March 28, 2024, 09:35:54 AM

Author Topic: PM booed at band launch  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
PM booed at band launch
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:58:51 AM »

By Nigel Telesford

Story Created: Aug 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM ECT

Story Updated: Aug 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM ECT

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar was loudly booed by patrons after her arrival was announced at the launch of mas band YUMA's 2013 presentation, Imagine, on Wednesday night.

Venue was Queen's Royal College in Port of Spain.

Against proper protocols, the MC at the time announced the arrival of President George Maxwell Richards, followed by the Prime Minister and then visiting Nigerian Head of State, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, when all Heads of State are supposed to be announced before Heads of Government.

However, while Richards and Jonathan received cheers, Persad-Bissessar was booed by a large section of the crowd. All three dignitaries and their entourages left the venue soon after.

It was just after 11 p.m. and the audience of hundreds had grown restless while waiting for the costumes to be presented. Throughout the evening, DJs Sean Christian, 5Star Akil and Studio Guys Movement kept the gathering entertained with a hype mix of popular music while advertising the arrival of "some very special guests".

Scheduled to run from 6 p.m. to midnight, by the time the costume presentation began following the arrival of the "special guests", it was received as an anticlimactic interruption of the festivities.

Expressions of elation quickly changed to confusion and then astonishment, as the audience reacted negatively to the 13 sections of the band.

The negative comments blasted throughout the social networks as the costumes were unveiled. Similar to the backlash experienced by Island People following its 2012 launch of HEROES, the YUMA presentation created an instant buzz of negative reactions online.

YUMA's 2013 presentation, Imagine, is designed by Crystal Aming, Stacy Barrow, Derron Dune, Jannelle Layne, Rawle Permanand, Christine Saddler and Stacy David.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: PM booed at band launch
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »
As anecdotal and unscientific this is I don't think you there's more visceral gauge of public opinion of a government or leader outside of an election than they way they are greeted in these settings.

I remember the way Manning was greeted with loud applause in 2006 at the event held to honour the Soca Warriors and the way Gary Hunt was booed and Jack Warner was applauded before a World Cup Qualifier in 2009. In each case the results of the next election was consistent with the public's reaction.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
partisan crowd?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
it good
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »
let the "positive" blogging begin ;) seriously though it would have been interesting to see the make up of the crowd just to eliminate race as a dominant overriding factor 
I pity the fool....

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
let the "positive" blogging begin ;) seriously though it would have been interesting to see the make up of the crowd just to eliminate race as a dominant overriding factor 
I went to their launch last year. It was very diverse.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:11:56 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
Members of the last PNM administration was booed in Skinner Park during Calypso Fiesta during carnival season 2010.  And that crowd is supposedly a "partisan crowd"......

Like you Jah Gol although its unscientific, I find reactions like that tend to give you a good guide to public mood overall in the country.  And the general consesus is, this PP Government real firetrucking up.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »
I went to their launch last year. It was very diverse.

ok ...............I jus feel it lil necessary to know these tings because I real tired ah d "is because we doh like d "indian" :-\ govt" arguments dat being implied or boldly pronounced here and elsewhere when d PP come under d microscope........d ting is I know real indian dat plenty vex and vocally so.........dem racial too den ???

Members of the last PNM administration was booed in Skinner Park during Calypso Fiesta during carnival season 2010.  And that crowd is supposedly a "partisan crowd"......

Like you Jah Gol although its unscientific, I find reactions like that tend to give you a good guide to public mood overall in the country.  And the general consesus is, this PP Government real firetrucking up.....

brownie it have man living here, seeing and hearin what everybody seeing/hearing and still want to say we being unfair to this gov't.........I could jus imagine if dem had d kinda d money manning admin had and wasted, they would have done a far "better" job of wasting and squandering it........it is plane to see..............for those willing or able to see

dis country cyar go nowhere if dont put race aside and demand good governance 100% of the time................
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:18:47 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
I find it especially shocking that she was booed at a band launching. People are typically much more merry and light-hearted at these events. lol
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
I find it especially shocking that she was booed at a band launching. People are typically much more merry and light-hearted at these events. lol
dont know if u live here but d economy on a slippery slope and all dem studying is to stuff PP pliant faces into important posting with no regard for whether dese people can do d job at hand................so far is only Larry Howaii appointment dat make any kinda sense...to me...........I admire the fact that he has tried to be as honest as possible in his pronouncement....so far............dat as been nonexistent with this Gov't otherwise
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »

Yeah I was a bit surprised at that too......that is usually reserved for the Skinner Park/Calypso Fiesta crowd.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
Eh please people leave my PM alone ,Kams gul dont bother with them you going good jus so do your thing .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
I feel the PN bus people in to boo our beloved PM ::)

1]; } ?>