see nothing wrong with it and its something the callers and listeners to the station seem to enjoy. And it even blew up so big to the point that just last week Red hosted an 'I am Banton' party that from what i understand was a success.

Explains the I am Banton fete promo I've been hearing. what about the sort of Jamaican accent callers (majority of them)  seem to be adopting?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
Listening to Trinbago radio online and everyone who called in (shoutouts), seem to have some sort of "Banton" name.. banton this and banton that! Can someone break down banton for me? BTW, not sure where we're heading, but just about every caller (old and young) all seem to have a gunta sort of Jamaican accent. Is the "Trini" accent drying?

Is it just the radio station I'm listening? Red 96.7

family, them men are wannabes, 99% of trini youths never even been around a jamaican but all of them are playing something they are not, jw and blaze fueling another culture.

one big identity crisis... some of my best friends are from yard and they respect me for being a trini, they have no respect for youths who try to play yardie, like whats going on in trini... tt culture is so rich yet they are trying to copy others, it starts with the artists in tt who are also lost...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
some of allyuh need tuh relax

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »

teacher banton...i like that...feel i going and change meh screen name ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

The concerns are well-founded.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »

Indeed! A lot of Trinis take that nonsense too far.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
Allyuh just old and not very hip.  :D
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »

hahahh you like ting eh ;D

Seriously when i was home I really found that several of the young people were speaking with a Jamaican twang.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »

Indeed! A lot of Trinis take that nonsense too far.
Agreed
btw whats this Swag, swagga, swaggerist thing etc I see people have in their name on FB?
and they always posing like they belong to some blasted gang..steups
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »
so banton have a new meaning?  zandolie has the right definition at least what it was back in the day in Jamaica.  so trinis redefining what a banton is?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »

Perhaps... but one of the things that defines a 'culture' is language.  A subset of that is dialect or 'lingo'.  Invariably this will change as people get exposed to external sources... for example, some 'Americanisms' have crept into the local lingo.  The thing with the American influences though is that they largely end up being confined to the "fad" category... whereas the Jamaican influences will find greater cache and resonance, owing to some seeing Jamaican culture as more "authentic" and for some, anti-establishment (the outlaw, rebel or 'gunta' persona).

I also think that the fact that so many of these youths clutching onto the Jamaican culture are often themselves second-generation immigrants from Grenada, St. Vincent etc... and so they don't have as much of an emotional investment in Trini culture as most of us do. In a sense all of these changes to the culture natural and we should just accept that things change over time. However, yuh also can't blame folks for feeling a sense of loss and dismay when they see their own culture being supplanted by that of another island, let alone our fiercest competitors in the region. 

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »

Cool it nah "Juventus Banton"... ;D
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »

Tell dem Bible Banton tell dem.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »

haaaaaaahaha ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »
I hear it on the radio and I doh really feel that vibes, but at the same time it doh really bother me that much...

The funny thing is, back in the 90s when every man jack was a "saddest", "breddren" and "dread" and youth men was listening to sizzla and hailing up "haile selassie I", i sure the older folks used to say the same thing about us.

Maybe is just that allyuh have access to online stream now but it really eh nutten new.. Before banton it was gunta, before gunta it was something else and soon that banton talk will get stale and it will be something else again.

Its not a big deal, allyuh just getting old and talking about the direction which the younger generation going is what old folks do.  :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:36:49 PM by dinho »

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
I hear it on the radio and I doh really feel that vibes, but at the same time it doh really bother me that much...

The funny thing is, back in the 90s when every man jack was a "saddest", "breddren" and "dread" and youth men was listening to sizzla and hailing up "haile selassie I", i sure the older folks used to say the same thing about us.

Maybe is just that allyuh have access to online stream now but it really eh nutten new.. Before banton it was gunta, before gunta it was something else and soon that banton talk will get stale and it will be something else again.

Its not a big deal, allyuh just getting old and talking about the direction which the younger generation going is what old folks do.  :P

but to me that banton talk is real old slang... thais why JW could bring it back because he was in that generation
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »
I mentioned "Banton", but it's more that just a word or phrase. Complete discussions (including the way they pronounce words etc) when they call in. However it was if listening to reggae (dancehall) tracks and not the same as I heard on the ground in Jamaica.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 10:55:56 AM »
its not a generational thing to be disgusted by wholesale copying of another people's culture and language. plenty young people will tell you the same thing. people have to be their own man/woman and not throw so much fake airs and bravado. 

imagine you doing your everyday business and some mook walk up to you and ask you in a fake-ass Jkan accent to buy what he selling/directions/the time etc. you would just shake your head and laugh.

a few new words in the lexicon is one thing. even an accent shift over time is normal and natural.. i know the adolescent brain is wired differently and they will go to great lengths to fit in. but a big hardback man full out copying an accent?  bullshit of the highest order!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:58:53 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »
The thing is the youths ent have nuttin to relate to locally, so they use the closest "cool" in ting.

If the Soca artisites sounding and copying the Jamaicans, doing dancehall tunes or chanting like them yuh cant expect the "sheep" to do nuttin different.

You cant blame them, who they go wanna emulate Machel?..."Heeehh Haaaa" Bungi with he "brrrrrrrrrrtttt" or Dancehall Swappi in he 4d.

The ent have no sportsmen who set a good example...if they ent retire, they pop down or they social life ent somthing to emulate.

But you see the social media and internet/tv/games facebook etc all now are the things that raise the youths today, not the church, family, the neighbourhood, the village or sporting group etc.

Which is why these setta illiterate radio broadcasters on these urban stations have so much power and sway.  It is painful to hear them speak, develop an argument, read the news or have their petty squabbles on air. But that is who educates the youth down here.

These radio men are who educate the youths today, plenty words and slangs that they make up or bring to the fore.

Dont fight it...smile and be thankful you grew up when you did and that you saw and experienced a better T&T.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:33:13 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
The thing is the youths ent have nuttin to relate to locally, so they use the closest "cool" in ting.

If the Soca artisites sounding and copying the Jamaicans, doing dancehall tunes or chanting like them yuh cant expect the "sheep" to do nuttin different.

You cant blame them, who they go wanna emulate Machel?..."Heeehh Haaaa" Bungi with he "brrrrrrrrrrtttt" or Dancehall Swappi in he 4d.

The ent have no sportsmen who set a good example...if they ent retire, they pop down or they social life ent somthing to emulate.

But you see the social media and internet/tv/games facebook etc all now are the things that raise the youths today, not the church, family, the neighbourhood, the village or sporting group etc.

Which is why these setta illiterate radio broadcasters on these urban stations have so much power and sway.  It is painful to hear them speak, develop an argument, read the news or have their petty squabbles on air. But that is who educates the youth down here.

These radio men are who educate the youths today, plenty words and slangs that they make up or bring to the fore.

Dont fight it...smile and be thankful you grew up when you did and that you saw and experienced a better T&T.

That's laughable.   :rotfl: :rotfl:  ian the goose elligon and renne (The BEE) bishop was emulating foreigners as well, but it was them yankee boys some 35 yrs ago.

i remember when renne "B" was on the radio, especially on sataurday mornings, you would think that you were in the middle of beverly hills when he and goose was dropping all them hit songs one after the next with the yankee longo to go along with it.

IMO trinis have no fackin identity! and if you wanted to compare them to a particular ppl, i could find no better example than the japs.

just like trinis, the young japs has abandoned their rich culture for western slop, how fackin stupid. 

and yeh touches, i must agree that these new radio host are dumb, backward and extremely uncultured, not that renne B and the goose was so far ahead of this bunch, though in a different class.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:32:43 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
Rennie Live and work in NY for many, many years so his accent was understandable.  I doh remember the Goose as having such a major accent..I must be forgetting

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
just cool yuh remember Billy Reece..dat was dj   lol

Phil de thrill from Laventille..Rennie de Ice man.

Jim Sutherland

Then newbie Rockin Randy a indian fella with mad remixing skills?

Then came Chinese Laundry

Listen to Rennie working in New York: Mix at Six

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-HHOGmshIg
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:50:04 AM by truetrini SC »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
Thank God for Point Fortin... Trinis to de bone!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
banton means shameless copy cyat trini jackass with no sense of pride.

but in jamiaca it roughly translates into accomplished bard, or talented lyricist.

:rotfl:

Cool it nah "Juventus Banton"... ;D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>