April 27, 2024, 11:52:33 PM

Author Topic: To meddle in a medal discussion  (Read 1477 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
To meddle in a medal discussion
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
Am I the only person who has a problem with the use of the noun - medal - as a verb? It is now common place to hear someone say, "the athlete should 'medal' in the event" while medal is defined as a metal disc with an inscription or design, awarded for an achievement or to mark an event. The verb is meddle and that means to interfere in something that doesn't concern you. I can ignore it now so that I don't correct people when I hear them using it, but wow it bothers me. Olympic Games time is prime time for hearing medal the noun become a verb so is pressure like gobar.

So am I the only one?

That ends my rant. Carry on.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: To meddle in a medal discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/medal

medal

1) medal (noun)
2) medal (verb)

2medal verb
intransitive verb
: to win a medal <medaled in figure skating>

Don't let your jimmies get rustled
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »
I'm sure you found that in an American dictionary.  ;D

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
I'm sure you found that in an American dictionary.  ;D

The only one that matters.  ;)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »
Oxford Dictionary

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/medal?q=medal

Definition of medal
noun
    a metal disc typically of the size of a large coin and bearing an inscription or design, made to commemorate an event or awarded as a distinction to someone such as a soldier or athlete.

verb (medals, medalling, medalled; US medals, medaling, medaled)

1 [no object] US win a medal in a sporting event: Larsen medaled in 4th place in the 3,200 meter run

2 [with object] (often as adjective medalled) decorate or honour with a medal: the most medalled athlete in Britain

Derivatives

medallic
adjective

Origin:

late 16th century: from French médaille, from Italian medaglia, from medieval Latin medalia 'half a denarius', from Latin medialis 'medial'

Do not confuse medal with meddle. Medal means 'a metal disc given as an award' ( a gold medal), whereas meddle means 'interfere' ( don’t meddle in people’s lives).
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
Do not confuse medal with meddle. Medal means 'a metal disc given as an award' ( a gold medal), whereas meddle means 'interfere' ( don’t meddle in people’s lives).[/
The dictionary aded this or this is your addition?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
Do not confuse medal with meddle. Medal means 'a metal disc given as an award' ( a gold medal), whereas meddle means 'interfere' ( don’t meddle in people’s lives).[/
The dictionary aded this or this is your addition?

Yuh lazy eh?  Yuh eh see de man give yuh ah link? lol

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:34:29 AM »
Oxford Dictionary

Definition of medal
noun
    a metal disc typically of the size of a large coin and bearing an inscription or design, made to commemorate an event or awarded as a distinction to someone such as a soldier or athlete.

1 [no object] US win a medal in a sporting event: Larsen medaled in 4th place in the 3,200 meter run

2 [with object] (often as adjective medalled) decorate or honour with a medal: the most medalled athlete in Britain

Derivatives

medallic
adjective

Origin:

late 16th century: from French médaille, from Italian medaglia, from medieval Latin medalia 'half a denarius', from Latin medialis 'medial'

Do not confuse medal with meddle. Medal means 'a metal disc given as an award' ( a gold medal), whereas meddle means 'interfere' ( don’t meddle in people’s lives).

Doh worry about this medal/meddle situation....WTF is a 3,200 meter run? Is that something the man from the electricity company does? God, these people so smart they couldn't give a simple example like 400 metres race? :frustrated:

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »
Oxford Dictionary

Definition of medal
noun

Derivatives

medallic
adjective

Origin:

Doh worry about this medal/meddle situation....WTF is a 3,200 meter run? Is that something the man from the electricity company does? God, these people so smart they couldn't give a simple example like 400 metres race? :frustrated:

ha ha

these are lexicographers muddling in meddling and medalling examples.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »
 ;D

1]; } ?>